Stop thief!

Morgan

Reading an article yesterday about theft. Not what you would expect but rather about petty theft going on that we’ve probably all done without really considering it to be ‘real’ theft.

Two of the most common places this goes on is in hotels and in the workplace.

Hotels: Towels, toiletries, glasses, cutlery, sachets of tea and coffee, slippers, coat hangers,  pillow cases, light bulbs, toilet paper, batteries from remote controls etc. etc.

Workplace/Offices: Pens and pencils, paper, CD’s, most stationery items, other peoples food from the fridge, milk, tea, coffee etc. etc.

We have done a few of these over the years but tend to class it as either ‘perks’ or ‘long-term borrowing’ rather than theft.

What have you choried?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nah not having that. Toiletries in hotels are fair game, you have paid for that and they will gladly replenish them.

Likewise. Tea, coffee etc in the workplace is provided.

Reckon the most common one will be the self serve checkouts. Ive heard of folk putting steaks through as bananas etc

3 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

nah not having that. Toiletries in hotels are fair game, you have paid for that and they will gladly replenish them.

Likewise. Tea, coffee etc in the workplace is provided.

Reckon the most common one will be the self serve checkouts. Ive heard of folk putting steaks through as bananas etc

Loving the banana/steak one.

Off to the shops, back in 20.

A pint Carlsberg Tankard somehow managed to drop into my suitcase whilst on holiday in Cyprus one year.

It must have been lonely as a half pint one decided to keep it company as well on it's long journey back.  :laugh:

Hotel Toiletries, tea and coffee are fair game, they put them out there to be used, doesn't say when or where they are to be used though.

Guy I used to work with once worked for Amazon. He said anything distributed by Amazon up to the value of about £200 would be re-sent no questions asked if you called up and said it hadn't been delivered.

Edit: Never tried it like...

Sawdust Caesar
16 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Sirloin steaks by Fyffes?

I was given a Nissan Primera to go on a training course and kept it for a year. Only gave it back when the firm were audited by PWC. 

Told them it had been in the car park for 11.5 months and i knew **** all about it. 20k on the clock. 

31 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

A pint Carlsberg Tankard somehow managed to drop into my suitcase whilst on holiday in Cyprus one year.

It must have been lonely as a half pint one decided to keep it company as well on it's long journey back.  :laugh:

Hotel Toiletries, tea and coffee are fair game, they put them out there to be used, doesn't say when or where they are to be used though.

16 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Novelty pint glasses in pubs. Cupboards full of them. :D

Drinking out of a Hobgoblin glass just now.

:thumbsup:

Beer glasses are something I can’t stop stealing too.

25 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Guy I used to work with once worked for Amazon. He said anything distributed by Amazon up to the value of about £200 would be re-sent no questions asked if you called up and said it hadn't been delivered.

Similar thing with a Boots the chemist International order we made.

Phoned them to say our order hadn’t arrived here, they said they would re-send and we were to let them know if the original order showed up.

It did and we didn’t.

Boots no longer have this service sadly :)

Салатные палочки

I've got a tub of hotel coffee, tea, sugar and hot chocolate in my desk at work.  As mentioned above it's there to be used, it doesn't say when and where.  For all they know I could have spent the weekend in my room drinking hot beverages.  

Got a few pint glasses in the house.  Stella and Strongbow are my favourites, however the Strongbow ones are always teetering on spilling everywhere because of their long, thin shape (pick the bones out of that one you filth mongers).  

My gym provide Spa towels, toiletries, soaps....

I forget to put them back very often. 

I once had a coffee table derived 3 days late after I complained and got another delivered from Argos. I gave it to my. 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I always remember the inflatable steaks we used to wave about in the shed in the 80s

13 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Someone wanna try the Amazon one? :laugh:

I thought they make you sign something? 

Would maybe get away with it once/twice at most but if you constantly did of you could get in trouble i would imagine. 

Rudolf's Mate

Went to John Lewis and wanted 2 Lacoste polo shirts however they didn’t have my size. They said they could order them in from another store and have them delivered which I was happy with. 2 weeks later and nothing received so I called up and complained. The sent them again next day delivery. A few days later the original parcel also turned up :pleasing:

2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

I used to work for them as well. One of the more common ones was people calling up and claiming that the parcel was delivered but the item wasn't in the box. Got to the point where they installed scales at the dispatch centres so that each parcel was weighed before being sent out.

31 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I thought they make you sign something? 

Would maybe get away with it once/twice at most but if you constantly did of you could get in trouble i would imagine. 

I didn't have to sign for a 250 quid camera lens that I bought a couple of months ago. Fairly confident that I could have claimed that it wasn't delivered. If you did it repeatedly they would ban your account but not sure how they could push for prosecution if there's no signature.

I must be an old fuddy duddy but I don't steal anything that doesn't belong to me and, if two identical things arrived from the same supplier, I would make every attempt I could to send one of them back. I can't abide theft under any guise. Sometimes I feel as if the modern world has passed me by. :)

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Reading an article yesterday about theft. Not what you would expect but rather about petty theft going on that we’ve probably all done without really considering it to be ‘real’ theft.

Two of the most common places this goes on is in hotels and in the workplace.

Hotels: Towels, toiletries, glasses, cutlery, sachets of tea and coffee, slippers, coat hangers,  pillow cases, light bulbs, toilet paper, batteries from remote controls etc. etc.

Workplace/Offices: Pens and pencils, paper, CD’s, most stationery items, other peoples food from the fridge, milk, tea, coffee etc. etc.

We have done a few of these over the years but tend to class it as either ‘perks’ or ‘long-term borrowing’ rather than theft.

What have you choried?

When my last place closed I was hoping to take away an office chair. No joy there, so helped myself to a ream of paper. Well mine at home had run out :ninja:

scott herbertson
13 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Anyone has taken time off reading Kickback to do some work?

FTFY

2 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Someone wanna try the Amazon one? :laugh:

I already told you. I have never tried it.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

I must be an old fuddy duddy but I don't steal anything that doesn't belong to me and, if two identical things arrived from the same supplier, I would make every attempt I could to send one of them back. I can't abide theft under any guise. Sometimes I feel as if the modern world has passed me by. :)

This!

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

That happened to me with perfume I bought for the wife, I received two, but was only charged for one.

Being an honest sod (most of the time) I contacted them and was given an address to send the perfume back to, which I duly did by recorded delivery, with the promise of being reimbursed the postage cost once they received it back.

I never received a penny back from them, despite reminding them, so by being honest it cost me money, so guess what I'll happen the next time I get two things by mistake.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

I got sent two computer desks a few years ago, can't remember where I got them from. They weren't really expensive, but they weren't cheap either. But when I phoned up to arrange for the extra one to be picked up and returned, they weren't interested! Said in not so many words to just keep it...I didn't need the extra one so the in-laws got a free computer desk. If the company's not interested in fixing their own mistake, then I've no problem benefiting from it. :) 

18 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That happened to me with perfume I bought for the wife, I received two, but was only charged for one.

Being an honest sod (most of the time) I contacted them and was given an address to send the perfume back to, which I duly did by recorded delivery, with the promise of being reimbursed the postage cost once they received it back.

I never received a penny back from them, despite reminding them, so by being honest it cost me money, so guess what I'll happen the next time I get two things by mistake.

I can see how you feel about that, and sorry it happened, but you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush. That company fecked up but other companies may not do so. Social media's a helluva thing though, and if the company did that to you nowadays, it's more likely that chasing them up on Twitter or Facebook and telling everyone how they hadn't reimbursed you would spur them into action. In the old days, companies knew that most problems were private matters between you and them and thus they could treat you like crap.

Interesting article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/30294748/can-you-keep-stuff-delivered-by-mistake

Personally, unless I knew the company I was dealing with (i.e. we had positive history), I would have said to them "You sent me the extra perfume by mistake, you sort it out. If that involves sending me a stamped addressed envelope or getting a courier to pick it up, so be it, but I'm not spending any of my money to rectify the problem". I know that qualifies what I said  about making "every attempt to send them back" so let's change it to "reasonable attempt". :)

1 minute ago, Louis Litt said:

I got sent two computer desks a few years ago, can't remember where I got them from. They weren't really expensive, but they weren't cheap either. But when I phoned up to arrange for the extra one to be picked up and returned, they weren't interested! Said in not so many words to just keep it...I didn't need the extra one so the in-laws got a free computer desk. If the company's not interested in fixing their own mistake, then I've no problem benefiting from it. :) 

That happens a lot. It's often not worth the company's effort to sort the problem out. In that case it's definitely a "well then,thanks for the gift" situation! :)

scott herbertson

When I was selling off my  books online ( up to March this year) via one of the main worldwide sites, I would get occasional e mails from abroad  saying the book hadn’t turned up. For books below £75 each I wouldn’t do registered posts as the costs inhibit orders. . I would reqUest that they gave it another couple of weeks and usually I didn’t hear from them again. Out of about 1000 orders all 4 remaining complaints came from one country - guess which?

Result was I would be out of pocket by both losing the book and paying my postage costs. Very annoying as they could be sitting there reading the book....

4 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

When I was selling off my  books online ( up to March this year) via one of the main worldwide sites, I would get occasional e mails from abroad  saying the book hadn’t turned up. For books below £75 each I wouldn’t do registered posts as the costs inhibit orders. . I would reqUest that they gave it another couple of weeks and usually I didn’t hear from them again. Out of about 1000 orders all 4 remaining complaints came from one country - guess which?

Result was I would be out of pocket by both losing the book and paying my postage costs. Very annoying as they could be sitting there reading the book....

Vanuatu? :) I can't guess, which one was it?

Couple of years ago, both my daughter and step-daughter wanted an iPod for Christmas. We decided the best way to do it was order one one month and the other the following month. The first arrived via Royal Mail, no signature required just dropped through the letter box. Phoned up a few days later saying it never arrived and they sent another out. Result!

Incredibly the 2nd one didn’t require a signature either. I was tempted to do the same again but decided to quit while I was ahead.

As for Amazon, We get loads of stuff delivered from them and I can’t remember the last time I was asked for a signature.

1 hour ago, Louis Litt said:

Cost of returning it was probably equal to or greater than their margin on it. Makes no sense for them to take it back.

scott herbertson
18 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Many years ago my Grandad used to work in London and I used to travel down with my Nan to see him.

Every trip she would half inch the small British Rail Steel Teapots. 

:rofl:

Cutlery also used to find a way into her handbag. 

I also noticed British Rail towels that she must have nabbed when she used the sleeper.

Flipping tea leaf, my dear old Nan.

:phface:

I bought a 1930s built bungalow in Orpington from a really old guy who had had it built then. It was very dingy (smelled of wee, big brown stain above where he sat from his pipe etc). There were two distinctive features I thought might be worth keeping. 

First was the bathroom tiles - really nice black and white but something jarred. He saw me looking and said “waterloo station - used to work there”

Second was a huge fireplace with decorative guard and tiles above. Again he saw me looking and said “ The Earl of ...’s house.” Became derelict in the  40s and then a house of ill repute, it burned down and he half inched the whole fireplace. He was about 95 but still had a twinkle in his eye...

5 hours ago, Boab said:

Do people really take the batteries oot of remote controls in their hotel rooms ?

Peasants !

:oohmatron:

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Many years ago my Grandad used to work in London and I used to travel down with my Nan to see him.

Every trip she would half inch the small British Rail Steel Teapots. 

Cutlery also used to find a way into her handbag. 

I also noticed British Rail towels that she must have nabbed when she used the sleeper.

Flipping tea leaf, my dear old Nan.

:phface:

Jonno?

If you happen to remember Khushi McDonalds Indian restaurant just up beyond the Bridges, maybe near Infirmary Street?

They sold cheap but brilliant Indian food and all their cutlery was ex British Rail and all the crockery was mid-matched and the glasses were stolen from the Pivot Bar (owned then by Hearts centre half Alan Anderson).

Anything to do with your old Nan?

Loving the Nan connection with Indian food by the way :lol:

2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

The USA

Was going to say Russia, I have now stopped sending anything to that country, too many things allegedly going missing.

Alwayssunnyingorgie

I steal food alot. I scan reduced chicken, steak etc and put fresh ones in my bag( I don't pay for the bag either). I stole 2 meals in Newark airport aswell,  I spent  2hours waiting for my flight shitting myself that I would get jumped by security.  I wouldn't steal anything expensive or that belonged to someone. But its a good feeling knowing you've got away with something.  

scott herbertson
5 minutes ago, Alwayssunnyingorgie said:

I steal food alot. I scan reduced chicken, steak etc and put fresh ones in my bag( I don't pay for the bag either). I stole 2 meals in Newark airport aswell,  I spent  2hours waiting for my flight shitting myself that I would get jumped by security.  I wouldn't steal anything expensive or that belonged to someone. But its a good feeling knowing you've got away with something.  

Im guessing you haven’t experienced how bad the feeling is when you get caught and put in prison?

Alwayssunnyingorgie
4 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Im guessing you haven’t experienced how bad the feeling is when you get caught and put in prison?

I'm confident I won't goto prison for conning the self scan machine and stealing carrier bags. 

scott herbertson
7 minutes ago, Alwayssunnyingorgie said:

I'm confident I won't goto prison for conning the self scan machine and stealing carrier bags. 

Im sure you would t too - how about the airport?

Used to to do a fair bit of thievery myself as a kid but getting caught made me wise up a bit

Archived