Gabriel Somi

Nightwing

Saw this doing the rounds on Twitter & I can't see a thread on it already..

IMG-20171210-WA0010.thumb.jpg.34785621e71d6895e6d30e7e0f39a9a0.jpg

26 year old Syrian national left back currently playing for öfk östersund in sweden who qualified out of their EL group. 

Seems a half decent attacking full back & something we've been crying out for.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this article also:

http://www.sportbibeln.se/fotboll/fullbordade-bragden-med-ostersund-nu-kan-stjarnan-lamna/

Translated:

Gabriel Somi 's contract with Östersund's FK expires at the turn of the year, but club chairman Daniel Kindberg is sure that the 26-year-old will remain. 
"He is a name that will surely play many matches for us in the long run. Yes, we have developed a contract proposal that we are proud of, he told Football Directly yesterday.

The player himself, however, is not as sure. In an interview with Östersund-Posten , he confirms that he has received a contract proposal from the club, but that there is interest from several clubs. 
"I have received suggestions from ÖFK, there are other stakeholders too.

Can end up in Djurgården or IFK Göteborg

Two of the clubs to be interested are Djurgården and IFK Göteborg. In Djurgården he would be reunited with Özcan Melkemichel , who was coach of Syrianska while the left back played for the club.

What speaks for Somi remains is the increased playing time and advancement in the Europa League. 
"It's clear that it means incredibly much, this fall has been fantastic in every way. Now a sixteenth-finals in the Europa League are also waiting, it's weighing in, but as I say, we'll see, says Somi to Östersund Posten.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

That is interesting! Wonder what his work permit situation would be. He must have dual nationality to qualify surely as Syria aint exactly one of the major footballing nations.

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

That is interesting! Wonder what his work permit situation would be. He must have dual nationality to qualify surely as Syria aint exactly one of the major footballing nations.

Born in Sweden 

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Born in Sweden 

NIce one! kinda contradicts the OP though ;)

Looking forward to reading Barry Anderson's article tomorrow then.

fabienleclerq

Wary of the YouTube video by now, not many clips of him defending but looks decent going forward. Loves a give and go which we lack at times as our movement is poor.

20 minutes ago, Elias Henry Furst said:

Wyscout and John Murray written all over this one.

Have we learnt nothing?

Agree mate. Hopefully this one turns out to be a decent player tho 

Pretty certain Notts mentioned a left back plying his trade in Sweden. This confirms it. If you go on the lads Instagram, you can see the clip of the stand. 

Bazzas right boot

Adapting from Sweden should be easier than the likes  of  where Osh was playing.

We need this left back to work out

Add in two from Cadden, O'Halloran, McGinn and maybe another striker  I'll be happy.

lost in space
46 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Yes but is he left footed????????????

A left footed LB??????  - nah never catch on......

1 hour ago, Elias Henry Furst said:

Have we learnt nothing?

Who would you have us sign instead?

1 hour ago, Elias Henry Furst said:

Have we learnt nothing?

Playing regularly for a team that has progressed to knock out stages of Europa League from a group with Athletic Bilbao, Hertha Berlin & Zorya.  Given that doesn't automatically mean he will be a success but decent pedigree. 

He also appears to be attack minded full back, which is exactly what we need on the left. Our game plan is slow because we have right footed left back who is more defensive minded. I think he would be a good signing.

1 hour ago, the_jailer said:

Agree mate. Hopefully this one turns out to be a decent player tho 

Has it aye?!

Away and have a word with yourselves ffs.

26 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Adapting from Sweden should be easier than the likes  of  where Osh was playing.

We need this left back to work out

Add in two from Cadden, O'Halloran, McGinn and maybe another striker  I'll be happy.

Hmmmmm

Cadden I think we've missed the boat on unless we can stump up for him. He's had a decent season and he's probably increased in value since we last made a daft offer for him.

He's just done his hammy anyway so might be out for 6 weeks if that's a bad one.

O'Halloran is only at StJ because Pedro shipped him out there after a row. I imagine he'll be back at Ibrox trying to win his place now that Pedro has gone. He's a possibility though and I really like him as a player. I'd rather have him than McGinn if I'm honest.

McGinn has a choice between us and Hibs it would appear. I think he's far more likely to get a game for us so that'll be all about bettering their offer.

Left back is essential and there appears to be some thing happening there with the Syrian/Swedish felly. Central midfielder might have to wait til summer. Another striker would be nice but again, probably a summer project.

I'm no longer excited by signing previously-unknown players as I've learned this to be a complete waste of energy. Tziolis was probably the final straw. I reserve my excitement for when the player actually performs in maroon. 

16 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

Has it aye?!

Away and have a word with yourselves ffs.

So the recruitment of players has been excellent then. The mount of money we have wasted is scary. 

Think its you that needs to have a word with yourself  Petal 

27 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

I'm no longer excited by signing previously-unknown players as I've learned this to be a complete waste of energy. Tziolis was probably the final straw. I reserve my excitement for when the player actually performs in maroon. 

Tziolis was a great player playing with players a few Levels below him.

IMO of course.

letsalldothebeattie

let’s just wait and see considering what our left backs have been like recently. 

But does this mean if he signs Smith-Brown punted back to City it will we see our season with 2 left backs

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, graygo said:

Tziolis was a great player playing with players a few Levels below him.

IMO of course.

Your probably right with this comment. Would explain the drop in his performances every week

Good age, played at a good level and other teams in the Swedish league actually interested 

Add to that he's actually a left back with a left foot, no complaints from me but then I was happy with Struna and avlonitis based on pedigree, will reserve judgement but really willing the lad to be the answer for a position that we've fecked up consistently 

I don't do twitter or instagram but I take it you have to be logged in to see their latest posts because from what I can see (as a guest) there is nothing whatsoever on this guy's profiles about Hearts. Nor his Facebook one.

43 minutes ago, the_jailer said:

So the recruitment of players has been excellent then. The mount of money we have wasted is scary. 

Where did I say that? So that means THIS one will be a flop and done via wyscout and murray. 

Try engaging your brain first.

rudi must stay
16 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

I don't do twitter or instagram but I take it you have to be logged in to see their latest posts because from what I can see (as a guest) there is nothing whatsoever on this guy's profiles about Hearts. Nor his Facebook one.

Instagram videos only last about 12 hours then they expire so that's what will have happened

4 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Instagram videos only last about 12 hours then they expire so that's what will have happened

Cheers rudi :)

9 hours ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

Looking forward to reading Barry Anderson's article tomorrow then.

Right on cue...

17 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Cheers rudi :)

22 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

The video is still on his Instagram page. Might not show if you don't have an account though. 

Not convinced by this. No footage there of him smashing a pacy winger into the advertising boards or clearing the ball 50 yards with his napper.

1 hour ago, the_jailer said:

Right enough we should probably just never sign a player again then. Close up shop.

39 minutes ago, Gav M said:

that doesn't look like tynecastle!

100% guarantee you it is. Just watched his Insta story and its still on there, will post up some screenshots off my phone

Archived