Repetitive Arse Covering by Levein

Tasavallan

6 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

I have seen Callaghan for Raith Rovers several times for a over a few seasons, he normally was used deep and he would sit in front of the defence, breaking up attacks, starting counter -attacks with good passes or charging forward himself with the ball and he was very positive and effective in this role. Hearts have not used him in this role and he looks lost, and as a result out of his depth, lacking confidence. Did no one watch him or is it the coaches that are out of their depth, I think he could be a good player for us.

Can you tell me the role Levein has him playing because it's a bit difficult to fathom in most games?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

I have seen Callaghan for Raith Rovers several times for a over a few seasons, he normally was used deep and he would sit in front of the defence, breaking up attacks, starting counter -attacks with good passes or charging forward himself with the ball and he was very positive and effective in this role. Hearts have not used him in this role and he looks lost, and as a result out of his depth, lacking confidence. Did no one watch him or is it the coaches that are out of their depth, I think he could be a good player for us.

Callaghan is drowning in a shit midfield.I agree put better players around him and see what he is all about.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, samcdonald22 said:

I just wonder what would make doubters happy this season, top six, top four, a scottish cup win, where is your "Good season" line?

At the very least, top half. Anything less than that is pitiful.

54 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You seem very sure that Craig has been recruiting all the players without the Head Coach having any say so, and despite what the club say. 

Ah well, must be true if the club said it.

In all seriousness, I would imagine the player signings have all been a shared responsibility with Levein having the final sign off. Happy to be corrected on this.

Wonder who we're going to sign on a 3.5 year deal to keep Martin company on the bench.

Nelly Terraces

Not interested in reading more trite shite from players or management.

We've clearly recruited an utterly gash squad of total duds & play them in an eye bleeding style of pointless go nowhere at snails pace lateral passing followed by a hoof up the pitch which is an ineffective as it is boring to watch.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Ah well, must be true if the club said it.

In all seriousness, I would imagine the player signings have all been a shared responsibility with Levein having the final sign off. Happy to be corrected on this.

Therein lies the problem. People imagine whatever suits their chosen stance. What we do know is the squad is poor and imbalanced. We have been told that there has been a flawed recruitment strategy and some then blame whoever they imagine rather than accepting there has been an acknowledged need for change. No-one probably disagrees with Levein's idea of where we are needing to recruit so personally I await January with interest! If moneys are available and we waste it then Budge needs to take tough decisions. If Levein manages to turn things around some on here will have to start kicking a nearby dog or cat (just not my wee dug!) rather than spending hours on here blaming Levein for all failings.

I would have loved him to have mentioned a midfield ball winner in there also as a necessity.

a position we are badly lacking in.

42 minutes ago, deejtee said:

Therein lies the problem. People imagine whatever suits their chosen stance. What we do know is the squad is poor and imbalanced. We have been told that there has been a flawed recruitment strategy and some then blame whoever they imagine rather than accepting there has been an acknowledged need for change. No-one probably disagrees with Levein's idea of where we are needing to recruit so personally I await January with interest! If moneys are available and we waste it then Budge needs to take tough decisions. If Levein manages to turn things around some on here will have to start kicking a nearby dog or cat (just not my wee dug!) rather than spending hours on here blaming Levein for all failings.

To quote your highlighted section - we can assume this is fact if that's what we have been told by the club.My question -who is in charge of strategy for the football side? My guess the Director of football. I can speak for myself and I would imagine for most others (there are a few that seem to have a  bit of a grudge, but they are in the minority), that I have nothing against CL personally, and desperatelely (like us all ) want him to succeed. The next question is should the man who has overseen this situation, be put in charge of putting it right. That is what those who want CL replaced are arguing. In business  if you were in charge of a company producing the kind of product we currently are (on the pitch) you would be on your last written warning at least. I am not sure if the funds are available without shifting a lot of players currently still in contract, and that will cost. Will a couple of average signings be enough to turn our season around? If not is it better to  bite the bullet and start afresh? I am not against CL  but he has had a decent amount of time,and the club is consistently going backwards.

AlphonseCapone
6 hours ago, kirkierobroy said:

PEDANTRY ALERT - Those were actually the words of the much mightier Bee Gees, covered by the Oirish bhoys - PEDANTRY ALERT

As you were, folks.

I've always wondered what the addition of the "o" in front of Irish is all about?

6 hours ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

I doubt we could afford to do that. 

£170k it cost up June last year in the accounts against £385 for CP

I think people are assuming we are paying out huge sums to get rid of the crap.

37 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

£170k it cost up June last year in the accounts against £385 for CP

I think people are assuming we are paying out huge sums to get rid of the crap.

It’s never been expensive to move players on in general. The odd one or two. They are usually happy to take a nominal amount knowing they will get  some form of a signing-on fee built into next contract. Managers are a different kettle of fish. 

Think about, if Sammon is earning £4K per week with us and Thistle offer him a deal this summer at £2.5k per week. With a year to go on his contract with us his gross income would be down by circa £80k. Nett pay though it’s just £40k or thereabouts. Easy for Hearts Sammon and Thistle to come to an arrangement whereby he doesn’t lose out much financially. Upside for Sammon is that he is back playing regular football. It’s Scottish football we are talking about. There’s not much money about so no idea where people get the idea it costs a fortune to move players on. There’s nearly always another club willing to take them on. 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

You could argue it was extremely seamless now that the DOF is the manager. 

Lol

portobellojambo1
4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

You seem very sure that Craig has been recruiting all the players without the Head Coach having any say so, and despite what the club say. 

Not at all Dave, in fact I was very specific.

However, do I think he has played a part in who could and couldn't come to Tynecastle, in most cases I would hope so, that is why we were employing him in the role of DoF.

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s never been expensive to move players on in general. The odd one or two. They are usually happy to take a nominal amount knowing they will get  some form of a signing-on fee built into next contract. Managers are a different kettle of fish. 

Think about, if Sammon is earning £4K per week with us and Thistle offer him a deal this summer at £2.5k per week. With a year to go on his contract with us his gross income would be down by circa £80k. Nett pay though it’s just £40k or thereabouts. Easy for Hearts Sammon and Thistle to come to an arrangement whereby he doesn’t lose out much financially. Upside for Sammon is that he is back playing regular football. It’s Scottish football we are talking about. There’s not much money about so no idea where people get the idea it costs a fortune to move players on. There’s nearly always another club willing to take them on. 

I realise this is one year out of date however I doubt the figures have risen dramatically in that time. So I would find it extremely unlikely that Sammon will be offered anything like the amount you suggest by Partick.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14906287.Revealed__Celtic_top_list_of_Scottish_club_salaries__paying_players_more_than_double_Rangers/

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 hours ago, tian447 said:

Wonder who we're going to sign on a 3.5 year deal to keep Martin company on the bench.

Maybe extend Conor Sammons contract ;)

30 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I realise this is one year out of date however I doubt the figures have risen dramatically in that time. So I would find it extremely unlikely that Sammon will be offered anything like the amount you suggest by Partick.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14906287.Revealed__Celtic_top_list_of_Scottish_club_salaries__paying_players_more_than_double_Rangers/

Appreciate  that. i was just trying to explain how things work. He won’t sign for them in any case. 

The figures in the article are averages remember. Even Thistle will have one or two on £2k per week 

6 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Not interested in reading more trite shite from players or management.

We've clearly recruited an utterly gash squad of total duds & play them in an eye bleeding style of pointless go nowhere at snails pace lateral passing followed by a hoof up the pitch which is an ineffective as it is boring to watch.

Exactly Nelly. People drooling over the transfer window forget that Levein was responsible for handing 3 year contracts to Oshaniwa, Martin and Sammon. He simply does not rate or understand the need for wide players with pace or attack minded midfielders.  Never mind, I'm sure John Colquhoun and John Murray will unearth some more diamonds in the window

9 hours ago, the_jailer said:

Isma, lafferty,Smith are our better players. 

You honestly think Cathro had a clue about Grizliek,Sowah,Martin,Stockton, Bikey. 

Cathro said what types of players he wanted and for what positions. Levein and the rest of the “football dept” identified them. Cathro said whi he’d take. Levein signed them. It’s not hard FFS!

Other than the news that Walker is back in the starting line up, I’m pretty confident and happy with what he’s said there.

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Other than the news that Walker is back in the starting line up, I’m pretty confident and happy with what he’s said there.

Think we need to play walker ATM, limited in alternatives just now, but he needs to either sign or leave in January.

No benifit to player or club.

8 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Think we need to play walker ATM, limited in alternatives just now, but he needs to either sign or leave in January.

No benifit to player or club.

I don’t think he’s got the strength, stamina or pace to play there unfortunately. 

It’s staggering that people lament Walker coming into the team when we are so utter gash.

Yes he might have dipped but he is one of the only players with a semblance of ability in our squad.

5 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I've always wondered what the addition of the "o" in front of Irish is all about?

You're not alone in that.  Maybe it's to avoid any risk of confusing us with Indians.  :whistling:

Meanwhile, that reads to me like an admission that Hibs are likely to travel further in the Cup than we are, and some arse covering for that happening. :mad:

And some people wonder why some people (like me, f'rinstance) are somewhat peeved with the way things are.

1 minute ago, everton_jambo said:

It’s staggering that people lament Walker coming into the team when we are so utter gash.

Yes he might have dipped but he is one of the only players with a semblance of ability in our squad.

Thats not what people are doing though. People are lamenting the fact that we are total pish when he is in the team... that’s the problem. We need a better player than Jamie Walker in his position.

Just now, Ryder said:

Thats not what people are doing though. People are lamenting the fact that we are total pish when he is in the team... that’s the problem. We need a better player than Jamie Walker in his position.

Yeah but we don’t have one.

I reckon Walker would be very good in a good team, it’s no surprise he struggles when he has people like Callachan and Cowie supporting him 

1 minute ago, everton_jambo said:

Yeah but we don’t have one.

I reckon Walker would be very good in a good team, it’s no surprise he struggles when he has people like Callachan and Cowie supporting him 

Same old excuses, it’s everyone else’s fault but Jamie’s. It’s the players around him, not Jamie. I’d have Callachan and Cowie in the team every single minute of the year before Walker. 

3 minutes ago, everton_jambo said:

And nothing in the way of pacey wingers or full back support

Walker has never supported another player in his entire time at Hearts ffs! Are you saying that the team needs to work for him and allow him to play? **** that. Maybe Jamie could bother his arse and track back every once in a while or get stuck in?

Just now, Ryder said:

Same old excuses, it’s everyone else’s fault but Jamie’s. It’s the players around him, not Jamie. I’d have Callachan and Cowie in the team every single minute of the year before Walker. 

I just have to disagree, Callachan can barely control a ball. Cowie is fine but at his age is basically SPL bog standard. Walker has far more ability

Poor old Jamie... he’s always so up against it; team-mates, managers, the fans... It’s a wonder that no other 24 y/o player has ever had to deal with these things. 

:sob:

2 minutes ago, everton_jambo said:

I just have to disagree, Callachan can barely control a ball. Cowie is fine but at his age is basically SPL bog standard. Walker has far more ability

Difference is, Callachan and Cowie are not our first choice attacking midfielders. They are doing their jobs reasonably well. Jamie can’t do his job, and that’s why we need to replace him with someone who can.

Yeah ok you might be right about Walker, I happen to rate him quite highly, the fact is we are a poor team down to poor recruitment and we need to do more than just replace him. I’d say he is the least of our worries.

4 minutes ago, everton_jambo said:

Yeah ok you might be right about Walker, I happen to rate him quite highly, the fact is we are a poor team down to poor recruitment and we need to do more than just replace him. I’d say he is the least of our worries.

I used to rate him highly too. No idea where that guy went though. Agree with the rest. 

11 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Can you tell me the role Levein has him playing because it's a bit difficult to fathom in most games?

Very true. As I say the lad looks lost, we are badly organised and looking for safe options even with the ball. As a result we isolate our strikers and starve them of decent service. If we could deal with the left side,  i.e. a wing -back who can get up and down, I would prefer 3-5-2/5-3-2 set up, this could give us the width we have been lacking. We need to start attacking teams as a unit. The players need to be able to read the game ( not A4 paper ) as it happens and drop in for defenders who have committed themselves forward, if needed. I have no problem with one up front if we have plenty attacking options behind and wide. With the two we play at the moment, one will always be back looking for the ball anyway, it is far from positive. Because of this academy of coaches policy, coaching takes priority over players, coaching will never be more important than players, it is a simple game. Like all walks of life the '' wannabees '' want to change and control to justify their position. ''Too many chiefs, which one do I listen to'' ? If we can get Jamie back to his best I think Brandon could be used in the middle along with Callaghan, they can defend and also push forward, letting the rest play. Show some imagination from the sidelines and the players may do the same. We need to start creating problems for our opponents by playing positive football. 2 or 3 good signings for this league will still be required. We can be a lot better and easier on the eye for the second half of the season, no more excuses please.

7 hours ago, socrates82 said:

Cathro said what types of players he wanted and for what positions. Levein and the rest of the “football dept” identified them. Cathro said whi he’d take. Levein signed them. It’s not hard FFS!

That’s the problem the players they keep identifying are pish. We have all know what type players we have needed for the past two years but our football department keep getting it wrong. It’s no hard FFS

I don’t believe craig picks the players, he negotiates contracts. Cathro and Macphee identified the players, I know for a fact Neilson wanted Sammon. Craig has to get the players the manager wants. If he turns round and says ‘nah their pish’ then that would show he doesn’t trust the manager. Pretty sure Macphee was vocal in getting Lafferty here, and I’m sure he indentified Martin aswell.

6 hours ago, Ryder said:

Walker has never supported another player in his entire time at Hearts ffs! Are you saying that the team needs to work for him and allow him to play? **** that. Maybe Jamie could bother his arse and track back every once in a while or get stuck in?

But CL said we lost to Rangers as a direct result of Walker having to go off? Perhaps he does some magical hidden work that only the management  can see. Anyone that was at that game knows that that was one of the most nonsensical managerial excuses of all time.

Voice of reason

I'd like thread titles to be neutral and just offer the facts. The title of this thread could have been ' Levein talks about player recruitment' instead we get this one. The debate should be within the thread. Trivial but these things are irritating.

I think every thing Levein said in that interview was reasonable. Of course, actions and results will speak louder than words.

GloriousHeartz

Can we not just stand the guy who is probably our greatest ever Captain. Blaming CL for all of our woes, hahahah the man is a Hearts man through and though. He only has what's best for the club in mind. Let him get on with the job, football and football at the moment is full of liars, cheats and yes men. We have a guy that isn't any of them and we're treating him like he is a nobody! 

16 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Callaghan is drowning in a shit midfield.I agree put better players around him and see what he is all about.

Callachan is a much part of shit midfielders as all the other shit midfielders, squad player at the very best I’m afraid, limited player, among many other limited players 

Barring some mental run of form, Levein will be here at the start of February but this place is already pretty much unbearable. Maybe I'll hibernate this year. 

2 hours ago, Skacelsid said:

Very true. As I say the lad looks lost, we are badly organised and looking for safe options even with the ball. As a result we isolate our strikers and starve them of decent service. If we could deal with the left side,  i.e. a wing -back who can get up and down, I would prefer 3-5-2/5-3-2 set up, this could give us the width we have been lacking. We need to start attacking teams as a unit. The players need to be able to read the game ( not A4 paper ) as it happens and drop in for defenders who have committed themselves forward, if needed. I have no problem with one up front if we have plenty attacking options behind and wide. With the two we play at the moment, one will always be back looking for the ball anyway, it is far from positive. Because of this academy of coaches policy, coaching takes priority over players, coaching will never be more important than players, it is a simple game. Like all walks of life the '' wannabees '' want to change and control to justify their position. ''Too many chiefs, which one do I listen to'' ? If we can get Jamie back to his best I think Brandon could be used in the middle along with Callaghan, they can defend and also push forward, letting the rest play. Show some imagination from the sidelines and the players may do the same. We need to start creating problems for our opponents by playing positive football. 2 or 3 good signings for this league will still be required. We can be a lot better and easier on the eye for the second half of the season, no more excuses please.

The team look overcoached and play without good movement or fluency or initiative.Playing through the lines was one of the key strategies of Leveins much vaunted principles of play and the strategy appears to be abandoned .There is the very real difficulty of motivation.A manager who does not really want the job will find it difficult to motivate players.Levein appears to have taken a part time role with the first team and that is just not good enough .This squad of players needs a manager to take hold of the situation and provide strong leadership.The Levein of old would have done this.I really am not sure if he is up for it leaving us with too many "Chiefs"as you say.

"Levein does not really want the job".

Another classic case of someone saying something with no proof what so ever and then it becomes fact.

1 hour ago, GloriousHeartz said:

Can we not just stand the guy who is probably our greatest ever Captain. Blaming CL for all of our woes, hahahah the man is a Hearts man through and though. He only has what's best for the club in mind. Let him get on with the job, football and football at the moment is full of liars, cheats and yes men. We have a guy that isn't any of them and we're treating him like he is a nobody! 

I’m on this bus ^

1 hour ago, jbee647 said:

Callachan is a much part of shit midfielders as all the other shit midfielders, squad player at the very best I’m afraid, limited player, among many other limited players 

He gets a bit of slack from me, because he is still new and has come in at a time when more expectation was placed on him than was healthy, due to lack of bodies. He was not signed to do the jobs of Djoum and Jamie. Hopefully he’ll improve now that there are a few better players coming back to compliment his energy and drive.

Archived