Team for RC

18ally74

Though both Jamie W & David M are not out and out wingers I would play both from the start tomorrow. That would allow Hearts to play on both touchlines for a change instead of the mundane, bogged down midfield rubbish we've been accustomed to this season. To be fair we do have our plan B of the long hopeful ball to back up the substandard play in midfield. By playing the aforementioned JW & DM out wide it'll give us a chance to play some fitba on the deck and allow us to use the whole park with the ball under control instead of merely chasing the long ball into the corners.

What I'm saying is, play the two who are best suited to play wide and let Djoum and either Callachan/Cowie do what they do in the middle. We have still to see Walker and Milinkovic together at the same time in a Hearts team and tomorrow is as good a time to start as any.

Therefore my team for tomorrow would be;

McLaughlin, rb Brandon, lb Smith, Hughes and Berra at the back

Djoum and Callachan in cm with Walker & Milinkovic out wide

Isma & Laff up top

That team might, just might entertain and more importantly win the match?

Roll on January and some new signings.

Tokyo Drifter

I like Milinkovic and I was glad he started last week but he did fade. Plus I think he's a powerful asset to have on the bench, so I'd be tempted to start Cochrane (if he's fit) alongside Djoum, Cowie and Walker, and then bring Milinkovic on, plus either Callachan or Nowak (for Cowie, probably). And please Craig, if you're reading, don't make us watch Cole Stockton puffing about the place for the last 10 minutes when we get pegged back to 1-1. He hasn't yet and he won't ever.

McLaughlin

Brandon

Berra

Hughes

Cowie

Callachan

Walker

Djoum

Skinny (feed him all game)

Isma

Lafferty

No point wasting any player at full back

julienbrellier

Agree with the OP, no pi55ing about here. 4-4-2, get all our creative players (who hopefully will start giving a **** soon) on the park.

Mclaughlin

Smith  Berra  Hughes  Brandon

Walker  Callaghan Djoum  Milinkovic

Isma   Lafferty

julienbrellier

if that team above was motivated we would sweep aside teams like Partick and Ross County

I won´t hold my breath though

12 minutes ago, julienbrellier said:

Agree with the OP, no pi55ing about here. 4-4-2, get all our creative players (who hopefully will start giving a **** soon) on the park.

Mclaughlin

Isma   Lafferty

Like this team. Only thing i'd say is Brandon won't be consistent enough to be relied on yet.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, julienbrellier said:

if that team above was motivated we would sweep aside teams like Partick and Ross County

I won´t hold my breath though

That's not true.

Never has been bar 1/ 2 seasons in my lifetime.

We should beat them 9/10 at home and finish above them. 

Dunno were this " we should be sweeping them aside" comes from?

McLaughlin 

Brandon__Hughes/Souttar__Berra__Smith

___________________Djoum__Cowie/Callachan

______________________Walker 

__________Milinkovic__Lafferty__Isma 

Just have a go, no point in playing for clean sheets if you're not creating chances

23 minutes ago, julienbrellier said:

Mclaughlin

Isma   Lafferty

This is what’s If go with, although I’d switch Smith & Brandon over.

You know what? I'd play Isma behind two forwards seeing as we don't appear to have (and haven't for a long time) an attacking midfielder. Why not give Stockton a start, go with him and Lafferty up-front and Isma behind. It might close the massive gap between midfield and front a bit.

We're not playing well, Levein has tried a few different things, it's not working so why not give this a go? After-all, Stockton was signed as a striker. I'd go... McLaughlin, with Smith or Brandon right-wingback, 3 man defence - Berra, Hughes, Souttar, Milinkovic left wing-back (well, not much choice and he's ok on his left foot, and Hughes or someone can cover when he gets forward), Berra, Hughes or Souttar can step out occasionally and help as defensive midfielder, Cowie and Djoum/Callaghan in midfield.

McLaughlin

Smith/Brandon

Milinkovic

Berra

Hughes

Souttar

Cowie

Callaghan/Djoum

Lafferty

Stockton

Goncalves

Things can be changed if nescesary on the bench, Hamilton, Callaghan/Djoum, Smith/Brandon, Walker, Randall, Cochrane, Nowak.

Might be a bit of a risk but at least it's attacking. And it can be changed 

When souttar is back id quite like to see

Souttar hughes berra

Brandon djoum callachan smith

Walker lafferty isma

Think the 343 formation was one of the only things cathro got right

Lord Beni of Gorgie

McLaughlin

Berra, Hughes, Nowak

Randall, Smith

Djoum, Cowie, Walker, Callachan

Goncalves

As close as I could get to the team that played Aberdeen, with availability. I suppose I could have gave Grizller a run out since he played that day, but I'll stick with Smith.

McLaughlin
Baur Berra Hughes
Milinkovic Djoum Souttar Moore
Lafferty Isma Keena/Currie

OR 

McLaughlin
Smith Berra Hughes / Souttar Smith
Milinkovic Djoum Cowie Moore
Lafferty Isma

Agree with the OP, with the exception that I came down in favour of Cowie over Callahan.

Posted this earlier in the week...

Given the run of games we have coming up we should aim for consistency of selection, get our best players on the park, play with width and set out to attack. Overall my mantra would be keep it simple for the players and let them play. Man-for-man we should be better than any of our next 4 opponents. For that reason I'd only make one change to Saturday's team. I'd drop Callachan for Walker.

Tell Walker he is playing as a right midfield/ winger and to stay out there.  This would give us width and force Isma and Lafferty closer together, making them more effective. It would put less pressure on Walker to be the main focus of all our play which would make it harder for opposition to focus all their efforts on closing him down, giving him more space, hopefully helping him to re-find his best form.

Further back the defence should be left as it is, which is a bit harsh on Souttar, but I don't like the idea of tinkering to a back 3 to fit him in. Brandon isn't ready to play as a wingback. He was good on Sunday, but his biggest issue was that he didn't get crosses in early enough (or at all), which is ok as a full back but not if further forward. His second biggest issue was being exposed because we weren't playing anyone on the right. Playing with Walker on the right would be a good pairing with Brandon. When Walker does cut inside it would create room for Brandon to go forward. Walker has got much better at tracking back and defending in the last couple of seasons. Most importantly it would give Brandon a simple job to do as he gets used to first team football.

The only question is what to do about central midfield. I think for games at home against weaker opposition, we should be able to control the game without overloading the midfield and going from three to two in centre mid may actually free up space for those two to be effective. Djoum is only just back from a lengthy injury and on Sunday already did enough to show what we have been missing and should be given the more attacking role of a centre mid pairing. Who should we play along aside him. On balance I'd ask Cowie to play a more defensive role for these next few games. He exposes us a little from a defensive point of view but has the energy to close players down and get in their faces. What he offers is the ability to recycle the ball and pick passes more effectively than any of Callchan, Randall, Nowak or Souttar. Against Ross County, Hamilton, Motherwell and Dundee that is a chance I'd be willing to take.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Balance and lack of width is costing us, not sure trying to play both strikers is helping that. Bad luck, but one needs to be benched until we get the balance that allows both the chance to play

I'd go

McLaughlin
Brandon Hughes Berra Smith
Walker Cowie Djoum Milinkovic
Isma Lafferty

i'd be telling both wide players to stay out on the wing

McLaughlin

Cowie Djoum

Milinkovic Walker Goncalves

Lafferty

Little to pick between most of the imposters in the squad.  Hope whichever 11 of them are picked this week do better than they have most of the season.

If Souttar can play, go with a back three.  If our three best CHs are healthy, always a back three. We're far better that way.

Smith and Brandon at the wingbacks. Djoum in the middle.  Isma and Lafferty up front.

The rest of the positions -- whatever. Not sure there's much between the options there at that point.

Milinkovic needs to start matches to build confidence, start feeling part of things and showing us what he’s got. He can’t do that in one or two matches.

Would be totally wrong to bench him imo.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Like this team. Only thing i'd say is Brandon won't be consistent enough to be relied on yet.

He's also not a lb.

2 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Walker in for Laff or Isma, two up ain’t working.  Would also like to see Cochrane in for Callachan. 

These 2 are the only ones scoring any goals though. I’d start with both 

2 hours ago, HopeDiouf said:

Little to pick between most of the imposters in the squad.  Hope whichever 11 of them are picked this week do better than they have most of the season.

Correct, too many guisers and many yet to offer 100% effort.

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

McLaughlin

Cowie Djoum

Lafferty

Play the best players available in the best available positions. That's the top 11 -- attack minded too

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

McLaughlin

Cowie Djoum

Lafferty

Remove Cowie and put in Buaben, Cochrane or Beith and that would be a good team.

I would swap Brandon and Smith as it’s unfair on Smith to be played out of position because we don’t have a competent left back.

We need to stop going back to front though.

Based on form Walker for Callachan would be best move, if not Lafferty.

Need to keep feeding Milinkovic, he was our main attacking threat last week and got a feeling he could be a valuable player for us once gets amoungst the goals.

Time to go a 4-4-2 and/or with width and start dominating games at home which we should be winning.

11 hours ago, ericb said:

Mcglauchlin 

Smith

Hughes

berra

Brandon

souttar

cowie

djoum

walker

isma

lafferty

This for me.  Confusing why people still want Callachan in the team, offers absolutely nothing.

Seymour M Hersh
16 hours ago, 18ally74 said:

Though both Jamie W & David M are not out and out wingers I would play both from the start tomorrow. That would allow Hearts to play on both touchlines for a change instead of the mundane, bogged down midfield rubbish we've been accustomed to this season. To be fair we do have our plan B of the long hopeful ball to back up the substandard play in midfield. By playing the aforementioned JW & DM out wide it'll give us a chance to play some fitba on the deck and allow us to use the whole park with the ball under control instead of merely chasing the long ball into the corners.

What I'm saying is, play the two who are best suited to play wide and let Djoum and either Callachan/Cowie do what they do in the middle. We have still to see Walker and Milinkovic together at the same time in a Hearts team and tomorrow is as good a time to start as any.

Therefore my team for tomorrow would be;

McLaughlin, rb Brandon, lb Smith, Hughes and Berra at the back

Djoum and Callachan in cm with Walker & Milinkovic out wide

Isma & Laff up top

That team might, just might entertain and more importantly win the match?

Roll on January and some new signings.

Your midfield will get over-run. 

I'd drop Callachan and start Walker.

I'd even be tempted to start Nowak as it might give Djoum more freedom and last time he came in (Rangers?) he looked assured and passed well.

Stockton might be worth a start too.

15 hours ago, richiehmfc said:

I'd go

McLaughlin
Walker Cowie Djoum Milinkovic
Isma Lafferty

i'd be telling both wide players to stay out on the wing

This would be my team as well. Need to start having some consistency in selection to build up understanding between players.  So back 4 stays the same, 2 up top stays the same. Only change walker in for Callaghan to add something more creativity, and Callaghan offered nothing last week. Djoum and Cowie central in their best positions with Walker and  milinkovic out wide hopefully linking midfield and attack and offering some creativity!!

Would also play Walker out wide right. See how him and Brandon get on creating stuff working together. Walker doesn’t like going on the outside so Brandon can get round him and give us some width 

Diadora Van Basten
1 hour ago, Glottis said:

I'd drop Callachan and start Walker.

I'd even be tempted to start Nowak as it might give Djoum more freedom and last time he came in (Rangers?) he looked assured and passed well.

Stockton might be worth a start too.

I wanted Stockton to do well but if anything he seems to be going back the way and looks a couple of stone overweight. The under 20s strikers look like they will go past him in the pecking order.

Archived