*** Big Hearts Foodbank - Final update

Dagger Is Back

On 16/11/2017 at 20:15, Dagger Is Back said:

On 25 November, the day of the home game against Ross County, Big Hearts will host a Foodbank Collection in support of the Community One Stop Shop. http://www.coss-broomhouse.org.uk/

The Community One Stop Shop has been assisting the residents of Broomhouse and its surrounding area for over 15 years. In November 2012 they launched the Broomhouse Foodbank which offers free packs of food to families and individuals in crisis.

Supported by donations of non-perishable food, they are able to make a real difference to families living in poverty in the area.

The collection will be held between 130pm and 3pm at Gorgie Dalry Stenhouse Church (Gorgie Road), by the Gorgie Stand entrance, where donations can be handed in to the team of volunteers in attendance.

The following suggested items would be gratefully received;

- Tinned meats i.e stew, chilli, minced beet etc

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup

- Pasta sauces

- Pasta/Rice/Couscous

- Tinned vegetables

- Cereals

- Tinned fish

- Biscuits

- Toiletries

- Tinned beans

Many people find it difficult to support events like this in terms of finding the time to get donations along to a collection point etc so with the agreement of the JKB Board, we’ve set up a donations function to allow people to contribute financially to this worthwhile cause. This will run from now until 9pm on 28 November.

If you’d like to donate, please follow this link http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/clients/donations/ 

The proceeds will be collected and once we have a final amount, the Community One Stop Shop will draw up a shopping list of much needed items.

We’ve approached a local wholesaler who has kindly agreed to provide the items required at as best a price as possible, and this will allow us to maximise the value we are trying to add.

JKB has a long and proud history of supporting many charitable causes and any contribution you can make will be much appreciated.

I’d like to thank the JKB Board for their valued advice and support.

BH.jpg

Last day for any final donations. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dagger Is Back

• davemclaren

• Alex

• Tams bird

Dagger Is Back

Over £1600 raised which is a tremendous effort.

The JKB Board have kindly offered to round this up to £1800. We’ll be getting these funds off to COSS next week.

Huge thanks to them and to everyone who contributed to the Foodbank Collection.

• 2 weeks later...
...a bit disco
3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Thanks again to all who supported this initiative and the JKB Board for their support and advice throughout.

As you can see, your donations are making a real difference to those in need.

http://www.bighearts.org.uk/news/foodbank-collection-great-support/

:thumbsup:

Good work mate.

• 10 months later...

I was at "An Evening with Big Hearts" tonight, Carol from Community One Stop Shop was there talking about what a difference both the food and cash donations had made to them last year.  She spoke about how excited the team were when the collection hit £100,  nevermind the final total.  I have to admit I hadn't thought about it, but she explained that although they can apply for grants etc.  it's not possible to apply for a grant to buy food.

Big_Hearts_Runner
26 minutes ago, Alex said:

I was at "An Evening with Big Hearts" tonight, Carol from Community One Stop Shop was there talking about what a difference both the food and cash donations had made to them last year.  She spoke about how excited the team were when the collection hit £100,  nevermind the final total.  I have to admit I hadn't thought about it, but she explained that although they can apply for grants etc.  it's not possible to apply for a grant to buy food.

I was there also, she spoke very well. It was also worth noting that the donations helped them through January which is a very tough month.

Looks like this is on the cards again, potentially for the rangers game but that fixture may be moved if either or both make the league cup final.

Dagger Is Back

Watch this space folks. The board of JKB have once again kindly agreed to support the campaign.

We’re just waiting on a date to be confirmed as it won’t be 2/12. We’ll all be in Glasgow.