Footballers you can't help but like

hueyview

Bazzas right boot
Just now, smiler said:

What are you on about now you slavering oaf?

If I need to explain, there is no point.

Have a nice night.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

It was, I think. That made more sense than just listing good players/ nice guys.

I like John Robertson, Craig Levien, Colin Cameron, Adam, rudi.tosh, Davie Mac, JC, Robbie N,...

This game's easy!

With that in mind.

Not seen Roy Keane mentioned.

Scott Brown was, though........ 

Just now, Bowmans_Boot said:

Yeah, and while I can get the respect for the Thumb, and I know Brown does all kinds of good things off the pitch, on it I just hate him. I'd put Kenny Miller, Brown, and Imrie and the top of my current SPFL player shitlist.

Always like Andy Carroll. Never worth the fees paid for him but I enjoy watching him.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

Aye, I'm not in with that, but if he played for us, Wiz a good Hertz man, I could see the point. I just don't think he's that good, and he's a prick so a double  blah from me on that one.

I always had time for Peter Grant. Absolute bampot but likeable with it. Heard a tale from Lockie that PG and Pasquale Bruno got on well. I know it's borderline sacrilege but I also had time for Yogi. Dirty Hibbie but couldn't help liking him.

Pirlo - He could walk around the pitch and control the entire game, class.

Leigh Griffiths - Not the brightest but I do admire how much he has improved.

Gazza - Quality player and daft as a brush

Henrik Larson - Sheer class, privelaged to have seen him play.

28 minutes ago, meister said:

I was a big fan of the Dun Utd team that got to the UEFA final, and John Clark in particular for some reason. 100% commitment.

gordon Dalziel

Peter Crouch

David Beckham

Davie Cooper

Kevin MCAlister

Jorg Albertz

Jan Molby

John Barnes

Peter Beardsley

Henry smith

Paolo Rossi

Socrates

Preben Elkjaer

Gheorghe Hagi

Dozens more if I sat down for a bit and thought about it.

Quite a list. Beckham is a lad I would have in my team like Shearer, a proper England striver.  Hagi, great player.  I started this thread in a response/reflection of the Football sticker thread last weekend.  I never got the Edvaldson, Celtic card or the young Robbo card.....  Don't mention Willie Pettigrew...  Had 15 of him.

I saw John Robertson destroying Hibs in all those derbies, and watched Best appearing at Easter road, with my dad, both probably the worse for wear...    I love fitba.....

11 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

I always had time for Peter Grant. Absolute bampot but likeable with it. Heard a tale from Lockie that PG and Pasquale Bruno got on well. I know it's borderline sacrilege but I also had time for Yogi. Dirty Hibbie but couldn't help liking him.

Knew Yogi as a kid......no change, meat and potato lad.......  Like myself  really...

Eric Black gave defenders a torrid time. Incredible in the air. Shame he had to retire due to injury. Possibly the closest Scotland has come to producing a van Basten type player. 

Criminal he only got a couple of caps.

4 hours ago, hueyview said:

Quite a list. Beckham is a lad I would have in my team like Shearer, a proper England striver.  Hagi, great player.  I started this thread in a response/reflection of the Football sticker thread last weekend.  I never got the Edvaldson, Celtic card or the young Robbo card.....  Don't mention Willie Pettigrew...  Had 15 of him.

I saw John Robertson destroying Hibs in all those derbies, and watched Best appearing at Easter road, with my dad, both probably the worse for wear...    I love fitba.....

I missed the sticker thread to be honest which I’m gutted at.

Was Gary Flitcroft of QPR mentioned ? Like Jar Jar Binks in hoops so he was !!!

I know plenty disagree but I also loved Perry Kitchen -- how could I not? Hard-working American who really took to Hearts and embraced the club and its culture. Never should have been run off by Cathro.

Big Slim Stylee
7 hours ago, hueyview said:

I went with my Uncle to Easter Road simply to see Best. Was it the Celtic game you went to? Massive ruck that day :)

6 hours ago, Ugly American said:

I know plenty disagree but I also loved Perry Kitchen -- how could I not? Hard-working American who really took to Hearts and embraced the club and its culture. Never should have been run off by Cathro.

He was shit though mate. 

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

Rino Gattuso. His sheer determination took him further than his skills.

QuerulousMetallicAndeancat-max-1mb.gif

15 minutes ago, Glottis said:

Diego Costa.

Love watching him play.

Both of these actually, I've always liked the pricks (even I can't like el Hadji Diouf though)

12 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Yeah, and while I can get the respect for the Thumb, and I know Brown does all kinds of good things off the pitch, on it I just hate him. I'd put Kenny Miller, Brown, and Imrie and the top of my current SPFL player shitlist.

Always like Andy Carroll. Never worth the fees paid for him but I enjoy watching him.

Met Scott Brown a while back at Center Parcs and he was really not that bad. Had his kids with him and made sure they didn't act like idiots towards the younger ones, and even went in goals to let a few penalties through his legs for the little ones. 

On the the pitch however....jeez !!!

12 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

If I need to explain, there is no point.

Have a nice night.

Was pretty obvious what you meant. 

16 hours ago, Darren said:

John Terry is probably the biggest ***** in football.

Surely the biggest ***** in football is Ryan Giggs. I don’t think you can go lower than snaking your brothers wife for 10 years. 

Andy Ritchie at Morton was a brilliant footballer. Always played well against us. Big and labelled lazy but tremendous skill and scored loads of goals.

Always loved watching Albertz and Laudrop.

On the thumb, Personally I hate him because he's racist wee fud who I wouldn't get tired punching.

Henrik Larson was a fabulous player. Never dived and played the gentleman's game. To come back after that leg break also...

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Anderson5 said:

Surely the biggest ***** in football is Ryan Giggs. I don’t think you can go lower than snaking your brothers wife for 10 years. 

That's a dull one.

MacDonald Jardine
8 hours ago, Ugly American said:

He said he got Hearts but did precious little to show it.

His tweet following the cup replay was just embarrassing. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Craig Levein. Best player in a Hearts jersey.  If only knee operations were as advanced back then 

1 hour ago, VladMagic said:

Henrik Larson was a fabulous player. Never dived and played the gentleman's game.

He was a fabulous player, but he perfected the act of diving. Funny how folk recall things differently.

6 hours ago, Deek said:

Andy Ritchie at Morton was a brilliant footballer. Always played well against us. Big and labelled lazy but tremendous skill and scored loads of goals.

Brilliant. Just watched all of that and thoroughly enjoyed it. A real character of the game and they just don’t make them like that any more. If he had been better coached and worked at his fitness more he could have achieved so much more.

On 11/24/2017 at 12:41, Bowmans_Boot said:

What he said was racist, I dont believe he is racist, though. Most people have said something racist/sectarian at some point in the heat of the moment. 

Not true.

20 hours ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

Are you  a bit racist inside, then? 

I think most people say things when they are highly strung/under pressure which they don't really mean. 

Not really following you here. I wouldn't say "you're gorgeous, by the way" to an ugly girl, no matter how drunk I was.

I do think I might be a bit racist inside; I remember commenting on the number of foreign staff in Tesco with the implication that it made it seem more downmarket than previously, and I've certainly caught myself in parts of London and New York feeling that I would be more comfortable when back in a white majority area.

I can't imagine for a moment that I would ever call someone a black ****, though, even in my head.

15 hours ago, Smithee said:

He was shit though mate. 

I wouldn't want him back as a first-choice starter but when Cowie, Djoum, and Buaben were out and we were playing Grzelak and Randall in midfield, you're telling me you wouldn't rather have had Kitchen out there? Or for that matter, have him instead of Buaben?

7 hours ago, Thaw said:

Not really following you here. I wouldn't say "you're gorgeous, by the way" to an ugly girl, no matter how drunk I was.

I do think I might be a bit racist inside; I remember commenting on the number of foreign staff in Tesco with the implication that it made it seem more downmarket than previously, and I've certainly caught myself in parts of London and New York feeling that I would be more comfortable when back in a white majority area.

I can't imagine for a moment that I would ever call someone a black ****, though, even in my head.

I think the self-awareness that you have racist thoughts sometimes is a big protection from saying it out loud. It's people who refuse to acknowledge it who blurt out with that stuff. (Or those who decide they're racist and that's fine, of course.)

50 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

I wouldn't want him back as a first-choice starter but when Cowie, Djoum, and Buaben were out and we were playing Grzelak and Randall in midfield, you're telling me you wouldn't rather have had Kitchen out there? Or for that matter, have him instead of Buaben?

It's all about opinions of course, but I didn't rate Kitchen even though I really wanted him to be good. Yeah he'd be better than absolute dross but that's not a good enough reason to keep a player, especially an international who'll need to be playing regularly - if we couldn't promise him that the then it was right for him to leave 

In Scotland, Ally McCoist. Only Larsson has been as good a forward in Scotland in the last 40+ years.

I've seen Zidane playing in Real Madrid and Juventus masters' teams, alongside Roberto Carlos, Figo and Butragueño and against Nedved and several others. He was a mile ahead of all of them. He had controlled the ball before it reached him and controlled the game without effort, without breaking sweat and often without leaving the centre circle. More impressive than Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, comparable only to Usain Bolt and Muhammad Ali for effortless superiority and mastery.

1994-0624-Jorge-Campos-Mexican-National-Team-uniform.thumb.jpg.4f41b27cf9645219c39b099530f9a756.jpg   

Jorge Campos at 5' 6" for a goalkeeper.  Just unbelievable, and his antics outside of the box.  I just thought he was crazy and I loved him.  What about that kit as well. Total extrovert,

Archived