The Ashes 2017-2018

JWL

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty evenly balanced but England will take more out of the first day. Going into the series the big question marks have been around the opener, No 3 and No 5 batting spots and all 3 have contributed.

ToadKiller Dog

Enjoyed that, shame Vince chucked away his wicket should have been looking at a 150 at least, but looks that he will do well in Aussie conditions. 

England batted well early if a wee but slow run rate wise. 

Good bowling fight back from Australia. 

Will be a bit more batting friendly if England can survive early overs they could pull away. 

First session tomorrow is crucial. 

Really enjoyed the days play. As much as I like a good run rate that was like proper old school test cricket. Both teams battled well and should be a great game. 

10 hours ago, RDC1 said:

Really enjoyed the days play. As much as I like a good run rate that was like proper old school test cricket. Both teams battled well and should be a great game. 

Exactly what I think.  Frustrated by the rain delay but otherwise a great day's play.

Seemed odd that Cook with all his experience was tentative but all the new guys were positive and assured.

Got high hopes that Woakes will have a brilliant series.

stirlingshirejambo
21 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

50 for Malan. The 3 new boys making me eat my words. 

Yes but none have gone on and scored big

Malan fell for that easy trap set

still a solid start but need 400+ to take advantage of solid but unspectacular innings

moen could kick on

stirlingshirejambo
24 minutes ago, Sharky999 said:

Here comes the England collapse :lol:

In full flow now!!!!!!

was going stay up til lunch but end innings may come first

13 minutes ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

In full flow now!!!!!!

was going stay up til lunch but end innings may come first

Luch may just have been delayed :lol:

stirlingshirejambo

Some catch but I need my bed

dont think I'll be delayed too long by jimmy

plan is set alarm for 5 couple hours watching listening then 10 cups coffee see me through work

lucky I don't need a lot of sleep!!!!

ToadKiller Dog

England have been awful today, the Aussie bowling has been good but not unplayable,

Bairstow isn't a test batsman he is average player. 

stirlingshirejambo
15 minutes ago, Sharky999 said:

Luch may just have been delayed :lol:

12 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

England have been awful today, the Aussie bowling has been good but not unplayable,

Bairstow isn't a test batsman he is average player. 

Decent first hour or so then very poor wickets given away

off too bed

stirlingshirejambo

Today shows why test cricket is the most intriguing enthralling format

England well on top, swung back in Australia's way before a tail end flurry made the match even.

then England great start and Steve Smith has pulled Australia back

If it carries on this close will be a good series.

Good spells for both sides though England's collapse perhaps more of a concern. 

England need a good day tomorrow.

Very worried as day 3 approaches.  Not sure that England can clean up Smith and the middle order.  Not impossible that Oz could have a 200 lead going into day 4 but that's looking on the very pessimistic side.

Hope Broad or Ball can take someone's head off, preferably Starc the loudmouth oaf.

20 hours ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

Yes but none have gone on and scored big

Malan fell for that easy trap set

still a solid start but need 400+ to take advantage of solid but unspectacular innings

moen could kick on

True but given that England went into the match knowing that the opener, 3 and 5 position were all considered very weak and vulnerable I'm encouraged by the fact all 3 scored runs and looked capable. Meanwhile, Australia's equally dodgy selections for opener, 3 and 5 contributed 5, 11 and 14.

stirlingshirejambo

yes but their best batsman is still at crease looking ominous on 64 whereas Root failed

Can all turn in an instant though

Ready for play to begin

Nelly Terraces

Thought when starc bashed that 6 he might get a wee bit carried away - boom, c&b Broad. The new ball could tear this tail apart, hopeully.

stirlingshirejambo

England need to get last wicket quickly as worryingly they look tired in the field

Steve smith reminds me of Scott Brown, irritating, competitive, contemptible but talented and has a winning mentality

The commentary chat is about Cook's position at the top of the order. Clearly there's nobody putting him under major pressure for his place but I think his average over recent series has been flattered by single big scores.

Aw naw!! 2 down. Aussie quicks coming to the fore

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Quality test match so far. Still think england can win this.

Could still go either way and all 3 results still a possibility, the draw unlikely though. Seems to be a bit of concern around Jimmy Anderson; if he's not fit enough to bowl at full pelt, England have a major problem.

ToadKiller Dog

The Australians maybe got 50 runs more than England should have let them, pure grit from the Australians got them a wee lead. 

Still could go anyway. 

Enjoying this a real battle 

Been a cracking, competitive test match so far. Hopefully England don't collapse tonight although sadly I can see this being the outcome. 

ToadKiller Dog

England very poor today, calls for Stokes will be loud and clear. Shame as they were decent first 3 days. 

Understandable also nobody in their middle order who can accelerate their innings. 

Australia going to canter to the target. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

A spineless second innings with bat and ball. Literally just letting Australia knock off this 170.

i understand the calls for stokes but at the end of the day, he’s under police investigation. Would be totally inappropriate to involve him.

England are missing that one bowler with that express pace.

That and not converting when they get a good start. At least the batting aspect can get better.

On 26/11/2017 at 19:16, robbo1874 said:

England are missing that one bowler with that express pace.

That and not converting when they get a good start. At least the batting aspect can get better.

Bobby Ball would be more effective than his namesake Jake!!

Unfortunately, I think the batting aspect is likely to get worse rather than better.

Cook is desperately out of form and Root will be under pressure as skipper.

Stoneman makes scoring look incredibly hard work and Vince reverted to type in the 2nd Innings nicking off to the slips. 

None of England's top 6, Root excepted, seem to be able to score fluently and Moeen's natural flair is nutured by the responsibility of batting at 6.

The absence of Stokes is catastrophic for such a weak English side.

England and Ben Stokes must have got wind of the Police investigation being concluded. Hence him going to New Zealand to play. 

But now the file has gone to the Prosecution Service that will be another delay. 

Can forget about him playing in Ashes now. 

The White Cockade

use to watch Test matches all the time back in the day when they were on BBC

Don't watch much now

Really not the same as it was back then Lillee, Thompson, Chappells, Marsh, Border etc

Knott, Snow, D'Oliveira, Boycott, Willis, Botham, Underwood, Gower, Lamb

Real top players in those days

Couldn't name most of the current mob

I think too much is being made of this pink ball/cooler weather by England, seems to be clutching at straws. Hope it's a bit more competitive though, England need to get something from this one 

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 21:01, The White Cockade said:

Don't watch much now

Really not the same as it was back then Lillee, Thompson, Chappells, Marsh, Border etc

That's probably because you don't watch it?

On 29/11/2017 at 21:01, The White Cockade said:

Don't watch much now

In the current Test team you've got Cook, top England run scorer of all time, Root on target to challenge him as one of the top scorers ever,  Anderson and Broad top 2 England wicket takers of all time. Surprisingly both Bairstow and Broad have actually scored more Test runs than D'Olivera.

I think England test cricket has suffered badly from moving to pay tv and is in danger of disappearing from the wider public attention.

6 minutes ago, RobboM said:

In the current Test team you've got Cook, top England run scorer of all time, Root on target to challenge him as one of the top scorers ever,  Anderson and Broad top 2 England wicket takers of all time. Surprisingly both Bairstow and Broad have actually scored more Test runs than D'Olivera.

I think England test cricket has suffered badly from moving to pay tv and is in danger of disappearing from the wider public attention.

I don't think you can say it has disappeared from public attention; England had their best spell in 20 years from 2005 to 2011. They beat everyone and were number 1 in the world. 

As for Broad and Bairstow, don't forget that the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe (and Kenya?) all have test status now; throw in the fact that the West Indies have been rank rotten for years, it's really no surprise that these guys have outscored previous middle order batsmen.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
25 minutes ago, JWL said:

I don't think you can say it has disappeared from public attention; England had their best spell in 20 years from 2005 to 2011. They beat everyone and were number 1 in the world. 

As for Broad and Bairstow, don't forget that the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe (and Kenya?) all have test status now; throw in the fact that the West Indies have been rank rotten for years, it's really no surprise that these guys have outscored previous middle order batsmen.

Cricket is only really played in public schools, now. Very few, for want of a better phrase, working class kids are playing the sport. Mainly because they don't see it. It will be the next 10 years when they notice it. 

Criminal that it's pay tv.  Same here.

Relying on blind optimism for this next test.  Cook has to give Root something major or England are stuffed imo.

Stokes playing for Canterbury tomorrow.  What a silly boy he is.

1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

Criminal that it's pay tv.  Same here.

Relying on blind optimism for this next test.  Cook has to give Root something major or England are stuffed imo.

Stokes playing for Canterbury tomorrow.  What a silly boy he is.

:facepalm:

8 hours ago, RDC1 said:

England win the toss and bowl first. Interesting decision. 

.... and not really paid off unless the new ball tomorrow rolls over the last 6 wickets quickly

Archived