Repetitive Arse Covering by Levein

Tasavallan

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Apprentice

Think what he says is fair enough, but he played a big part in how we’ve ended up in this mess in the first place. 

At these press conferences, why does no one ask him why he allowed such a clearly imbalanced squad to be assembled by his predecessor?

Why is he never called out on the fact that each transfer window finds us desperately needing to re-balance the squad in order to accommodate the current incumbent's preferred style of football?

What has happened to the Principles of Play, which were intended to rid us of this wasteful rip-it-up-and-start-again mentality?

Will be interesting to see how many of these areas we can bolster in January. Would hope that anybody we bring in has been playing as we need them in the team right away and can't afford to give someone a month to get fit.

6 minutes ago, JAMMY1980 said:

Bit like the repetitive moaning and impatience of certain `hearts` fans.

5 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

What he says is 100% correct.  However, the key is turning words into actions.

These.

Dont see much wrong with this. Previous windows havent been good enough but some fans expect him to be making these additions now when it is impossible to do so. We're just going to have to wait until January where hopefully there will be a handful of good additions.

Gene Parmesan

For some, only Levein resigning will do. What else do they expect him to say?

Listen, it's absolute murder going to watch Hearts just now for every one of us. What I cling to for now is that Levein is spot on in identifying our problems. No excuses for him not addressing them in January.

It seems we're shopping for the same thing every window

Maybe finances being ploughed into the new stand not helping, but neither is the amount of pish he is signing

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We need to do better in the windows. He can take the fall for that.

But he recognises the issues. Lets see how he rectifies the current imbalances 

He is directly and/or indirectly responsible for the current state of the squad. I don't trust him to sort it.

Berra, Michael Smith and, conceivably, Lafferty and McLaughlin, are our only good signings in ages.

17 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

In the words of the mighty Boyzone: It's Only Words.

PEDANTRY ALERT - Those were actually the words of the much mightier Bee Gees, covered by the Oirish bhoys - PEDANTRY ALERT

As you were, folks.

The same people who are slating Levein for allowing the squad to become this imbalanced are the same ones who said "Levein picks the team!".

On one hand you're saying he didn't get involved enough, on another he got involved too much. Can this man do no right?

Hes been saying the same for a while as far as I can tell. He cant fix it until January and summer. 

The boy cannot win with some and thats fine but its ****ing tedious when it taints every single thread on here.

August Landmesser
45 minutes ago, JAMMY1980 said:

Indeed.

I'd see CL's words as being more like repetitive stating of the facts as if to a child - we're not minted, so we can't go mad signing anyone until we clear out some old stock. Basic maths really...

I’m encouraged by that article. Levein wants a LB, width and pace, and a goalscorinv midfielder. Exactly what we have been needing for ages. At least we now have a manager that can spot the obvious and will hopefully address these areas.

He knows it's a mess, leave him to do his work and give full backing in the meantime, if we get to July and there's no change then we can cause a noise but right now being negative about every single thing is only hampering things.

41 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

At these press conferences, why does no one ask him why he allowed such a clearly imbalanced squad to be assembled by his predecessor?

Why is he never called out on the fact that each transfer window finds us desperately needing to re-balance the squad in order to accommodate the current incumbent's preferred style of football?

What has happened to the Principles of Play, which were intended to rid us of this wasteful rip-it-up-and-start-again mentality?

He recruited players for the system Cathro wanted to play. He wants to play a different system which obviously requires different players. 

36 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

He is directly and/or indirectly responsible for the current state of the squad. I don't trust him to sort it.

Berra, Michael Smith and, conceivably, Lafferty and McLaughlin, are our only good signings in ages.

Our top scorer is not a bad signing either. Our last 3 or 4 windows have been poor overall though.

August Landmesser
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

He recruited players for the system Cathro wanted to play. He wants to play a different system which obviously requires different players. 

Exactly this. It's hardly rocket science, yet for some on here it seems totally unfathomable.

It's almost as if, no matter what CL says, some folk will jump on him anyway...

51 minutes ago, JAMMY1980 said:

CL said: "So I don't want that to change, I don't want people not to be angry, I think that is right."

When fans stop moaning it generally means they have stopped caring and/or given up. 

13 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Does that mean further cost, trying  to pay of the crap we signed, and can’t get rid of?  Again. 

I doubt we could afford to do that. 

Seymour M Hersh
47 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

For some, only Levein throwing himself off the Queensferry Crossing will do. What else do they expect him to say?

Listen, it's absolute murder going to watch Hearts just now for every one of us. What I cling to for now is that Levein is spot on in identifying our problems. No excuses for him not addressing them in January.

Fifty.

No one can argue that the long term future of this great club is looking amazing. But just now he needs to take the flack for the recruitment over the past few years being god awful.  at least he acknowledges the areas we need to sort out lets just hope he gets it right this time around.

mahgrassyshoes

You know what, folk might not like Levein but we need to give him a chance. 

He’s backed the last 2 management teams with their signings. Robbie has taken Sow & Muirhead with him to MK Dons, Cathro/MacPhee were allowed to sign a lot of players clearly linked to them; Goncalves, the two Greek guys last year and half the NI squad in the summer. 

I’d agree that the imbalance is something he should have prevented in his role as DoF but he was backing his coaches and signed the players they wanted. The performances have, generally, been eye bleeding since he came in but can we at least give him one window to sign a couple of players before we completed right him off? 

We’ve had a depleted midfield since he took over. Djoum came back at the weekend and we looked more likely to play through midfield, it wasn’t perfect but it was an improvement from Killie. Callachan has stepped up a level and is still adjusting. He’s not the best football player going and still wants too much time on the ball but he works hard and gives us energy; he might turn into a decent SPL player when he adjusts. At least give Levein a chance to sort it it before deciding he’s past it, uninterested, has an over inflated opinion of himself. 

It’s boring reading the repetitive digs at Levein, and Hearts, on this board. 

mahgrassyshoes
10 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

CL said: "So I don't want that to change, I don't want people not to be angry, I think that is right."

When fans stop moaning it generally means they have stopped caring and/or given up. 

It’s a fair point. However, folk moan about the squad (rightly) and Levein acknowledges it needs fixed. There’s nothing he can do until January (or possibly beyond depending on finances). Another week goes by another poor performance is served up again Levein acknowledges the squad needs fixed. There’s nothing he can do until January... repeat ad nauseum. After 4-5 weeks fans get fed up hearing the response but keep moaning about it despite there being no options to deal with it. If Levein stops acknowledging it he’s seen as ignoring it, if he continues acknowledging it it’s “repetitive arse covering”. He can’t win. 

A central midfielder who can tackle, pass and dictate a game would improve us massively. I get we need a LB, but unless we get a midfielder in its just gonna be watching Berra launch howitzers 60 yards for the rest of the season.

Every other team in the league plays through the midfield yet we seem to find this difficult. Launching it long to gain territory is so St Johnstone and why folk didn't fancy Tommy Wright for the managers job.

22 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

He knows it's a mess, leave him to do his work and give full backing in the meantime, if we get to July and there's no change then we can cause a noise but right now being negative about every single thing is only hampering things.

Exactly

Don’t see anything wrong with what Levein says. It’s what most on here are saying we need as well. He can’t win with some

12 minutes ago, mahgrassyshoes said:

You know what, folk might not like Levein but we need to give him a chance. 

He’s backed the last 2 management teams with their signings. Robbie has taken Sow & Muirhead with him to MK Dons, Cathro/MacPhee were allowed to sign a lot of players clearly linked to them; Goncalves, the two Greek guys last year and half the NI squad in the summer. 

I’d agree that the imbalance is something he should have prevented in his role as DoF but he was backing his coaches and signed the players they wanted. The performances have, generally, been eye bleeding since he came in but can we at least give him one window to sign a couple of players before we completed right him off? 

We’ve had a depleted midfield since he took over. Djoum came back at the weekend and we looked more likely to play through midfield, it wasn’t perfect but it was an improvement from Killie. Callachan has stepped up a level and is still adjusting. He’s not the best football player going and still wants too much time on the ball but he works hard and gives us energy; he might turn into a decent SPL player when he adjusts. At least give Levein a chance to sort it it before deciding he’s past it, uninterested, has an over inflated opinion of himself. 

It’s boring reading the repetitive digs at Levein, and Hearts, on this board. 

Spot on.  Sadly we could win the next 10 games and some people would still be determined to hound him out.  

5 minutes ago, mahgrassyshoes said:

It’s a fair point. However, folk moan about the squad (rightly) and Levein acknowledges it needs fixed. There’s nothing he can do until January (or possibly beyond depending on finances). Another week goes by another poor performance is served up again Levein acknowledges the squad needs fixed. There’s nothing he can do until January... repeat ad nauseum. After 4-5 weeks fans get fed up hearing the response but keep moaning about it despite there being no options to deal with it. If Levein stops acknowledging it he’s seen as ignoring it, if he continues acknowledging it it’s “repetitive arse covering”. He can’t win. 

Maybe he shouldnt have used getting back to Tynecastle and our midfield maestros returning from injury as reasons for fans to continue to be positive, then.

Shite away from home and at Murrayfield? Wait until we get home and Prince etc return.

Still shite at Tynecastle? Wait until January.

Still shite in January? Well, we have a lovely new stand to sit in/look at. Wait until 2020 when it has been paid off.

Our support is right to be critical and demanding. 

Absolutely honking thread title.

He's listed everything that we need. He knows the problem areas and he deserves a chance to fix them. It's a good thing only the nutters and obsessives (myself included) actually post on JKB because we all know that the overall mood of the fan base at large does not stack up to the amount of pish posted on here.

Edit - And, as happens all the time on here. Someone has posted a thread with a controversial title and is then nowhere to be seen when the discussion starts. Get back out your scratcher and explain what you would like Levein to have said, and what about what he did say you believe is incorrect.

7 minutes ago, hawaii said:

A central midfielder who can tackle, pass and dictate a game would improve us massively.

A midfielder like that would improve most teams. You'll be lucky to get two of those in Scottish football.

We_are_the_Hearts

Can say what players he wants but he has been unable to get anything out this lot. Nothing. No desire, no tempo, no urgency. That is a worry.

Bridge of Djoum

Ah, excellent. Another Levein thread where the same folk post the same thing as they have done on every other thread on this subject.

Mods, any chance of a CL megathread, please? This is getting ******* tiresome.

So once we have some pace on the wings, a tough skilful midfielder and a left back, will we still play a long punt up to Lafferty?

We should be getting far more out the current squad by playing to their strengths. I don't think the January window will fix the style of play...

rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

Reading between the lines, I assume Smith-Brown is being sent back to City?

Maybe him and Randall too. Hadn't thought of that but explains why he's out of the picture

mahgrassyshoes
6 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

Maybe he shouldnt have used getting back to Tynecastle and our midfield maestros returning from injury as reasons for fans to continue to be positive, then.

Shite away from home and at Murrayfield? Wait until we get home and Prince etc return.

Still shite at Tynecastle? Wait until January.

Still shite in January? Well, we have a lovely new stand to sit in/look at. Wait until 2020 when it has been paid off.

Our support is right to be critical and demanding. 

I’m sure we would all have happily accepted it if, when he was appointed, he’s said, “I’m going to step into the dugout but don’t expect anything til January at least because the squad is shite and my hands are tied until then.”

He’s going to try and keep it positive, he’s going to try and rationalise it. It’s part of the job. Any manager coming in after a manager has been sacked should be given, at least, one window to show the team is moving in the right direction before they are hung drawn and quartered, IMO. There is no sense in beating him with the same stick until he’s had a chance to do something about it. 

portobellojambo1
35 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

You are right that he recruited players for Ian Cathro, unfortunately Ian Cathro knew feck all about them until they turned up at Riccarton (i.e Cathro didn't ask for them, didn't know there were a couple of people buying them on the back of watching a video in a now demolished office). And as for this bit about Ian Cathro wanting to play differently to the way CL wants to play, does that not smack in the face in terms of the continuity that has been getting lauded for the last 4 years, in that everyone is looking to get the teams from top to bottom playing the same way, unfortunately it ain't the right way but if it is creating some form of continuity, until it reaches the DoF, possibly can be classed as progress.

3 minutes ago, mahgrassyshoes said:

I’m sure we would all have happily accepted it if, when he was appointed, he’s said, “I’m going to step into the dugout but don’t expect anything til January at least because the squad is shite and my hands are tied until then.”

He’s going to try and keep it positive, he’s going to try and rationalise it. It’s part of the job. Any manager coming in after a manager has been sacked should be given, at least, one window to show the team is moving in the right direction before they are hung drawn and quartered, IMO. There is no sense in beating him with the same stick until he’s had a chance to do something about it. 

I would rather he just sorted it and got the most out of/developed our players (which is, after all, supposed to be the clubs model) than keep on giving excuses. 

And I fully support Levein, btw, although I think it is clear that he doesnt really want the job and has lost some of his passion and fire. 

Archived