Marathons

RussAsia

Did my first marathon in Bangkok on Sunday and ran a time of 4 hour 5 mins exactly.

Little disappointed as I was hoping to break the 4 hour barrier. A few reasons for that could be the surprising heat and humidity (I knew there would be some but Sunday was slightly hotter and more humid that in the previous weeks when I had been running), over thinking the day before the race (which led to me eating too much) and the organisers scattergun approach to laying out the distance markers especially in the 2nd half.

Firstly who else has run marathons?

Secondly I have my second marathon on 10 December so hoping to break the 4 hour marker.. Anyone got any tips or advice? Unfortunately a pre booked weekend away puts pay to any running getting done the first weekend in December. 

Wouldn't be doing another marathon in December. Even professional marathon runners would put more time in between. 

I have never run a marathon however have done a few 10ks and 1 half marathon and have found the only thing which improves is time and training. 

Apparently those gel things can help but are quite tough on the gut 

Well done in your first marathon, I'm sure you'll do a sub 4hr next time.

ive done 3 marathons and the D33 ultra marathon.

good luck for your next one in December :thumbsup:

Fruitmachine76

I’ve done 6 marathons and the ultra tour of Edinburgh.  In 2012 I did 3 marathons in 6 weeks.  So similar break between marathons that you’ll have.

it is possible to do better your time but I guess it depends how much you spent energy wise the first time round.  The 2nd of my three in 2012 was the one I targeted to get a PB in, so I treated the first one as almost another training run.  I was 23 mins quicker for that second marathon.  

In the three weeks between the two, I did pretty much nothing for two weeks then a couple of two or three milers in the week leading up to the second, just to loosen the legs again. 

Good luck! 

Nelly Terraces

Hi there. Marathon veteran here. I've done 22 of them with a PB of 2.57 & normally am running between 40 to 60 miles per week so can hopefully offer a bit of advice.

1st off, congrats on completing your 1st mara, always a fantastic achievement, especially in the conditions in Bangkok, was there (& rest of Thailand) on my honeymoon in July & longest hoof I managed outdoors was 8 miles & even for an experienced runner I found the humidity very draining. You certainly picked a tough race for your 1st one there buddy, massive respect - anything after that will be a helluva lot easier for sure!

As for doing another only 3 weeks later, well it's doable but that's certainly some undertaking so soon into your running 'career' & you shouldn't expect to beat your time from Bangers (where is the next 1 by way?). It takes the body some time to recover from the battering a mara gives it, muscle & connective tissue will have lots of little tears etc. I've only done 2 back to back twice (5 weeks between the 2 races both times), & found the 2nd OK but the body was definitely feeling effects of the 1st.

My advice would be just to go out, forget anything about beating your previous time, & just enjoy it. If you're serious about getting your time down there's plenty time for that later. Initially it'd be good to know your age, amount of mpw you have been doing & running history to date & also an idea of how you've structured your weekly training regime. We can take things from there. 

Quite happy for you to PM me if you want a proper chat mate, more than happy to help. In the meantime, I can't recommend this book highly enough, it's the marathon bible & was recommended to me by some seriously shit hot runners a few years ago. Certainly was responsible for me getting under 3 hours for sure. If you read & understand the principles of training for a mara your times will tumble. 

Good luck, again - well done & keep on running - it's the ****ing bomb.?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/dp/0736074600

3 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Hi there. Marathon veteran here. I've done 22 of them with a PB of 2.57 & normally am running between 40 to 60 miles per week so can hopefully offer a bit of advice.

1st off, congrats on completing your 1st mara, always a fantastic achievement, especially in the conditions in Bangkok, was there (& rest of Thailand) on my honeymoon in July & longest hoof I managed outdoors was 8 miles & even for an experienced runner I found the humidity very draining. You certainly picked a tough race for your 1st one there buddy, massive respect - anything after that will be a helluva lot easier for sure!

As for doing another only 3 weeks later, well it's doable but that's certainly some undertaking so soon into your running 'career' & you shouldn't expect to beat your time from Bangers (where is the next 1 by way?). It takes the body some time to recover from the battering a mara gives it, muscle & connective tissue will have lots of little tears etc. I've only done 2 back to back twice (5 weeks between the 2 races both times), & found the 2nd OK but the body was definitely feeling effects of the 1st.

My advice would be just to go out, forget anything about beating your previous time, & just enjoy it. If you're serious about getting your time down there's plenty time for that later. Initially it'd be good to know your age, amount of mpw you have been doing & running history to date & also an idea of how you've structured your weekly training regime. We can take things from there. 

Quite happy for you to PM me if you want a proper chat mate, more than happy to help. In the meantime, I can't recommend this book highly enough, it's the marathon bible & was recommended to me by some seriously shit hot runners a few years ago. Certainly was responsible for me getting under 3 hours for sure. If you read & understand the principles of training for a mara your times will tumble. 

OP I fully recommend you take up Nelly's offer.

AlphonseCapone
46 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

22 marathons? That is crazy, well played man.

I'm doing my first one at 54 in Vancouver in May. Done a few halfs and 10k's but doing longer training runs now and, weather apart enjoying it. I don't really understand the "tapering" side to training but will hopefully get me head round to it by April. Did 15 miles the other week and was dead on me arse. If I can get round under 5 hours I'll be happy

Did the Edinburgh Marathon in 1984 and my legs are still sore :)

Really did not prepare anywhere near enough, but still managed a sub 4 hour.

Find a good physio and have regular  massages. A tip from a physio I  visited recently due to knee ligament issues - you need good knees to run and that means good hips- make sure you've got a regular regime of stretching that strengthens the hip areas.

I did a couple of 1/2s last year as a life goal when i retired and I appreciate how tough it is to do 26 miles so much respect to anyone who does it. 

One big mistake i made , having done the training and completed my first one I decided to ease off on the running and went swimming to keep my cardiio going.  I could swim all day and at a fair pace but at a price of wrecking my colateral ligaments in both knees. It has taken a year to repair itself.  If anyone tells you  to go swimming - don't do it but if you do, don't do the breast stroke. 

Over 3 weeks to recover from a marathon is ample...

A couple of points though..

Don't try to break any PB's etc.. Just enjoy the next run for what it is.. the next step on your running journey..

Go for 3/4 runs a week before your next one but don't kill yourself.. 3 x a week gentle 4/5 milers, just to keep the body interested and capable..

If you want to start smashing PB's look to the future.. Enter a run that's a few months in the future.. ie Edinburgh in May or in your neck of the woods Da Nang in August... Probably give you a better idea of your PB capabilities in that environment...

Anyway, best of luck to you mate.. You've started down the endurance path.. keep at it.. :)

23 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Thanks for the reply..

My next marathon is around the old capital, a place called Ayutthaya.. it's about 100km north of Bangkok.. the weather is starting to get a bit colder (not Scotland) but it gets colder in winter.. I'm hoping that it might be down to about 24/25 degrees at start time.

I'm 36 years old.. started training for the marathon in late August.. I was doing 12km Tuesday and 12km Wednesday then a longer run on a Sunday morning which started at about 24km then built up until a few weeks before the marathon I ran 38.5km two weeks running. The week before the marathon I reduced  it back to 24km.

My main problem now is the front of my right knee is starting to give me some bother. I tried to get round that by taking a codine tablet before the last race which I don't think made much difference and in fact may have directly contributed to my energy disappearing faster than normal.

My legs finally seemed to have forgiven me yesterday and I ran a reasonable paced 6.5km and then today I went out to try again but had to call it a day at 10km because of my knee pain.. My plan is no running for a week then a short run at the start of the marathon week to see where things stand..

Great advice in your post, thanks for taking the time.. And congratulations on doing 22 marathons.. Your time at sub 3 hours is phenomenal.. seriously if i can hit around 3 hours 50 mins I'd be a happy, happy man..

17 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Find a good physio and have regular  massages. A tip from a physio I  visited recently due to knee ligament issues - you need good knees to run and that means good hips- make sure you've got a regular regime of stretching that strengthens the hip areas.

I did a couple of 1/2s last year as a life goal when i retired and I appreciate how tough it is to do 26 miles so much respect to anyone who does it. 

One big mistake i made , having done the training and completed my first one I decided to ease off on the running and went swimming to keep my cardiio going.  I could swim all day and at a fair pace but at a price of wrecking my colateral ligaments in both knees. It has taken a year to repair itself.  If anyone tells you  to go swimming - don't do it but if you do, don't do the breast stroke. 

Thanks for the info.. 

Not sure if I have the good knees.. I have a pain at the top of my right knee cap.. not sure what it is.. got some anti inflammatory gel to rub on it in the hope it calms down..

Interesting about the hips.. for sure I will try and do something in that area to hopefully improve my fitness.

As someone who's signed up twice for marathons then not done them due to injury, I'd recommend getting someone to take a look at your knee nip it in the bud now.

12 hours ago, RussAsia said:

Thanks for the info.. 

Not sure if I have the good knees.. I have a pain at the top of my right knee cap.. not sure what it is.. got some anti inflammatory gel to rub on it in the hope it calms down..

Interesting about the hips.. for sure I will try and do something in that area to hopefully improve my fitness.

Seriously - go and see a physio.  I can't recommend this enough.  Get in the gymn on a cross trainer , put the settings up to max for both and just go for it. This isn't a cardio work out .  Get on the treadmill and set the pace to the highest you can walk at , set the "uphill" setting to  max and walk like hell.  This is from my physio and I'm doing this 5 days a  week to rebuild my leg muscles to support the knees in advance of starting running again.  You will feel it in the thighs, hamstrings and glutes (sp?). 

My right knee "klunks" but it's OK, but a quick tip is , stand on your right leg, put your arms out aeroplane style. Can you stand still ? Do you wobble a bit ?  

From a guy who took 6 months out and thought i'd go running again, whatever you do between marathons, if your knee doesn't support running or it's niggly or you feel like a rest, make sure you maintain  the muscle build . That was a harsh lesson i learned from my physio.  

Thanks for the advice.. 

My problem is that physios tend to be quite expensive here in Bangkok and I'm definitely not on any expat package financially.. and I've not stepped foot in a gym in about 20 years.. 

I tried the stand on the leg, arms out experiment.. that was no problem, i can stand completely still on only my right leg.. I am currently walking at least one medium paced, 1 hour walk per day and my knee has no problems.. it's only when I start running that it seems to get painful..

Thanks for the advice.. keep it coming.. I take it all in and hope to do whatever I can from your suggestions..

• 2 weeks later...

This morning finished my second marathon.. I corrected my errors from the previous marathon and I'm happy to say that it went very well.

Today I ran the marathon in a time of just under 3 hours 37 minutes.

I think that could be it for me an running that long a distance. I fancy running some half marathons as I still feel good when I get to that distance and it's not the same slog to the finish.

Superb effort RussAsia, smashed your target. I wish I had your dedication. I'm ok at running but find it boring and haven't ran at all for three months.

1 hour ago, Flimsy said:

Superb effort RussAsia, smashed your target. I wish I had your dedication. I'm ok at running but find it boring and haven't ran at all for three months.

Thanks.. 

I'm a bit the same with the boredom.. I don't run with music or anything.. It's more of a challenge against myself.. difficult to describe I guess..

As for not running.. I love to eat.. so either I get fat or get out and pound out a few kms.. apparently I can't give up the eating.. haha

4 hours ago, RussAsia said:

This morning finished my second marathon.. I corrected my errors from the previous marathon and I'm happy to say that it went very well.

I think that could be it for me an running that long a distance. I fancy running some half marathons as I still feel good when I get to that distance and it's not the same slog to the finish.

Well done bud, great effort.  I've just got back in the gymn to start half marathon training myself. 

Captain Sausage

Just getting back to the gym after 9 months out with a baby. 

Building up some strength alongside some light 5kms Just now. In the new year, I’ll get up to 10km and hopefully ready for some half marathons in summer!

Ran my first Marathon back in July, chose the fort William marathon to break my virginity!!!! A very tough marathon to start with....Was brutal, crossed the line in 5hrs 14 mins. I ran with a mate who was struggling with his knee around 13/14 miles in, I decided to not leave him behind so it was very stop start...in the end it was all about getting round the 26.2 miles which we did...fantastic feeling crossing that line and it really is a huge achievement. 2018 will be a busy year training. Stirling marathon in April, fort William again in July to smash that time and Loch Ness in October. 

13 hours ago, RussAsia said:

Awesome work mate!  I just got back from Lanzarote where I did the half - just a tad warm but great to be back running after a frustrating few months with hamstring issues.

11 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Well done bud, great effort.  I've just got back in the gymn to start half marathon training myself. 

You're clearly a faster runner than myself..

However what time are you looking at for doing a half marathon?

I have signed up for a half marathon at the end of January.. Yesterday I ran the first half in 1 hour 42 minutes.. Hoping to shave at least a few minutes off that when I'm only running that distance and don't need worry about another 21km..

20 hours ago, RussAsia said:

You're clearly a faster runner than myself..

However what time are you looking at for doing a half marathon?

I have signed up for a half marathon at the end of January.. Yesterday I ran the first half in 1 hour 42 minutes.. Hoping to shave at least a few minutes off that when I'm only running that distance and don't need worry about another 21km..

Not as fast as you, that's for sure. 

I'll be 58 in January , I'll settle for anything under 2 hours mate. I was close to getting it last year in Birmingham but there's a notorious hill close to the finish and I decided to walk it after seeing a guy (who was much fitter than me - and most people are) collapse and taken away in an ambulance.  

15 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Not as fast as you, that's for sure. 

I'll be 58 in January , I'll settle for anything under 2 hours mate. I was close to getting it last year in Birmingham but there's a notorious hill close to the finish and I decided to walk it after seeing a guy (who was much fitter than me - and most people are) collapse and taken away in an ambulance.  

Ah sorry.. I had you confused with Nelly Terraces who was completing the sub 3 hour marathons..

Good luck for the sub 2 hour half.. I'm sure you will get it..

• 5 months later...
On 12/10/2017 at 21:39, Eddie said:

Ran my first Marathon back in July, chose the fort William marathon to break my virginity!!!! A very tough marathon to start with....Was brutal, crossed the line in 5hrs 14 mins. I ran with a mate who was struggling with his knee around 13/14 miles in, I decided to not leave him behind so it was very stop start...in the end it was all about getting round the 26.2 miles which we did...fantastic feeling crossing that line and it really is a huge achievement. 2018 will be a busy year training. Stirling marathon in April, fort William again in July to smash that time and Loch Ness in October. 

How did you get on with the Stirling Marathon

Ran the Loch Ness one in 2015 and struggled across the line to a 5:15 finish, was a little more prepared for the Stirling one last year and it was an easier route and did it in 4:48.

Running the Edinburgh one a week on Sunday and am a lot more prepared with a couple of 20 mile runs under my belt, ran 13.1 miles in 1:52 last weekend so hoping to smash my PB and not run out of steam in the last 6/7 miles like previous years.