Genuine question : are Leveins days numbered?

gavinderbayne

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

To my mind, the games we should be winning are a better gauge of progress. The cup game will get a lot of attention but defeat would not be hugely surprising even if Hearts play well.

I agree with you, but that’s not how the vast majority of fans will see it I think. There will be such a storm from the fans that I think he would be unlikely to survive. Having said that I guess Budge may not budge if she is determined to follow the plan through.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gambo said:

Your idea of good/decent differs from mine and a lot of others.

This “a lot of others” line holds no weight with me whatsoever. Plenty others disagree with a lot of others. It means nothing and does not sway my opinion.

Tokyo Drifter
2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

He’s only just started, so no (although if you are picky everyone’s days are numbered)

There is is a clear milestone coming up in the Hibs cup game. Lose that then yes, I would say the peg his jacket is on will be wobbly to say the least. Before then I think he’s fairly safe. 

A factor to be consider given his contract length is it will cost a fortune if you want himout of the club altogether 

I think we have to stop binning managers because they lose to Hibs in the cup. It's getting ridiculous.

I think he was given the job because money was tight; because  Budge didn't trust him to appoint another manager given the fiasco of Cathro's short tenure; and (possibly) because she knew that if Levein failed as manager she would be perfectly entitled to sack him, which would otherwise be a bit tricky if he was still in his DoF role. Levein is not indispensible or bullet proof and nobody should think he is.

2 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

He deserves **** all. If he wanted the job he should have been in the dugout and not Cathro in the first place. He (and the board) then fannied about throughout the window even though it was obvious to all and sundry how short of quality we were. He deserves absolutely no sympathy for the state of the squad. He oversaw countless appalling signings and at best allowed them to happen. If he was showing even a degree of hunger for the role he might get some leeway but the fact is Levein's managerial career has been and gone, the guy isn't interested in a day to day training ground role. Which we most definitely require. There will be no team "built" under his watch.

Blimey! Calm yourself down. :unsure:

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

He deserves **** all. If he wanted the job he should have been in the dugout and not Cathro in the first place. He (and the board) then fannied about throughout the window even though it was obvious to all and sundry how short of quality we were. He deserves absolutely no sympathy for the state of the squad. He oversaw countless appalling signings and at best allowed them to happen. If he was showing even a degree of hunger for the role he might get some leeway but the fact is Levein's managerial career has been and gone, the guy isn't interested in a day to day training ground role. Which we most definitely require. There will be no team "built" under his watch.

He's a Hearts legend who's been with us over twenty years as player, manager and dof. 

He deserves time, if anything to fix the cathro mess he's overseen.

The way some Hearts fans talk about Hearts players such as Robbie and cl is horrendous.

Not fitting for a Hearts forum in all honesty, party planners would be more apt.

6 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I agree with you, but that’s not how the vast majority of fans will see it I think. There will be such a storm from the fans that I think he would be unlikely to survive. Having said that I guess Budge may not budge if she is determined to follow the plan through.

A steady run of results in the league with this squad far outweighs a cup game against Hibs. It  is important to recognise Hearts are 5 points off the play off spot. Exercising hysteria over the outcome of a knock out game where Hearts will undoubtedly be underdogs is just silly.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

I think we have to stop binning managers because they lose to Hibs in the cup. It's getting ridiculous.

I think he was given the job because money was tight; because  Budge didn't trust him to appoint another manager given the fiasco of Cathro's short tenure; and (possibly) because she knew that if Levein failed as manager she would be perfectly entitled to sack him, which would otherwise be a bit tricky if he was still in his DoF role. Levein is not indispensible or bullet proof and nobody should think he is.

Sense.

If he steadies the ship, I think we'll get a new mañager in the summer and cl will move to a less visible role, fail and he's Sacked, new manager.

At this moment, the fans should be willing him and  the team to succeed.

I've been quite neutral on the appointment of Levein (as manager). If anything, I was pleased that he put his neck on the line and to see how it goes.

I don't think his three year deal nor his place on the board makes him any safer than any other manager in this league. I was walking down the steps in the Gorgie Stand at the end of the Dunfermline match and I saw at close hand the level of anger thrown towards Ann Budge as folk had clearly had enough of Ian Cathro (that day was my own personal breaking point with him too). If we keep losing games, the fans will turn again.

Which leads to the factor is economics. I would've thought the opening of the NMS and the chance to see (for the first time) a new-look Tynecastle would've had Saturday's game as a home sell-out. I wonder how Ann will feel if we continue to struggle, and crowds start dipping to 16,000, 15,000?

Thus, my feeling on Levein is that he better start winning games soon. 

scott herbertson
7 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

5 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

A steady run of results in the league with this squad far outweighs a cup game against Hibs. It  is important to recognise Hearts are 5 points off the play off spot. Exercising hysteria over the outcome of a knock out game where Hearts will undoubtedly be underdogs is just silly.

I agree , but I was just predicting what I think will happen if we lose against Hibs in the cup, not what I think SHOULD happen

Give him a chance. I’m not a great fan of his so far but he’s not had much to work with and yes he’s made some mistakes in hindsight. We can’t keep changing because the squad isn’t very good. We’ve went through a period with one of the worst managers in history and it’ll take some time to steady the ship.

of course the up coming games right up to (including) the Hibs cup clash will determine what happens.

a defeat in the cup will not be tolerated. Or a draw

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bill said:

I've been quite neutral on the appointment of Levein (as manager). If anything, I was pleased that he put his neck on the line and to see how it goes.

I don't think his three year deal nor his place on the board makes him any safer than any other manager in this league. I was walking down the steps in the Gorgie Stand at the end of the Dunfermline match and I saw at close hand the level of anger thrown towards Ann Budge as folk had clearly had enough of Ian Cathro (that day was my own personal breaking point with him too). If we keep losing games, the fans will turn again.

Which leads to the factor is economics. I would've thought the opening of the NMS and the chance to see (for the first time) a new-look Tynecastle would've had Saturday's game as a home sell-out. I wonder how Ann will feel if we continue to struggle, and crowds start dipping to 16,000, 15,000?

Good post. And these are announced crowds, ST's again had a big uptake which influences those numbers. Lose the cup match and by the end of January Tynecastle will be half empty. Walk ups will be well down and a significant number with ST's won't even bother. No way Budge will ignore that.

1 hour ago, Ryder said:

Yes they did. Jordan, Clark, JJ, Levein, Robertson, all divided opinion. Even Burley was openly criticised on here... Valdas, Csaba... all divided opinions... Paulo Sergio... To make out this is unique to Levein is extremely churlish. I can’t think of one manager in our history that didn’t divide opinion. Maybe Doddie, but I was pretty young at the time and there was no online platform for these sort of empty-vessel echo chamber campaigns to gather momentum, so he may have been too.

I wonder how those who can't see past our Head Coach and his tedious unsuccessful management style would have reacted to similar prrformances and results had Steven Pressley been given the job. I really don't get the big Levein love-in with some on here. Our 3 Scottish Cup wins in recent times all came in during spells when he was not involved. He was a great player and a reasonable manager but we've had more influential and better players along with successful managers.

5 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Good post. And these are announced crowds, ST's again had a big uptake which influences those numbers. Lose the cup match and by the end of January Tynecastle will be half empty. Walk ups will be well down and a significant number with ST's won't even bother. No way Budge will ignore that.

We can keep an eye on it. However, from my experience, Hearts fans tend to stick by their club. They show an overwhelming ability to forgive. The fact that crowds have to DIP to 15,000 shows how committed the fans are to the club despite the dross served up for WEEKS now. For me, only a boycott would see the ground half full (10K)

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I wonder how those who can't see past our Head Coach and his tedious unsuccessful management style would have reacted to similar prrformances and results had Steven Pressley been given the job. I really don't get the big Levein love-in with some on here. Our 3 Scottish Cup wins in recent times all came in during spells when he was not involved. He was a great player and a reasonable manager but we've had more influential and better players along with successful managers.

I can see past our head coach, I’ve already said I think he’s been a mixed bag. It’s just too early to properly judge him. Id say exactly the same no matter who it was that had overseen his start to the season under the same circumstances, including Pressley who I cannot stand.

alwaysthereinspirit
2 hours ago, gavinderbayne said:

I wondered genuinely if we are likely to see another change of manager if things don't start to improve soon. I feel a bit perplexed about our managerial situation.  We seem to have gone from the Cathro experiment of a manager with no experience to a manager with lots of experience who's been out of front line managing for a while and we are still stuttering with inconsistency and unable to hold a lead. I'm interested to hear opinions about the way forward. 

Genuine question. How many times have you seen Hearts play while not playing #!bs?

3 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

We can keep an eye on it. However, from my experience, Hearts fans tend to stick by their club. They show an overwhelming ability to forgive. The fact that crowds have to DIP to 15,000 shows how committed the fans are to the club despite the dross served up for WEEKS now. For me, only a boycott would see the ground half full (10K)

Nobody is doubting the loyalty of the Hearts support. No support in the UK has done more for their club. But its already been obvious that throughout 2017 many ST holders pick and choose their games. Even for the opening of the new Main Stand on Sunday there were undoubtably plenty ST holders not in attendance. Anyway, my point was about what would happen by the end of January for the remaining league matches. Whilst the ST money is already in the bank there is no question the financial implications of the Hibs cup tie are massive (as they have been in the previous 2 campaigns) both for the remainder of this season and next. The knock on effect is great. People did "forgive" again last summer, there is not a chance as many will if things go pear shaped again. With a greater capacity its easy to get tickets for games and the ST uptake will suffer without significant change.

47 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I don't really understand that argument.

If he is that bad that it comes down to games v 1 club then does that not say he is bad and needs to go.

Add this poor run of results and failure in preceding games to the cup tie then his days as manager are certainly done. A move back upstairs would save face no doubt. However I have faith in him and believe he will turn it around. 

1 minute ago, Hendricks said:

Nobody is doubting the loyalty of the Hearts support. No support in the UK has done more for their club. But its already been obvious that throughout 2017 many ST holders pick and choose their games. Even for the opening of the new Main Stand on Sunday there were undoubtably plenty ST holders not in attendance. Anyway, my point was about what would happen by the end of January for the remaining league matches. Whilst the ST money is already in the bank there is no question the financial implications of the Hibs cup tie are massive (as they have been in the previous 2 campaigns) both for the remainder of this season and next. The knock on effect is great. People did "forgive" again last summer, there is not a chance as many will if things go pear shaped again. With a greater capacity its easy to get tickets for games and the ST uptake will suffer without significant change.

I agree with this. You may be surprised to know. 

8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Oooft several great points. I can guarantee you one thing we would be seeing a damn sight better body language, desire and passion on the touchline with Pressley in charge. He still wants to manage day to day and would be putting way more into it than we are seeing from Levein in his ivory tower.

I very much want CL to succeed and the team to move forward.

I put forward this question as I find it hard to reconcile.

Would a fully committed manager only interact with the team directly 2 days a week.? and before I get the other commitments line, surely given the current situation, the MANAGER should drop everything and devote all his energies to putting a winning team on the park, even if its just in the short term, till things are steadied. I am sure there are others who could pick up his slack in other departments, after all we are a football team, and everything else is secondary.

Just seems a strange one to me?? 

27 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill said:

He’ll fine we’ll know he needs to start winning....I hope.

But he hasn’t helped himself in the last 4 matches with team selection and decisions which has brought into question as to whether he’s losing the knack or ability as a manager?

Like many I am a CL admirer for his past as a player and decent first spell as a manager at Hearts.

But I’m starting to wonder about him myself...like many.

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Whoever taken over from Cathro had a task.

Cathro's tenure ended with defeat to Peterhead, that's horrific, must be in the top , worst results in our history.

Added to no home games and a stupid amount of injuries in midfield it's been a bit shite.

Give him until January, then judge.

Would be fair for any mañager.

maroonnicky63

I some how think the job was forced on him and he had to take it to steady the boat as it were but he needs time, if I was to be honest I don't think his heart is in management now but with the January window coming up soon that will be his chance to prove he still has the passion to carry on.

I have my tin hat on with my next comment as I think Cathro took a lot of unnecessary stick when you think the real reason was we could not afford a better quality of player to give him , he had to work what was thrown at him so it will be interesting to see if Mrs Budge decides to loosen the purse strings in January

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, gavinderbayne said:

I wondered genuinely if we are likely to see another change of manager if things don't start to improve soon. I feel a bit perplexed about our managerial situation.  We seem to have gone from the Cathro experiment of a manager with no experience to a manager with lots of experience who's been out of front line managing for a while and we are still stuttering with inconsistency and unable to hold a lead. I'm interested to hear opinions about the way forward. 

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, gavinderbayne said:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/18044372

5 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Cathro's tenure ended with defeat to Peterhead, that's horrific, must be in the top , worst results in our history.

Added to no home games and a stupid amount of injuries in midfield it's been a bit shite.

I agree, its fair to give him until after January as it would be for any manager. Results will determine his fate however and it certainly won't be possible to survive another cup exit to Hibs. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I agree, its fair to give him until after January as it would be for any manager. Results will determine his fate however and it certainly won't be possible to survive another cup exit to Hibs. 

If we won 6 or 7 of our next league games, he would survive a cup exit to hibs.

Sitting where we are now, he won't.

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

what if the team plays well and loses to a last minute disputed penalty?  It MAY not be possible to survive but only depending on the nature of the defeat, and even then. There's no certainty involved.

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

What are we on just now if not a "terrible run of results"?

Well we drew the other day.  Terrible run would be like something Cathro/MacPhee had at the end of last season. 

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Not sure if you are intentionally missing the point.

The Hearts support is massively divided over Levein's football strategy for our Club - some really don't like it - some do.  This is causing a very unhealthy atmosphere, over and above normal differing opinions on past Managers.

Hope that's clear.

Don't really think it is any different from the past, I can see both arguments.

But in the past it may not have been the manager/ DOF causing the aggravation it was the chairperson causing animosity on both sides of the divide.

19 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Oooft several great points. I can guarantee you one thing we would be seeing a damn sight better body language, desire and passion on the touchline with Pressley in charge. He still wants to manage day to day and would be putting way more into it than we are seeing from Levein in his ivory tower.

Agreed Hendricks. I think that teams quite often reflect the personality of their manager and Pressley would certainly be more vocal and animated on the touchline than Levein seems to be.

13 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Agreed Hendricks. I think that teams quite often reflect the personality of their manager and Pressley would certainly be more vocal and animated on the touchline than Levein seems to be.

If we think Levein divides the support then Pressley takes it to amother level. 

40 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Add this poor run of results and failure in preceding games to the cup tie then his days as manager are certainly done. A move back upstairs would save face no doubt. However I have faith in him and believe he will turn it around. 

If he goes he can't be allowed to hang around upstairs, he has to go completely.

3 minutes ago, Gambo said:

If he goes he can't be allowed to hang around upstairs, he has to go completely.

I agree. If he goes because has been seen to fail by the rest of the board then he won’t be staying on. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

It must be in Craig's best interests to get the team winning now, keep the walk up fans coming and ensure that he has adequate funds in January. The performances he is getting at the moment are not helping him really and anything short of a win against Ross County will be greeted with growing levels of frustration. He really has to get on that training pitch every working day and get this team out of the rut it is getting itself into at the moment.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

What's all this about his tenure being pinned on the cup tie? We play them in the league almost a month before that, what if we beat them then?

Considering how many lose faith in a manager after a derby defeat, surely a long awaited victory can only help him considerably?

For what it's worth I think it's far too soon to be talking about sacking him, he's just in the door (metaphorically speaking). If anything his tenure up to this point has proved he wasn't picking the team and probably didn't have as much of an influence on first team affairs as many seem to think. Performances recently have been poor but for me he needs time to turn things round. He knows what we require to fix things, it's up to him to do that. This next month or so is massive for how our season will turn out.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

What's all this about his tenure being pinned on the cup tie? We play them in the league almost a month before that, what if we beat them then?

Considering how many lose faith in a manager after a derby defeat, surely a long awaited victory can only help him considerably?

For what it's worth I think it's far too soon to be talking about sacking him, he's just in the door (metaphorically speaking). If anything his tenure up to this point has proved he wasn't picking the team and probably didn't have as much of an influence on first team affairs as many seem to think. Performances recently have been poor but for me he needs time to turn things round. He knows what we require to fix things, it's up to him to do that. This next month or so is massive for how our season will turn out.

I disagree, I think it shows he has had a hand in how we go about our games. I can't see any real difference in style under Neilsons last year, Cathro and Levein.

1 hour ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Spot on

I believe Levein knows what the issues are with the team so should be allowed to carry on until the end of the season.

Over the years there have been a lot of successful managers who have had very very good assistant managers and I think looking at Levein just now ,it’s seems to me that Houston had a big influence on him tactically at times  and it looks like that’s missing at the minute with the current set of assistants beside him . 

Too early to go but by **** the pressure is mounting 

portobellojambo1

The only thing I can see will prevent him leaving sooner rather than later is the 3 year deal he has. Lets make no mistake about it, his time with Scotland proved it, come the end of his contract, if it were this January during the transfer, window it will not be as a result of a resignation and give up of any income remaining had he stayed in place. He will do us for every single penny he can get out of us. He won't walk away and admit, maybe it wasn't all Ian Cathro's fault, he won't say maybe we (JM and CL) did impact on him  and the two of us shouldn't have decided on the 6 player signings we did after watching a short video, without Ian's knowledge.

But at least we managed to get him to carry the can for it and John and I hung on to our cushy (spelling) jobs.

If it is financially beneficial to HMFC in any way then for me the sooner the better. I thought he looked disinterested in the matches played at Murrayfield and he just looked as if he couldn't give a shit when the cameras focused on him at Tynecastle Sunday (as shown on Sportscene).

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, OTT said:

I wouldn't think so. 

There seems to be too much ambiguity about the DoF role and his oversight of first team affairs. I think the press where very keen to push a 'Levein is picking the team' narrative which implies that he was also picking the players that were signed. I don't believe this is the case, did he discuss things with Neilson and Cathro? 100% but I believe that they were given autonomy to conduct first team affairs as they saw fit with advise given when requested. 

Therefore, I think Levein deserves January to try and fix the mess he's been left with. I genuinely think he put too much trust in both Neilson and Cathro to sign the sorts of players required. The ridiculously high turnover of staff (IMO) should highlight their inexperience in managing players. They signed players they thought they needed and got rid of players they thought they didn't need - Who gets rid of crucial first team players without back ups ready to sign/have already signed? - rookies!

We have the foundations of a good team. Isma and Lafferty are goal scoring strikers. Berra is a 'true' captain and McLaughlin seems a solid enough keeper. Sorting out the midfield in January will make us a completely different team going into Feb. (Just lets hope its not Cathro's version of different :sick:)  

Good post. Particularly the bit in bold.

I thought we got off to a decent start with him in charge but injuries in midfield killed us and the football/results have been grim for weeks now.  Hopefully, with Djoum, Cowie and Walker back we'll start to turn it around and signing a left back might give us a bit of balance.  I'm confident that we will turn it around but I'm equally confident that if if we don't he will be gone. 

3 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

He's a Hearts legend who's been with us over twenty years as player, manager and dof. 

He deserves time, if anything to fix the cathro mess he's overseen.

The way some Hearts fans talk about Hearts players such as Robbie and cl is horrendous.

Not fitting for a Hearts forum in all honesty, party planners would be more apt.

The way some Hearts fans talk about Hearts legends like Gary Mackay and cup winning captain Steven Pressley is also horrendous eh?

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

He’ll fine we’ll know he needs to start winning....I hope.

But he hasn’t helped himself in the last 4 matches with team selection and decisions which has brought into question as to whether he’s losing the knack or ability as a manager?

Like many I am a CL admirer for his past as a player and decent first spell as a manager at Hearts.

But I’m starting to wonder about him myself...like many.

What was wrong with Sunday's team selection? I was perplexed with the double sub but I thought our set up was positive.

3 hours ago, Ryder said:

I would say he deserves longer than two weeks of a summer transfer window to build his own team. As has been pointed out before, he was not the man who picked Cathro and Robbie’s signings for them.

It has been pointed out in this thread that he did pick some signings.

7 minutes ago, Gambo said:

It has been pointed out in this thread that he did pick some signings.

It’s frustrating speaking to you about this topic. You are clearly a reasonable poster on most subjects, but this topic is pointless to discuss with you. You are already so blinded with hatred for him.

9 minutes ago, Ryder said:

It’s frustrating speaking to you about this topic. You are clearly a reasonable poster on most subjects, but this topic is pointless to discuss with you. You are already so blinded with hatred for him.

Did you mean to say my hatred of his style of play?

That is not blind, that is what we have to witness on the park.

23 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

What was wrong with Sunday's team selection? I was perplexed with the double sub but I thought our set up was positive.

Sorry, I really meant the previous 3 , but as I said, decisions too and as you point out with the substitutions.

i wish jj was my dad
6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Sorry, I really meant the previous 3 , but as I said, decisions too and as you point out with the substitutions.

Gotcha but I'm not sure that the set up is letting us down. For me the midfield has been shite. Fix that and we are a decent side.

Archived