Champions League

Morgan

2 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

It's funny watching Celtic get pumped.

But, the  bigger picture is that the same teams keep handing out pumping's to the same teams, big divide in the UCL now. Teams from Belgium, Holland, Denmark, etc have no chance now.

Money is ruining the domestic leagues and the European tournaments.

3-0 is a good result for Celtic, could have been 5+ again easily.:Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

The reason it's funny for the rest of us - apart from the media who seem to be blind to this - is that Celtic genuinely seems to believe they are one of Europe's big guns when as we see every season they are 2nd if not 3rd rate on that stage.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Coburg Hearts
11 minutes ago, Jeffosphere said:

Naeneck

Rumour has it he wants to come back as a giraffe.

58 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

For some reason I thought PSG was worse. Oh well I'll give them a year. I'm not mean.

the psg result was their worst home result ever in europe

Have Barcelona, Bayern, PSG, etc started complaining yet that having to play Celtic holds them back and doesn't prepare their players properly for playing the bigger teams?

alwaysthereinspirit
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Ok. I knew there was something glorious about it. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Could be beaten in a couple of weeks

Sexton Hardcastle

Fantastic performance by Roma. Why they didn't come out like that vs Napoli. Guess the Chelsea tactics suited them.

Dominated them in every area. Shame they could hold on for the win.

Was very impressed with Roma, as I was Napoli (second half) last night. Italian football is definitely on the up, Juve might just have some help in flying the flag in the next couple of seasons.

6 minutes ago, socrates82 said:

I would say the 37m alone Celtic got just for getting to this stage suggests it is. Nevermind the salary comparisons of Bayern players vs Thistle players or the annual transfer expenditure of both teams. That's over 37 times what Thistle got. Did Bayern make 37 times Celtic's CL money last season?

22 shots from Bayern now! 

It's 37m now is it? I've heard figures ranging from 15 to 45, and everything in between.

You're probably right, I'm just not sure how relevant it is once you get to the Bayern, PSG, Madrid etc level. They will always have players whose quality far outweighs Celtic, I mean Anderlecht must get a similar payday for getting there but you wouldn't expect them to really compete with Bayern and PSG.

Champions League winners will be either PSG or Man. City.

Two plastic 'success bought' clubs.

Has to be said Brendan has been a massive success in Scotland and Wales but an abysmal failure everywhere else.

Great to see Celtic thrashed again and I hope we can do the same in December.

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

100% and 2 clubs that are as far removed from their roots as you can get. Totally trainwrecks regarding their traditions. I’d much rather have our identity 

3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Has to be said Brendan has been a massive success in Scotland and Wales but an abysmal failure everywhere else.

Great to see Celtic thrashed again and I hope we can do the same in December.

My granny could be a success with Celtic in Scotland . 

Cairneyhill Jambo
5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

What Champions League team isn't a plastic 'success bought' club?

Just now, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

What Champions League team isn't a plastic 'success bought' club?

Fair point.

3 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

100% and 2 clubs that are as far removed from their roots as you can get. Totally trainwrecks regarding their traditions. I’d much rather have our identity 

How are man city totally removed from their roots....just out of interest?

16 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It's 37m now is it? I've heard figures ranging from 15 to 45, and everything in between.

You're probably right, I'm just not sure how relevant it is once you get to the Bayern, PSG, Madrid etc level. They will always have players whose quality far outweighs Celtic, I mean Anderlecht must get a similar payday for getting there but you wouldn't expect them to really compete with Bayern and PSG.

No idea where I got 37m from actually! Seems be between about 26 and 40m. I take your point but Celtic use the financial gulf as an excuse in Europe but ignore the fact they do the same to clubs in Scotland. No idea if Anderlecht do the same.

Besides it's not just Bayern and PSG. They were hammered by Legia Warsaw, bombed in the Europa League a couple of seasons ago, and have been beaten by Maribor and Gibraltar. Every so often by the law of averages they get a draw against Inter Milan or Man City or someone (and the press pap it up and forget all the other results), but considering how much money Celtic has and the time they have to prepare for Europe their record is dire.

6 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

How are man city totally removed from their roots....just out of interest?

Their CL squad says it all

https://www.mancity.com/news/first-team/first-team-news/2017/september/man-city-champions-league-squad-announced?amp=1

who can identify with any of these players ? City always had some local lads. It’s all about money. Financial Fair Play totally abused (legally I suppose)

same can be said for most in the EPL I suppose, but that’s why I binned SKYSports. It’s a load of shite the game down there as far as I m concerned. I’d rather watch Ross County v ICT than Chelsea v Man City

Footballfirst
10 minutes ago, socrates82 said:

No idea where I got 37m from actually! Seems be between about 26 and 40m. I take your point but Celtic use the financial gulf as an excuse in Europe but ignore the fact they do the same to clubs in Scotland. No idea if Anderlecht do the same.

€2m for coming through the qualifying rounds

€12.7m for participation in the group stages

€14.3m share of the TV pool

€500k per point in the group stages

Plus ticket sales for qualifying and group matches.

Several goal thumpings are now becoming more and more common at the group stage. Making a soulless tournament even less interesting. Time to add an additional qualifying round, reduce number of groups, increase strength of Europa League from the off and remove the shameful safety net for 3rd place losers in the CL. 

...a bit disco

'Broonaldo's' coupon.

DMcqrFKWsAElbq5.jpg

A ****ing joy to behold!

:verysmug:

13 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Several goal thumpings are now becoming more and more common at the group stage. Making a soulless tournament even less interesting. Time to add an additional qualifying round, reduce number of groups, increase strength of Europa League from the off and remove the shameful safety net for 3rd place losers in the CL. 

Just let all these super clubs just fek off to an artificially made island and play each other 20 times a year away from the rest of us. The CL is an absolute disgrace and an embarrassment to be mentioned in the same breath as the once great European Cup. 

I hate the Champions League overall.

Champions League Goals Show however :yas: .

Besiktas top the group with 3 wins out of 3.

:verysmug:

My BT sport was down so listened on the tranny but seems Rodgers was once again clueless on the big stage.

Also, how many Dembele Dollars have been wiped off Dembele's value after this year's showing in the CL? Should have taken one of those £40m offers when they were on the table. Chortle.

10 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

Champions League should be for the champions of each league imo.

1 hour ago, Niemi said:

My BT sport was down so listened on the tranny but seems Rodgers was once again clueless on the big stage.

Also, how many Dembele Dollars have been wiped off Dembele's value after this year's showing in the CL? Should have taken one of those £40m offers when they were on the table. Chortle.

Was going to post this last night as he done nothing when he came on. I know he’s been injured but a 40m player should fit back into the team no probs. 

In saying that that I hope he scores a few on sat 

I have to say under Brenda Celtic have been very poor in the CL, they definitely look easy meat for the big hitters. I think he actually believes they can compete so doesnt adjust their set up to suit. Last night could easly have been 5 or 6 again.

2 minutes ago, VALDOS said:

I have to say under Brenda Celtic have been very poor in the CL, they definitely look easy meat for the big hitters. I think he actually believes they can compete so doesnt adjust their set up to suit. Last night could easly have been 5 or 6 again.

Maybe the one off good game v Man City has fooled him.

I don't accept that they can't set up to defend better just cos they are usually dominant. 

14 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Their CL squad says it all

https://www.mancity.com/news/first-team/first-team-news/2017/september/man-city-champions-league-squad-announced?amp=1

who can identify with any of these players ? City always had some local lads. It’s all about money. Financial Fair Play totally abused (legally I suppose)

same can be said for most in the EPL I suppose, but that’s why I binned SKYSports. It’s a load of shite the game down there as far as I m concerned. I’d rather watch Ross County v ICT than Chelsea v Man City

While I agree about the local players I think City get a lot of unfair criticism by those who don't know the club and just lump then in with Chelsea. As a club they do put the community and Manchester in general at the forefront of their minds. 

3 hours ago, theshed said:

Was going to post this last night as he done nothing when he came on. I know he’s been injured but a 40m player should fit back into the team no probs. 

In saying that that I hope he scores a few on sat 

I hope the thumb bags at least a hatrick. That'll really rip their knitting with him being one of their own and all that!

13 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

While I agree about the local players I think City get a lot of unfair criticism by those who don't know the club and just lump then in with Chelsea. As a club they do put the community and Manchester in general at the forefront of their minds. 

Chelsea do a huge amount of work in the local community and globally through The Chelsea foundation. You can't go anywhere in London at the weekend without bumping into Chelsea coaches working with young kids, free of charge. They send current and ex players to every school in five local Council areas once a year to talk about the importance of sport to health and personal development and the ignorance of racism. The Chelsea owner may seem a bit removed but he attends Stamford Bridge regularly. I don't know a lot about City and the work they do, but I do know the owner attended a game once and only bought the club to try and sanitise the world view of the undemocratic government he and his family help to prop up.

I'm not a Chelsea fan but I do admire the work they do.

6 hours ago, Niemi said:

Well played if intentional.

German media describing Celtic fans as piglets for all the mess they left behind in Munich. Also media coverage of them singing their IRA songs. 

20 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

These are good suggestions

I don't mind the early round second chance in Europa League but the 3rd place entry distorts the tournament

They do need to work to make the Europa League strong though I like it

Not champions league but in the Europa League Arsenal have just taken the lead with a great team move and another overhead kick/flick from Giroud

I agree it needs a revamp.

The first thing I would do is take away the seeding and the not playing a team from your own league.

No way it will happen though.

I think they have changed the format for next season.So if the 4th placed team in England,Spain,Italy and Germany do not have to go into the qualifying round.

Looks like celtic could have an extra round of qualifiers to play.

Must admit though the group sections this year,there has been a lot of brilliant games.

The City v Napoli and Chelsea v Roma outstanding to watch.

Scenes at the Everton match

Fans throwing punches at Lyon players as one of those player melees happens right behind the goal line after Ashley Williams loses his head and somehow escapes being booked or sent off

There could have been or should have been 2 or 3 sent off never mind the incident with the fans

1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

Scenes at the Everton match

Fans throwing punches at Lyon players as one of those player melees happens right behind the goal line after Ashley Williams loses his head and somehow escapes being booked or sent off

There could have been or should have been 2 or 3 sent off never mind the incident with the fans

Surprised to see that from the Everton fans there, very surprised.

EDIT: Just remembered they're from Liverpool, disregard my surprise entirely.

Archived