Hard Brexit

Bridge of Djoum

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, Boris said:

Ah, so not so much faith in Britain, rather which foreign company can pick up the pieces? 

Sounds like a plan!

Absolute nap Seymour's a fan of privatised rail too. That's privatised rail... which is owned by a bunch of profiteering foreign governments, who make ridiculous sums while British commuters pay through the nose to be packed like sardines onto trains which are either cancelled or late every single day.

More broadly, you know what's so revealing about Seymour the Thatcherite Brexiteer Tory (and Liverpool fan - truly, he's one of a kind)'s views? He's proving he understands absolutely eff all about business - which has to plan ahead, and hates uncertainty. If our government won't face up to reality (and it won't), business has to instead. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Francis Albert

• jake

• Boris

• Ulysses

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thunderstruck
29 minutes ago, Boris said:

Those non EU suppliers that I would imagine have trade deals with the eu? 

At the moment, no deal is looking a possibility, therefore UK not so attractive? 

Until a deal, if any, is struck, you can't lump the UK in with other non EU nations. 

I’m sure that Airbus is also hoping that Trump’s Tariffs don’t impact heavily on the supply chain for the A350 which will be a significant part of its workload as A380 orders tail off.  A sizeable part of that aircraft’s composite fuselage is manufactured in Kansas. 

I am hoping that all of these issues give cause for a rethink on Brexit but, for that to work, the EU needs to remember that you will catch more flies with sugar than vinegar. 

Thunderstruck
29 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Absolute nap Seymour's a fan of privatised rail too. That's privatised rail... which is owned by a bunch of profiteering foreign governments, who make ridiculous sums while British commuters pay through the nose to be packed like sardines onto trains which are either cancelled or late every single day.

More broadly, you know what's so revealing about Seymour the Thatcherite Brexiteer Tory (and Liverpool fan - truly, he's one of a kind)'s views? He's proving he understands absolutely eff all about business - which has to plan ahead, and hates uncertainty. If our government won't face up to reality (and it won't), business has to instead. 

Ehm, Network Rail - the main villain in the current timetabling fiasco - who owns that?

shaun.lawson
9 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Ehm, Network Rail - the main villain in the current timetabling fiasco - who owns that?

Network Rail isn't "the main villain". The franchises and the government - through the idiot Grayling - are. It's the franchises which refuse to invest in new track and infrastructure, because their shareholders are all that count. It's the franchises which don't plan ahead - because why bother when they've got guaranteed tender and a government which bails them out whenever they feel like it?

If it wasn't for Network Rail, things would be a whole lot worse. What do I base that on? Grim memories of its predecessor Railtrack: under whose watch tracks started falling apart up and down the country, leading to various crashes. 

Thunderstruck
8 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Network Rail isn't "the main villain". The franchises and the government - through the idiot Grayling - are. It's the franchises which refuse to invest in new track and infrastructure, because their shareholders are all that count. It's the franchises which don't plan ahead - because why bother when they've got guaranteed tender and a government which bails them out whenever they feel like it?

If it wasn't for Network Rail, things would be a whole lot worse. What do I base that on? Grim memories of its predecessor Railtrack: under whose watch tracks started falling apart up and down the country, leading to various crashes. 

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/who-we-are/how-we-work/how-were-governed-and-managed/how-were-funded/

Space Mackerel
5 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

I would look for a “made in” sticker before getting on one of the smaller Airbus aircraft...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/airbus-china-factory-a320-2015-8?r=US&IR=T

I would be concerned if the wings made in Wales were outsourced to the lowest bidder. 

That aside, the fact that there is no issue within Airbus over existing plants in the US and China or with non-EU suppliers such as BF Goodrich (landing gear from US and Canada) makes this concern over Brexit seem like a bit of politics. 

That looks like final assembly. I’m talking about the nitty gritty components right down to the tensile strength of individual titanium bolts. 

The US aviation industry fight a losing battle against cloned bits and bobs, something like from memory is that 10 of spares are counterfeit. 

Seymour M Hersh
5 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Thanks for replying.

I have no faith whatsoever. No deal and most likely a shit deal will see jobs and companies leave the UK. No question of that. Perhaps not on day 1 but it will happen.

So who or what fills the void. Service jobs? Border force and customs jobs?

What happens politically? The raison d'etre of the current Tory party is gone once they achieve Brexit, although it will probably continue to devour itself over some other bogeyman issue around immigration or some other fictitious pish.

Life will undoubtedly go on after 29th March 2019 but we'll all likely be poorer for it.

So you have absolute faith in the EU then?  Your only accurate comment there is life will go on. Where you think we will be poorer I believe we have the opportunity to be successful and richer.

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

:cornette:

Holy shit. Even the UK government knows no deal is a catastrophe scenario. Yet we now have our own Foreign Secretary saying "**** business". 

Brexit = the lunatics taking over the asylum. And you're one of them. We can only hope that Europe saves the UK from itself, and deluded quarter-wits like you who seem to think it's 1940, when it's actually 2018.

Go Panama!! 

:bolt:

AlphonseCapone
On 6/22/2018 at 22:07, Seymour M Hersh said:

This is the same Airbus who threatened to pull out of the UK years ago if we didn't join the Euro. Does this not even give you the slightest pause for thought as to their motive and conviction to actually do it?  And if French or Dutch politicians were putting heat on them to make these threats then yes it does matter.

I assume you'll have a similar attitude to Scottish independence when all the stories of companies pulling out crop up again. 

48 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I assume you'll have a similar attitude to Scottish independence when all the stories of companies pulling out crop up again. 

Both are shite situations which will initially do more economic harm than good. Brexit - however - gives you a good idea of the consequences of ending political and economic  unions.

Edited by JamboX2

Worthing Jambo

I keep hearing of these trade deals.

Does anyone know what we have to trade that isn’t “foreign” owned?

I have zero faith that any of our politicians have the integrity to do what’s best.

Too busy being worked from the back by lobbiests!

15 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

Both are shite situations which will initially do more economic harm than good. Brexit - however - gives you a good idea of the consequences of ending political and economic  unions.

And what are these consequences exactly?

They have been so far educated guesses that have not panned out.

13 minutes ago, jake said:

And what are these consequences exactly?

They have been so far educated guesses that have not panned out.

Wait till the final deal is reached. But the noises coming from the TUC, CBI, the City and industry leaders avross the UK isn't healthy. See Airbus this week. Jaguar moving their Discovery plant to Slovakia was announced this month. There's no deal which meets the red lines of the UK government which seems to be welcome by business.

Even Mr Mogg's firm has moved to Ireland.

Edited by JamboX2

1 minute ago, JamboX2 said:

Wait till the final deal is reached. But the noises coming from the TUC, CBI, the City and industry leaders avross the UK isn't healthy. See Airbus this week. Jaguar moving their Discovery plant to Slovakia was announced this month. 

X2 

Regarding the move to Slovakia.

Its actually upgrading the plant and it's longer term investment in the UK.

Yes the TUC CBI and the city have expressed concern.

Many forecast we would already be in a worse situation.

22 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Why you feel the need to label someone who has different views to you says plenty .

And your suggestion that business takes over democracy is some craick .

Thunderstruck
45 minutes ago, jake said:

X2 

Regarding the move to Slovakia.

Its actually upgrading the plant and it's longer term investment in the UK.

Yes the TUC CBI and the city have expressed concern.

Many forecast we would already be in a worse situation.

Thats right, JLR are moving production of the Discovery, a relatively low volume model, to a new plant in Slovakia to make way for further development of other models including electric variants. 

Given that this has been on the drawing board since early 2015, it’s a bit of a leap to point to Brexit as a cause. 

4 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

Thats right, JLR are moving production of the Discovery, a relatively low volume model, to a new plant in Slovakia to make way for further development of other models including electric variants. 

Given that this has been on the drawing board since early 2015, it’s a bit of a leap to point to Brexit as a cause. 

It was a point made earlier in the thread.

I'm not saying people shouldn't post the concerns about brexit.

But there is a lot of scaremongering don't you agree.

Thunderstruck
45 minutes ago, jake said:

It was a point made earlier in the thread.

I'm not saying people shouldn't post the concerns about brexit.

But there is a lot of scaremongering don't you agree.

There certainly is but the golden rule is...

E9231E29-4E6A-4991-A4B3-60AD51725E85.jpeg

Thunderstruck
32 minutes ago, Boris said:

Very.

The Brexiteers couldn't really care about the EU in or out.  This comes across as a scam to make lots of money!

That is the way Hedge Funds do business. We are told that investors and business “never waste a good crisis” - perhaps that is what Airbus and BMW are doing. 

The villains of the piece are commercial pollsters. There is too much doubt over whether they are simply reflecting opinion or influencing opinion.

I see that the Bloomberg report also mentions the YouGov poll in the Scottish Referendum. I attended a John Curtice lecture at Glasgow Uni just after that was published when he cautioned a gaggle of high-fiving Yes voters that the poll was a clear outlier and might not have been asking the right questions; he, as we know, was correct. 

In any event, banning them from publishing on the day of the poll is almost useless given the volume of postal/absent voting. I would have them banned from any involvement in elections after publication of the notice of that election and certainly no later than the first date for the opening of postal votes which can be as much as 5 weeks before polling day. If we had an Electoral Commission fit for purpose, this could already have been in place. 

26 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

That is the way Hedge Funds do business. We are told that investors and business “never waste a good crisis” - perhaps that is what Airbus and BMW are doing. 

The villains of the piece are commercial pollsters. There is too much doubt over whether they are simply reflecting opinion or influencing opinion.

I see that the Bloomberg report also mentions the YouGov poll in the Scottish Referendum. I attended a John Curtice lecture at Glasgow Uni just after that was published when he cautioned a gaggle of high-fiving Yes voters that the poll was a clear outlier and might not have been asking the right questions; he, as we know, was correct. 

In any event, banning them from publishing on the day of the poll is almost useless given the volume of postal/absent voting. I would have them banned from any involvement in elections after publication of the notice of that election and certainly no later than the first date for the opening of postal votes which can be as much as 5 weeks before polling day. If we had an Electoral Commission fit for purpose, this could already have been in place. 

I don't disgaree with you regards polling/pollsters/publication of polls.  It would be refreshing going into a vote not knowing what may happen!

Another EU summit.

Another round of humilitation as the UK has made no progress in organising Brexit since the last summit in march, or since the one before that in december last year.

Still no solutions for the Irish border, customs, business, immigration, international policing or any other aspect.

The Mighty Thor

Maybot is telling anyone who will listen that negotiations will definitely speed up now.

Apparently it'll all be signed and sealed when the council meet in October. 

Right you are then.:cornette:

Lord Ashcroft (billionaire tory donor and ardent leave campaigner) is advising UK businesses to move to Malta so they can still have access to the EU after brexit (and will benefit form the island's tax haven status).

:cornette: 

The brexit negotiations are not priority at this summit for the 27 .

Merkel describing beforehand make or break for the EU  the way to handle immigration.

Thunderstruck
18 minutes ago, jake said:

The brexit negotiations are not priority at this summit for the 27 .

Merkel describing beforehand make or break for the EU  the way to handle immigration.

It is make or break for Merkel. She is in trouble domestically and some suggest that she might not last the summer. 

It now looks like a quota system will be introduced with no refugees accepted unless first processed at or near their point of origin. Exactly the system put in place by David Cameron. 

There is also some suggestion that Schengen might be ended as a result of the current immigration crisis. 

The Tory government is basically now in an end state of being Emperor Nero having a go on the fiddle while Rome burned.     They really do not give shit #1.

Theresa May has, from day 1 in the job,  been fulfilling a lifestyle for herself and nothing further.    Not actually achieving anything?     Don't give a ****.     Not actually in power?     Don't give a ****.     Gimme the job title,     all the trappings of office and I'll see you on the multi-million pound speakers tour soon.     

Seymour M Hersh
14 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Maybot is telling anyone who will listen that negotiations will definitely speed up now.

Apparently it'll all be signed and sealed when the council meet in October. 

Right you are then.:cornette:

Not that I'm suggesting she is doing a decent job but why should it be signed and sealed now if we have until March 2019?  It's not as if the EU move quickly either as it took them over ten years to get a trade agreement with a single country!!

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Thunderstruck
49 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The Tory government is basically now in an end state of being Emperor Nero having a go on the fiddle while Rome burned.     They really do not give shit #1.

Theresa May has, from day 1 in the job,  been fulfilling a lifestyle for herself and nothing further.    Not actually achieving anything?     Don't give a ****.     Not actually in power?     Don't give a ****.     Gimme the job title,     all the trappings of office and I'll see you on the multi-million pound speakers tour soon.     

Replace Tory with SNP and May with Sturgeon and tell us that isn’t equally valid. 

41 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Replace Tory with SNP and May with Sturgeon and tell us that isn’t equally valid. 

It isn't, and you know it!

May's premiership is about holding the Tory Party together and damn the best interests ofthe nation.

You don't like the SNP, but they are governing, and on the face of it at least are a united entity.

41 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Utter rubbish.    The SNP have delivered a clear and consistent message from the outset regarding what they want Brexit to mean and not mean.     The Tories are chronically incapable of agreeing anything.      They have a complete disconnect from the realities and implications of the chaos they have caused.     They hold no stake of risk with the population and can sail off into the sunset while our economy burns.     The SNP is charged with managing the economy and government offices of Scotland whilst severely hamstrung by austerity and Brexit chaos.     They have and will continue to perform their functions from a standpoint of doing as a good a job as possible because at the end of the day,    they share the same concerns for the wellbeing of society.     A party and government made up of working class or professional people who have some grasp of what it is to be anything other than well off.

1 hour ago, Boris said:

May's premiership is about holding the Tory Party together and damn the best interests ofthe nation.

You don't like the SNP, but they are governing, and on the face of it at least are a united entity.

I'd say there is a bigger split regarding the EU in SNP ranks than Tories.

But tactically those leave voters are happy to pressurise Westminster .

And quite rightly so.

Perhaps if the remain side of the Tory party allowed the government to deal with brexit and respect democracy .

May might be able to get on with the job.

Given her circumstances she is actually doing ok.

2 minutes ago, jake said:

I'd say there is a bigger split regarding the EU in SNP ranks than Tories.

But tactically those leave voters are happy to pressurise Westminster .

And quite rightly so.

If there is, it isn't visible, which kinda proves my point.

Thunderstruck
20 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Utter rubbish.    The SNP have delivered a clear and consistent message from the outset regarding what they want Brexit to mean and not mean.     The Tories are chronically incapable of agreeing anything.      They have a complete disconnect from the realities and implications of the chaos they have caused.     They hold no stake of risk with the population and can sail off into the sunset while our economy burns.     The SNP is charged with managing the economy and government offices of Scotland whilst severely hamstrung by austerity and Brexit chaos.     They have and will continue to perform their functions from a standpoint of doing as a good a job as possible because at the end of the day,    they share the same concerns for the wellbeing of society.     A party and government made up of working class or professional people who have some grasp of what it is to be anything other than well off.

1 hour ago, Boris said:

The overarching aim of the SNP is independence; that is not a secret. If, however, pursuit of that aim interferes with the, as you put it, “well-being of society” then they are not acting in the best interests of Scotland or those who live here. It interferes by taking a significant amount of resource away from management of the country - the “day job”. 

Only this week, we had a mumbled notification that the flagship Education Bill is being abandoned after several years of work and God knows what amount of publicity c expenditure. Education is a fundamental and they asked to be judged in the outcome. That outcome is not getting them an A* or a smiley face in their jotters. How long will we have to wait - a generation?

Sturgeon is also in a struggle between factions - the “Indy at all costs” faction vs the more pragmatic “let’s first take time and get it right” faction. This is largely under the surface but failure to quickly deliver another referendum (something she does not want to do) will see a more obvious schism. 

As for the the SNP and Brexit - it is sheer opportunism. Originally, Sturgeon thought that Scotland “getting dragged out of EU against its wishes” would give her a pretext. It didn’t. They want to try to frustrate the negotiations as the see the U.K. outside the EU as harmful to the economic case for independence. Are they concerned with the effects of their machinations on the deal and how that might affect ordinary working folk? They are not. 

The bit in bold - by Sturgeon’s own admission, austerity began in 2007/2008 - the best part of 3 years before the Tories came to power. Why was that?

I have little time for the Tories but an increase in total public expenditure of some £300billion since 2010 and now closing in on £1trillion is hardly austerity in the true sense of the word. They may have chosen to manage spending differently and provide different departments with variable levels of growth but that is the job of the executive arm of government, to obtain best value. 

On devolution, they are the antithesis of a government that wants to centralise and hold power (the SNP). They have given significant powers to the metropolitan areas and allow much greater flexibility in terms of retention and use of local taxation. 

On Brexit, it is noticeable that May is a bit chirpier after the events of yesterday. It may be that the “Freedom of Movement” side of the equation insisted upon by the EU might be the first victim of the “migrant crisis”. As Tim Marshall says in this week’s Spectator, walls are returning and not just along the Rio Grande. In fact, he argues that building a wall would make Trump the norm and not the exception. 

Seymour M Hersh
22 hours ago, Victorian said:

Hello Mr Murrell, how are you? :laugh:

The Mighty Thor
On 6/29/2018 at 12:13, Seymour M Hersh said:

Not that I'm suggesting she is doing a decent job but why should it be signed and sealed now if we have until March 2019?  It's not as if the EU move quickly either as it took them over ten years to get a trade agreement with a single country!!

Do you think, given the talent involved and the speed of process, that the UK government will be able to secure a deal, any sort of a deal, in under 9 months?

11 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Do you think, given the talent involved and the speed of process, that the UK government will be able to secure a deal, any sort of a deal, in under 9 months?

100% absolutely not.

Which is what most of them want anyway. 

The Real Maroonblood
On 24/06/2018 at 22:53, Thunderstruck said:

There certainly is but the golden rule is...

E9231E29-4E6A-4991-A4B3-60AD51725E85.jpeg

You should remember this when you post drivel.

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Probably. Just have to look at how the EU cobbled together a fudge over migration (that probably won't survive the first crisis) the other day. It seems to be the way of the political elite nowadays. Everything last minute. Maybe they think it makes them look good! 

The Mighty Thor
44 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Probably. Just have to look at how the EU cobbled together a fudge over migration (that probably won't survive the first crisis) the other day. It seems to be the way of the political elite nowadays. Everything last minute. Maybe they think it makes them look good! 

It's apples and oranges IMO. I take your point though.

I don't think there will be a deal in place. I think a no deal suits a large chunk of the Tory's anti Europe faction. It stokes the grievance and will drive them further and further right. 

I think this will really create a dis-united kingdom driven by factional politics from an increasingly English and insular Westminster. 

26 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It's apples and oranges IMO. I take your point though.

I don't think there will be a deal in place. I think a no deal suits a large chunk of the Tory's anti Europe faction. It stokes the grievance and will drive them further and further right. 

I think this will really create a dis-united kingdom driven by factional politics from an increasingly English and insular Westminster. 

I've lived in Westminster for 24 years and I see the opposite of that.

AlphonseCapone
On 6/29/2018 at 12:13, Seymour M Hersh said:

Because the deal has to be ratified through 27 parliaments across Europe. 

On 6/29/2018 at 13:00, Thunderstruck said:

You have a pathological obsession with the SNP.

Seymour M Hersh
6 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Because the deal has to be ratified through 27 parliaments across Europe. 

You have a pathological obsession with the SNP.

Well that's up to them to get it done not the UK to get it done early to help them. 

AlphonseCapone
6 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Well that's up to them to get it done not the UK to get it done early to help them. 

That's not how deals and negotiations work. There's a set deadline, it's up to both sides to get it done in time. The UK isn't in the position to dictate timings to the EU anyway because they need a deal more than the EU does. 

Bottom line is we cannot leave.The referendum vote was 37.4% to leave and 3.5m workers who pay tax were denied the vote.If you came from Poland or France no vote but Cyprus Malta Gibraltar and Eire you did get a vote. In the Scottish referendum everyone who lived and worked in Scotland got a vote.If you lived any where else no vote.The E U wanted to bring in a rule to stop E U workers under cutting wages etc. The U K government vetoed it

28 minutes ago, Boab1874 said:

Bottom line is we cannot leave.The referendum vote was 37.4% to leave and 3.5m workers who pay tax were denied the vote.If you came from Poland or France no vote but Cyprus Malta Gibraltar and Eire you did get a vote. In the Scottish referendum everyone who lived and worked in Scotland got a vote.If you lived any where else no vote.The E U wanted to bring in a rule to stop E U workers under cutting wages etc. The U K government vetoed it

What rule did the EU want to bring in?

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That's not how deals and negotiations work. There's a set deadline, it's up to both sides to get it done in time. The UK isn't in the position to dictate timings to the EU anyway because they need a deal more than the EU does. 

So in essence you want to cow tow to the EU. One of the reasons i voted leave. And we're inbound a stronger position than you seem to understand. We can walk away with no deal. No "divorce" payment no nothing and work under WTO trade rules.