Billy Davies was right

Sten Guns

11 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

You're all over the place.

If BD was right, and if Cl had said, ''sure, Billy you slavering walloper, I'll step aside, you're manager'', he would now be managing us. So by saying BD was right, you are in effect saying he should be manager.

Was the structure/CL the problem in the Neilson years?

Not a great argument! If Billy Davies actually said what he has supposed to have said about the structure at Hearts, he was right! However, I don't get the correlation between him (perhaps) being right and anyone wanting him to be manager. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Forget Davies. You say give Levein a year what is going on with your eyesight man. You just like the man don't you even though he's out of his depth. Look at his record no wait don't it's too depressing. 

There is nothing wrong with my eyesight, nor indeed my memory. I happen to have a different opinion from you...man

Cathro was horrific. Leveins fault for appointing him.   If we get rid of Levein and the new incumbant has the same players to work with I wouldn't expect much different. Football fans are far too knee jerky. He needs an opportunity to fix it. I beleive he will get that opportunity and hope that he succeeds. 

Everything since Levein came in goes trough Levein. Everything. Robbie wants a left back. He chaps Leveins door and goes “Craig we need a left back” and he goes “I will get you one”. Levein then goes on the computer or uses his contacts and provides said left back. Jamie Walker wants a new contract he goes to his agent “I want a better deal”. His agent then calls up Levein and goes “Jamie wants a better deal”. Levein then decides if he gets one or no. Levein decides, wither it be with the coaches or by himself, what the style of play should be. He dictates the set up from youth level to the first team. Levein controls everything. Billy Davies, love him or hate him, merely pointed out that, in his opinion, that model wouldn’t work for the type of manager we where looking for at the time. We are now half way through our 3rd season back in the top flight. For me, so far, we are just about 50/50 in terms of success for our model. Championship season and first half of our first season back where a success. The 2nd half of the season and following season a failure. Our current form and performances, for me, now tip the balance 60/40 in terms of success as we are slowly slipping down the league. The OP is correct to say point out that BD was correct in his assessment. No one can argue that what we are currently seeing is a success. Do or did I want BD as a manager, not a chance. Can I understand what he said, 100%.

Levein is now in Cathro territory for me. He can not salvage this. We are now one draw or defeat away from crisis and calls for him to go. That effects the players more than many like to admit. No one wants to work in a place with that type of environment, it’s horrible. Last seasons winter break was meant to salvage our season and it failed miserably. This summer was supposed to fix the problems from last year, it made it worse. Levein coming in was meant to steady the ship and get us back on course, it’s currently failing. We’ve had no new manager bounce and what’s more clawing for me is that County have Coyle and killie have brought in Clarke, both I’d have been delighted to have seen at tynie.  We are in real trouble of not making the top six and that really worries me. 

21 minutes ago, Jocam2325 said:

There is nothing wrong with my eyesight, nor indeed my memory. I happen to have a different opinion from you...man

Cathro was horrific. Leveins fault for appointing him.   If we get rid of Levein and the new incumbant has the same players to work with I wouldn't expect much different. Football fans are far too knee jerky. He needs an opportunity to fix it. I beleive he will get that opportunity and hope that he succeeds. 

Don't see why people are getting so uptight

It ahs been made clear that CL is building the club from the base up again

From the Academy restructure - with these players being bled into the first team

It takes time, quite some time to organically grow a team from the youth ranks into the first team

BUt once its working it provides stability

patience

Billy Davis is right.....

Never ever thought I would hear some one say that.

Glad he is not at Tynecastle in any capacity 

She added: "I began getting off with Tommy, lying on him, and I could feel Billy's hands on my back. I then knew that Billy wasn't just going to watch. He was going to take an active part in it.

"I then had sex with them both. I was quite turned on by it, so I was completely willing. Billy and I had sex for a longer period than me and Tommy.

Staying power. 

4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

I never said the same about Cathro at all. I was willing to give him time but it came clear he was out of his depth. 

Levein has a track history of success with us, Dundee United and Cowdebeath. Something Cathro never had. 

He deserves the benifit of the doubt ffs. If we are in same position this time next year I will hold my hands up and admit I am wrong.  

You can't give a manager more time when it's obvious he can't do the job. I made my mind up about Cathro way back in early March and was calling for him to go. Levein has to go and not forgetting he never wanted the job in the first place, he only took it when Jon Daly was not considered by Ann Budge for having no experience. Can't you see our team is a shambles and Levein is way out of touch with his signngs. Please tell me what you disagree with in this post and remember i'm never wrong. Lol.

12 hours ago, mitch41 said:

You can't give a manager more time when it's obvious he can't do the job. I made my mind up about Cathro way back in early March and was calling for him to go. Levein has to go and not forgetting he never wanted the job in the first place, he only took it when Jon Daly was not considered by Ann Budge for having no experience. Can't you see our team is a shambles and Levein is way out of touch with his signngs. Please tell me what you disagree with in this post and remember i'm never wrong. Lol.

Mitch, I think AB's desire for Hearts to be a nice club has rubbed off on a significant number of posters who view everything to do

with the club through very rose tinted specs with AB and/or CL being beyond criticism! 

56 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Mitch, I think AB's desire for Hearts to be a nice club has rubbed off on a significant number of posters who view everything to do

with the club through very rose tinted specs with AB and/or CL being beyond criticism! 

More negative tosh.  

17 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Don't see why people are getting so uptight

It ahs been made clear that CL is building the club from the base up again

From the Academy restructure - with these players being bled into the first team

It takes time, quite some time to organically grow a team from the youth ranks into the first team

BUt once its working it provides stability

patience

Spot On

20 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

How can so many people miss the point of the OP entirely.

1. We DO NOT want Billy Davies as a manager (although he'd be better than the manager we do have)

2. Billy Davies, no matter what you think of the odious wee prick, was correct in that we need to change the structure. I believe by that he primarily meant we need to get rid of Levein or shut him in a cupboard dealing with paperwork if we want an experienced manager to work with the team day to day.

Its no difficult lads.

Does anyone ever consider that the Youth academy is part of the structure and is showing great signs of providing a conveyer belt of talent??  One bad management appointment does not make everything wrong.  Jeez.

34 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Does anyone ever consider that the Youth academy is part of the structure and is showing great signs of providing a conveyer belt of talent??  One bad management appointment does not make everything wrong.  Jeez.

No one is saying everything is wrong. If folk want Levein to head up the academy I'd have no issue with that. Its the one aspect of his role that's looking like it might work out, although we've yet to see anything concrete coming out of it in terms players who are able to be first picks. Brandon was very impressive the other day and it shows you what a run in the team can do for a young lad. Got no real complaints about Levein from the development point of view as its clearly going to take time to start really producing again. Not sure its entirely populated by the right coaches but its certainly getting there.

Billy Davies was quite specific in that an experienced manager could not work under the structure dominated in every aspect by a DOF of Levein's stature. We cant go back to that. Its dead in the water. The wheels came off it and it failed. I don't know what the feck process we went through which, dismissed a raft of good experienced candidates and  arrived at Levein as being the best man for the job. It certainly wasn't because he was actually  'the best man for the job' IMO.

He is right, as are the pundits on Sportsound, eg  Alan Preston. 

Craig will no doubt get some time yet, and its quite possible he will remain afterwards as director of football.

But my main worry is he is still this defensive strategist, and we need a more gutsy approach.

It would take a massive protest from the fans to change this setup.  We always knew it was 2 set in stone"

for the next few years.  Ann doesn't like to change the basic setup, and may not be able to make the changes required.

These are just my own views, and may have little bearing on any outcome

2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Take it you don't go to games? You don't see any issue on the park? What evidence is there we have great youngsters? Some have come in to the team recently but have they looked great? Not slating them btw they all need time just saying everyone seems to be raving about the academy but based on league position and results of U20s not too sure we're way ahead of other teams like some make out.

One bad management decision? Is that all our issues are just now?  So are you not concerned by our recruitment over the last three years?  No pace in squad, no width, no shape, no clue. What do we do in training all week? CL isn't even there mon/tues/wed so leaves it to the rookies to sort out.  All the duds being awarded three year + contracts that have cost us a lot of money. Left back situation. Shall I go on?  Even if Levein is telling the true re giving Cathro full say in signings he certainly won't have let Cathro do the contract negotiations so he has to take the blame for the ridiculous three year deals for Sammon, Osh & Martin.

But hey ho everything is great all CL has done wrong is made one little mistake in terms of Cathro :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Hall said:

Take it you don't go to games? You don't see any issue on the park? What evidence is there we have great youngsters? Some have come in to the team recently but have they looked great? Not slating them btw they all need time just saying everyone seems to be raving about the academy but based on league position and results of U20s not too sure we're way ahead of other teams like some make out.

One bad management decision? Is that all our issues are just now?  So are you not concerned by our recruitment over the last three years?  No pace in squad, no width, no shape, no clue. What do we do in training all week? CL isn't even there mon/tues/wed so leaves it to the rookies to sort out.  All the duds being awarded three year + contracts that have cost us a lot of money. Left back situation. Shall I go on?  Even if Levein is telling the true re giving Cathro full say in signings he certainly won't have let Cathro do the contract negotiations so he has to take the blame for the ridiculous three year deals for Sammon, Osh & Martin.

But hey ho everything is great all CL has done wrong is made one little mistake in terms of Cathro :facepalm:

Our recruitment was good enough to romp the championship also qualify for Europe next season.  We sat 2nd last December before RN left.  Where do you get the 3 years from??  During that 2 year period there was some good signings and some bad signings.  Our problems today are due to decisions made in 2017.  Yes recruitment from now has to improve particularly at LB, wide and CM.  As for evidence of youth academy I will reverse your question, Do YOU actually go to games?

3 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Not one of the young players in the squad from the academy are anywhere near ready to be near the first team. The only reason they are in the squad or starting is so that CL can use 'slight of hand' to convince 'happy clappers'  like you that everything is fine...it isn't! 

3 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Not one of the young players in the squad from the academy are anywhere near ready to be near the first team. The only reason they are in the squad or starting is so that CL can use 'slight of hand' to convince 'happy clappers'  like you that everything is fine...it isn't! 

The evidence is there from the academy- we have a few kids now playing regularly for the first team- that's what all fans want is it not?

And they have not looked out of place.

and they have certainly been better than the gash cathro signed

9 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

MOTM on Sunday makes your statement look as foolish as it is.  Fed up with Roasters like you who see doomsday in everything.  

13 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

The evidence is there from the academy- we have a few kids now playing regularly for the first team- that's what all fans want is it not?

And they have not looked out of place.

and they have certainly been better than the gash cathro signed

Previous failing regimes at Tynecastle have also played the Youth Policy card to buy themselves some time and then dropped it just as quickly.

38 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Our recruitment was good enough to romp the championship also qualify for Europe next season.  We sat 2nd last December before RN left.  Where do you get the 3 years from??  During that 2 year period there was some good signings and some bad signings.  Our problems today are due to decisions made in 2017.  Yes recruitment from now has to improve particularly at LB, wide and CM.  As for evidence of youth academy I will reverse your question, Do YOU actually go to games?

14 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

MOTM on Sunday makes your statement look as foolish as it is.  Fed up with Roasters like you who see doomsday in everything.  

Brandon was my MOTM Sunday also, thought he had a great game but one game out of how many? Think you're easily pleased. Whilst I never want to criticise the youth players one of them having one good game hardly means we  have a great youth team/setup. Just because people don't agree with you doesn't make them roasters!!

30 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

FYI Brandon was not a product of our academy! 

44 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Our championship side would pump the current team so agree we got it right then, so I will give you that one not 3 years but 2!  Out of the 49 players we have signed in the last 3 windows how many have been a success? Not many, 10-15% max! The DOF role is supposed to bring continuity yet we have none, if we did we would not have had this ridiculously high turnover of players for a start.

The same coaches are training the players now as when Cathro was there and as per my previous post is CL trying to do too much? Still performing DOF role as well as manager and everyone seems to be giving him credit for the academy 'success' so he apparently has a big role in that too (even though we have a director of the academy). Another issue I have is he doesn't see the players mon/tues/wed or coach them etc. as he leaves that to the rookies who were there under our horrific form under Cathro. Looking at what we are doing on the pitch right now either the players are not doing as they are told on match days or they are not being coached well as they are all over the place.  No excuses for playing Laff way out wide left at Murrayfield 3 games in a row and hoofing the ball to him with Isma standing 50 yards away, that's just horrific tactics from CL. 

Problems today not all from 2017, 3 year deals were handed out to 3 duds by CL, only one of them was handed out this year. 

"Yes recruitment from now has to improve particularly at LB, wide and CM" - CL signed a CM just a couple of months ago the box to box player we so needed! Again as much as I want him to do well he's looking like another poor signing!

Bazzas right boot

1st

3rd

5th

Cl is holding us back, oh wait we have improved since he was dof,so that's shite.

Taking billy Davies over cl on anything is honking

Whether people like it or not, the OP makes a valid point about the structure of the club.

However, I’m not sure if you put a poll up whether many people would want Billy Davies as a manager. 

There me are a hard core of fans on here who have swallowed the pill and believe that CL is the man to turn it round. 

As it stands we are getting the boot room via the back door. It’s well documented that CL has stated he’s not getting the players until Thursday so we’ve got Daly, MacPhee and Fox taking the players until then. That didn’t happen with RN and IC. 

The point that Davies made was that he couldn’t work within the structure that was in place and that is likely to be the same for most experienced managers. 

As far as recruitment is concerned, the figures over player retention says it all. We recruited a team to get us out of the championship, and achieved it at first time of asking. However since then our recruitment has been by enlarge poor. Did we get carried away with the moneyball system because we found one nugget in Sow. We got to Europe as a result of a good first half to the season when we had a couple of strikers scoring goals. After we lost Sow and Juanma sulked, our results took a downward turn.

Our results in the first half of last season were what meant a top 6 finish.

CL will no doubt continue as manager for the foreseeable but let’s make no bones about it, we’re 2 games into a 6 game home run and only taken 1 point from it. These next 4 games are crucial before we have a difficult 4 game stretch in run to new year. We are 7 points ahead of Dundee but the others are not too far off our coattails. What do the CL brigade think will be acceptable from these games and what if these games place us in a precarious position. Will you still believe that CL and the structure at the club is working. 

The boot room model is outdated as they are learning from the man at the top. Arsenal Wenger is a prime example of a manager who hasn’t moved with the times and CL is the same. The tactics are the same, if not worse, as they were 15 years ago. The DOF football doesn’t work at a club our size.

I have no trouble with CL working for the academy and attempting to bring the best talent to Hearts but he is not some football guru who knows better than anyone else. Times have moved on and his football and ideas haven’t.  

Ive gone to games for 40 years and seen some poor teams take the park in a maroon jersey but I’ve never seen one not be prepared to fight and scrap. The apathy and lack of fight in the team is frightening and it worries me that 3 of our next 4 are against teams who will fight to get any sort of result from the game. We’ve got to get some sort of backbone and spirit in there, if not we will be closer to the bottom than top at end of season

22 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

FYI Brandon was not a product of our academy! 

Just because he hasn't been there since he was 10 doesn't mean he isn't an academy product of sorts. We took him off the scrapheap at Rangers 18 months ago and turned him around. 1-0 for the Hearts academy in my book.

6 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

Spot on Bob.

31 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Whether people like it or not, the OP makes a valid point about the structure of the club.

However, I’m not sure if you put a poll up whether many people would want Billy Davies as a manager. 

There me are a hard core of fans on here who have swallowed the pill and believe that CL is the man to turn it round. 

As it stands we are getting the boot room via the back door. It’s well documented that CL has stated he’s not getting the players until Thursday so we’ve got Daly, MacPhee and Fox taking the players until then. That didn’t happen with RN and IC. 

The point that Davies made was that he couldn’t work within the structure that was in place and that is likely to be the same for most experienced managers. 

As far as recruitment is concerned, the figures over player retention says it all. We recruited a team to get us out of the championship, and achieved it at first time of asking. However since then our recruitment has been by enlarge poor. Did we get carried away with the moneyball system because we found one nugget in Sow. We got to Europe as a result of a good first half to the season when we had a couple of strikers scoring goals. After we lost Sow and Juanma sulked, our results took a downward turn.

Our results in the first half of last season were what meant a top 6 finish.

CL will no doubt continue as manager for the foreseeable but let’s make no bones about it, we’re 2 games into a 6 game home run and only taken 1 point from it. These next 4 games are crucial before we have a difficult 4 game stretch in run to new year. We are 7 points ahead of Dundee but the others are not too far off our coattails. What do the CL brigade think will be acceptable from these games and what if these games place us in a precarious position. Will you still believe that CL and the structure at the club is working. 

The boot room model is outdated as they are learning from the man at the top. Arsenal Wenger is a prime example of a manager who hasn’t moved with the times and CL is the same. The tactics are the same, if not worse, as they were 15 years ago. The DOF football doesn’t work at a club our size.

I have no trouble with CL working for the academy and attempting to bring the best talent to Hearts but he is not some football guru who knows better than anyone else. Times have moved on and his football and ideas haven’t.  

Ive gone to games for 40 years and seen some poor teams take the park in a maroon jersey but I’ve never seen one not be prepared to fight and scrap. The apathy and lack of fight in the team is frightening and it worries me that 3 of our next 4 are against teams who will fight to get any sort of result from the game. We’ve got to get some sort of backbone and spirit in there, if not we will be closer to the bottom than top at end of season

:spoton:

On 11/19/2017 at 20:50, Coco said:

We have more first team coaches than first team strikers.  That isn't normal for a football club.

Bayern or Barcelona or numerous other top clubs might disagree with you.

5 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

It actually lists 7 coaches, but anyway...

Those are fitness coaches ... we've got them too ...

1 minute ago, Coco said:

It doesn't matter how many first team strikers you have, if we don't have a coach that knows how to get the ball to them or get the best out of them.

5 minutes ago, Coco said:

Who are all the other non-playing staff in the first team photo? 

58690268.jpg?t=1509365853000

More 'coaches' than players.

Something must be wrong with their structure, I'm sure BD wouldn't consider working there either. 

Now before someone jumps in and say's we are not Barcelona, well obviously. My point being, instead of getting in a 'rage' about the number of coaches we may have, maybe look around a bit. Not every club now has just a manager and assistant, plus the 'sponge' man. We don't have enough coaches (in any sport) in this country. Having a couple more coaches in our club can't be a bad thing. Especially if they are good coaches. (Now comes everyone saying the ones we have are't any good....) (which may be true)

2 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

Are we back on the too many coaches pish?! lol ffs

All the goodness is being coached out of the players.

14 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Who are all the other non-playing staff in the first team photo? 

58690268.jpg?t=1509365853000

More 'coaches' than players.

Something must be wrong with their structure, I'm sure BD wouldn't consider working there either. 

Now before someone jumps in and say's we are not Barcelona, well obviously. My point being, instead of getting in a 'rage' about the number of coaches we may have, maybe look around a bit. Not every club now has just a manager and assistant, plus the 'sponge' man. We don't have enough coaches (in any sport) in this country. Having a couple more coaches in our club can't be a bad thing. Especially if they are good coaches. (Now comes everyone saying the ones we have are't any good....) (which may be true)

At our level it is the quality of player which makes all the difference.  Our squad of coaches could coach Smith for the next 10 years but he'll never be as good as Paterson.  And at a small club like Hearts Liam Fox is taking the wage which could be spent on another striker. 

Outside of our main 2 we have a guy punted on from non league football and some youth team players.  Could Liam Fox's wage be better used to sign another striker -  someone in the vein of Doolan?  100 goals for Partick! Someone like that could give us an option.

I agree that Billy Davies was right...........

If he simply stated "See me, I'm an obnoxious wee welt"

On 11/19/2017 at 18:30, Sten Guns said:

Billy Davies may well be an unsavoury, unlikeable welt. He may well not have been the man for us. But that’s completely irrelevant. He was right. Our structure is quite clearly brutal. It needs an overhaul. The sooner the better. Your opinion of him, no matter how low, shouldn’t blinker you from the truth. It’s blindingly obvious.

His quote in full;

“I spoke to Hearts, looked at their structure and gave them a clear plan on how to alter it to improve the club.

“It appears they are not ready to make the internal changes required to achieve greater success.

“It seems to me they just want to change the figure head.

“It’s my belief just changing the manager will not achieve what’s required for success.”

But Levein was brought in to overhaul the whole system was he not. He got rid of the best Coach we had at the Club in Jack Ross for what exact reason I don't know I have only heard rumours so don't know for sure.

It does seem to me however that Jack is his own man and not a yes man like the other coaches we have currently so until such times as we rid ourselves of the DOF/Coach then we just have to continue with the same old fayre.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of excuses Levein can come up with and folk still think he is doing a great job.

First it was we had too many injuries and were forced to play youngsters.

Then the players were missing Tynecastle.

Then it's the officials fault for missing offside and hand ball.

I wonder what it will be next now that we are back at Tynecastle and have most of our injured players back fit.

One thing we can guarantee is it will not be Levein's fault if we fail again to beat Ross Co, Hamilton etc.

21 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Genuine question mate:

How have the club responded to your concerns?

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
On 19/11/2017 at 18:41, Sten Guns said:

Who said he should be manager like? 

:lol:

The point is the problem with Levein / structure. 

:facepalm:

You actually typed 'like'? 

Oh dear. 

?

3 hours ago, jambogemz said:

Genuine question mate:

How have the club responded to your concerns?

No pay off for Levein he says he's a Hearts man well he goes back to DOF without any control over a new manager & first team. The new manager answers

Soley to the owner. The new manager has total control over first team affairs including player sales and  buys .

4 hours ago, a11ank said:

Unbelievable thread. Just no!

It's not unbelievable Davies was right. Nobody would want him as a manager but just because fans in general don't like Davies he is right about the Hearts management/coaching set-up.

This bootroom system just doesn't work. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Most pointless thread ever, since nobody knows what Billy Davies said was wrong or how he was going to correct things and make Hearts amazing without a pot to piss in whilst our new stand is paid off.

There are simply no facts to debate. 

Nelly Terraces

Couldn't give a shiny shite what Billy Davies thinks. What I do know is that watching Hearts is dull as dishwater, our style of play is fecking gash & our coaching team seem like a bunch of clowns running round pretending they know what they're doing. We brought back a bloke sacked by Cowdenbeath into our coaching staff. Says it all. It's what leads to losing to teams such as Peterhead & Dunfermline (just a wee reminder to those of you with short memories clutching at straws that things will get better.).

19 hours ago, Hall said:

Brandon was my MOTM Sunday also, thought he had a great game but one game out of how many? Think you're easily pleased. Whilst I never want to criticise the youth players one of them having one good game hardly means we  have a great youth team/setup. Just because people don't agree with you doesn't make them roasters!!

The roasters comment is a response to this 'Happy Clappers' crap that keeps getting spewed out.  Nobody is happy with the current team but some of us can see the bigger picture.

Have skimmed through the thread so dunno if this has been said already.

Davies later clarified his comments. He said he was NOT talking about Levein needing to go. He was happy for Levein to stay as director of football.

He wanted MacPhee and Liam Fox to go. Try and get your facts right.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/billy-davies-i-wanted-austin-macphee-to-go-but-hearts-job-beneath-me-1-4555407

On 20/11/2017 at 18:35, mitch41 said:

Its far from obvious that CL cant do the job. CL hasn’t made any signings. The team has improved, but we are still not doing great. We need to see how things are after the summer before we can properly judge CL.

It was easy to call out a rookie manager for not being ready to do the job. CL has a successful track record which merits giving him time to sort things out.

If you are right about CL being totally responsible for all signings.... what credit does he get for the Championship season?  

• JKBMod 3 locked this topic

Archived