Welcome Back!

redm

As you'll probably notice we've made quite a few changes in the time we were down and while the good news is that we're back and the forum is live once more, there's still a lot going on behind the scenes.

A few million posts still have to transfer over so you might find that some old (and not so old) posts aren't showing quite as they should. That sort of detail will come back slowly over the coming days and maybe even week. There's a LOT of data.

The forum has new functions and we need to get to grips with them just as you do, but if you notice anything weird or wonderful please do let us know. I'll keep an eye on this thread. 

We also still have a few design tasks to sort out so you might find that it changes a little bit each time you visit in the next few days.

I imagine some of you might not like the number of changes but I hope the new forum will become every bit as familiar to you as the old one was. This wasn't an optional upgrade for us, the old software was well out of date and we simply had to move with the times if we wanted to keep the board running smoothly and keep it as safe as it needs to be. Most performance issues were ironed out in recent weeks but this upgrade should hopefully help us make these glitches less of an issue going forward too. 

I probably have lots more to say on this but I need to go and start fiddling with all the cool new functions we have. I'll come back and write up some 'How To' guides if you let me know which things aren't as intuitive or clear to you as they used to be. 

Thanks in advance to all of you for your patience and cooperation. We hope you like the new forum.  :)

(And Simon, tech guru, if you're looking in....thank you from all of us!)

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, redm said:

As you'll probably notice we've made quite a few changes in the time we were down and while the good news is that we're back and the forum is live once more, there's still a lot going on behind the scenes.

A few million posts still have to transfer over so you might find that some old (and not so old) posts aren't showing quite as they should. That sort of detail will come back slowly over the coming days and maybe even week. There's a LOT of data.

The forum has new functions and we need to get to grips with them just as you do, but if you notice anything weird or wonderful please do let us know. I'll keep an eye on this thread. 

We also still have a few design tasks to sort out so you might find that it changes a little bit each time you visit in the next few days.

I imagine some of you might not like the number of changes but I hope the new forum will become every bit as familiar to you as the old one was. This wasn't an optional upgrade for us, the old software was well out of date and we simply had to move with the times if we wanted to keep the board running smoothly and keep it as safe as it needs to be. Most performance issues were ironed out in recent weeks but this upgrade should hopefully help us make these glitches less of an issue going forward too. 

I probably have lots more to say on this but I need to go and start fiddling with all the cool new functions we have. I'll come back and write up some 'How To' guides if you let me know which things aren't as intuitive or clear to you as they used to be. 

Thanks in advance to all of you for your patience and cooperation. We hope you like the new forum.  :)

(And Simon, tech guru, if you're looking in....thank you from all of us!)

Thanks for the work guys!

Quite like the UI as it is tbh, I'd probably like it kept like this. Minimalist, and easier to read. 

• redm featured this topic
  • redm unfeatured this topic

Thanks for all the (ongoing) hard work. :) 

Just a quick note that the inter-paragraph spacing for the posts made before the changeover seems quite large.

• redm changed the title to Welcome Back!
Just now, Tazio said:

Enjoy the peace and quiet for now before the inevitable barrage of moans starts. 

I'll start!  

Too spaced out when viewing thread titles and also posts (iPhone). Scrolling like mad to see everything. Hopefully there's a setting I can find to change it though. 

portobellojambo1

As it has come up just as I was thinking about heading for bed I'll leave it until tomorrow night to have a neb about.

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Nice embedding of links

I posted Cardiff's tweets of Callum Paterson's hatrick tonight 

Cool

Just a note that I'm getting cut-off at the bottom of each of those embedded tweets (FF 56.0; Linux).

As with some of the images and emojis, the spacing of the old posts might well be one of the things that changes as the post rebuild continues. Let's wait and see what it looks like once that's complete and if it's something we need to look at then we will do.

All feedback appreciated by the way, even the grumbles. :) We need to know what you think and prefer - you're the ones using it. Some things we'll be able to change and some we might not but let us know your thoughts anyway.

Worthing Jambo

Keep up the good work.

I think I need help though as, even 20 and a half years on, I still get twitchy when I can't get my daily fix.

At least I can log in and read the last pages of threads on the phone now.

Weren't the old days of dial up and constant crashes fun!

9 minutes ago, Locky said:

Mobile forum looks cracking!

Is there a specific mobile version? Can't tell if it's just the desktop one being resized. The menu bar needs a swipe to the side to see after it is revealed. Also seems to reshape the latest pic in the new stand thread!

Oh aye and trhat big announcement bar at the top of every page is a bit of a pain to scroll past.

Apart from that it does seem like a decent upgrade in other ways.

Just another observation in that some of the apostrophes in the imported posts have been converted to ? marks. Not all though, so it could have been the case that the old forum software allowed multiple types of apostrophe, not all of which were translated across correctly.

...a bit disco

Not a fan.

How do you view new posts and not just the last one?

Looks good, was a bit worried when I went to Shed first and found I couldn't go to most recent post, went to Terrace and there was the feature working perfect, read this thread and find that patience will be the key, like everything good things come to those who wait (patiently)

Just now, Ulysses said:

Ah here, where are my accented vowels? 

á

é

í

ó

ú

Sorted.  :biggrin:

Is there a button to preview before posting?

Just now, Ulysses said:

Where's the smilies?

:(

Oops, found them.

:facepalm:

Ah well.

:laugh:

You've now nominated yourself as the tester of the smileys. You have to post every single smiley to see that they work correctly. ;)

Just now, redjambo said:

You've now nominated yourself as the tester of the smileys. You have to post every single smiley to see that they work correctly. ;)

;)

17 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Is there a specific mobile version? Can't tell if it's just the desktop one being resized. The menu bar needs a swipe to the side to see after it is revealed. Also seems to reshape the latest pic in the new stand thread!

Oh aye and trhat big announcement bar at the top of every page is a bit of a pain to scroll past.

Apart from that it does seem like a decent upgrade in other ways.

What he said. 

I don't know if I'm just missing it somehow, but is there any chance of adding a little bar or links that allow you to switch directly between the Terrace and the Shed like we used to have at the top when we were logged in?

Sorry guys, it's really bland. The icons down the left of page are barely visible and the text on the "Home Page" line likewise. 

To preview your post, click on the little magnifying glass at the right end of the edit toolbar.

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I don't know if I'm just missing it somehow, but is there any chance of adding a little bar or links that allow you to switch directly between the Terrace and the Shed like we used to have at the top when we were logged in?

I generally have 2 tabs open in my browser. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I generally have 2 tabs open in my browser. 

That would work. I never even considered that option and it would probably be easier too. :)

Looks good on iphone 8. Like how you can now jump straight to the last page of thread on mobile view.

For those concerned about the look of the forum, the main priority was getting it up and running again, minimise downtime as much as we possibly could and make sure it works. The wee design tweaks will happen in due course, so by all means please do offer ideas and feedback on that too. 

Looks like there are lots of improvements on the mobile version.

The only problem I have spotted so far is that images seem to be elongated. See the Main Stand Photo Thread for examples.

Just now, BigC said:

Looks like there are lots of improvements on the mobile version.

The only problem I have spotted so far is that images seem to be elongated. See the Main Stand Photo Thread for examples.

Ok. Have you noticed that with new posts (since we reopened) or is it photos on older posts from before the upgrade?

(Sorry, would check myself but it's better to ask someone who didn't have access during the process just in case I see things differently. And I have about a million tabs open right now.)

2 minutes ago, redm said:

For those concerned about the look of the forum, the main priority was getting it up and running again, minimise downtime as much as we possibly could and make sure it works. The wee design tweaks will happen in due course, so by all means please do offer ideas and feedback on that too. 

Getting this error in Tapatalk!

B829349D-64DF-4B2E-A09A-4EAF78F16976.pngEdit: Just seen your update!

It might be a good idea for all those pointing out problems or suggested enhancements etc. to also say which device (and even browser) they are using to view the forum. That will allow the tech guys to pinpoint the issues more quickly.

Archived