Welcome Back!

redm

2 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

If I'm getting you right, if there's no dot, that all the post been read. If you want to go to the last post in thread after that, click the time under the username and that'll take you there.

Ahhhhh! Cheers Chester, that makes sense. So I'll need to start entering threads by clicking the time on the rhs of the screen, as opposed to click either the thread title or the page number, both of which are on the lhs of the page?

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

you mean no more dots?

I mean you couldn’t open a thread, read the OP and then easily skip to the most recent post on the last page (unless it was only one or two pages long).

On the old mobile view (iphone, safari browser) you could only go forward a page or back a page from within a thread..... it was really annoying as you had to either go back to the main page (terrace/shed) and then click on the last page or switch to desktop view from within the thread.

Just now, Mr Sifter said:

Ahhhhh! Cheers Chester, that makes sense. So I'll need to start entering threads by clicking the time on the rhs of the screen, as opposed to click either the thread title or the page number, both of which are on the lhs of the page?

Seems that way just now.

Just now, cookieboy said:

Dunno then. I had the same problem but wasn't signed in 

Think Chester has solved it cookie??

Good efforts 

First impression on my phone is a lot of scrolling - the announcement and the sub forums taking up a lot of space at the top, would be nice to minimise that

letsmakesomenoise

Hi

Can we have the “Go to the first unread post” functionality back please.

Thats been invaluable when reading the New Stand thread, amongst others!

LMSN

1 minute ago, letsmakesomenoise said:

Hi

Can we have the “Go to the first unread post” functionality back please.

Thats been invaluable when reading the New Stand thread, amongst others!

LMSN

Click on the dot/star at the Left Hand Side of a post.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. As Redm says please quote your operating system and browser if you are reporting a problem  

I'm not a great lover of change but I'm sure I will get used to things eventually. :pimp2:

letsmakesomenoise
6 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Click on the dot/star at the Left Hand Side of a post.

Hmmmmm ...... just seems to take you to the end of the thread, or thereabouts.

Might be something to do with the new forum being copied over, I’ll try again later.

Thanks for the reply. ?

Whats the difference between a star and a dot BTW

LMSN

Just now, letsmakesomenoise said:

Hmmmmm ...... just seems to take you to the end of the thread, or thereabouts.

Might be something to do with the new forum being copied over, I’ll try again later.

Thanks for the reply. ?

Whats the difference between a star and a dot BTW

LMSN

The difference is whether or not you've posted in the thread I think.

Clicking on it certainly takes me to the Last Unread Post.

Not all threads I have visited have dots to indicate unread posts and I know for sure that there must be new ones!

2 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Nobody answered the questions about mobile version? How can I tell if I'm on the mobile V or not?

I think its automatic.

I cant log in using Tapatalk

Version 7.0.7

Android 7.0

Furthermore, I have notifications turned off and I'm still getting them. Also, do we really need a two line jump when hitting return, for a new line, when replying?

Is there away to open a thread and get to the last page you were at, like before, rather than having to start at the beginning again. 

41 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Will the bar be returning/allow us to toggle it on/off in the My Profile section (which I'm unable to do) and can we get an alternative skin, for those of us that have sight problems with bright skins? Will be able to close off Birthdays, on the main page, like we were able to do previously?

And can the noise that happens when new replies occur in a thread be turned off? I also cant log in at all on Tapatalk.

Thanks.

Regarding the noise, if you click on the notifications icon at the top (the bell), then Notification Settings, you can uncheck "Play a sound when I receive a notification" at the bottom of the list of options.

On the mobile site whenever I went back to a thread I would automatically be taken to the first unread post. Not it takes me to the OP and I have to find where I'd last read up to. Using iPhone. 

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Regarding the noise, if you click on the notifications icon at the top (the bell), then Notification Settings, you can uncheck "Play a sound when I receive a notification" at the bottom of the list of options.

Got that. :thumbsup:

But as you'll see above, I've issues with notifications as a whole.

Clark Griswold
9 hours ago, redm said:

As you'll probably notice we've made quite a few changes in the time we were down and while the good news is that we're back and the forum is live once more, there's still a lot going on behind the scenes.

A few million posts still have to transfer over so you might find that some old (and not so old) posts aren't showing quite as they should. That sort of detail will come back slowly over the coming days and maybe even week. There's a LOT of data.

The forum has new functions and we need to get to grips with them just as you do, but if you notice anything weird or wonderful please do let us know. I'll keep an eye on this thread. 

We also still have a few design tasks to sort out so you might find that it changes a little bit each time you visit in the next few days.

I imagine some of you might not like the number of changes but I hope the new forum will become every bit as familiar to you as the old one was. This wasn't an optional upgrade for us, the old software was well out of date and we simply had to move with the times if we wanted to keep the board running smoothly and keep it as safe as it needs to be. Most performance issues were ironed out in recent weeks but this upgrade should hopefully help us make these glitches less of an issue going forward too. 

I probably have lots more to say on this but I need to go and start fiddling with all the cool new functions we have. I'll come back and write up some 'How To' guides if you let me know which things aren't as intuitive or clear to you as they used to be. 

Thanks in advance to all of you for your patience and cooperation. We hope you like the new forum.  :)

(And Simon, tech guru, if you're looking in....thank you from all of us!)

First of all, great work to all involved, the forum is looking awesome bar a few niggles mentioned in this thread.

Is it maybe worth having a quick FAQ sticky for the new forum? I know you mentioned How To articles above, but reckon an FAQ would be quicker to compose, and would save folk asking the same questions or having to trawl thru looking for someone that's had the same issue. Just a thought, Cheers.

17 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Not all threads I have visited have dots to indicate unread posts and I know for sure that there must be new ones!

It looks to me that only threads that have been commented on since we reopened have the dots/stars

Apologies if this thread turns into my ramblings of the new theme!

Dislike the orange 'hot' flag for topics (distracting) and no paypal option for paying a subscription right now

6 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

What does a shadow star mean

Stars.thumb.png.2e6a68d30b2e0bbb12b286756b702ffa.png

I think it means that you've posted to that thread, but it hasn't had any new posts since you last looked at it (the star goes black if there any new posts).

Love the design on android mobile!

There is a large white space to the right that I can scroll into. Seems to be for the menu drop down list but do you think that will always be there?

How can you check if someone has change there name? Some posters regularly change their name and it was easy to see what the name was previously. 

(Safari)

I'm not sure the old names have transferred over yet. I had to sign in with my latest name and it would not recognise my first username. (I've had this namesince 2014 mind)

Oh yes, should add that you now need to sign in with your current user name. Not your original one. Display names required for login. 

5 minutes ago, redm said:

Oh yes, should add that you now need to sign in with your current user name. Not your original one. Display names required for login. 

Just trying out the ? function 

You just got a like 

Is it still too early too make changes to your profile and how do you check to see who's been looking at your profile ??????

Reputation +27 :verysmug:

Does this get me first class rail travel and a ticket in the premium seats?

Glad we're back - hated not having any way to ask folk if they like to eat the powder in a cup-a-soup - ken it's a Shed question.

27 minutes ago, Barack said:

After my failed effort doing a GIF this morning.

Anyone able to explain an easy way to embed them now, without just the URL showing up?

Is it supposedly as straightforward as now posting a picture?

Ta.

Just a straight copy and paste after choosing insert other media and then insert URL.

Not convinced this mobile site isn't just a reshaped version of the desktop. Far too much side way scrolling.:look:

Mobile site is great on the iPhone. However when I'm on the works laptop I also use the mobile site.

is there a way I can change to this from the website?

Not sure if it's been pointed out, but on mobile, when you sign in to post a reply, the sign in box appears somewhere randomly up the length of the page, not where the current view selection is. 

Other than that, it's not bad :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Not convinced this mobile site isn't just a reshaped version of the desktop. Far too much side way scrolling.:look:

Google “responsive design”. 

39 minutes ago, Barack said:

After my failed effort doing a GIF this morning.

Anyone able to explain an easy way to embed them now, without just the URL showing up?

Is it supposedly as straightforward as now posting a picture?

Ta.

I just right clicked over the gif, copied and pasted into my post when I put a gif on the star wars thread.

Archived