Gabriel Somi

Nightwing

10 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

You can't just change the terms of your question when you're proved wrong. You wrote: "Are we now ignoring the Scottish market completely now?" and the answer is "No".

OK it's a "No" - the debate has moved on now - that's what a fans forum does.  :thumb:

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, the truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter what their nationalities are, rather it only matters how good they are. The point of buying proven Scotland-based players is we know, and the player himself knows, that he likes Scottish football and can play here. Such players are relatively expensive for that reason.

It's clear Hearts believe in their ability to uncover good-value talent from other markets, and that optimism is to be admired. However, the other side of the coin is the increased risk of being lumbered with too many inadequate players, and not enough good ones, while still paying lots of wages.

I'd rather have one Niall McGinn than two randoms who've never set foot in Scottish football before.

1 minute ago, Hearts_fan said:

Yep, the truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter what their nationalities are, rather it only matters how good they are. The point of buying proven Scotland-based players is we know, and the player himself knows, that he likes Scottish football and can play here. Such players are relatively expensive for that reason.

It's clear Hearts believe in their ability to uncover good-value talent from other markets, and that optimism is to be admired. However, the other side of the coin is the increased risk of being lumbered with too many inadequate players, and not enough good ones, while still paying lots of wages.

I'd rather have one Niall McGinn than two randoms who've never set foot in Scottish football before.

Exactly.  This belief that we have the ability to sign good value, under the radar, foreign gems all sounds good - but sadly it has been a bit of a disaster.  We have signed 49 players I believe in the last few seasons - the vast majority have been duds and a total waste of money.  Some shrewd signings of less players who have proven themselves in the Scottish game would have been a better way forward.  Aberdeen have built teams with good signings from the likes of ICT and St Mirren, and Hibs star man also came from St Mirren.

He Who Cannot Be Named
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

I could make a You Tube video of Jamie Mole  and it would make him look impressive.  All I want is someone to come in and bust his bollocks week in week out and have a little bit of quality in an area we lack it.  If this boy is up to it then i'll pick him up at Edinburgh airport, I will not accept another dud with a big contract.

No you couldn't. Simple as that.

We are not learning from previous mistakes it seems.  Oshaniwa Rherras Martin Sowah Grzelak Smith Brown Kevin Anderson Sammon Struna Avlonitis etc etc the list goes on. All these under Levein's tenure and he continues to get these deals signed off time and time again. Mod Edit.   Also why is Budge allowing this to happen continually and why is John Murray still at the club. Answers on a post card before I'm banned for no reason other than pointing out the obvious

3 hours ago, MoBerthe said:

We are not learning from previous mistakes it seems.  Oshaniwa Rherras Martin Sowah Grzelak Smith Brown Kevin Anderson Sammon Struna Avlonitis etc etc the list goes on. All these under Levein's tenure and he continues to get these deals signed off time and time again.   Also why is Budge allowing this to happen continually and why is John Murray still at the club. Answers on a post card before I'm banned for no reason other than pointing out the obvious

Wow, just wow.

So we shouldn't buy any foreigners cos some have been pish? All British based players have been a success? 

Banned for pointing out the obvious or talking absolute shite? I know what my money would be on.

We are not learning from previous mistakes it seems.  Oshaniwa Rherras Martin Sowah Grzelak Smith Brown Kevin Anderson Sammon Struna Avlonitis etc etc the list goes on. All these under Levein's tenure and he continues to get these deals signed off time and time again. Also why is Budge allowing this to happen continually and why is John Murray still at the club. Answers on a post card before I'm banned for no reason other than pointing out the obvious

You do know Mrs B has had the recruitment system overhauled and our last few signings included Berra, Smith, McLaughlin, Lafferty, Smith-Brown (who could have foreseen his injury problems?), Milinkovic?

In SPL terms these are pretty good signings.

14 minutes ago, He Who Cannot Be Named said:

No you couldn't. Simple as that.

Yes you could.  His screamer in the cup v Livingston or Dunfermline would grace the world strage alone.

Did I mention berra Smith lafferty or mcglaughlin. ?  These are obviously decent but why was grzelak signed ? 

Any proof for these accusations or just your vindictive mind working over time?

I'd hope the club would find this out and sort themselves rather than getting them in shit with the spl. I'd rather Levein was just emptied as we will go nowhere under him 

Just now, Barack said:

You’ve been rather quiet these last few weeks. Some “scoop” you’ve returned with. 

Been away anywhere nice?  

Same scoop as I've always said just been watching developments. Nothing else to say on the matter really just interesting again watching Levein and what he does as we approach another one of his favourite times of the year.. transfer window time

2 minutes ago, Homme said:

Why all the hate for oversees players? It’s not like we’ve scouted the Uk market successfully either.

People seem to have forgotten about the duds we have brought in from the UK leagues. 

2 minutes ago, Homme said:

Why all the hate for oversees players? It’s not like we’ve scouted the Uk market successfully either.

Berra, Lafferty, McLaughlan have been good signings TBH.

Just now, fast_blood said:

People seem to have forgotten about the duds we have brought in from the UK leagues. 

So going by that our recruitment in the UK and abroad has been shite?

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

The European market is definitely the way to go. It's the people identifying the players that's the problem.

It's time for John Murray to leave.

23 minutes ago, MoBerthe said:

Only thing doing overtime is Levein's brown envelope 

Everybody knows I am not a fan of Levein, but I do not believe for one minute that he is up to any brown envelope nonsense!!

54 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

It highlights our scouting and signing policy whether at home or abroad has been sadly lacking!

There is Scottish talent out there - Hibs and Aberdeen for instance have signed some good quality players in recent seasons - we just need to be smart enough to find them!

Out of interest, how much have Aberdeen and Hibs spent on these signings?

I'm not sure how well placed we have been over the last few years to spend on transfer fees.  May have something to do with the free transfers?

21 minutes ago, MoBerthe said:

Possibly same one that was taken to the bookies to place a fairly large wager in himself at 25 to 1 to get the Hearts job I'd say

I thought you could only get about a fiver on such markets 

Anyone want to point out a left back who is available to sign and play in January for free with a proven record at the top level of Scottish football?

1 minute ago, ISMAparty said:

The European market is definitely the way to go. It's the people identifying the players that's the problem.

It's time for John Murray to leave.

And John Park if available and interested should replace him 

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Anyone want to point out a left back who is available to sign and play in January for free with a proven record at the top level of Scottish football?

Brian Easton could sign pre contract in January.  Small nominal fee similar to one we paid for callachan 

12 minutes ago, Boris said:

Out of interest, how much have Aberdeen and Hibs spent on these signings?

I'm not sure how well placed we have been over the last few years to spend on transfer fees.  May have something to do with the free transfers?

Surely we were just as well placed as Hibs when they were in the Championship to sign players and attract a experienced proven Manager??  Our ST sales and attendances have been way over anticipated!

I realise that our transfer funds will now be curtailed to some extent until the stand is paid for.

15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Not our job Ray - that's what we pay our football management big bucks for.

The difference with this guy to others in past is that he is in favour. He has been playing games regular and appears that his team wants to retain him, as well as other bigger clubs in his country showing an interest. When you are signing guys in January who have been bit part players since the summer or not featuring at all then you are taking a big punt.

Experienced enough at 26, left footed, appears to be attacking with a decent goal scoring record for a full back and being playing a decent standard. Ticks many of the boxes to be honest.

For those who are against 'the foreign route' , can I ask who exactly fits the bill for a January signing of being a Scottish/British left back, currently playing regularly, is experienced and won't cost us any money? 

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

You can't just change the terms of your question when you're proved wrong. You wrote: "Are we now ignoring the Scottish market completely now?" and the answer is "No".

He's best pitied really. A car crash poster.

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

Not our job Ray - that's what we pay our football management big bucks for.

well since we have had Gabriel Somi in for talks and shown him around then id say they're doing their job

2 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

The difference with this guy to others in past is that he is in favour. He has been playing games regular and appears that his team wants to retain him, as well as other bigger clubs in his country showing an interest. When you are signing guys in January who have been bit part players since the summer or not featuring at all then you are taking a big punt.

Experienced enough at 26, left footed, appears to be attacking with a decent goal scoring record for a full back and being playing a decent standard. Ticks many of the boxes to be honest.

For those who are against 'the foreign route' , can I ask who exactly fits the bill for a January signing of being a Scottish/British lefy back, currently playing regularly, is experienced and won't cost us any money?

I'm not against 'the foreign route' but we sure as hell are going to have to improve on our record of signing total numpties who are here today gone tomorrow.

If you read my posts I am suggesting we need a better balance to our signing policy of both home and foreign players.

As for scouting players - as I said that's what we pay our football management big bucks for.

Bridge of Djoum
31 minutes ago, Barack said:

You’ve been rather quiet these last few weeks. Some “scoop” you’ve returned with. 

Been away anywhere nice?  

Bar-L?

3 minutes ago, Dinger said:

well since we have had Gabriel Somi in for talks and shown him around then id say they're doing their job

Now time will prove that one.

18 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

So going by that our recruitment in the UK and abroad has been shite?

In recent years, yes! 

Without pointing fingers, some folk will automatically write off a player now because of their lack of UK football experience. Due to our recent failure in the transfer market, I'm not surprised by this kind of reaction. 

The problem is, unfortunately, double edged. No signing is guaranteed to be a success. We could stump up good money for a Scottish based player and it might not happen for him at Hearts. Could be injuries, could be poor form, or whatever. 

Not only this, like people have pointed out, in January you will have to spend unless free, like this lad. 

Summed up, all signings are gambles be it one who has been watched in person or been viewed on whyscout or YouTube. 

6 hours ago, sadj said:

Fifa has him at LM but pacey if that helps ???? 

This would appear to be more likely as he has not played many 90 min.

4 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

He's best pitied really. A car crash poster.

Is that the best you can do?  Really?????

:bravo:

6 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

In recent years, yes! 

Without pointing fingers, some folk will automatically write off a player now because of their lack of UK football experience. Due to our recent failure in the transfer market, I'm not surprised by this kind of reaction. 

The problem is, unfortunately, double edged. No signing is guaranteed to be a success. We could stump up good money for a Scottish based player and it might not happen for him at Hearts. Could be injuries, could be poor form, or whatever. 

Not only this, like people have pointed out, in January you will have to spend unless free, like this lad. 

Summed up, all signings are gambles be it one who has been watched in person or been viewed on whyscout or YouTube. 

You are of course correct, however the reality is that ultimately a Manager stands or falls on the players he signs.

Never heard of the lad tbh. Playing for a side who are on an exponential rise and had exposure against some very good sides in Europa League

Their manager will be on the radar of some bigger clubs throughout Europe. He has done a phenomenal job 

Could be a very interesting one 

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

You are of course correct, however the reality is that ultimately a Manager is a success or failure based on the players he signs.

No denying that. Let's see what Levein brings in. I personally don't completely blame him for the recent failures, although he clearly has had a hand in them.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Is that the best you can do?  Really?????

:bravo:

To  be fair reading back the last couple of hours. Not your best work :)

Just now, Sir Gio said:

To  be fair reading back the last couple of hours. Not your best work :)

Well you would say that now wouldn't you.......;)

Interesting, his club are certainly doing very well.

he could be another Oshinawa or then again a De Vries but very much worth a try.

Archived