Billy Davies was right

Sten Guns

4 minutes ago, Texia said:

Which I think is the real problem, not Levein but that the coaches are all ****ing shite. 

This modern terminology about a "coach. What is it they are coaching? I doubt there is any "coach" out there who  could teach Aaron Hughes anything for example. Coaches teach kids how to trap or head a ball. At first team level  a manager picks the team and formalises the tactics. So the buck stops with the guy who picks the team and, presumably, decides on training formats etc although his assistants may well take the sessions.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

He is out of his depth. This bootroom system worked at Liverpool from the 1960's till the 80's but it had exceptionable backroom staff which no club has ever been able to copy. Ann Budge really needs to get a grip and employ a manager who knows what he is doing. We have signed players that are useless, we are sending out teams that play like an unorganised shambles which will drive fans away and make our better players want to leave.

I see no way how he can be descibed as out his depth. He is vastly experienced. I get that many don't like his style of play and many don't like him generally and I have no issue with that. As I have said on other threads. I would be happy to afford him next two transfer windows and if no improvement then would be the right time.   Levein says he never signed the "useless" players and that Cathro wanted his own way. I hope that is the case. But levein is there to fix it and I trust in time he will. You don't agree, no bother. 

3 minutes ago, Jocam2325 said:

It is a criteria for a football manager, absolutely. Levein needs given time to turn things round. If we are still as gash as this in a years time there will be no debate, nowhere to hide and I trust that he would do the right thing before he was sacked. After all, according to most on here, he doesn't want to do the job anyway, so surely it will be an easy decision for him to walk.   But Billy Davis, come on... He is orrible. 

Another couple of defeats and Levein will be out the door imo. He won't get a year unless there is a dramatic upturn in results and performances.  Franck Sauzee lasted 69 days at Hibs despite his status as a player, because of results.

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Another couple of defeats and Levein will be out the door imo. He won't get a year unless there is a dramatic upturn in results and performances.  Franck Sauzee lasted 69 days at Hibs despite his status as a player, because of results.

I disagree. He will be here pre season almost regardless. Happy to donate £20 to JKB if wrong so long as you are likeminded. 

1 hour ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Levein being the issue is debatable, but what the feck do the other numerous coaches do with the players week in week out. Remember according to Levein he doesn’t “get” the players until 2 days before the game!!

Indeed.

Someone made a decent point that once damage is done it’s irreparable when trying to use the same tools.

The players are still seeing the same faces on the training park they were under IC.

There may well have been some tweaks since Levein took over but you start to feel they are all chipped off the same Cathro block.

37 minutes ago, Jocam2325 said:

I'm sorry is Levein not an experienced manager. Just coz you don't like him does not mean he has no experience!

You seem to be missing the point. Yes, Levein is an experienced manager. He is however, the only manager that works in this set up. Basically because it’s his own. That’s how we’ve ended up in this situation. The set up does not allow us to bring in an experienced manager who’s not Levein. Unless they’re happy to not bring in any of their own men and work with the current coaches.  Also, I don’t think at any point I said I disliked Levein.

35 minutes ago, Jocam2325 said:

It is a criteria for a football manager, absolutely. Levein needs given time to turn things round. If we are still as gash as this in a years time there will be no debate, nowhere to hide and I trust that he would do the right thing before he was sacked. After all, according to most on here, he doesn't want to do the job anyway, so surely it will be an easy decision for him to walk.   But Billy Davis, come on... He is orrible. 

What signs have you seen that we are in any way better since his appointment? Not even a dead cat bounce since him taking over from Cathro. If he really was any good we would be fighting tooth and nail for every ball.

He is as much a Dud as a Manager as the Duds he has signed.

1 minute ago, gowestjambo said:

What signs have you seen that we are in any way better since his appointment? Not even a dead cat bounce since him taking over from Cathro. If he really was any good we would be fighting tooth and nail for every ball.

He is as much a Dud as a Manager as the Duds he has signed.

I just don’t think Levein will be hurting after the last two matches both of which I would have expected us to win.

27 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Indeed.

Someone made a decent point that once damage is done it’s irreparable when trying to use the same tools.

The players are still seeing the same faces on the training park they were under IC.

There may well have been some tweaks since Levein took over but you start to feel they are all chipped off the same Cathro block.

I would love to think all the blame lies at Cathro's door. However, I do not believe for one minute that the DoF handed over responsibility for the awful signings to a novice coach.

And if it is true he spends merely two days, then that shows the coaches are not up to the job. We had two weeks to prepare for todays game, and turned in another pedestrian display. Where is the passion, fight and urgency???

The 5 year plan is in ruins, and Ann Budge needs to empty the lot and start again. There is no evidence to suggest there is any improvement whatsoever. 

2 hours ago, Sten Guns said:

Billy Davies may well be an unsavoury, unlikeable welt. He may well not have been the man for us. But that’s completely irrelevant. He was right. Our structure is quite clearly brutal. It needs an overhaul. The sooner the better. Your opinion of him, no matter how low, shouldn’t blinker you from the truth. It’s blindingly obvious.

His quote in full;

“I spoke to Hearts, looked at their structure and gave them a clear plan on how to alter it to improve the club.

“It appears they are not ready to make the internal changes required to achieve greater success.

“It seems to me they just want to change the figure head.

“It’s my belief just changing the manager will not achieve what’s required for success.”

Hi Billy, are you on a night out with Tommy ???????

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Billy Davis is a prick and I would rather be in the bottom six with Levein in charge than that rat face ****er. 

Couldnt put it better

41 minutes ago, Coco said:

We have more first team coaches than first team strikers.  That isn't normal for a football club.

As much as i dislike Billy Davies as a person,he was probably correct, when he said he  wanted the backroom staff emptied.

1 hour ago, Jocam2325 said:

I see no way how he can be descibed as out his depth. He is vastly experienced. I get that many don't like his style of play and many don't like him generally and I have no issue with that. As I have said on other threads. I would be happy to afford him next two transfer windows and if no improvement then would be the right time.   Levein says he never signed the "useless" players and that Cathro wanted his own way. I hope that is the case. But levein is there to fix it and I trust in time he will. You don't agree, no bother. 

Oh here we go again. He's not liked, well i am only judging him on the results of his work. He's that experienced that he never worked as manager since he was sacked by Scotland. Was Jim Duffy experienced Hibs relegated. Willie Ormond Hearts relegated. Terry Butcher Hib relegated. Davie Moyes Sunderland relegated. Need i go on. Did you know Levein only turns up to training on a thursday he leaves the beginning of the week to his lackies. His style of play is zero because there is no style. You give him 2 more transfer windows and he'll ruin our club. He has waisted hundreds of thousands of pounds on players that wouldn't get a game for Cowdenbeath.

You may not know this but we have a manager who didn't want the job after Cathro (another Levein mistake) Levein wanted Jon Daly and after Ann Budge announced to the fans that the next manager would be experienced that blew Levein's choice out the window. So Levein had his back to the wall. It woudn't of mattered if the best manager in the UK had applied for the job the whole process of interviews was a sham. Imagine saying to a potential manager you must have McPhee as your assistant, Daly must be your first team coach ect. I'm getting fed up telling this to the few who just can't see the truth. I wouldn't mind Levein going back to DOF but workng under the direction of the person who has the most important job in the whole club THE MANAGER.

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Craig Leveins a PHM. A club player, a manager twice and director of football who helped steer this club back Into the premiership and the 21st century. 

Billy Davis is a ****ing twat. 

Call me blinkered but I didn't see a performance which merits some of the meltdowns which have proceeded it on here. Bit of bad defending late on aside and we would have won the game today. 

More positives than negatives Imo. 

We are heading In the right direction. Plenty to play for now we have a run of home games. 

Agreed.

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He got the job because he was the cheap, easy option. Provided FOH donations continue and walk ups are reasonable enough, he will remain. They already have the ST money and assume we can see the "long term strategy"/x year plan. 

2 hours ago, ford donald said:

As much as i dislike Billy Davies as a person,he was probably correct, when he said he  wanted the backroom staff emptied.

Pretty much every experienced manager would bring in their trusted people. Our stance closed the door to everyone except the most desperate.  

2 hours ago, Coco said:

We have more first team coaches than first team strikers.  That isn't normal for a football club.

This isn't a normal football club. 

Hearts couldn’t afford the regime change that Billy Davies wanted - simple.

The system that is in place won us the championship and got us out of there at the first time of asking ahead of hibs and rangers. 

Robbie off the back of that got an opportunity too good to turn down and so we went for one of the most promising coaches in the uk (apparently) in the hope of sustaining the system and improving it. It didn’t work as the spl is a very tough league still for 10 of the 12 teams in it - anyone can beat anyone on their day.

CL may not want the job but has taken it at a time when the club must be frugal in the transfer market and build from within - coaches / youth players. I fully believe we will strengthen in January if we can move on surplus players first. CL deserves the chance to shape the squad and see out the season and will get that.

There is a fickle nature about our support who seem to think that throwing money at the problem is the answer - it’s not. There is not enough to go around at this great club especially while we redevelop - AB has told us before that we must cut our cloth accordingly and she believes in what CL and the coaches are doing.

I wouldn’t say I’m happy with the play at the moment but I also believe in giving the man time to resolve it. CL has done a great job for Hearts in the past; more than a lot of people who are calling for his head now.

Can't see any evidence of any successful regime built to last by Billy Davies anywhere.  Aye he has done well briefly at a couple of clubs but he soon moves on because his ego is bigger than his talent.

He has nothing to say that is relevant to us.

10 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Oh here we go again. He's not liked, well i am only judging him on the results of his work. He's that experienced that he never worked as manager since he was sacked by Scotland. Was Jim Duffy experienced Hibs relegated. Willie Ormond Hearts relegated. Terry Butcher Hib relegated. Davie Moyes Sunderland relegated. Need i go on. Did you know Levein only turns up to training on a thursday he leaves the beginning of the week to his lackies. His style of play is zero because there is no style. You give him 2 more transfer windows and he'll ruin our club. He has waisted hundreds of thousands of pounds on players that wouldn't get a game for Cowdenbeath.

You may not know this but we have a manager who didn't want the job after Cathro (another Levein mistake) Levein wanted Jon Daly and after Ann Budge announced to the fans that the next manager would be experienced that blew Levein's choice out the window. So Levein had his back to the wall. It woudn't of mattered if the best manager in the UK had applied for the job the whole process of interviews was a sham. Imagine saying to a potential manager you must have McPhee as your assistant, Daly must be your first team coach ect. I'm getting fed up telling this to the few who just can't see the truth. I wouldn't mind Levein going back to DOF but workng under the direction of the person who has the most important job in the whole club THE MANAGER.

All that may be true - but if you can’t afford wholesale change what do you do?!

11 hours ago, Coco said:

No more coaches than  our 2012 cup winning side.

Clubs like Arsenal Chelsea and Liverpool all have more. It's totally normal.

It was sour grapes from tea bag face: he was told he wasn't getting the job so he made out the fault was with Hearts, not Billy Davies.

Unbelievable how we've found ourselves in this situation playing wise. 

We are in danger of completing eradicating the feel good and connection between club and fans which was so powerful during the first couple of Budge years. 

Back then we had people on waiting lists for tickets and now we barely get 17k in what should have been a momentous day in the History of our amazing club. 

Surely Ann must be wondering WTF has happened and how to fix it. Surely!!! 

maroonnicky63
5 hours ago, jambo19 said:

Who is the great Billy Davies currently managing ? 

I think you will find that is irrelevant the OP made a very good point , I don't think he would have been a bad appointment to be honest although he is hard to like at times

13 hours ago, Coco said:

What relevance would the number of coaches have on a teams performance?Players character very much matters we have many players all Internationals in a number of countries who lack grit and until that changes we will continue to under perform.

1 hour ago, CBjambo said:

Hearts couldn’t afford the regime change that Billy Davies wanted - simple.

The system that is in place won us the championship and got us out of there at the first time of asking ahead of hibs and rangers. 

Robbie off the back of that got an opportunity too good to turn down and so we went for one of the most promising coaches in the uk (apparently) in the hope of sustaining the system and improving it. It didn’t work as the spl is a very tough league still for 10 of the 12 teams in it - anyone can beat anyone on their day.

CL may not want the job but has taken it at a time when the club must be frugal in the transfer market and build from within - coaches / youth players. I fully believe we will strengthen in January if we can move on surplus players first. CL deserves the chance to shape the squad and see out the season and will get that.

There is a fickle nature about our support who seem to think that throwing money at the problem is the answer - it’s not. There is not enough to go around at this great club especially while we redevelop - AB has told us before that we must cut our cloth accordingly and she believes in what CL and the coaches are doing.

I wouldn’t say I’m happy with the play at the moment but I also believe in giving the man time to resolve it. CL has done a great job for Hearts in the past; more than a lot of people who are calling for his head now.

Can the club really afford to be frugal in January ? You can argue back and forth whether he should get more time etc but under Levein's leadership, this time round, our signing policy has on the whole been haphazard at best and shambolic at worst. We need some quality in January regardless whether we can shift some of the dross or not. It's going to be a tough ask but we need to improve drastically.

1 hour ago, CBjambo said:

All that may be true - but if you can’t afford wholesale change what do you do?!

If Ann Budge wanted money for a quality manager i and i'm sure many others in FOH would up their donations or raise money. Ann would just have to be honest and admit Levein and his bootroom experiment is a mistake. Being true to the team would gain her more respect than continuing with this mistake. 

15 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

I'll be bumping this thread in a few months. 

Absolutely certain Levien gets us back to winning ways. 

Didn't you say the same about Cathro.

Do you know anything about managing a team. Do you think Levein wanted the job. Why do you think Levein took the job. Think about these questions and you might come to the conclusion that Levein and his bootroom is wrong for the Hearts first team.

14 hours ago, Jocam2325 said:

Forget Davies. You say give Levein a year what is going on with your eyesight man. You just like the man don't you even though he's out of his depth. Look at his record no wait don't it's too depressing. 

32 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Forget Davies. You say give Levein a year what is going on with your eyesight man. You just like the man don't you even though he's out of his depth. Look at his record no wait don't it's too depressing. 

Levein's first 10 games in charge are..W3..D3..L4.

Contrast that to Cathro's first 10...W4..D2..L4. ( One of them was an extra time cup game )

Taking the bit in brackets, the exact same start.

Two ways of looking at this.....look at the record on papar and say it's crap but not bad enough to sack someone...or...

We're not any better under Levein than Cathro.

I'll opt for the former as, even though the football is still a grind,  there is a possibility he can turn this round.

I don't like to play the "how long should we stick with him" but for debate purposes, if we don't finish in the top six, the game's up. That gives him till April if we are to play this game.

17 hours ago, Sten Guns said:

Billy Davies may well be an unsavoury, unlikeable welt. He may well not have been the man for us. But that’s completely irrelevant. He was right. Our structure is quite clearly brutal. It needs an overhaul. The sooner the better. Your opinion of him, no matter how low, shouldn’t blinker you from the truth. It’s blindingly obvious.

His quote in full;

“I spoke to Hearts, looked at their structure and gave them a clear plan on how to alter it to improve the club.

“It appears they are not ready to make the internal changes required to achieve greater success.

“It’s my belief just changing the manager will not achieve what’s required for success.”

Definitely interesting. Although changing the structure doesn’t definitely mean CL to go he certainly alludes to that. 

Although it’s not going to happen, I would like  to hear more detail of what BD actually wanted to change. 

15 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

We've played the first team in that run and dropped two points. Can you list your positives to show your reasoning. I'm not having a pop but, for me

Positives. New stand, Brandon, Djoum, Hughes, Milinkovic (first half) nice goal from Isma

Negatives. 2nd to every ball, again. Slow. poor distribution throughout, aimless lumps up the park Very little sign of the Lafferty/Isma partnership working. Callachan, again. 

Strange substitutions, again. 

I wasn't as put out as some by Levein's appointment but I have to say he has not, thus far done anything I thought he would. We're not harder to beat. We're not more combatative or physical. We are weak in the challenge, when we make a challenge and a long way short of where I thought we'd be. I din't think we'd be winning in style but I thought we'd at least be winning

Having said all that I'd rather have Sharon Davies as a manager than Billy Davis

Pretty much where I am!

How can so many people miss the point of the OP entirely.

1. We DO NOT want Billy Davies as a manager (although he'd be better than the manager we do have)

2. Billy Davies, no matter what you think of the odious wee prick, was correct in that we need to change the structure. I believe by that he primarily meant we need to get rid of Levein or shut him in a cupboard dealing with paperwork if we want an experienced manager to work with the team day to day.

Its no difficult lads.

46 minutes ago, Boab said:

Levein's first 10 games in charge are..W3..D3..L4.

Contrast that to Cathro's first 10...W4..D2..L4. ( One of them was an extra time cup game )

Taking the bit in brackets, the exact same start.

Two ways of looking at this.....look at the record on papar and say it's crap but not bad enough to sack someone...or...

We're not any better under Levein than Cathro.

I'll opt for the former as, even though the football is still a grind,  there is a possibility he can turn this round.

I don't like to play the "how long should we stick with him" but for debate purposes, if we don't finish in the top six, the game's up. That gives him till April if we are to play this game.

Other than the Rangers game that would have been the high point of the Cathro/MacPhee time in charge.  Results after that were mostly horrendous.  So the best which can be said of the Levein/MacPhee start is that they are matching the early results of our worst ever management pair.  Hard to believe that results from here could go as poorly as last year though.

Coco, I think that CL's record will be significantly worse in a few weeks time as I can't see us beating

Ross County or Hamilton (who both look much better than Partick) or Motherwell. I can see us

easily losing two (perhaps even three) out of those three. We then play Dundee, which is anyone's guess

and then it's Celtic, St J (A), Hibs and Aberdeen which could easily be 4 defeats on the bounce. 3 year contract,

unbelievable Jeff!

Section G The Place To Be
5 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Coco, I think that CL's record will be significantly worse in a few weeks time as I can't see us beating

Ross County or Hamilton (who both look much better than Partick) or Motherwell. I can see us

easily losing two (perhaps even three) out of those three. We then play Dundee, which is anyone's guess

and then it's Celtic, St J (A), Hibs and Aberdeen which could easily be 4 defeats on the bounce. 3 year contract,

unbelievable Jeff!

Reading that and the realization of what we could be facing come the end of January/February is kicking in and giving me nightmares. I’m genuinely lost for words describing anyone who has faith in CL and this set up in pulling us out the shit and turning things around. I’m utterly gobsmacked any real Hearts fan can be happy or even defensive towards what is happening. Interlopers and morons would best describe them. 

17 hours ago, Heidthebaw said:

Giving every melt in society a platform to voice their opinion wi be the downfall of society. Roasters everywhere.

Indeed

And that includes weegie sex-cases like davies

18 hours ago, Sten Guns said:

His quote in full;

If the above is your argument. Then it's a very flimsy one imho.

Under Levein we aren’t improving but getting worse. Be lucky to avoid relegation with him in charge and this bunch of players.

Club needs a major overhaul. Hopefully we can plug the holes to make it through to the end of the season maintaining our top flight status, and then make sweeping changes in the Summer.

Season is a write off, and without 3 or 4 very good January signings, and a huge slice of luck,  we can forget the Scottish Cup too.

1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

How can so many people miss the point of the OP entirely.

1. We DO NOT want Billy Davies as a manager (although he'd be better than the manager we do have)

2. Billy Davies, no matter what you think of the odious wee prick, was correct in that we need to change the structure. I believe by that he primarily meant we need to get rid of Levein or shut him in a cupboard dealing with paperwork if we want an experienced manager to work with the team day to day.

Its no difficult lads.

You are spot on. The OP doesn't want Davies. All he is saying is that what Davies said was correct. Some people are either deliberatley trying to miss the point or just thick lol.

jack D and coke

Where is this assumption that Levein didn’t and doesn’t want to be Hearts manager again? Are there any facts to back this up? 

3 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Didn't you say the same about Cathro.

Do you know anything about managing a team. Do you think Levein wanted the job. Why do you think Levein took the job. Think about these questions and you might come to the conclusion that Levein and his bootroom is wrong for the Hearts first team.

I never said the same about Cathro at all. I was willing to give him time but it came clear he was out of his depth. 

Levein has a track history of success with us, Dundee United and Cowdebeath. Something Cathro never had. 

He deserves the benifit of the doubt ffs. If we are in same position this time next year I will hold my hands up and admit I am wrong.  

Bridge of Djoum
19 hours ago, Sten Guns said:

His quote in full;

Well, folks. If you're looking for the biggest pile of shite on JKB, congrats! You've arrived.

''Billy Davies was right''

I'll just leave that there.

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

I never said the same about Cathro at all. I was willing to give him time but it came clear he was out of his depth. 

Levein has a track history of success with us, Dundee United and Cowdebeath. Something Cathro never had. 

He deserves the benifit of the doubt ffs. If we are in same position this time next year I will hold my hands up and admit I am wrong.  

I think you might have to throw your hands up much earlier than that. . . like after the next 8 games!!!!!

1 minute ago, bobskeldon said:

I think you might have to throw your hands up much earlier than that. . . like after the next 8 games!!!!!

Doubt it. We will see. 

Ann budge will give him time. Plenty time

Something most managers need yet rarely if ever get the luxury of In the modern game. 

Look at Aberdeen. McInnes never had Aberdeen flying right away but slowly built a team and got his ideas across and look how well they are doing

Bridge of Djoum
19 hours ago, Sten Guns said:

Who said he should be manager like? 

:lol:

The point is the problem with Levein / structure. 

:facepalm:

You're all over the place.

If BD was right, and if Cl had said, ''sure, Billy you slavering walloper, I'll step aside, you're manager'', he would now be managing us. So by saying BD was right, you are in effect saying he should be manager.

Was the structure/CL the problem in the Neilson years?

5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Doubt it. We will see. 

Ann budge will give him time. Plenty time

Something most managers need yet rarely if ever get the luxury of In the modern game. 

Look at Aberdeen. McInnes never had Aberdeen flying right away but slowly built a team and got his ideas across and look how well they are doing

I think AB will give him time as (in her eyes) CL is the 'man'!   However, the point was the timing of you admitting you were wrong e.g. if we lose seven out our next eight games, which I think we may well do, will you admit you were wrong at that point or does it have to be a calendar year?

• JKBMod 3 locked this topic

Archived