Iconic Animals

All roads lead to Gorgie

All roads lead to Gorgie

With programmes like The Blue Planet on at the moment I wondered what critters you have seen in the flesh, zoos don't count it has to be in the wild.

In this country I have seen Golden Eagles near Spean Bridge.

An Osprey in Perthshire

Snow Buntings and dotterel in the Cairngorms

Basking sharks off Mull

A Whale I couldn't identify in Loch Fyne

Blue Hares and Ptarmigan on many occasions in the hills.

In North America I have seen a Coyote in Colorado, I though it was a proper wolf but it was too small.

Racoons and a skunk, which I stayed well back from obviously in British Columbia

Killer whales off the coast of Vancouver Island 

Still haven't encountered Big Cats, Wolves or Bears yet. Maybe some day. 

In the Med all the colourful fish are something to see as are the lizards on the rocks inshore.

Let us know what you have seen in the way of creatures that grabbed your attention!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• All roads lead to Gorgie

• ri Alban

• Jamhammer

• Kalamazoo Jambo

Seen wild bears twice . Once in Canada and then in Arizona ! It was trotting about near camping site which was worrying . 

Africa : buffalo . Elephants , rhino,  cheetahs . Hippos .Hyenas, Lion  . All of the deer types . 

Black mamba . (Baby one but was a good catch in a bag ) 

Monkeys ( got pissed on by one. Was fuming) 

crocodiles ( while white water rafting )

Note . The lion cub and cheetahs were in an animal orphanage but I played a tug of war game with it . 

Also got to stroke fully grown adult cheetahs and hold some cheetah cubs . Awesome experience . 

Edited by auldy19

All roads lead to Gorgie
6 minutes ago, auldy19 said:

Seen wild bears twice . Once in Canada and then in Arizona ! It was trotting about near camping site which was worrying . 

Africa : buffalo . Elephants , rhino,  cheetahs . Hippos .Hyenas, Lion  . All of the deer types . 

Black mamba . (Baby one but was a good catch in a bag ) 

Monkeys ( got pissed on by one. Was fuming) 

crocodiles ( while white water rafting )

Note . The lion cub and cheetahs were in an animal orphanage but I played a tug of war game with it . 

Also got to stroke fully grown adult cheetahs and hold some cheetah cubs . Awesome experience . 

Africa must be every animal lovers dream with so much to see. You were very lucky to see so much. I am drawn more to the north and the artic though and would love to see Wolves, Grizzlies and Polar Bears some day.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Africa must be every animal lovers dream with so much to see. You were very lucky to see so much. I am drawn more to the north and the artic though and would love to see Wolves, Grizzlies and Polar Bears some day.

You better hurry then :sad:

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Crocs on the golf course in Nigeria prob the coolest/scariest! Like 10 yards from my baw. Chubs Peterson’s all you think about!!

I bet it makes you drive straight though. If the balls in the rough, forget it.:pleased:

Just now, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

One of the perks of my job . Think the safari weekend was only like 40 quid .  The  three other times I went to Kenya I never bothered with the safari as I’d done it before .  Plus the local wildlife was enough . Scary place where life is cheap and proper poverty exists ! 

On my trip to the arctic circle I didn’t see anything really . Just a lot of snow . 

But i I visited a large king penguin colony in the south Atlantic and got close to wild penguins . Nice little day trip

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You better hurry then :sad:

With Trump around very true :disappointed:

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

With Trump around very true :disappointed:

Some ****ers will not be happy until they are all gone. 

9 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I bet it makes you drive straight though. If the balls in the rough, forget it.:pleased:

Defo!! Its funny actually, you don’t feel they’re dangerous. Theyre just basking in the water or on the banks, kinda just minding own business. They’re really sedate. Wouldn’t test that too much mind!! The caddies just ignore them or even shoo them off if they encroach a bit!!

Beautiful beasts. The crocs, no the caddies!!

Edited by TheBigO

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Defo!! Its funny actually, you don’t feel they’re dangerous. Theyre just basking in the water or on the banks, kinda just minding own business. They’re really sedate. Would test that too much mind!! The caddies just ignore them or even shoo them off if they encroach a bit!!

Beautiful beasts. The crocs, no the caddies!!

So Crocodile Dundee wasn't such a hero after all. Having us on, I knew it. :pleased:

Dagger Is Back

Kenya - crocs, lions, flumps, cheetah, giraffes, leopard, hippos, rhino

Gonna chuck in a couple of white tigers swimming. OK it was at Busch Gardens but I stood for 45 minutes watching them as it was so awesome 

...a bit disco

Seen quite a few but the best was a few years ago ,whilst driving through the Cairngorms, when a 12 pointer jumped over a wall and stopped side on on the road in front of us.

Majestic doesn't begin to describe it. 

7 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

So Crocodile Dundee wasn't such a hero after all. Having us on, I knew it. :pleased:

Thats not an 8 iron, this is an 8 iron

the stone rose

I've seen Condors and humming birds and wild guinea pigs in Peru. Also nearly ran over a wolf on the Polish/Lithuanian border. Also seen Flamingos in Portugal. Seen Dolphins, Porpoises and Basking sharks on West coast of Scotland. Peregrine Falcons in Gloucestershire. Probably many more I can't remember at the moment. 

Big salty Crocs in Australia. And cassowary (very big birds,

very dinosaur like!)

Orcas jumping out the water unbelievably close in B.C. inspired one of my tattoos actually.

Pandas in China (before they arrived at Edinburgh zoo. It was always on my bucket list as they are sort of the poster boys of endangered species)

A huge stag standing on top of a rock. Proper 'monarch of the glen' style, postcard perfect. That was at ardnamurchan

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Thats not an 8 iron, this is an 8 iron

:laugh:

157376024.jpg

Various snakes and spiders along with countless kangaroos in Australia.

Including my mate here (and the thousands of his friends that lived on the farm I worked at).

Also seen a lemon shark and unintentially petted a sizeable jellyfish up at the Great Barrier Reef.

SmartSelectImage_2017-12-07-09-51-54.png

Saw a King Cobra in my garden recently (live in Malaysia before anyone panics) which was cool and scary at the same time. See monkeys regular. Got bitten by one recently actually. That’ll teach me to try and take back the food from the ‘greedy’ monkey to give to the ‘shy’ monkey. 

Regularly see fish eagles off the coast here also. And big scary looking monitor lizards. 

Recently saw humpback whales off the coast of Sydney and that was just unbelievable. 

Only really got one good wild animal spotting.

Scuba diving in Turkey the instructor motioned to me to look closer at a large fish head sticking out of the coral.

I was all ready to go closer when I clocked a gap in the coral about a metre away and saw more body. Then it opened its mouth and when I saw those needle like teeth I realised it was a moray eel.

I signaled to the instructor with the international hand symbol for "No chance".

Kinda regret that now. It looked awesome and menacing and you see some great videos of them interacting with divers.

14 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

:oohmatron:

CavySlaveJambo

In the wild

Kangaroo, Wallaby, Pademelon, Quolls and heard a Tassie Devil shreik. 

Also Humpback Whales (off Sydney) and Killer Whales (off BC) 

Also seen Bottlenose Dolphins and Seals in the wild. 

zoltan socrates

Same open water course saw seahorses, octopus, sea cucumber, sea snake

on land, dingoes on fraser island , apparently the purest breed of dingo on the planet, crocs at the daintree river, oz is great for animals

I've kayaked around Manatees in Florida and saw a couple of small alligators in Florida as well.  

'Wild' horses/mules around Death Valley.

ln Scotland I've seen lots, Badgers, Otters, Wallabies, Seals, Stoats, Wild Goats, lot's of Deer both Red and Roe, Adder, Lizards, Dolphins and Porpoises, Golden and Sea Eagles, Buzzards, Kestrels etc etc. 

One of the best 'experiences' was a Sparrowhawk flying into a small tree and getting the sparrow or whatever it was after and flying off with it in a split second. It happened that fast it took a while to register what had just happened. Best bit is, it was at the Pitz in Portobello not some remote hillside!

Edited by SUTOL

Dugs, cats, squirrels, foxes, deer, eagles, buzzards, badgers, swans, geese, ducks, heron, hare, dolphins, porpoise, shark and some other fish.

I seen a whale when I was on the pedalos in Kavos or Benetsis. Arse collapsing moment.

All roads lead to Gorgie
6 hours ago, Morgan said:

:oohmatron:

Aye it always helps when the rough has been trimmed a bit :whistling:

All roads lead to Gorgie

A few I should have added to the Scottish list are Badgers, Stoats, foxes almost every week, Red Deer, Black Throated Divers, Grey and Common Seals, Ravens and the list goes on. Polecats and wild cats not yet but I live in hope.

Edit I forgot Pine Marten to watch out for.

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

I've been loving in Lewis for almost 20 years now and I was working at sea for 4 of those years on a salmon farm. When there, we used to see golden eagles on an almost daily basis, I still stop to watch them whenever I see them. Seen basking sharks and minkie whales numerous times. Seen a killer whale once from the bottom of my croft. Seals all the time, used to shoot them when on the salmon farm. See deer regularly in the autumn and winter on my way to work, like the golden eagles, I never tire of watching them. Buzzards are quite common up here too. Seen some otters once up here. Seen a slow worm once, thougjt it was a type of snake at first. Used to laybtraps for catching mink when I was on a fresh water fish farm, caught them regularly.

When you consider I'm not the type to go looking for wildlife, I'm too lazy and can't be arsed, so it just goes to show what is on our own doorstep in Scotland.

49 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Aye it always helps when the rough has been trimmed a bit :whistling:

See if Bauld shows up on this thread...?

:)

6 minutes ago, superjack said:

I've been loving in Lewis for almost 20 years now and I was working at sea for 4 of those years on a salmon farm. When there, we used to see golden eagles on an almost daily basis, I still stop to watch them whenever I see them. Seen basking sharks and minkie whales numerous times. Seen a killer whale once from the bottom of my croft. Seals all the time, used to shoot them when on the salmon farm. See deer regularly in the autumn and winter on my way to work, like the golden eagles, I never tire of watching them. Buzzards are quite common up here too. Seen some otters once up here. Seen a slow worm once, thougjt it was a type of snake at first. Used to laybtraps for catching mink when I was on a fresh water fish farm, caught them regularly.

When you consider I'm not the type to go looking for wildlife, I'm too lazy and can't be arsed, so it just goes to show what is on our own doorstep in Scotland.

Loving in Lewis :)

Jokes apart, good post Jack :thumb:

Kalamazoo Jambo

Have seen lots of cool animals in my travels around the US, including...

In the Kalamazoo area we have seen deer, garter snakes, rabbits,  northern cardinals, blue jays, woodpeckers, swans, ducks, geese, wild turkeys, frogs, toads, turtles, chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons, groundhogs. Bunch of other birds too. Also possums but only as roadkill :laugh: 

Around the continental US I have seen California condors, bald eagles, coyotes, bison, brown bears (including one climbing a tree), alligators (including one trying but failing to eat a turtle), blue herons (including one stealing a baby alligator), yellow bellied marmots, pikas, turkey vultures, mountain goats, humpback whales, seals, moose and elk.

In Hawaii I got to see rays, mongeese and of course humu humu nuka nuka apua'a.

Have been pretty lucky overall.

All roads lead to Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

See if Bauld shows up on this thread...?

:)

I'm sure like the wild creatures mentioned he will eventually come out of the woods :smile:

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Have seen lots of cool animals in my travels around the US, including...

In the Kalamazoo area we have seen deer, garter snakes, rabbits,  northern cardinals, blue jays, woodpeckers, swans, ducks, geese, frogs, toads, turtles, chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons, groundhogs. Bunch of other birds too. Also possums but only as roadkill :laugh: 

Around the continental US I have seen California condors, bald eagles, coyotes, bison, brown bears (including one climbing a tree), alligators (including one trying but failing to eat a turtle), blue herons (including one stealing a baby alligator), yellow bellied marmots, pikas, mountain goats, humpback whales, seals, moose and elk.

In Hawaii I got to see rays, mongeese and of course humu humu nuka nuka apua'a.

Have been pretty lucky overall.

That reminded me I saw a Chipmunk in a wood on the edge of Boston and a Black Squirrel that I haven't seen anywhere else. The US has such a varied landscape and a great diversity of wildlife suited to hot and cold climes.

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

That reminded me I saw a Chipmunk in a wood on the edge of Boston and a Black Squirrel that I haven't seen anywhere else. The US has such a varied landscape and a great diversity of wildlife suited to hot and cold climes.

It really is an incredible variety. We moved into our new house in June and have had chipmunks, squirrels, birds and even stick insects coming to our back patio, and we have seen deer and and a fox from the comfort of our dining room. Have almost trod on a snake and a toad in our garden. We sometimes hear coyotes and owls but haven't actually seen them...

Kalamazoo Jambo

I should add that proximity to wildlife does come with risks. I had to do an emergency stop the other day when a buck ran in front of my car. Missed him by inches. Also, here's what happened at my local coffee shop recently...

https://www.google.com/amp/woodtv.com/2017/10/27/deer-crashes-through-biggby-coffee-shop-window/amp/

Pelicans, aligator's, armadillo, bald eagles in Florida at the cape Kennedy. Osprey, golden eagles, buzzards (everyday in Livingston), basking sharks, otters, adders, lizard's, red kites, perigrin falcons and loads more in Scotland.

This is a good thread.

No personal experience but, we have friends who have a home in the Sierra Nevada in California. They have regular ‘visitors’ of raccoons  and bears. The bears play with them incredibly. Sometimes, the world is quite lovely.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

I should add that proximity to wildlife does come with risks. I had to do an emergency stop the other day when a buck ran in front of my car. Missed him by inches. Also, here's what happened at my local coffee shop recently...

https://www.google.com/amp/woodtv.com/2017/10/27/deer-crashes-through-biggby-coffee-shop-window/amp/

The deer maybe thought it was entering a Star- Bucks coffee place. Sorry. 

Great place you live in, I just hope Trump doesn't ride rough shot over the National parks to exploit the underground resources they may contain!

John Gentleman

I once (unintentionally) hooked a duck-billed platypus while fly fishing on the Goulburn River in Victoria.

One of the most seriously weird critters a human can set eyes on. It sits somewhere between a reptile and a mammal, but cannae make up its mind.

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

I once (unintentionally) hooked a duck-billed platypus while fly fishing on the Goulburn River in Victoria.

One of the most seriously weird critters a human can set eyes on. It sits somewhere between a reptile and a mammal, but cannae make up its mind.

Australia is an example of evolution going off on its own when the size of surrounding oceans mean migration of species is difficult. It must be great living in a place with such unique wildlife. :thumbsup:

Went on a walking safari in Hwange national park in Zimbabwe about 10 years ago. The guide had an SLR rifle so I felt pretty safe.

we were walking through the bush and about 100ft in front of us 2 giraffes walked out into a clearing in the early morning sunshine. I was stuck to the spot in amazement. I will never forget that feeling.

On the same holiday I had to stop the car to allow a family of elephants cross the road in front of me. Breathtaking.

58 minutes ago, Jeff said:

bit off topic but how anyone can shoot animals for sport I will never know.

Agreed. I know a few folk who enjoy murdering innocent birds on country estates in Scotland (sorry 'sporting' estates) whilst wearing Barbour gear.

One even boasted to me that he happened across a fox a 'put it out of its misery' with his shotgun.

Repugnant to me.

Edited by Pans Jambo

• 1 year later...
Kalamazoo Jambo

While I was walking the dog early this morning, a coyote wandered across the street about 50 feet in front of us. Didn't give us a second glance!

On 06/12/2017 at 23:26, Dagger Is Back said:

Kenya - crocs, lions, flumps, cheetah, giraffes, leopard, hippos, rhino

Gonna chuck in a couple of white tigers swimming. OK it was at Busch Gardens but I stood for 45 minutes watching them as it was so awesome 

Over a year and nobody noticed he is claiming to have seen wild flumps.

A raccoon in Vancouver. They’re cool as. Thought it was a cat. Like wee burglars.

The only good think about a week on the toilet in Egypt was the tremendous snorkelling before the world fell out of my bottom