The Ashes 2017-2018

JWL

Very tight I imagine but Australia to nick it for me.  More importantly, where would anyone recommend for a few early beers on the morning of the first D/N Test starting Sunday 2 December?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see the Aussies destroying England, primarily for the reasons Jonno mentions. All summer the English top order struggled, and that won't fix itself overnight.

can see a whitewash on the cards. Happy to be shown otherwise, but there doesn't seem to be that same team unity that was there in 2010 for example.

The Aussies are as reliant on Warner and Smith as England are on Cook and Root and are currently 5th in the ICC rankings on merit (England currently 3rd). They've drawn in Banglasdesh and lost to South Africa at home early this year, where England comfortably beat S Africa. The Aussie quicks are the threat but Pattinson is ruled out, Hazlewood and Cummings both injury prone and who knows if it will be Mitchel Johnson of the last time or the one before that. England will need 2 of the new(ish) guys to have great tours and hope that Anderson can do something with the kookabura ball.

All to play for .... Ben Stokes might even be cleared of his pending charges and arrive to perform heroics.

27 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

If Stokes gets the go ahead to travel out there, then England have a chance. 

However, the England top order weaknesses on the faster, bouncier pitches out there will most likely be exposed by the Aussie quickies.

If no Stokes, then  I reckon a home win by 4 - 1.

I don't see any drawn tests, as each test these days more often than not produces a winner.

Looking forward to the series.

Totally agree, England really need Stokes. However, The Aussies' batting line up isn't that great either apart from Smith and Warner; and even Warner is vulnerable to a decent pace attack. The question is, can James Anderson deliver the goods down under in that intense heat at the age of 35/36? If he can't and there's no Stokes, it could be another whitewash. Mon The Aussies!

6 minutes ago, RobboM said:

The Aussies are as reliant on Warner and Smith as England are on Cook and Root and are currently 5th in the ICC rankings on merit (England currently 3rd). They've drawn in Banglasdesh and lost to South Africa at home early this year, where England comfortably beat S Africa. The Aussie quicks are the threat but Pattinson is ruled out, Hazlewood and Cummings both injury prone and who knows if it will be Mitchel Johnson of the last time or the one before that. England will need 2 of the new(ish) guys to have great tours and hope that Anderson can do something with the kookabura ball.

All to play for .... Ben Stokes might even be cleared of his pending charges and arrive to perform heroics.

The kookaburra ball is a major factor. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on the Aussie tests against Bangladesh; totally different circumstances to an Ashes series in Australia and SA had a seriously depleted squad against England. Anyway, mon The Aussies!

3 hours ago, RobboM said:

Mitchell Johnson won't be there.  The pace attack will be Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood.  Aussies have problems at #5 and #6, they have an obsession with a batting wicketkeeper, when they just need to find a top quality wicketkeeper who is also decent with the bat.  There isn't a standout all-rounder.  Maxwell has failed too often in test cricket.  England and Australia are pretty evenly matched, ability-wise, but Aussie mentality at home might see them through.

Can't wait. Love the Ashes. 

If not Sky how is everyone watching it?

I'll have to get my Kodi sorted with the right add-on. 

I think England's soft upper middle order will be the key. 

I can't see them suddenly finding form, especially in Oz

Should be a good series though.

michael_bolton

Can't wait for this to get started. Well, more from the second test onwards as I've got exams over the first test so it will pass me by.

Not easy to call, I reckon England will come out siege mentality. Home advantage should do it though.

Sri Lanka next year for the England tour as well. Can't wait.

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

It's on BT Sport 

Oh right. Never realised that. Just assumed still Sky.

Not sure if BT sport  is easier or not to get on Kodi.

Maybe there is another way to get it.

I'll look into it

Cheers

3 hours ago, robbo1874 said:

Oh right. Never realised that. Just assumed still Sky.

Not sure if BT sport  is easier or not to get on Kodi.

Maybe there is another way to get it.

I'll look into it

Cheers

I use SportsMania--£26 for six months.  They have a Kodi addon or you can use their website, either way it's great.

6 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I use SportsMania--£26 for six months.  They have a Kodi addon or you can use their website, either way it's great.

Had it before. Went all tits up for me.

Now see they're charging a lot more apparently?

I'll look into doing a trial again and see what it's like

Cheers ?

Ah are they? Not time for me to renew yet so I hadn't checked the rates lately.  Pity if that's the case--thanks for the info.

48 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Ah are they? Not time for me to renew yet so I hadn't checked the rates lately.  Pity if that's the case--thanks for the info.

Here's link to where I read it

3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Yes, it's now £11pm and you have to pay with bitcoin (not sure what this is myself, but a lot of people seem to dislike it)

Thanks for the info guys, that's really a shame.  Had been a good service even considering their difficulties lately.  I won't be renewing now.

letsalldothebeattie

Can’t wait for the start of this series. Can see only 1 outcome and that’s a Aussies win. I think 4-0 we will see a drawn test somewhere along the way but can see the Aussies sweeping England aside quite comfortably though. 

Englands chances effectively went when Ben Stokes was stopped from going and it now puts a lot of pressure on Anderson & Broad to get the wickets and can see Root & Cook having pressure to get the runs on the board for them as the rest of the side doesn’t look good enough or strong enough to test the Aussies out there 

1 hour ago, JWL said:

Root and Cook both failing against a bunch of part timers earlier today.

Far more importantly Stoneman, Vince, Malan and Ballance all get great starts

1 minute ago, RobboM said:

Far more importantly Stoneman, Vince, Malan and Ballance all get great starts

Good for their confidence certainly, but hardly Thompson and Lillee they were facing.

2 minutes ago, JWL said:

Good for their confidence certainly, but hardly Thompson and Lillee they were facing.

True .... they;ll both be in their late 60s though ;)

• 2 weeks later...

England warm up matches are going very well. Malan and Stoneman both get 100s after England roll out the CA XI for 250. If the Aussies are putting out understrength teams then it's just playing England into form.

Aussie squad announced and it shows they are in similar problems to England in different spots in the squad. 6 players dropped from their last test. Untried opener Bancroft replacing another youngster who has failed to produce. Recalled wicketkeeper Paine who was kept out of the Tasmania side by the guy he's replacing.

It's all bubbling along.  Rooooooooooooooooooot!

On 04/11/2017 at 21:18, jonnothejambo said:

Vince and Ballance won't cut it against the Aussie quicks. They don't have the technique required and on the bouncier pitches out there the keeper and slips will be drooling at the thought of these two out in the middle.

I think Stoneman will establish himself during this tour. 

Looking forward to it but as I said earlier I think the Aussies will win 4-1. Root and Cook must score big and Stokes is a huge loss. Can Anderson deliver in the conditions down under ? I don't think he can. Mind you Australia are no world beaters but I think they will be too strong.

Hope I'm spectacularly wrong, however.

I think Bairstow and Moeen are equally important to England's chances of making big scores.

This Stoneman chap has completely passed me by, but he seems confident at the moment.

...a bit disco

Loving the fact that England have a player called Jakeball.

Not long now. Absolutely buzzing for this. Love The Ashes. 

Going over for the 4th and 5th tests.

Stokes will be a huge miss for England. Hopefully the newer guys in the squad can step up.

On 20/11/2017 at 17:39, ...a bit disco said:

Loving the fact that England have a player called Jakeball.

Wales also have a rugby international named Jake Ball.

...a bit disco
24 minutes ago, Adam Murray said:

Wales also have a rugby international named Jake Ball.

Marvellous name!

Looking forward to this. Love the Ashes 

Think it'll be very tight now I've seen the Australian squad.

Some odd choices

I've still to sort how to watch it.

It's free to view in Australia.

There's something about this England team - a quiet ordinary deternination which is how Joe Root operates. He's backed by some strong characters who will also be looking to make up for Ben Stokes. 

Australia are rightly favourites but they are vulnerable too. To batting collapses and injury. And stupidity. 

England have been preparing well.

2-1 England. 

ToadKiller Dog

Not confident in England's ability to take 20 wickets regularly. 

Aussie pace will do for England's batting if they don't start well . 

Also Englands fortunes will depend on how soon they send for Stokes,knowing England too late. 

At the moment I would favour the Australian side due to home advantage. 

The English cricket ultra cautious Conservative nature is usualy part of their undoing in Oz . 

4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

EE customers getting free offer for 3 months BT sports. Not sure of details or any small print. 

Thanks for that

Girlfriend is with EE 

I'll look into it

scott herbertson
On 17/11/2017 at 10:37, Sharky999 said:

Still shown on free to air telly in Oz. :lol:

In in which case there should be a good chance of streams, which I’ll have to rely on as I don’t have sky, bt or tv here (would be happy to pay just to stream it)

Kennedy Bakircioglu

Looking forward to it tonight. 

Going to stay up and watch the first session. 

Boss not in tomorrow morning. :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

Looking forward to it tonight. 

Going to stay up and watch the first session. 

Boss not in tomorrow morning. :thumbsup:

Can't be the first who tried to kill the bug.

Thought I was in a scene from "The Ring" for a moment. :laugh:

England win the toss and elect to bat first

Strange having it on BT sport and of course the sleep patterns over the next couple of nights will be different.

The general opinion is it's right to bat first but that the first session will be vital..worth staying up to look at that alone.

Pitch may be a bit softer than normal at the start of the match and of course the ball is different from that used in the UK

Lunch and that will do for me. Decent start for England especially as it's the new guys who have settled well.

Aussie quicks not looking too threatning but it's way too early to read much into that other than iit doesn't look a pacey  pitch.

Sheer number of adverts between overs is a pain, I'm missing analysis from Atherton and co.

stirlingshirejambo

Think the game swung a little on that one Lyons over which included the drop .cummins seemed to get spurred on the back of it

Good day so far though

so glad ashes is back

Great having the ashes back

England doing well today. Surprised at Vince - the last time I saw him a few years ago he looked hopeless.

Hoping for a good close series

Archived