Iconic 78 shirt for pre order

Maroon Sailor

bringonthesevco
35 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Ask any successful businessman if they think a product which is pretty much guaranteed to make any profit and also be popular with your client base is a waste of time.

I think 100% would disagree with you.

Don’t believe I said it was a waste of time , merely suggested that our Commercial team should probably have bigger / better things to do with their time than this ....(at the present time )

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Paolo said:

A small profit, but a profit.   And perhaps it is a teaser.  

If they get snapped up, we would be mad not to release more. 

If I am in time, I will order one.   Not because it is limited edition, but because it is lovely.  As far as I am concerned, they can release as many as people want. 

Thing is, it's been marketed as Limited Edition which implies that they won't do any more.

Many people will buy the shirt for that very reason too, in that there will only be 500 available.

What Hearts can do though is perhaps gauge the demand for this and increase the size of any future batch of Limited Edition iconic strips accordingly.

I'm sure that there are a few strips over the years that would prove popular if they were ever available again.

4 minutes ago, bringonthesevco said:

Don’t believe I said it was a waste of time , merely suggested that our Commercial team should probably have bigger / better things to do with their time than this ....(at the present time )

We have a Head of Retail working at the club and presumably there will be additional staff under them. This would suggest they have staff responsible for merchandising matters rather than anyone have a shared responsibility for merchandise and wider commercial matters. 

Additionally when working with suppliers such as kit suppliers, these things generally are designed and formulated months in advance. I'd imagine this has been planned since perhaps before the summer, with the plan to release around Christmas. 

1 hour ago, JamboAl1965 said:

Iconic top limited edition top. Profit for the club. I’m not sure how any negatives can be found in this 

XL all gone in an hour. 

47 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Ask any successful businessman if they think a product which is pretty much guaranteed to make any profit and also be popular with your client base is a waste of time.

I think 100% would disagree with you.

It is not the product that is a waste of time, it is the scale they have done it at. XL are all gone in an hour. For very little additional effort they probably could have shifted a lot more than 500 of these.

WorldChampions1902

Given how quickly this shirt has sold, the club should seriously consider a similar 500 production run for the white version but make more of the popular sizes and fewer of the less popular sizes. Another £2500+ for the club coffers for very little effort.

9 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

Thing is, it's been marketed as Limited Edition which implies that they won't do any more.

Many people will buy the shirt for that very reason too, in that there will only be 500 available.

What Hearts can do though is perhaps gauge the demand for this and increase the size of any future batch of Limited Edition iconic strips accordingly.

I'm sure that there are a few strips over the years that would prove popular if they were ever available again.

Fair point.   Not tbe reason I want to buy it, but is a reason many bought today.  

I think most wont object to another  tranche being released though. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Iconic seems to be out PR/ marketing  people's favourite word. A forty year old shirt design associated with no great football achievements (rather the opposite). Iconic? Jubilee? Overlapping with our ongoing celebration of an actual great achievement (iconic event in Hearts PR speak) 10 years later it seems a bit OTT to me. For as someone has said for £2500 or so.

I think the teaser approach to marketing is also a bit tacky and certainly overdone .

What do you think about our sponsorship deal at the moment?

12 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Only size small left. 

Curses.

Same - would like to have grabbed one.  Not sure why they've touted this as a limited edition and not just made this available to all who would want one.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
27 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

XL all gone in an hour. 

:lol:

Should be no surprise 

Cory McNamara

How about the mighty White from 98.

I wonder, if it was Adidas would they do this with Puma behind their shoulders? What these celebrations about - rise and fall?

Paisley Jambo
1 hour ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

If I still played 5's I'd get one.

Sadly I have no use for a football top.

The silver one might tempt me tho.

Silver one would be a cert.

57 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

2012 Umbro without the Wonga - in 5 years time

21 minutes ago, Cory McNamara said:

How about the mighty White from 98.

I wonder, if it was Adidas would they do this with Puma behind their shoulders? What these celebrations about - rise and fall?

We won't be with Olympic Sportswear afain, and as they are defunct, maybe something that could be tried

£25K turnover on a single item, good bit of business. Probably a taster for other strips, to see if there is a market. One revenue stream of many. Good work.

8 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Thanks, I'm a bit old to wear football top but maybe get one for the boy

Missed the medium boat already!  Must be a case to make another batch.  Would love the away also.  Cmon Hearts make it happen.

1 hour ago, RobbofordGHC said:

Would prefer this one.........

image.thumb.jpeg.a0c7cf1d37c62f4a819c2e7d4321f0fe.jpeg

Love that strip one of my all time favs weve had

Considering most of the people wanting to buy this top, were the kids who had it first time round, it's no surprise that Large and XL sold out so quickly, for those of us with middle age spread.

Add in that it's one of the smartest tops of all time, it wouldn't take an Einstein to realise that they'd be a great seller, especially L & XL.

Hopefully another batch is made, as its easy cash for the club.

Ricardo Shillyshally
14 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Considering most of the people wanting to buy this top, were the kids who had it first time round, it's no surprise that Large and XL sold out so quickly, for those of us with middle age spread.

Add in that it's one of the smartest tops of all time, it wouldn't take an Einstein to realise that they'd be a great seller, especially L & XL.

This. Just tried to buy it and only small left.

Could be a great marketing ploy to create demand. A much smarter version of Uncle Vlad's dynamic pricing

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
55 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Exactly.  The last time I took a size S was probably in 1978 as well.

Come on Hearts, it doesn't take many looks around Tynecastle to nail your demographic!

WorldChampions1902

Looks like it's completely sold out. 500 shirts sold in a few hours - mightily impressive. Time for Hearts to launch the white shirt!

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Iconic seems to be out PR/ marketing  people's favourite word. A forty year old shirt design associated with no great football achievements (rather the opposite). Iconic? Jubilee? Overlapping with our ongoing celebration of an actual great achievement (iconic event in Hearts PR speak) 10 years later it seems a bit OTT to me. For as someone has said for £2500 or so.

I think the teaser approach to marketing is also a bit tacky and certainly overdone .

:rofl:

Sold out in minutes :rofl:

Tacky :rofl:

Francis Albert :rofl:

Don't need to order one, I've still got an original from '78.     :verysmug:

Long time since I've managed to wear it, seems to have shrunk in the wash years ago.  :whistling: 

The white top in the same year was a thing of beauty as well.

Umbro were brilliant that year.

The iconic Scotland was a brilliant top as well.

Man City was another.

2 hours ago, Busby8 said:

Limited edition just a phrase to make you think you must buy now! And it works pretty well, sure they will produce another 500 or 1000 if demand is there - makes no sense to turn away business for both Umbro and Hearts and have unhappy fans!

fabienleclerq
2 hours ago, Busby8 said:

I take your point R.e limited edition, the club could just stick them without the certificate etc and punt them at the same price. They've sold in minutes be daft not to get more done. At the rate they've sold Id imagine they could get a couple thousand sold even at 20% profit Would be a great fundraiser.

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

I don't know if it's just me but the photo on the website looks a mite unnatural - as if some thin-waisted person had used steroids to over-bulk their shoulders and chest area. Do people actually have bodies like that? :)

9ded3c52011e14403b1e0737737cb9ec.png

classic

8 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I take your point R.e limited edition, the club could just stick them without the certificate etc and punt them at the same price. They've sold in minutes be daft not to get more done. At the rate they've sold Id imagine they could get a couple thousand sold even at 20% profit Would be a great fundraiser.

I'm very disappointed at not being able to buy one of these tops.

I doubt anyone who has been lucky enough to get one would begrudge a further batch being made available.

queensferryjambo
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Iconic seems to be out PR/ marketing  people's favourite word. A forty year old shirt design associated with no great football achievements (rather the opposite). Iconic? 

Yes it is an iconic Hearts shirt. The original Umbro diamond shirts are definitely the most sought after Hearts shirts on the second hand market by a long way.  It has been a long time coming that Hearts made a decent retro version of this.

I run the Heart of Midlothian football shirt collectors page and and can assure you there is no other shirt that people ask for more. 

Shameless plug -   https://www.facebook.com/groups/896156137164364/

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Time he finished his post some sizes had sold out. Not an iconic shirt though because we were shit in that era

It was a top Eamonn Bannon wore, i'm sure, while heading us back into the top flight at Gayfield in front of 8k Hearts fans.  A good ''iconic' memory.. 

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

It was a top Eamonn Bannon wore, i'm sure, while heading us back into the top flight at Gayfield in front of 8k Hearts fans.  A good ''iconic' memory.. 

Sure was and on the pitch at the end.

We had 5 or 6 seasons with that kit. Never see the likes of that again

4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

They're just catering to the massive nostalgia market of portly 40-somethings who have watched football all their lives and now have a bit of cash to buy things like strips when they couldn't afford them at the time. These strips are no different to the recent resurgence of collecting Panini stickers - harks back to simpler times when football wasn't run by TV execs. It's very smart and I agree they could sell 2 or 3 times that many. This might have been a test. Hopefully as I missed my chance! Had a medium in the shopping cart, got distracted, and it had gone :(

Probably like many folk reading I have the panini album from that year with this kit in it. All Hearts players present and correct.

still not sure on this , however I think this was the first year we had the club badge on the shirt ? possibly celebrating 40th anniversary of this

Just seen this and it looks like they are all gone already. Quick bit of business will they reorder or was that all that could be got before Christmas?

Nelly Terraces

Tried to order a small (despite being 6ft 2" - that's keeping fit & slim for you chubbies,  he said smugly!?), but all gone - snooze ya lose.

I think they shoulda done a few more really, I'd have thought 1500 would've still been a nice Ltd run. Never mind - good on those who grabbed one, they're a very natty item to own.?

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

2012 Umbro without the Wonga - in 5 years time

They've been produced. I got two of them a couple of years ago. 

Maroon Sailor

Looks like they have all been snapped up.

These shirts are like gold dust it seems and surely the club will get Umbro to produce some more to meet demand.

Archived