How big a mess is it?

RS86

So without beating around the bush the team is currently shite, despite having some really good players on the books. But how much of a mess are we in really? Off the park we are in great shape, new stand is shaping up and will provide a further revenue source once the internal work is complete. Money is obviously tight while this work is done but in the near future this will balance back out.

If this season went the way of last and we ended around mid table with some dire results between now and next summer how much does it really matter in the long term? Is it worth spitting the dummy over a crap season on the pitch? I'll be the first to say I am not really bothered. No it is not great to watch and absolutely things need to change, but they will. If it means waiting til next season then that's fine by me, I'll support the club regardless.

How long is too long for things to turn around on the pitch in your opinion?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too much, just need 2/3 midfielders of quality.  It has been overlooked for years and its arguably the most important area of a team. 

The new stand will/may start to make money from 2020ish, so it is wrong to say we are simply writing this season (& last) off. 

My worry is how much the fans will continue to back the club in numbers if we are awful until then. 

Dr Ian Malcolm

We're seventh, two points off the top six having played one actual home game all season. Some common sense additions and a bit of confidence returning should see things improve.

Just as the initial upturn in results didn't mean we were great, we're not now plummeting towards a relegation battle with no hope of ever winning again. Dramatic overreactions either way is what happens on here though.

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

To say anything other than we are in deep shit is to bury one's head in the sand.

Nonsense

We have a good back line bar a left back, a below SPFL average midfield and a above average strike force.  8 out of the 12 teams in the league would swap their squad for ours right now.  We have gone through turmoil, we have played one game at home and are only 2 points off the top 6.  Patience is required but we are not far away from a good side. 

Another thread merely repeating a topic discussed on several other threads, predictable tiresome utterances from the usual suspects.

Just now, Jambo92 said:

Nonsense

We have a good back line bar a left back, a below SPFL average midfield and a above average strike force.  8 out of the 12 teams in the league would swap their squad for ours right now.  We have gone through turmoil, we have played one game at home and are only 2 points off the top 6.  Patience is required but we are not far away from a good side. 

You know it is a team game right?  That is a group of people pulling together to achieve the same goal?

There is no team spirit - none. No understanding - none. No 2 players compliment an other - no-one.

It is a group of players with limited ability and a losing mentality managed by a guy that does not want to manage them.

Fxxx the SPFL
9 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Another thread merely repeating a topic discussed on several other threads, predictable tiresome utterances from the usual suspects.

correct

10 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Usual suspects? Inferring what exactly

August Landmesser

In the recent Olden Days (late 80s, most of the Pieman era, and post-2007) when we had shite seasons on the pitch, we were also in a shambles off the pitch - debt, boardroom turmoil, no forward planning (apart from 'we will win the champions league!!') and next to no investment in ground, facilities or youth teams. AB said herself, the club was hollowed out when she arrived - barely hanging on by our fingernails.

Now, we're having a ropey season (so far) on the pitch - but the off-pitch stuff is pretty rock solid. We're stable, we have a sane chairperson, we have a great stadium (improving daily) which will earn us money, and we have brilliant community engagement, youth facilities and player development plans. We also have the FoH. That off-pitch stability is here to stay, whilst on the pitch we can (and will) only get better (well, technically we could get relegated, but I really doubt that will happen...)

So, I would say it's not that big a mess - we may not have much to cheer about this season on the field (bar the odd result, and hopefully at least three Derby wins), but we've set up a great foundation for the future.

The people losing their minds on here are over-reacting massively, and are either seeking attention or have some weird agenda against club legend CL and/or club saviour AB.

8 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

You know it is a team game right?  That is a group of people pulling together to achieve the same goal?

There is no team spirit - none. No understanding - none. No 2 players compliment an other - no-one.

It is a group of players with limited ability and a losing mentality managed by a guy that does not want to manage them.

I don't usually agree with this poster, but on this occasion I do.

Voice of reason

We are not in a big mess at all. We will finish top 6 this season and our stand will be completed. It’s really on target to be a fairly standard season in terms of league finish. Hearts rarely finish top 3 and yet it seems to be expected by some every season. We have a decent team and some good youngsters coming through. No need to panic at all. The club is in a great position to kick- on over the next few years.

We all keep saying “we just need midfielders”...”we just need a left back”...

That may be true but our level of judgement on recruitment has been woeful as much as decent.

Very much a mixed bag.

Money dictates who we can go for but at the moment I’m a bit apprehensive ahead of our next move in the market.

The management and staff have it all to prove moving forward.

6 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

In the recent Olden Days (late 80s, most of the Pieman era, and post-2007) when we had shite seasons on the pitch, we were also in a shambles off the pitch - debt, boardroom turmoil, no forward planning (apart from 'we will win the champions league!!') and next to no investment in ground, facilities or youth teams. AB said herself, the club was hollowed out when she arrived - barely hanging on by our fingernails.

Now, we're having a ropey season (so far) on the pitch - but the off-pitch stuff is pretty rock solid. We're stable, we have a sane chairperson, we have a great stadium (improving daily) which will earn us money, and we have brilliant community engagement, youth facilities and player development plans. We also have the FoH. That off-pitch stability is here to stay, whilst on the pitch we can (and will) only get better (well, technically we could get relegated, but I really doubt that will happen...)

So, I would say it's not that big a mess - we may not have much to cheer about this season on the field (bar the odd result, and hopefully at least three Derby wins), but we've set up a great foundation for the future.

The people losing their minds on here are over-reacting massively, and are either seeking attention or have some weird agenda against club legend CL and/or club saviour AB.

Good post. 

11 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

As depressing as this sounds it's hard to disagree with that assessment.  Adding in players with more ability is one factor but the missing key ingredients are team spirit and confidence.  The desire to play as a team and go out and batter everyone for yourself and your teammates.

There is no sign of this whatsoever from anyone. 

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

We all keep saying “we just need midfielders”...”we just need a left back”...

That may be true but our level of judgement on recruitment has been woeful as much as decent.

Very much a mixed bag.

Money dictates who we can go for but at the moment I’m a bit apprehensive ahead of our next move in the market.

The management and staff have it all to prove moving forward.

Thing as as well, this is very much dependent on those midfielders, new left back etc hitting the ground running and not taking time to bed in - partly why I am not going to panic too much if we finish the season in the same way we have started it. As long as there is signs of clear progress on the park.

21 minutes ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

We're seventh, two points off the top six having played one actual home game all season. Some common sense additions and a bit of confidence returning should see things improve.

Just as the initial upturn in results didn't mean we were great, we're not now plummeting towards a relegation battle with no hope of ever winning again. Dramatic overreactions either way is what happens on here though.

Stiffen that midfield and see a dramatic uplift in results imo.

Got to say am fed up with this , it’s not that we’re not very good , that can happen , it’s the amount of Money we are wasting on players that either do not understand what our club is all about , that’s hard work and effort , or they don’t want to be here , either way , that’s the issue, not that we’re not very god , IMO . 

14 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Yeah I know it is, I used to play myself and know that confidence breeds results.  If I could look up and see a player who wants the ball, a player who knows how to create space for himself then naturally I felt more comfortable and played with confidence.  I'm not saying dropping Ronaldo into this team is going to fix results but if we manage to bring in 2/3 players who have this ability in the midfield are then we will the makings of a good team.  The rest are terrified to play, is that down to ability or because the pressure of the crowd or a combination I don't know but let's all just be negative, that will help build morale!

21 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

And the biggest group of people needed to pull together are the fans,

5 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Yeah I know it is, I used to play myself and know that confidence breeds results.  If I could look up and see a player who wants the ball, a player who knows how to create space for himself then naturally I felt more comfortable and played with confidence.  I'm not saying dropping Ronaldo into this team is going to fix results but if we manage to bring in 2/3 players who have this ability in the midfield are then we will the makings of a good team.  The rest are terrified to play, is that down to ability or because the pressure of the crowd or a combination I don't know but let's all just be negative, that will help build morale!

I went to the game on Sunday stone cold sober (trust me never again!) and I really focused on the game and had a player cam thing going on.  The lack of understanding was so apparent as we struggled to connect any passes.  Players just don’t read each other.  Even Isma and Lafferty who are two good players are entirely individual.  Have they ever assisted each other all season?  All their goals are solo efforts it seems.  Our midfield win and create next to nothing and the defence just punt it up instantly as they have not got the confidence to build on the ball.

38 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

To say anything other than we are in deep shit is to bury one's head in the sand.

Give yourself a break man. Deep shit? Mental.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I went to the game on Sunday stone cold sober (trust me never again!) and I really focused on the game and had a player cam thing going on.  The lack of understanding was so apparent as we struggled to connect any passes.  Players just don’t read each other.  Even Isma and Lafferty who are two good players are entirely individual.  Have they ever assisted each other all season?  All their goals are solo efforts it seems.  Our midfield win and create next to nothing and the defence just punt it up instantly as they have not got the confidence to build on the ball.

Lack of ability, lack of understanding or lack of confidence you reckon? They are all professionals who are capable footballers but you are right there is a definite lack cohesion in our play lately

8 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

yes, and they've done more than any other set of supporters have, the problem is at the other end of the team, Levein does not want to be there and it shows, if it shows to me imagine what the players witness

August Landmesser
8 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

5 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Lack of ability, lack of understanding or lack of confidence you reckon? They are all professionals who are capable footballers but you are right there is a definite lack cohesion in our play lately

It's uncanny - it's almost as if we've been plagued by injuries, forcing CL to put out a different line-up every week with players out of position and covering unfamiliar roles. No wonder they have no fluidity, cohesion or understanding yet. Training ground drills can only teach so much of that stuff, it will only really come with a settled team (which I would say is a minimum 8 players in their correct positions week after week).

2 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

It's uncanny - it's almost as if we've been plagued by injuries, forcing CL to put out a different line-up every week with players out of position and covering unfamiliar roles. No wonder they have no fluidity, cohesion or understanding yet. Training ground drills can only teach so much of that stuff, it will only really come with a settled team (which I would say is a minimum 8 players in their correct positions week after week).

While I agree, it has carried over from last season too. Again that could be as much down to not having a clue what is expected of them from Cathro though. I reckon personally confidence is a big factor at the moment right through the team but I could be way off the mark.

53 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Not too much, just need 2/3 midfielders of quality.  It has been overlooked for years and its arguably the most important area of a team. 

It's frustrating because for years we've said the same about strikers. We now have 2 great strikers up front and no-one good enough to actually play the ball into them :(

11 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

To me, injuries are unfortunate but never an excuse as it is a big poart of sport and certainly not exclusive to us.  Our issues have nothing to do with injuries - it is something much deeper.

55 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Start another one with something you want to discuss then.

August Landmesser
18 minutes ago, RS86 said:

While I agree, it has carried over from last season too. Again that could be as much down to not having a clue what is expected of them from Cathro though. I reckon personally confidence is a big factor at the moment right through the team but I could be way off the mark.

I definitely agree about the confidence - we look so tentative these days, until we score, and then we perk up a bit. Funny though, cos in some of our away games we've looked a bit braver - the win up in Dingwall was great, really gritty and tough.

I think a lot of players' heads are still a bit scrambled after 9 months of trying to decipher whatever Cathro was saying to them!

August Landmesser
10 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

To me, injuries are unfortunate but never an excuse as it is a big poart of sport and certainly not exclusive to us.  Our issues have nothing to do with injuries - it is something much deeper.

So, the only difference between a team that suffered no injuries throughout a season, and played the same line-up every game (because I include fatigue as an injury here, so this hypothetical team does not get fatigued), and a team that has most of it's first choice players crocked at one time or another forcing weekly changes, rotations and uncertainty is 'something much deeper'.

I'm sorry, but that's pish I'm afraid.

How big a mess is it?...a difficult question. If we consider the most recent 25 years (roughly a generation) then we are 6 points off our average position of 5th. I have of course excluded the 12/13 to 14/15 seasons when you could argue that we really were in a mess!!!

Infrastructure = best we have had in my lifetime.

Financial = most secure we have been in my lifetime.

On Field = 6 points off our average position.

Yes, the football is pants at the moment but we are not light years away from anyone, we are not putting our heads in the sand and we are not facing years in the wilderness.

So how big a mess is it?.....6 points, or in other words not that big a mess at all.

August Landmesser
Just now, JamboGraham said:

How big a mess is it?...a difficult question. If we consider the most recent 25 years (roughly a generation) then we are 6 points off our average position of 5th. I have of course excluded the 12/13 to 14/15 seasons when you could argue that we really were in a mess!!!

Yes, the football is pants at the moment but we are not light years away from anyone, we are not putting our heads in the sand and we are not facing years in the wilderness.

So how big a mess is it?.....6 points, or in other words not that big a mess at all.

This.

11 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I definitely agree about the confidence - we look so tentative these days, until we score, and then we perk up a bit. Funny though, cos in some of our away games we've looked a bit braver - the win up in Dingwall was great, really gritty and tough.

I think a lot of players' heads are still a bit scrambled after 9 months of trying to decipher whatever Cathro was saying to them!

New players coming in might remedy that but a worry is if they are taking time to settle and make an impact fans may start to get on their back a bit. Time will tell but something has to happen in January and can't see much changing before then

For me, the big problem isn't money but a manager who doesn't scout properly. We have wasted so much of the little money we have at the moment on some poor players, the likes of Sammon and Martin shouldn't be anywhere hear Tynie never mind on 3 year contracts. Motherwell sign the likes of Moult, we sign Sammon! I questioned someone on another site a few weeks back and he said that we can't afford to spend millions of pounds on players....yes, we know that, but when I asked if the likes of St Johnstone, Motherwell, Hibs and others spent that sort of cash? He couldn't answer. We do not scout for players in the way we used to, we sign players on recommendations and watching videos of them. Since Eckersley and McHattie left we've had no decent left-back, Oshaniwa was a waste of money, Rherras, Sowah and Grzelak are/were no better. We have been crying out for an attacking midfielder to link up with strikers since Robbie's days and we don't get them. We don't have loads of money like other clubs but it hasn't stopped the likes of Hibs signing McGinn from St Mirren and Scott Allen before him. Even Partick Thistle has Chris Erskine linking midfield to front. We should've signed Steve Mallan from St Mirren when we had the chance...left-footed (a rarity at Hearts), scores and makes goals for his team-mates and not to shabby with free-kicks and corners. He's dropped out the picture down south for the moment so maybe worth getting him in on loan 'til the end of the season come transfer window. Couldn't do much worse than what we have right now. We have signed too many defenders that are too similar, Ozturk, Augustyn, Rossi and others, all half decent  but we lose them and bring in similar, Novak and Struna and the big Greek from last season (not Tzulis, the other one). We sign a big bustling forward from Tranmere who gets a few minutes each game if he's lucky, the likes of Bauben, Walker, Djoum and a few more need shipped out. Smith-Brown has been injured and likely won't make much impact when fit and as for Randall...he'll never make the Liverpool first team on a regular basis. We need a quality scouting system, if we don't, there'll be more duds coming in next season. 

Bazzas right boot

A left back and 2/3 midfielders and we'd be a different team.

Cathro in pursuit of a 352 left us horribly unbalanced.

Souttar

Berra

Isma

Lafferty

Would walk into any team bar Celtic

Joe

Walker

Djoum

Smith

Cowie

Are decent spl players, walker and Djoum would also get in the first 11 of most teams

Unfortunately, no left back, no width , little pace and imo players like  Novak, Stockton, grizlak, Randall are not good enough.

Ross, prince, skinny are decent squad players.

We lack quality in midfield and a lb.

For example, take Christie, McLean out of Aberdeen and the are suddenly very average. Only takes a few players In Scotland to make a massive difference, we are missing them in midfield.

1 hour ago, Jambo92 said:

There is nothing arguable about that statement mate.  A good midfield protects the defense and supports the attack.  Ours seems to do neither.  We need a new midfield that can bed in quickly and make a difference.

Unfortunately that kind of thing take one of two things.  Money or luck in the transfer market.  Money we do not have (yet, and I agree with the OP this will come over time).  Luck?  Well there are always diamond waiting to be uncovered but 2/3 of them.  Nah, we couldn't be that lucky.

That means this year, and quite possibly next year, are are what I call keeping our head above water years' ie don't be so shite as to get relegated.  2 years from now, stand fully paid and a better idea of the income streams it generates.  Well who knows.  We will have the money and maybe we will get some luck as well.

8 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Look forward to the replies for this....dont hold your breath   :lol:

1 hour ago, Jambo92 said:

Nonsense

Facts would suggest otherwise I’m afraid. Our good back line as you put it constantly concede goals from set pieces and crosses into the box. Pretty basic stuff to stop for a good well organised defence. 

Couple that with the fact we are the third lowest scoring team in the league which also suggests we are not great at scoring either. 

I agree a lot of that comes from a shambolic midfield but not all the blame can be placed on that. 

It is certainly a mess - IMO the results of the next 4 very winnable games at home will tell just how big a mess it is.

12 points will see as back into the top 6 and I think we can start to aim for a 4th place finish - although under our present Manager/squad I fear that will be beyond us.

If we only get 5-6 points out of these games we will be stuck in the bottom 6, and will be looking down with some trepidation.

pattythejambo
1 hour ago, sandylejambo said:

yes, and they've done more than any other set of supporters have, the problem is at the other end of the team, Levein does not want to be there and it shows, if it shows to me imagine what the players witness

Totally agreee Levein is in the job under protest, his style of play is from years gone by and our better player like Soutter , Berra are being asked to launch balls Into an area in hope we can get something off the second ball, for me it is hard to watch.

Me am my two sons 12yrs and 10yrs are st holders (and attend plenty away matches) my elder son is fast losing interest, not so much that we don't win but that the general entertainment on the pitch and atmosphere in ground is now all but non-existent. He now chooses not to come some weeks and I fear he is losing his previously unstinting passion. As a Dad it really saddens me that I could end up coming along on my own as any Dad will know the joy of going to the game with your kids are some of the best times. As Wallace Mercer even in the immediate and darkest aftermath of that day at Dens said to the distraught supporters"(no matter the outcome) it's about entertainment". Something we have long lost sight off and yet is possibly the best business plan you could have.

1 hour ago, sairyinthat said:

Stiffen that midfield and see a dramatic uplift in results imo.

1 hour ago, sairyinthat said:

Excellent posts! 

pattythejambo
3 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

Me am my two sons 12yrs and 10yrs are st holders (and attend plenty away matches) my elder son is fast losing interest, not so much that we don't win but that the general entertainment on the pitch and atmosphere in ground is now all but non-existent. He now chooses not to come some weeks and I fear he is losing his previously unstinting passion. As a Dad it really saddens me that I could end up coming along on my own as any Dad will know the joy of going to the game with your kids are some of the best times. As Wallace Mercer even in the immediate and darkest aftermath of that day at Dens said to the distraught supporters"(no matter the outcome) it's about entertainment". Something we have long lost sight off and yet is possibly the best business plan you could have.

I feel your pain my grandson is of the same opinion, he has lost interest due to the style of football we play, kids now are taught to play from the back through midfield trying to link with the forwards but get to first team then that all goes out the window.

From what I see we are always second to the ball in midfield, regardless of opposition. Partick have had a poor first part of the season yet they looked far more organised than we did. The Killie game at Murrayfield was exactly the same. There is some good potential out there at other clubs but we don't seem interested in trying to sign them. Opposition midfields' tend to control the game by and far against us and that's just wrong, particularly at "home" Said about six months ago that one player to watch is Jordan Jones at Killie, looked very decent against us and that's the type we should be looking at. Erskine almost controls Partick's midfield on his own. Hibs have McGinn and pace down the right wing with Boyle, none of them cost loads. Be interesting to see how Ross County get on with our lack-lusture weak midfield on Saturday, especially as Coyle has them playing pretty decent. 

43 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

This is sanity! 

We have three major problems:

1) Players whose form declined radically under Cathro who for various reasons haven't recovered. Walker is one -- I had hope he'd rally but that's looking like it's in vain. Djoum is another -- he's been injured so hard to say. I still have hope his weakness at the Partick game was rust.

2) Major weaknesses in the midfield -- I think if our squad was 100% healthy and we could play a 3-4-3 and Walker wasn't being a tit, our starting XI would be pretty good, with Smith-Brown on the left and Smith on the right. But the midfield would still the weak point with Djoum and Cowie being okay but not great together and Milinkovic or Walker needing to be a bit better.

3) Lack of depth after Cathro gutted a good but not great team -- Robbie's last side weren't world beaters by any means, but Cathro emptied too many good players in an attempt to get to his vision. If that had worked it might have been justifiable but as it crashed and burned it's hurt doubly so because we lost quality SPFL-grade players who would fill in around the edges now.

I think if we put our biggest effort into finding a true every-game-starter CM to go with Djoum (or to replace Djoum for that matter), then get the best journeymen LB and winger available, and pick up a passable CH as cover, 4th or possibly even 3rd is possible. I really do believe a central midfielder with true leadership and playmaking qualities would almost overnight improve the play of 2/3 of the team, but that has to be a player of higher standard than Cowie and with better leadership qualities than Djoum.

Archived