Playing surface

chico1874

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts were about our pitch?

with all these home games coming up will it survive?

Noticed a lot of players loosing their footing against Partick. But was that just a poor choice of footwear?

Anyway the pitch was used as an excuse in the Hibs 2-2 game and was promptly ripped up, hopefully it'll not come to that again! 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, chico1874 said:

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts were about our pitch?

with all these home games coming up will it survive?

Noticed a lot of players loosing their footing against Partick. But was that just a poor choice of footwear?

Anyway the pitch was used as an excuse in the Hibs 2-2 game and was promptly ripped up, hopefully it'll not come to that again! 

Had a chat about this after the match, and we were all a bit concerned at how soft and easily it cut up. The pitch will Probably be bald and bobbly like the last surface in the not too distant future. 

Just now, DG_HMFC said:

Had a chat about this after the match, and we were all a bit concerned at how soft and easily it cut up. The pitch will Probably be bald and bobbly like the last surface in the not too distant future. 

It's Strange because the pitch looks great from the stands. Can't get my head round why it seems to be so fragile! 

Just now, chico1874 said:

It's Strange because the pitch looks great from the stands. Can't get my head round why it seems to be so fragile! 

Looks amazing, but far too soft, and a soft surface will always end up in a bit of a state.

Let me say the pitch cutting up easily was clearly Levein fault and until he is removed from the club we will have to out up with substandard pitches. Let's face it no grass would want to grow under his regime 

Am I doing it right?

I've always thought the turf looks a bit soft and loose on top at Tynecastle, definitely something that needs addressed, especially if we get a manager that wants to play a bit of football.

I think the undersold heating being on, contributed to the pitch being soft. Groundstaff were working on the pitch straight after the game last Sunday.

11 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Let me say the pitch cutting up easily was clearly Levein fault and until he is removed from the club we will have to out up with substandard pitches. Let's face it no grass would want to grow under his regime 

Am I doing it right?

Bloody boot room! :mad:

been here before

Looks to me like its been cut to within an inch of its life when it should have been left to grow a bit, strengthen the roots etc.

For what is essentially a brand new pitch which has had hardly any games in it for the last 6 months I thought it looked pretty suspect.

mahgrassyshoes
16 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I think the undersold heating being on, contributed to the pitch being soft. Groundstaff were working on the pitch straight after the game last Sunday.

I’d agree with that. I thought there were 2 rather large dark strips in the goal areas between the post and edges of the 6 yard box. 

Pitch was was definitely cutting up too easy and will do well to look

like it did on Saturday come Christmas. 

Too many workies having a  kick about on it during the construction of the new stand, hence delays and poor quality of pitch QED

4 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

How do you stiffin up the pitch? 

Naked pictures of female plants.

kingantti1874
16 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Stop cutting it every day.. groundstaff making an arse of it

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Tickle it's roots.

queensferryjambo
1 hour ago, chico1874 said:

It was the 0-0 game at Tynecastle. 

Looked heavy and cutting up - could be a problem with a run of home games. Not sure why it shouldn't be better

1 hour ago, Jambo Radus said:

Too many workies having a  kick about on it during the construction of the new stand, hence delays and poor quality of pitch QED

Can any of these lads do a midfield job..  :)

1 hour ago, Bozi said:

Am I doing it right?

Yes!

You earn 20 Quisling points and a free curry from Thomaso!

Seymour M Hersh
8 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Stop cutting it every day.. groundstaff making an arse of it

How do you know they are doing that and it's the cause of the poor surface?

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

How do you know they are doing that and it's the cause of the poor surface?

The guys on site said on the other thread that they are cutting it to within an inch of its life every day.. if you know anything at all about grass you know that you should not be doing this in the early days of new turf. There's absolutely no need..it weakens the roots.. again they were out with the mower within seconds of the final whistle on Sunday.. 

The groundstaff screwed up the last pitch IMO and in the process of repeating the same trick with this brand spanking new one 

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

The guys on site said on the other thread that they are cutting it to within an inch of its life every day.. if you know anything at all about grass you know that you should not be doing this in the early days of new turf. There's absolutely no need..it weakens the roots.. again they were out with the mower within seconds of the final whistle on Sunday.. 

The groundstaff screwed up the last pitch IMO and in the process of repeating the same trick with this brand spanking new one 

I know nowt about tending to a lawn as I live in a flat tbh but I notice that whenever I've watched a live EPL game and they're discussing the game post match you see the lawn mowers out so maybe not just a Hearts ground staff thing. As for them screwing up the last pitch I think there was chat about the soil being so compacted as it had not been changed for decades being part responsible. Not sure I get your hate for the ground staff. Did you apply for the job and miss out?:laugh:

stirlingshirejambo
25 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I have no knowledge of tending lawns but when you talk about a new pitch is this particularly new?

when was it relaid January/February?

kingantti1874
34 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I know nowt about tending to a lawn as I live in a flat tbh but I notice that whenever I've watched a live EPL game and they're discussing the game post match you see the lawn mowers out so maybe not just a Hearts ground staff thing. As for them screwing up the last pitch I think there was chat about the soil being so compacted as it had not been changed for decades being part responsible. Not sure I get your hate for the ground staff. Did you apply for the job and miss out?:laugh:

There's no hate here mate don't be silly..  but if this pitch goes the same way as the last one then the root cause is obvious.. read a few pages back on the main stand thread for some opinions other than my own .  a new lawn requires time to knit.. cutting it every day isn't the way to strengthen the top layer 

Ps epl pitches are hybrid so they don't need to knit as such.. And EPL clubs can afford constant solar boxes covering the full pitch so constant growth.. maybe out guys have been watching too much EPL:)

10 hours ago, Bozi said:

Am I doing it right?

You neglected to mention Mrs Budge being too nice to employ a groundsman but close 

Howdy Doody Jambo
34 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Could the pitch problems at Tynecastle be something to do with Edinburgh's volcanic soil? Possibly a bit loose, with not enough clay to knit together?

och naw, it's been dug up and relaid mare times than anything, could just be the humidity or the amount of rain we have had this year 

If it is ****ed again after just being replaced about 8 months ago then the grounds staff need their jotters, that's an absolute joke and one that has cost us hundreds of thousands of pounds.

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

Could the pitch problems at Tynecastle be something to do with Edinburgh's volcanic soil? Possibly a bit loose, with not enough clay to knit together?

I would doubt it - tons of new soil has been brought in over the years.

26 minutes ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

:laugh:

What next, signage on McLeod street? Too much salt in the pies?

None of these effect the football - a poor pitch does.

4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

What's this "hate for the ground staff" rubbish??  There is genuine concern over the way the pitch has cut up after it's first game in months.

As I said on the Main Stand thread, the guy has been cutting the grass 'to the wood' nearly every day during stand construction.  When I mentioned that to a golf course head greenkeeper pal of mine (also a Jambo) he said that the grass has to be allowed to grow and thicken up - seemingly constant cutting takes all the nutrients out of the grass, and you end up with a thin covering with poor root system.

There is now virtually no grass growth in these months so we may have a problem again - let's see how the pitch looks after the game on Saturday.

4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

What's this "hate for the ground staff" rubbish??  There is genuine concern over the way the pitch has cut up after it's first game in months.

As I said on the Main Stand thread, the guy has been cutting the grass 'to the wood' nearly every day during stand construction.  When I mentioned that to a golf course head greenkeeper pal of mine (also a Jambo) he said that the grass has to be allowed to grow and thicken up - seemingly constant cutting takes all the nutrients out of the grass, and you end up with a thin covering with poor root system.

There is now virtually no grass growth in these months so we may have a problem again - let's see how the pitch looks after the game on Saturday.

Glass and Grass expertise. ?

11 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Yes!

You earn 20 Quisling points and a free curry from Thomaso!

:thumb:

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Glass and Grass expertise. ?

Just passing on the view of a grass expert Dave.

Just now, Thomaso said:

Just passing on the view of a grass expert Dave.

I’ve no expertise in either but thought the ‘closeness’ of the words was quite funny, but probably not. ?

Anyway, I imagine if the pitch does quickly deteriorate ( as some suspect ) then serious questions need to be asked given the cost earlier in the year. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I’ve no expertise in either but thought the ‘closeness’ of the words was quite funny, but probably not. ?

Anyway, I imagine if the pitch does quickly deteriorate ( as some suspect ) then serious questions need to be asked given the cost earlier in the year. 

Agreed.

Just now, sassenach said:

I remember the state of Anfield in the 70s and 80s - basically mud with a few roots on it.

Didn't stop that Liverpool team from knocking the ball around a bit.

I'm not saying Hearts should be able to play like the great Liverpool sides, but is there a modern tendency to make too much of the standard of pitches?

Modern footballers and football boots

We were sliding around a lot on Sunday I noticed. Pitch will struggle this winter with all these games but it will probably suit us nore than our opponents for obvious reasons.

What are we saying here?

A newly layed turf only 4 months ago with one game played and its a quagmire already?

Either the ground-staff need to go back to college or we need to be getting the company who layed it to sort it. Pay loadsamunney and its not 'fit for purpose'?

18 minutes ago, jambali said:

It also gets overwatered

Seemingly a pitch should not be over watered to encourage the roots to go deeper into the soil for moisture, and that anchors the turf in position.

34 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I remember the state of Anfield in the 70s and 80s - basically mud with a few roots on it.

Didn't stop that Liverpool team from knocking the ball around a bit.

I'm not saying Hearts should be able to play like the great Liverpool sides, but is there a modern tendency to make too much of the standard of pitches?

Our football management made a big issue of the previous poor playing surface - hence Budge rubber stamped the new pitch at a big cost.

2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Seemingly a pitch should not be over watered to encourage the roots to go deeper into the soil for moisture, and that anchors the turf in position.

So in a nutshell going by observations: they are cutting it too short/too frequently and overwatering it

I think that's exactly what made the problems last time so bad, being excessively watered before games in the winter and being cut often

Archived