*** Big Hearts Foodbank - Final update

Dagger Is Back

Dagger Is Back

On 25 November, the day of the home game against Ross County, Big Hearts will host a Foodbank Collection in support of the Community One Stop Shop. http://www.coss-broomhouse.org.uk/

The Community One Stop Shop has been assisting the residents of Broomhouse and its surrounding area for over 15 years. In November 2012 they launched the Broomhouse Foodbank which offers free packs of food to families and individuals in crisis.

Supported by donations of non-perishable food, they are able to make a real difference to families living in poverty in the area.

The collection will be held between 130pm and 3pm at Gorgie Dalry Stenhouse Church (Gorgie Road), by the Gorgie Stand entrance, where donations can be handed in to the team of volunteers in attendance.

The following suggested items would be gratefully received;

- Tinned meats i.e stew, chilli, minced beet etc

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup

- Pasta sauces

- Pasta/Rice/Couscous

- Tinned vegetables

- Cereals

- Tinned fish

- Biscuits

- Toiletries

- Tinned beans

Many people find it difficult to support events like this in terms of finding the time to get donations along to a collection point etc so with the agreement of the JKB Board, we’ve set up a donations function to allow people to contribute financially to this worthwhile cause. This will run from now until 9pm on 28 November.

If you’d like to donate, please follow this link http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/clients/donations/ 

The proceeds will be collected and once we have a final amount, the Community One Stop Shop will draw up a shopping list of much needed items.

We’ve approached a local wholesaler who has kindly agreed to provide the items required at as best a price as possible, and this will allow us to maximise the value we are trying to add.

JKB has a long and proud history of supporting many charitable causes and any contribution you can make will be much appreciated.

I’d like to thank the JKB Board for their valued advice and support.

BH.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dagger Is Back

• davemclaren

• Alex

• Tams bird

16 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

On 25 November, the day of the home game against Ross County, Big Hearts will host a Foodbank Collection in support of the Community One Stop Shop. http://www.coss-broomhouse.org.uk/

The Community One Stop Shop has been assisting the residents of Broomhouse and its surrounding area for over 15 years. In November 2012 they launched the Broomhouse Foodbank which offers free packs of food to families and individuals in crisis.

Supported by donations of non-perishable food, they are able to make a real difference to families living in poverty in the area.

The collection will be held between 130pm and 3pm at Gorgie Dalry Stenhouse Church (Gorgie Road), by the Gorgie Stand entrance, where donations can be handed in to the team of volunteers in attendance.

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup

- Pasta sauces

- Pasta/Rice/Couscous

- Tinned vegetables

- Cereals

- Tinned fish

- Biscuits

- Toiletries

- Tinned beans

Many people find it difficult to support events like this in terms of finding the time to get donations along to a collection point etc so with the agreement of the JKB Board, we’ve set up a donations function to allow people to contribute financially to this worthwhile cause. This will run from now until 9pm on 28 November.

If you’d like to donate, please follow this link http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/clients/donations/ 

The proceeds will be collected and once we have a final amount, the Community One Stop Shop will draw up a shopping list of much needed items.

We’ve approached a local wholesaler who has kindly agreed to provide the items required at as best a price as possible, and this will allow us to maximise the value we are trying to add.

JKB has a long and proud history of supporting many charitable causes and any contribution you can make will be much appreciated.

BH.jpg

Now over £200 raised. 

I know DiB put a heck of a lot of effort into making this happen. Hopefully it’s very well supported, and we’re delighted that we can help even in a small way. ?

12 minutes ago, redm said:

I know DiB put a heck of a lot of effort into making this happen. Hopefully it’s very well supported, and we’re delighted that we can help even in a small way. ?

Good on him. 

It's ridiculous we live in an age where foodbanks are required but also warms the heart that so many people are willing to help with things like this.

1 hour ago, redm said:

I'd like to add my thanks to Dagger is Back for his work on this project.  Without his tireless efforts, this food drive would not have happened.  :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup

- Pasta sauces

- Pasta/Rice/Couscous

- Tinned vegetables

- Cereals

- Tinned fish

- Biscuits

- Toiletries

- Tinned beans

BH.jpg

Now £250 raised. ?

Albert Tatlock

A huge amount of donations made to food banks are the cheapest products available ie Smart Price.

Obviously everything is appreciated but if you can, and want to then put in some more decent items.

I am on a low fixed income, but went into Waitrose today and bought stuff on offer and own brand stuff. Got two bag loads for £20.

I bought toiletries such as shower gel, toothpaste and brushes, sanitary products.

Cat food and cat treats.

Kids chocolate Christmas things.

Nice jams, nice biscuits, just nice things.

There is only so much you can do with the very cheapest basics, and to have something extra nice that we take for granted, will mean so so much more to someone who is toiling... Make it Happen

Yo Ho Ho ???

Please folks can you bring some stuff along before the game. It’s hugely appreciated and so important.  Things like soup and pasta dont cost much but mean a lot to many especially in these coming months 

Albert Tatlock

In the scheme of things it may be a couple of pints missed or twenty tabs for doing something decent.

Also, if we had a penny for all the frothing, seething and bitching about the new stand ....Happy Days...

It’s nice to be nice ? 

Last time some people brought along whole trays of soup veg etc. Man had to do more than one Collection  run as couldn’t get it all in the van.

Well done to all involved in organising this event. Giving even a small amount,  can go a long way in providing the basic essentials that those in most need require just to survive day to day.  

Thanks to Dagger for organising and JKB for supporting. I think the donation option is a great addition, like Albert mentioned, I'm never sure whether to go for quantity over quality.

• redm featured this topic

Worthwhile cause and a fantastic response from JKB members. Donated cash as I wont be at the game on Saturday to bring any food donations.

Hi Dagger, great cause and as the logistics of dropping off food are just a wee bit tricky for me, I’ve chipped in, to the tune of my favourite score line ? Very good that you’ve struck a deal with a local wholesaler as it means whatever’s raised will go much further.

PS, I finally had my cataract op on Friday past but, touch wood,  it went very well and I should still make it up for the Motherwell game.

...a bit disco

Chucked in a fiver. It really is a case of 'there but for the grace of God' these days.

All it would take for the wife and I to be reliant on foodbanks ourselves is a tick in the wrong box, an official who doesn't quite get it or an out and out mistake.

Good work Dagger!

:thumbsup:

Dagger Is Back
4 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Hi Dagger, great cause and as the logistics of dropping off food are just a wee bit tricky for me, I’ve chipped in, to the tune of my favourite score line ? Very good that you’ve struck a deal with a local wholesaler as it means whatever’s raised will go much further.

PS, I finally had my cataract op on Friday past but, touch wood,  it went very well and I should still make it up for the Motherwell game.

Thank you buddy. Very generous. Glad all went well with the op. Looking forward to a few pre match beers. You’ll love the new stand!

Dagger Is Back
3 hours ago, ...a bit disco said:

Chucked in a fiver. It really is a case of 'there but for the grace of God' these days.

All it would take for the wife and I to be reliant on foodbanks ourselves is a tick in the wrong box, an official who doesn't quite get it or an out and out mistake.

Good work Dagger!

:thumbsup:

You know I was going to post exactly that last week. There but for the grace of God.

It’s a thin thin line and as incomes continue to be squeezed and prices rise, that line is getting thinner and thinner

Wouldn’t take much to push a lot of family’s closer.

Thanks to you and everyone else for their generosity 

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Now at £795.

Yet another example of the generousity of JKB members.

Well done, everyone who has donated.  :clap:

Is there a way I can donate to the JKB initiative without a Pay Pal account ? Thanks in advance.

57 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Is there a way I can donate to the JKB initiative without a Pay Pal account ? Thanks in advance.

Yes.  You can pay with a credit card.

Click on the "Donations" button at the top of the page, then follow the prompts.  The program will assume that you're paying by PayPal until you get to the actual payment page, then it gives the option of PayPal or credit card.

Thanks for your support.

• redm changed the title to *** Big Hearts Foodbank Collection - Saturday from 1:30 ***