Hearts Loanee Summary

Mikey1874

Liam Smith - St Mirren top of Championship. 1-1 draw v Morton played 90 minutes 

Nikolay Todorov - Livingston 3rd in Championship. On as sub 66 minutes in 1-1 draw at Inverness.

Ally Roy - Dumbarton 8th Championship. Subbed 65 minutes in 0-0 draw at Queen of the South 

Dario Zanatta - Raith Rovers second League One. Scored winner in 3-2 at East Fife. 90 minutes.

Angus Beith - Stranraer 5th League One. 90 minutes in 5-1 defeat at home to in form Ayr. 

Harry Paton - Stenhousemuir  3rd League Two. Subbed 87 minutes in 2-1 win over Stirling.

Calumn Morrison - Stirling Albion 5th League One. Subbed 66 minutes in 2-1 defeat at  Stenhousemuir. 

Andrew Irving and Marcus Godinho -  Berwick Rangers 7th League One. Both 90 minutes in 3-0 defeat at Edinburgh City.  

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• davie1980

• letsalldothebeattie

loveofthegame
8 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Seriously doubt any of them be at Hearts next season 

Pretty much agree. Younger lads have jumped ahead of them in the queue which means its likely curtains for most if not all of them.

Morrison and Smith still have a chance.

23 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Yeah

Andrew Irving is rated. Just him really. 

But good these guys are getting a chance to play. 

13 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Pretty much agree. Younger lads have jumped ahead of them in the queue which means its likely curtains for most if not all of them.

Would like to see Zanatta back as a squad player. He’s clearly worked his arse off and has been doing well and scoring some brilliant goals. Smith would get game time for us right now also. 

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Paton getting great reviews at Stenhousemuir. I would not look too much into who is playing ahead of who. Andrew Irving is still only 17 and doing well for example.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Good summary. Irving Morrison Roy and Paton. Those are the ones I think on my limited knowledge 

1 minute ago, JamboFulton said:

Nice update :thumbsup:

Hopefully they all come back and impress and if not then move onto wherever they’re next meant to go.

Tongue in cheek here as well but that league one... always trying to fit 2 teams into 5th place :ninja:

Wouldn't be the same without an error or two. 

LarrysRightFoot

Got a mate at work who is a Stenny fan - he raves about Paton. I think is surprised he hasnt been recalled.

It may be League 2 but he has said to me each time we have loaned them a player in the past such as Henderson, Roy etc that they weren’t good enough.

Anyone who thinks league 2 is an easy gig is deluded. Playing in a league where the endeavour / fitness levels are good, but the footballing ability is less. Not many spl players would enjoy it without premiership team mates and it is a very hard environment for young players and there are far more loaners who don’t get a game than get one. Anyone young guy playing at that level and coping or flourishing is doing pretty well. Doesn’t mean they’ll make it, but good on them. Night and day compared to the relatively ‘safe’ U20 level. 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

You are wrong mate. 

Others havent jumped ahead of them, they've simply been the best of what was left at the club. Paton and zanatta and morrison highly thought of.

RenfrewHearts

Guy on twitter talking about Paton. Seems to have been Motm every game for Stenny. Interesting to see if he stays there, comes back or goes to a higher level for the remainder of the season.

00BC0BF2-D8AA-4468-9877-2A5B4F0D3BD1.png

Dr Ian Malcolm

Irving was arguably the best player on the pitch despite Berwick losing 3-0 - was a flattering score line for City. Only 17 and due to sign a new deal soon before likely having his loan extended.

Paton has indeed been doing very well for Stenny, whether he's good enough for Hearts' first team just now is pretty questionable, but that's not to say he won't have a career.

Morrison has arguably been Stirling's POTY so far this season and if he isn't recalled  when his loan is up, likely to go out again but at a higher level to see how he does.

Recalling Zanatta would make sense given our lack of options out wide and up front. He's probably earned the chance. Smith too, although we're pretty well set at right back just now.

The three that probably won't be here next season are Beith, Roy and Godinho. That we allowed Beith to go on loan despite the current lack of fit central midfielders probably tells a story.

loveofthegame
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Paton getting great reviews at Stenhousemuir. I would not look too much into who is playing ahead of who. Andrew Irving is still only 17 and doing well for example.

Fair enough, not two youngsters I know much about so my post was probably ill-informed at best. I guess the old “players develop at different stages” is quite apt- not every 16 y/o in first team will become a star and not every 20 y/o yet to break into the first team is doomed to fail.

ill get back in my box.

BRING_BACK_MO_BERTHA

Was at the Stenny v Stirling game today. Harry was indeed particularly impressive, very quick, great passing...his strength and decision making not quite there yet so probably why Cochrane is ahead of him. Callum did ok but took a bad knock 2nd half and sounds like he had to get one of those protective boots for his ankle. Overall though, promising.

seen roy at palmerston today.played out on the right and never really got into the game.fairly ineffective.nade on the other hand game on for the last 10minute and nearly won it for the sons!

letsalldothebeattie

Morrison’s been excellent for Stirling this season into double figures for the season not bad for a winger. Been raved about by everyone at Stirling and even heard Allan Preston speak very highly of him on radio Scotland when he’s mentioned reckons he can come back and be the next breakthrough star. 

Would like to see us bring back Paton & Irving as well both been sensational for respective clubs. Whenever I’ve looked at games they’ve been Man of the Match. Irving seems to share the award with Godinho down at Shielfield. 

Compliments to the OP, really good thread. With the pressure slightly easing I would be surprised if a couple of them are not in the first team squad next season. Decision to send some of them out on loan would no doubt have had input from Cathro at the beginning of the season.

40 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

anytime ive seen st mirren highlights smith has looked really good. i dont think his time is up yet.

I like Smith.  He's diligent in defence and puts a good ball in the box.  Nothing spectacular, but a 7/10 every week type player which is fine for a right back.  Robbie Neilson was part of a very good team, and was he any better than Smith?  Not sure tbh.

Made a couple of errors last season, but, like many, was negatively effected by the huge turnover in squad and playing beside total diddies with no direction or commitment.  Part of a back 4 with any of Avlonitis, Sowah, Buaben, Tzolis, Struna or Nowak!  Then a totally confidence-shot Jack or a frankly quite rubbish Noring behind them.  I forgive Liam a few slips in that team!!

Not sure if he'll make it at Hearts, especially if Brandon meets his potential, but I wouldn't write him off at all.

Zanatta has never quite made the impact we'd like him to, but I still like him, his attitude seems spot on and his time in lower leagues may well have done him well.  Morrison is exciting I reckon, as is Paton.  I've never seen any of these kids, so it's all just what I've heard and read, but the future certainly seems bright.  Need to get the right older heads around them, but we're now well on the way to that too imo.

We all know only a percentage of even very promising youths make it, but we seem to have such a high quota of talent aged 15-19 atm, that even if the usual percentage makes it, it'll be quite a few.  And I guess the challenge at the club is to try to achieve a higher than average number to make it.  Hopefully we get to the stage when we almost have too many and have tough decisions to make.  Be great if we filled the first team with the very cream of the crop, but the majority of the academy go on to have pro careers elsewhere - great selling point if we can achieve that.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
25 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I like Smith.  He's diligent in defence and puts a good ball in the box.  Nothing spectacular, but a 7/10 every week type player which is fine for a right back.  Robbie Neilson was part of a very good team, and was he any better than Smith?  Not sure tbh.

Made a couple of errors last season, but, like many, was negatively effected by the huge turnover in squad and playing beside total diddies with no direction or commitment.  Part of a back 4 with any of Avlonitis, Sowah, Buaben, Tzolis, Struna or Nowak!  Then a totally confidence-shot Jack or a frankly quite rubbish Noring behind them.  I forgive Liam a few slips in that team!!

Not sure if he'll make it at Hearts, especially if Brandon meets his potential, but I wouldn't write him off at all.

Zanatta has never quite made the impact we'd like him to, but I still like him, his attitude seems spot on and his time in lower leagues may well have done him well.  Morrison is exciting I reckon, as is Paton.  I've never seen any of these kids, so it's all just what I've heard and read, but the future certainly seems bright.  Need to get the right older heads around them, but we're now well on the way to that too imo.

We all know only a percentage of even very promising youths make it, but we seem to have such a high quota of talent aged 15-19 atm, that even if the usual percentage makes it, it'll be quite a few.  And I guess the challenge at the club is to try to achieve a higher than average number to make it.  Hopefully we get to the stage when we almost have too many and have tough decisions to make.  Be great if we filled the first team with the very cream of the crop, but the majority of the academy go on to have pro careers elsewhere - great selling point if we can achieve that.

With Brandons emergence plus Michael Smith before thinking about Randall someone is going to get a decent player in Liam Smith. 

His disasters were at left back and more experienced players suffered under Cathro 

17 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

With Brandons emergence plus Michael Smith before thinking about Randall someone is going to get a decent player in Liam Smith. 

His disasters were at left back and more experienced players suffered under Cathro 

Oh dear.  Everything seems to be Cathro's fault - and he was culpable in many respects.

Irrespective of who has been Manager or Head Coach, Smith has never been able to hold down the RB position and was given a chance at LB .  He failed.  If this was because he was playing on the "wrong" foot surely as a professional player he could set aside half an hour a day for "wrong foot" practice.  That position was up for grabs and still is.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
22 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Oh dear.  Everything seems to be Cathro's fault - and he was culpable in many respects.

Irrespective of who has been Manager or Head Coach, Smith has never been able to hold down the RB position and was given a chance at LB .  He failed.  If this was because he was playing on the "wrong" foot surely as a professional player he could set aside half an hour a day for "wrong foot" practice.  That position was up for grabs and still is.

He is a right back not a left back, a chance, nah, a stop gap. Brandon has proved more able when stop gap left back. Right back may be up for grabs, but right now, with 3 decent options in front of Smith.

He didn't do very much wrong at right back to be honest, if there are instances where he was out of his depth, I don't know many. Perhaps against Aberdeen last season he toiled but then that was coming in for Paterson against the top wingers in the league. He would not be alone. He certainly hasn't had a chance to nail it down, Cathro immediately hired 2 full backs, probably on the basis of a tough time in that game at home to Aberdeen and a poor effort at Dundee as left back. But Cathro had already ditched the first choice left back by that point, a chain of knee jerk unplanned decisions that led to the cluster**** that was last Januarys window.

I wont happen this January, youngsters are being looked after a lot more carefully.

Edited by Sir Gio

19 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Not blaming Cathro here, but you do realise that you can do all the "left foot training" you want, but if you're the youngest part of a defence which is totally devoid of leadership, communication, commitment or protection, you may struggle a bit.  Failed though.  Failed.

Dear me.

Had done well any time he'd been involved up until January last year.

16 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Liam Smith - St Mirren top of Championship. 1-1 draw v Morton played 90 minutes 

Nikolay Todorov - Livingston 3rd in Championship. On as sub 66 minutes in 1-1 draw at Inverness.

Ally Roy - Dumbarton 8th Championship. Subbed 65 minutes in 0-0 draw at Queen of the South 

Dario Zanatta - Raith Rovers second League One. Scored winner in 3-2 at East Fife. 90 minutes.

Angus Beith - Stranraer 5th League One. 90 minutes in 5-1 defeat at home to in form Ayr. 

Harry Paton - Stenhousemuir  3rd League Two. Subbed 87 minutes in 2-1 win over Stirling.

Calumn Morrison - Stirling Albion 5th League One. Subbed 66 minutes in 2-1 defeat at  Stenhousemuir. 

Andrew Irving and Marcus Godinho -  Berwick Rangers 7th League One. Both 90 minutes in 3-0 defeat at Edinburgh City.  

Thanks for this. very useful.

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

He is a right back not a left back, a chance, nah, a stop gap. Brandon has proved more able when stop gap left back. Right back may be up for grabs, but right now, with 3 decent options in front of Smith.

He didn't do very much wrong at right back to be honest, if there are instances where he was out of his depth, I don't know many. Perhaps against Aberdeen last season he toiled but then that was coming in for Paterson against the top wingers in the league. He would not be alone. He certainly hasn't had a chance to nail it down, Cathro immediately hired 2 full backs, probably on the basis of a tough time in that game at Aberdeen and a poor effort at Dundee. But Cathro had already ditched the first choice left back by that point, a chain of knee jerk unplanned decisions that led to the cluster**** that was last Januarys window.

I wont happen this January, youngsters are being looked after a lot more carefully.

I remember him getting caught under the ball a couple of times and a couple of poor defensive headers - literally a couple.  BUt I also remember some particularly impressive covering goal saving tackles and headers, so just what you'd expect, or maybe slightly higher than that, from a young fullback.  I also remember him setting up a good couple of goals with very accurate crosses.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Thanks for this. very useful.

Who you writing off mate?  (sorry but you're not getting away with your Souttar bashing!!!!!!)

letsalldothebeattie
49 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Can’t blame Cathro for Smith failing at left back. The laddie is more than capable of playing in that position as anytime I saw him play 20s football he was playing left back for the team. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Can’t blame Cathro for Smith failing at left back. The laddie is more than capable of playing in that position as anytime I saw him play 20s football he was playing left back for the team. 

He didn't play there often is probably my point. He is a right back by definition. Players are not plug and play, they need time to adjust. Connor Randall is a fantastic example of how someone can come on to a game given time to have a run of games. I could be wrong and happy to be corrected if so, but Liam Smith did not have a run of top team games at left back. And Under 20s is a very different world.

9 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Who you writing off mate?  (sorry but you're not getting away with your Souttar bashing!!!!!!)

Hahaha my reputation must precede me.

Zanatta for sure. To me he just isn't built to be a top flight player.  He has also had his chance to shine and never took it.  I want them all to be the greatest players ever to grace the game but the harsh likelihood is that sadly none of them will.  Zanatta and Smith are the only 2 I have seen a lot of however.

Those having a go at Smith because he cost us a couple of times.

Ever watch the EPL?

Guys who have "made it" making mistakes.

What does that tell you?

According to some, if you're a Hearts player, you're not allowed to make mistakes.

Remember our keeper v Partick?  Wonder what would have happened if he'd been dropped for that mistake.

13 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Those having a go at Smith because he cost us a couple of times.

Ever watch the EPL?

Guys who have "made it" making mistakes.

What does that tell you?

According to some, if you're a Hearts player, you're not allowed to make mistakes.

Remember our keeper v Partick?  Wonder what would have happened if he'd been dropped for that mistake.

I wasn't particularly having a go at Smith.  I was trying to highlight that, whatever Cathro's shortcomings, Smith had never tied down a FB position and a player can take steps to aid his own development.

tolcross lad
15 hours ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

Irving was arguably the best player on the pitch despite Berwick losing 3-0 - was a flattering score line for City. Only 17 and due to sign a new deal soon before likely having his loan extended.

I took in the City v Berwick game  yesterday.Berwick dominated but could not finish.The 17 year old Irving was excellent .Quick feet,great control and a super range of passing.As someone said its a tough league and not easy for a young lad to stand out.Irvings game is progressing well.

37 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Smith was hung out to dry by Cathro, the supposed 'great coach'. I always laugh when folk go on about Cathro making it in the future as a top coach - he did not improve a single one of our players last season, and indeed, many looked worse under him. 

hope Liam gets another chance.

Cathro substituting Smith at Dundee this time last year has to be in the top 3 worst managerial decisions I’ve seen a football manager make. Last minute winner conceded - pretty much last kick of the game. Cathro substitutes Smith, who’d had a shocker by all accounts. Almost seemed like he was creating a scapegoat. Some of the messages Liam received on social media following that game were sickening.

letsalldothebeattie
8 minutes ago, RDSK said:

Cathro substituting Smith at Dundee this time last year has to be in the top 3 worst managerial decisions I’ve seen a football manager make. Last minute winner conceded - pretty much last kick of the game. Cathro substitutes Smith, who’d had a shocker by all accounts. Almost seemed like he was creating a scapegoat. Some of the messages Liam received on social media following that game were sickening.

Agree 100% with this. I wasn’t at the game but was listening to it and it did sound like Smith was having a shocker and didn’t seem to be helped by Cathro. And I saw some of the comments on twitter directed straight to Liam himself including some from mates of mine which were an absolute disgrace to see. The lads young and learning he will no he had a bad game he didn’t need fans tweeting him directly to ram it home

I’d like to see Liam Smith get a chance to fight for a place at Hearts. Shame he isn’t a left back! 

A_A wehatethehibs

Sounds like some of them are doing well. Hope to see one or two of them earn a Hearts jersey - Paton and Morrison seem to be the best of them.

Not on board with the “bring back smith” brigade though - Jamie Brandon is better than him and he is the man for the RB slot if we ever get a left back sorted. 

letsalldothebeattie
16 minutes ago, Ryder said:

I’d like to see Liam Smith get a chance to fight for a place at Hearts. Shame he isn’t a left back! 

Be interesting to see if he does get the chance. Smith & Brandon both good options and wonder if Levein will try to sign Randall as well who’s a great option to have at RB. I like Smith and think he can be a good option for us. 

4 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Be interesting to see if he does get the chance. Smith & Brandon both good options and wonder if Levein will try to sign Randall as well who’s a great option to have at RB. I like Smith and think he can be a good option for us. 

Its a wee bit unlucky for him being a rightback at this point in time at Hearts. Out of all of the guys you mentioned, I’d like to see Randall kept on. Michael Smith too but as a player who can fill in at CB, RB and LB. Liam Smith would be the next obvious choice for a place but Brandon might be changing opinions on that one. Maybe Brandon to go on a loan move and Liam Smith to get his chance as back up? Hard to tell what we are going to do nowadays... maybe Liam Smith has been deemed surplace?

Edited by Ryder

LarrysRightFoot

Was speaking to the Stenny fan at my work today who said Paton has been motm the last 2 games.

He would be surprised if he was there much longer.

fabienleclerq

I like smith, good crosser of the ball from what I seen. Putting him in this defence rather than the previous shambles and I reckon he'd shine. 

Finlay James

I love hearing about the progress of our young lads out on loan.

Paton, Morrison and Irving seem likely to come back as part of the 1st team squad and this will be like 3 new signings.  Let's face it, if we were aware of 3 young lads doing well in the lower leagues who were not ours, we would all be saying that this is exactly the market we should be looking at so I'm excited by the progress being made.

On 03/01/2018 at 19:26, Finlay James said:

I love hearing about the progress of our young lads out on loan.

Paton, Morrison and Irving seem likely to come back as part of the 1st team squad and this will be like 3 new signings.  Let's face it, if we were aware of 3 young lads doing well in the lower leagues who were not ours, we would all be saying that this is exactly the market we should be looking at so I'm excited by the progress being made.

Calumn Morrison  not playing for Stirling today.

Paton and Irving are playing for Stenhousemuir and Berwick. 

Liam Smith - 90 minutes in 1-0 win for St Mirren v Inverness

Nikoly Todorov - 90 minutes as forward in 1-0 defeat at home to Queen of the South 

Ally Roy - unused sub for Dumbarton 1-0 defeat at home to Dunfermline 

Dario Zanatta - 90 minutes for Raith in 2-1 win at home to Forfar

Angus Beith - 90 minutes and scored for Stranraer in 2-2 draw at Hampden Park v Queens Park 

Harry Paton - 90 minutes for Stenhousemuir in 4-1 defeat at home to Peterhead

Marcus Godinho and Andrew Irving - 90 minutes for Berwick Rangers in 2-0 defeat at Stirling 

Calumn Morrison not in squad today for Stirling

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Liam Smith - 90 minutes in 1-0 win for St Mirren v Inverness

Nikoly Todorov - 90 minutes as forward in 1-0 defeat at home to Queen of the South 

Ally Roy - unused sub for Dumbarton 1-0 defeat at home to Dunfermline 

Dario Zanatta - 90 minutes for Raith in 2-1 win at home to Forfar

Angus Beith - 90 minutes and scored for Stranraer in 2-2 draw at Hampden Park v Queens Park 

Harry Paton - 90 minutes for Stenhousemuir in 4-1 defeat at home to Peterhead

Marcus Godinho and Andrew Irving - 90 minutes for Berwick Rangers in 2-0 defeat at Stirling 

Calumn Morrison not in squad today for Stirling

Morrison maybe got another loan lined up? He has been their best player hasn’t he? 

On 1/3/2018 at 06:38, i8hibsh said:

Hahaha my reputation must precede me.

Zanatta for sure. To me he just isn't built to be a top flight player.  He has also had his chance to shine and never took it.  I want them all to be the greatest players ever to grace the game but the harsh likelihood is that sadly none of them will.  Zanatta and Smith are the only 2 I have seen a lot of however.

Zanattas doubled in size since he joined us?! If he continues like this he’ll be Paterson size in the next year. 

10 minutes ago, zico10 said:

Zanatta  was MoM in their game

He was but thats not saying much. Was at game (son a ball boy) some very poor touches and whilst attacking when he got the ball,  he often played the wrong ball when he got though or ran into the defender.  Although in fairness his cross in the first half caused the own goal. Also had a half decent chance and totally scaffed it...

Really like him and has a lot of time to develop but was not a stand out in this game, no one was. 

Friend a season ticket holder at Raith and told me hes very hot and cold. 

Fingers crossed.  

No reason why Morrison couldn't come back to us for the second part of the season. Another young gun who cares about the club. 

Would rather get him back into the fold than develop somebody else's loan player.