Random great moments from unspectacular players

RS86

Thought this might make a good thread. What are some great moments you remember from some of our 'less spectacular' players over the years.

One in particular I can remember was playing Rangers at Tynecastle, Neil McFarlane picked the ball up in midfield and was being closed down by two players. Did a quick step-over and then skipped between the two of them, silky bit of skill.

Over to you...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stephane Grappelli

Great thread sir.

Willie Jamieson's last minute rocket against Celtic.  Talk about scenes.

Adrian Boothroyd's slalom run in the Cup.  It was only against Huntly but still a cracker.

Oshaniwa vs god knows who. Wins the ball, beats two men down the main stand side and plays a 1,2 with someone and runs onto the ball 35 yards out, see's his name in the papers already and then just about clears the Gorgie Stand with his effort.

Truly was a beautiful moment

Geoff Kilpatrick

Jose's equaliser against Celtic.

Gary Glen in front of an empty net at Verminville to score as the fans celebrated before the ball crossed the line.

For the love of god don't turn this into another Neilson debate but... Robbie's tackle in the cup final and Robbie's goal in Basle...

Darren Barr's goal in that infamous game

Ozturk!! (Unspectacular maybe a bit harsh, I did like him) 

Fosters cup tie winner at ER.  Can still hear the crowd shouting "oh no, it's wayne" as he ran through on goal..................

16 minutes ago, Prince Obua said:

Lithuanian player Ivaskevicius scoring a nice goal against celtic at Parkhead in a 3-1 win. 

Also scored against Rangers in a 4-2 win. Swear they were the only goals he scored. 

Juho Makela scoring against Barca. 

Janos Balogh diving at Riordan's feet to win the ball when he looked certain to score. 

Gordon Smith's debut at Easter road. 

23 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Fosters cup tie winner at ER.  Can still hear the crowd shouting "oh no, it's wayne" as he ran through on goal..................

I can remember being in the main stand enclosure and fully expected it to land in the Dunbar End when he ran through. Seemed like it rolled in slow motion but the scenes from behind the goal told me it was going in! A beautiful moment!! Funnily enough he scored another cracker at Tynecastle against Rangers the week after in a 2-1 defeat. 

Can’t remeber who it was against but lee Millers strike from 30 yards out that smashed the underside of the crossbar. Thing of beauty

The Canadian guy who played left back in the 90s (Colin ?) . Scored a beaut free kick against Diedco in the cup at Tynecastke. The whole wall jumped and he hit the ball low , into the net. 

34 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

The Winner

Holyrood_Hearts
21 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Can’t remeber who it was against but lee Millers strike from 30 yards out that smashed the underside of the crossbar. Thing of beauty

Think it might have been Killie at Tynecastle? Sure we won 3-0....

23 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Think it was against Killie in a 3-0 win during a run of games where we seemed to play them or Motherwell for about 5 games solid

Holyrood_Hearts

Dennis Wyness goal v Dunfermline was pretty good. Beat 3 or 4 players before scoring. Sure he scored a volley against Rangers too that season? 

21 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The Canadian guy who played left back in the 90s (Colin ?) . Scored a beaut free kick against Diedco in the cup at Tynecastke. The whole wall jumped and he hit the ball low , into the net. 

Colin Millar! He also scored a free kick winner against Motherwell at Fir Park! The most ridiculous free kick award for a pass back I’ve ever seen. Chris McCart sliced it into the air and the keeper caught it. No way was it a pass back in a million years.

4 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Think it might have been Killie at Tynecastle? Sure we won 3-0....

Beat me to it!

he was a good player for us

Bazzas right boot

Big Dave's laudrop esk jaunt and  1-2 in the 4- 2 game. Not an average player but a surprising moment.

He strolled out of defence as he normally did, bypassing two rangers midfielder's, but instead of stopping there he played a 1-2 , hit the byline and cut it back .

Scenes.

Willie v Celtic, he rifled it in from about 30 yards.

Austin v Celtic.

Fozzy on the fence, not for me I was always sure he'd score that....

Jack Hamilton v miller, bad touch, then skinned him!

2 hours ago, Simo said:

Darren Barr's goal in that infamous game

Which infamous game was that?

Neil MacFarlane's raker* against Partick Thistle.

*A slide tackle from less than a yard out.

1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

Beauty. Did mark burchill not do something similar?

That backheel from Bjorn Johnsen against ICT at the beginning of last season to put Nicholson through on goal.

3 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Ha ha .... the ball hit every part of his body on route to goal .... unforgettable !

Geoff the Mince

Another for Willie Jamieson , was behind the goals leaving and you could  make out the ball hurtling towards the top 

Of the goals . The canopy/ netting which blocked the view getting pulled down was fun .

3 hours ago, Jeffosphere said:

Oshaniwa vs god knows who. Wins the ball, beats two men down the main stand side and plays a 1,2 with someone and runs onto the ball 35 yards out, see's his name in the papers already and then just about clears the Gorgie Stand with his effort.

Truly was a beautiful moment

Reminds me of Denis Prychynenko's effort against Celtic in the 2012 semi. That ball's probably orbiting Mars by now!

Lucille's Thirsty

Gordon Smith scored a peach of a volley against the vermin at Easter Road at the FF end.

117.jpg

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Remember Stephen Simmons having a magnificent game vs Rangers and scoring in a 2-2 draw? 

I remember that. Around 01/02 perhaps? So good he was instantly linked to Rangers by the Weega meeja.

rudi must stay

2 hours ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Dennis Wyness goal v Dunfermline was pretty good. Beat 3 or 4 players before scoring. Sure he scored a volley against Rangers too that season? 

He scored the season after in a 1-1 draw at Tynecastle. Clever goal, underrated player Wyness. Totally agree with the suggestion of Austin McCann, never saw that in his locker. The ultimate goal from an unspectacular player, as it was absolutely unsaveable. Even Robbie's goal V Basel the keeper should really have saved

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Remember Stephen Simmons having a magnificent game vs Rangers and scoring in a 2-2 draw? 

Scored a nice goal in the 4-0 game V Hibs as well. Burleys first and only derby in charge

4 hours ago, HillmanHearts said:

Austin McCann !!!!!!

What a moment. When Seve chose to play it out left and not down the right wing I thought oh no and I said "Dinnae shoot" to my Dad right before he unleashed it :)

3 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Remember this game (although can't remember the score). Ran the show and looked like he could really have been something special based on that performance. Never really recreated it for us

3 hours ago, Prince Obua said:

Lithuanian player Ivaskevicius scoring a nice goal against celtic at Parkhead in a 3-1 win. 

he seemed to always play well against rangers and IIRC was part of the kaunus side that knocked them out of the CL qualifiers

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

not for or against us but nade v arsenal

Remember him scoring an absolute belter for us, top corner. It was in a preseason match at Tynie. Maybe against Bolton?

14 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Miko's screamers against hibs and celtic.

Kevin Kyles header.

Phil Stamps belter

Surely none of those three come under "unspectacular" players?! :lol:

KK and Stampy were cult heroes in their own right and even Miko made over 100 appearances. I'm sure the OP was thinking of far more obscure players than that.

Mo Berthe..errrr

managing to put his boots on the correct feet, although it did look as if he had put them on wrong.

Archived