Hard Brexit

Bridge of Djoum

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

The technology is there. Here’s an example or two. Order an item on line and it can be tracked all the way from the depot to your door. 

I recently had to get my MacBook repaired. I made an appointment on line to visit the store on Princes Street and as I made my way on that day  to the store I got a message on my phone saying welcome to the Apple Store as I approached the store. Cars are another example of technology. The Merc I had would communicate with Daimler Headquarters and update my location, service needs etc. in real time. I was phoned by them to make an appointment for a service that was due.

So for any of the doubters who dismiss the Technology as none existent trust me it’s there. 

It exists in principle, but can it be scaled up deliver the seamless and friction free border that is required, at this moment, I do not think it can.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Francis Albert

• jake

• Boris

• Ulysses

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

maroonlegions
29 minutes ago, Rab87 said:

The can is well and truly being kicked down the road.

Delaying the inevitable in my opinion. There is no feasible solution to the Irish border issue that will keep everyone happy. Unless I have missed something...?

Irish border??

Image may contain: 1 person

:kirk:

maroonlegions

Another year, Maybot incites, another year to plant the seed of another magic money tree to find another £1.5 billion  or more to bribe the DUP to turning a wee blind eye to the British border in Iroland.

Yip its turned into a May and the Beanstalk Christmas panto.

"Oh no we cant", "oh yes we can".

"Its behind you May", aye the stark reality that you are one fecking insane sociopath.

:jj_facepalm:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmniaf/329/329.pdf

“We heard numerous proposals for how regulatory and customs compliance measures could be enacted away from the border using tools such as joint policing, mobile patrols, risk analysis, cameras and digital customs declarations,”

“We have, however, had no visibility of any technical solutions, anywhere in the world, beyond the aspirational, that would remove the need for physical infrastructure at the border.”

An example is the Sweden-Norway border, where a fully electronic system helps to share information across the two countries. Despite this people still have to be stopped and vehicles X-rayed.

Over to you, Brexit Unicorns

10 minutes ago, Cade said:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmniaf/329/329.pdf

“We heard numerous proposals for how regulatory and customs compliance measures could be enacted away from the border using tools such as joint policing, mobile patrols, risk analysis, cameras and digital customs declarations,”

“We have, however, had no visibility of any technical solutions, anywhere in the world, beyond the aspirational, that would remove the need for physical infrastructure at the border.”

An example is the Sweden-Norway border, where a fully electronic system helps to share information across the two countries. Despite this people still have to be stopped and vehicles X-rayed.

Over to you, Brexit Unicorns

Stopping and checking a small amount of vehicles away from the border does not constitute a hard border. You just want a hard border for other reasons, thinking it will help the independence debate.

1 minute ago, jambo lodge said:

Stopping and checking a small amount of vehicles away from the border does not constitute a hard border. You just want a hard border for other reasons, thinking it will help the independence debate.

It does in the eyes of some though.

If the solution existed, why are these negotiations not complete? What is the hold up?

Some solutions exist, but none that keep all parties happy. That is the issue here. 

1 minute ago, jambo lodge said:

Yip.

The irony is that if a hard border is needed in Ireland, then the SNP will have to create one with England, so perhaps they should be investing in getting this one proven first!

:silviodamn:

6 minutes ago, Rab87 said:

It does in the eyes of some though.

If the solution existed, why are these negotiations not complete? What is the hold up?

Some solutions exist, but none that keep all parties happy. That is the issue here. 

There is no physical border checks between France and Monaco...…...where there is a will there is a way.  

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

As a matter interest what the situation regards gilbrator? Going to be a hard border or is this treated differently for a reason I’m unaware of?

Gib's an Overseas Territory, and didn't automatically get to be part of the EU when the UK joined, although they eventually got the right to vote in EU elections in 2004. 

I'm assuming that they'll be leaving with the uk though, they were certainly part of the referendum with 96% voting to remain.

Anyone who's been to Gibraltar by road will know that long border queues and checks are already par for the course whether in or out of the EU anyway!

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Something tells me that whatever anyone tells you it is still the UK's fault.  Remain lost, time to man up and accept it.

See the post below, which says all I need to say on the matter.

Trying to explain this to the remoaners is sadly a lost cause as they aren't interested.

We'll all have to man up and accept it. Whatever form 'It' takes. 

The 'unicorns' technical solution mentioned is jaw dropping in its naivete both as a workable or acceptable solution to anyone other than a cabal of  hard line Tory halfwits or indeed something which can be delivered or implemented in any kind of useful timescale. 

Trying to point out the obvious and fundamental flaws of pretty much all of the hard Brexit plans is tiresome. No wonder the EU give May short shrift. It's moonbeams stuff. 

19 minutes ago, jambo lodge said:

There is no physical border checks between France and Monaco...…...where there is a will there is a way.  

That is simplifying the issue though.

There will need to be border checks between NI and ROI. Nobody can decide how that happens.

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

We'll all have to man up and accept it. Whatever form 'It' takes. 

The 'unicorns' technical solution mentioned is jaw dropping in its naivete both as a workable or acceptable solution to anyone other than a cabal of  hard line Tory halfwits or indeed something which can be delivered or implemented in any kind of useful timescale. 

Trying to point out the obvious and fundamental flaws of pretty much all of the hard Brexit plans is tiresome. No wonder the EU give May short shrift. It's moonbeams stuff. 

So to sum up your post, we shouldn't leave because you think its a bad idea.  Yet again you accuse May of being inflexible but think its perfectly fine for the EU to refuse to negotiate.  Please explain how that can lead to anything other than a No Deal brexit?

I am losing patience with people who don't respect the democratic will of the people.  We decided to leave, and that is what has to be implemented.  If the EU are pissing us about, which is what appears to be happening, we need to make it clear that we are going to walk.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

So to sum up your post, we shouldn't leave because you think its a bad idea.  Yet again you accuse May of being inflexible but think its perfectly fine for the EU to refuse to negotiate.  Please explain how that can lead to anything other than a No Deal brexit?

I am losing patience with people who don't respect the democratic will of the people.  We decided to leave, and that is what has to be implemented.  If the EU are pissing us about, which is what appears to be happening, we need to make it clear that we are going to walk.

How exactly are the EU pissing us about?

It is the UK who cannot decide the terms we want to leave on.

1 minute ago, Rab87 said:

How exactly are the EU pissing us about?

It is the UK who cannot decide the terms we want to leave on.

No, it is the EU who are saying No to everything put at them - particularly the Irish Border.  There comes a point where you we have to say, here is our final offer - take it or leave it.

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

No, it is the EU who are saying No to everything put at them - particularly the Irish Border.  There comes a point where you we have to say, here is our final offer - take it or leave it.

From what we are being told, it is only the Irish border left to solve, everything else is closed to being signed off.

I think the DUP red lines, are preventing the UK from proposing any sensible solution regarding the border. They are not going away any time soon. 

The Mighty Thor
17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You won.

Where's plan A? B? Any plan?

What's the hold up?

Why have you not got a workable non unicorn/moonbeam border solution?

You won. You've had two years. 

Two full years.

The UK is pissing about. Two years, no credible, meaningful or remotely workable plans other than telling them to ram it and threatening not to pay up.

Good job.

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You won.

Where's plan A? B? Any plan?

What's the hold up?

Why have you not got a workable non unicorn/moonbeam border solution?

You won. You've had two years. 

Two full years.

The UK is pissing about. Two years, no credible, meaningful or remotely workable plans other than telling them to ram it and threatening not to pay up.

Good job.

Did that come from the SNP referendum white paper? 

24 minutes ago, frankblack said:

So when the people vote in an election should it be forever ?

At one point in time the vote was to leave..if we voted today I'm pretty sure we would vote to stay in.

Time for a new vote based on the realities of leaving and not the lies peddled by the leavers

19 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Cheers I have never been. Is it worth going to as an aside?

So even though both in EU they have border checks? Seems a bit counter to Eu stance on freedom of movement.

I thought like over 10,000 Spanish workers commented to the island. Do they have to go through border control day to day?

Gibraltar's brilliant, totally unique and well worth a visit, I've been a few times. It's small though, it won't take you long to see everything, but where else in Europe will you see wild monkeys kicking about the streets? St Michael's Cave is worth the visit alone for me. 

Spain have long wanted Gib back and hate the British having it, it's a very regular occurrence for them to close the border and impose stringent checks, just to be inconvenient. 

I don't know loads of details, I've got one Gib mate but he's over there just now (celebrating two wins in a row!) so I can't ask him. But as I remember it Spaniards get through easy enough (it's imposed by Spain) as do Gib-born Brits, but regular British passport holders...

Just now, CJGJ said:

At one point in time the vote was to leave..if we voted today I'm pretty sure we would vote to stay in.

Time for a new vote based on the realities of leaving and not the lies peddled by the leavers

When a democratic decision is made is is implemented and time given to see the impact.  We haven't got to the implementation stage due to the bitching from the remoaners, and the EU stalling us at every turn.

Sure there can be other votes to reverse a decision or modify it but it would be undemocratic to not carry out the will of the people in the first place.

No, there should not be any vote on reversing the democratic will of the people before their mandate has been actioned.  As for the "lies peddled by leavers" aspect that is a bullshit excuse - when has a politician ever told the truth to get elected or a vote through?

9 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

And if we voted next month the result could well be to leave again, so what do you do have a vote every month, democracy doesn't work that way.

And if the remain campaign had spent more time telling the truth instead of peddling their 'project fear' lies then remain might just have won.

Both sides lied, but then again it's politicians we're talking about here, so I rest my case.

30 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

People are far too partisan about this saying U.K. or Eu fault. It’s a negotiation and responsibilities sit with all parties to reach a deal which makes the best of a far from ideal situation. 

No no one will come out happy.

Far too many say Eu fault or U.K. govt based on little more they were a remainer or leaver to suit their narrative imo.

Exactly, the remainers blame the UK and the leavers blame the EU.

The truth is they are both to blame and both are playing games to one degree or another, granted a high stakes game, but a political game nonetheless.

The Mighty Thor
15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

When a democratic decision is made is is implemented and time given to see the impact.  We haven't got to the implementation stage due to the bitching from the remoaners, and the EU stalling us at every turn.

Sure there can be other votes to reverse a decision or modify it but it would be undemocratic to not carry out the will of the people in the first place.

No, there should not be any vote on reversing the democratic will of the people before their mandate has been actioned.  As for the "lies peddled by leavers" aspect that is a bullshit excuse - when has a politician ever told the truth to get elected or a vote through?

When is the mandate going to be actioned?

As my post above,  what form will this action take? Surely they must know this after 28 months?

maroonlegions
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The truth is they are both to blame and both are playing games to one degree or another, granted a high stakes game, but a political game nonetheless.

Forgetting  the glaring fact that it was Tory Cameron and his lying side kick Boris who instigated BRETEX .

No one to blame but the liars , the Tory liars.

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

When is the mandate going to be actioned?

As my post above,  what form will this action take? Surely they must know this after 28 months?

Try reading my previous answers to you.  Repeating the same questions because you don't like the answers makes you look like an idiot.

Space Mackerel
2 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

The technology is there. Here’s an example or two. Order an item on line and it can be tracked all the way from the depot to your door. 

I recently had to get my MacBook repaired. I made an appointment on line to visit the store on Princes Street and as I made my way on that day  to the store I got a message on my phone saying welcome to the Apple Store as I approached the store. Cars are another example of technology. The Merc I had would communicate with Daimler Headquarters and update my location, service needs etc. in real time. I was phoned by them to make an appointment for a service that was due.

So for any of the doubters who dismiss the Technology as none existent trust me it’s there. 

We could stick an iPhone 8 in everything and switch on location settings? :lol:

The Mighty Thor
31 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Did that come from the SNP referendum white paper? 

I've no idea. 

Consider it a reasonable analysis of where the UK is 28 months after we voted to leave the EU. 

shocking isn't it?

maroonlegions
14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Tories blaming anyone but themselves and their lack of vision but themselves, just like its the poor"s fault that they are poor, bad life choices but never the fault of the this Governments polices.

Edited by maroonlegions

The Mighty Thor

Try reading my previous answers to you.  Repeating the same questions because you don't like the answers makes you look like an idiot.

I'll try again as you're in dodge and deflect mode.

Two years. No plans.

EU problem or UK government problem.

Not answering the questions because you don't like them make you look like an idiot.

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'll try again as you're in dodge and deflect mode.

Two years. No plans.

EU problem or UK government problem.

Not answering the questions because you don't like them make you look like an idiot.

:cornette_dog:

There are not enough cornettes and facepalms to describe your post, and you are acting like a child.  I think my previous point about you has just been proven by the fact you have repeated my last post back at me.

How do you know there are no plans?  I am curious how you have access to confidential government information and can prove it.

17 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Forgetting  the glaring fact that it was Tory Cameron and his lying side kick Boris who instigated BRETEX .

No one to blame but the liars , the Tory liars.

Not forgetting the glaring fact that Cameron & Boris were on opposite sides, so the lying Boris can hardly be discribed as Camoron's side kick, can he.

So it was only the Tories who took part in the EU referendum campaign, was it, sure I seen plenty of Labour MP's take part on both sides, including comrade Corbyn, but I'm sure none of them lied though.

Space Mackerel

How do you know there are no plans? 

Because the EU leaders have all said the UK doesn't even know what it wants yet.

It was on the news last night after the summit.

10 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Because the EU leaders have all said the UK doesn't even know what it wants yet.

It was on the news last night after the summit.

There are highly qualified civil servant experts behind the negotiations doing all the technical work. Michel Barnier pops up now and again yo remind us of all his red lines.....That's not negotiating. The UK has clearly set out what it wants in the technical discussions yet to be made public.

Space Mackerel
5 minutes ago, jambo lodge said:

There are highly qualified civil servant experts behind the negotiations doing all the technical work. Michel Barnier pops up now and again yo remind us of all his red lines.....That's not negotiating. The UK has clearly set out what it wants in the technical discussions yet to be made public.

You should get yourself along Lodgey to the talks, May and her "highly qualified" team might need some assistance bearing in mind the EU has said this is the last summit till probably after Xmas.

The Mighty Thor
24 minutes ago, frankblack said:

:cornette_dog:

There are not enough cornettes and facepalms to describe your post, and you are acting like a child.  I think my previous point about you has just been proven by the fact you have repeated my last post back at me.

How do you know there are no plans?  I am curious how you have access to confidential government information and can prove it.

I'll help you out as you're clearly struggling.

There's no credible or workable plan. 

The Tories know it, the EU know it.

That worries me greatly as it will it will impact all of us. Two years to get here should concern even the most ardent of brexiteers as there's no way this government can deliver anything. 

41 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'll help you out as you're clearly struggling.

There's no credible or workable plan. 

The Tories know it, the EU know it.

That worries me greatly as it will it will impact all of us. Two years to get here should concern even the most ardent of brexiteers as there's no way this government can deliver anything. 

I'll take your deflection as confirmation you made it up and have no proof. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Space Mackerel said:

We could stick an iPhone 8 in everything and switch on location settings? :lol:

You may laugh but it’s not that far away. 

Doesn’t suit your narrative though. 

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

If leavers have nothing to fear from a second vote what's the problem...……...unless they are scared of what will happen in vote 2

If you want to be led by Boris the liar and his cronies then I guess you will be happy but the reality is the elderly have voted to leave thinking nothing of what they will leave behind with fantasies of some old world order where Britain ruled the roost. They have been badly misled and their fears prayed upon by Tory billionaires and their media backers.

Oh and many of them have already passed on  so why should we be forced to follow  their wishes

Francis Albert
20 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

If leavers have nothing to fear from a second vote what's the problem...……...unless they are scared of what will happen in vote 2

If you want to be led by Boris the liar and his cronies then I guess you will be happy but the reality is the elderly have voted to leave thinking nothing of what they will leave behind with fantasies of some old world order where Britain ruled the roost. They have been badly misled and their fears prayed upon by Tory billionaires and their media backers.

Oh and many of them have already passed on  so why should we be forced to follow  their wishes

If we have a second vote presumably remainers will be happy to have  a third or fourth and so on and on. As for fears being prayed upon the remain campaign did as much if not more and continues daily to do so. 

As for the contempt for the elderly and just possibly wiser ... if expressed towards women or people of colour the whole internet would be all over you. Agism - the last acceptable prejudice.

29 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I voted Leave last time and everything the EU has done since has confirmed my view. I have nothing to fear from a second vote but I do have a problem with it - it will only delay the date we leave and we will thereby incur more financial obligations.

I'm sure many Leavers have passed on but I'm also sure that they will be replaced by others who attain wisdom in their old age. 

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

If we have a second vote presumably remainers will be happy to have  a third or fourth and so on and on. As for fears being prayed upon the remain campaign did as much if not more and continues daily to do so. 

As for the contempt for the elderly and just possibly wiser ... if expressed towards women or people of colour the whole internet would be all over you. Agism - the last acceptable prejudice.

Dear Boris I am glad to see you picked up on that serious point made re Agism

I firmly believe and the votes proved it that the elderly were in favour of Brexit so no apology for my thoughts..they were a major cause of this terrible decision and like it or not the facts are a large number have passed on leaving the rest to deal with it for decades to come.

I would even question whether anyone over 75 should have been given the vote on this issue

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I'll take your deflection as confirmation you made it up and have no proof. :thumbsup:

It's all a conspiracy. May and Davis before her keep going to Brussels with the master plan and those nasty Europeans just keep saying non/nein.

It'll be why they've just told her not to bother going in November to regurgitate the same nonsense. 

Hands up. I've made it all up.

46 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Oh I've no problem with a vote on the brexit deal or no deal per se, and that's all any vote should be based on and nothing more, but the remainers also want to add a third option to the ballot paper and that's to stay in the EU, so equally you'd have to accept the option to leave the EU on the same ballot paper as well, so effectively it's a second EU referendum vote and the can of worms that'll open.

Drop staying in the EU on any second ballot paper and you might just get another vote, but I'd guess it's not the second vote you'd really want.

Francis Albert
44 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Dear Boris I am glad to see you picked up on that serious point made re Agism

I firmly believe and the votes proved it that the elderly were in favour of Brexit so no apology for my thoughts..they were a major cause of this terrible decision and like it or not the facts are a large number have passed on leaving the rest to deal with it for decades to come.

I would even question whether anyone over 75 should have been given the vote on this issue

And I could argue noone under 30 or even 65 should have been given the vote. After all many of those younger seem to think that post-Brexit it will be significantly more difficult to travel within Europe or to work and live in Europe but those of us of a certain age remember that it was perfectly possible before 1974.

Edited by Francis Albert

5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

And I could argue noone under 30 or even 65 should have been given the vote. After all many of those younger seem to think that post-Brexit it will be significantly more difficult to travel within Europe or to work and live in Europe but those of us of a certain age remember that it was perfectly possible before 1974.

Exactly, project fear is aimed at those who have never known anything but the EU, and therefore have no idea that life does exist outside of the EU.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

Peston is a lefty Labour supporter, and doesn’t hide it.

At least reading his twitter account or rather surely his facebook account you don't have to suffer his ridiculous pretentious affected speaking style and absurd haircut.

Just now, Francis Albert said:

At least reading his twitter account or rather surely his facebook account you don't have to suffer his ridiculous pretentious affected speaking style and absurd haircut.

Very true FA