Match Ratings Against Partick ( merged )

51john51

McLaughlin - 5 - Absolute howler for their goal.

Smith - 5 - Poorest game for Hearts yet

Hughes - 6 - Solid if unspectacular.

Berra - 7 - Commading but not his best.

Souttar - 8 - My MOM.

Grzelak - 3 - Truly awful in defence and going forward.

Randall - 3 - Total passenger who looked utterly lost in some bizarre deep role.

Cowie - 5 - Lots of pressing but ultimately pointless.

Walker - 6 - Looked lively when he was in the ball, which wasn't often enough.

Callachan - 7- Wasted playing on the left for much of the game.

Goncalves - 7 - Did his best to hold the ball up with very little support.

Smith-brown - 3 - Looked as bad as Grzelak.

Milinkovic - 4 - Added some attacking urgency although petulant.

Currie - 1 - Miles away from first team football.

Levein - 4 - Poor performance and team setup was frankly awful. We hardly tested their keeper the whole game. Lots of pointless possession. Randall may be a right back, although that still needs proved, however he is utterly lost anywhere else. Callachan was wasted on the left. Grzelak is not fit for purpose. Levein had better start being more "hands on" again, as leaving it to the myriad of coaches we have, didn't seem to work.

I'm not convinced our goal was actually over the line, but who cares. Difficult place to get a point as Partick are not a bad team. Superb support though.

Geoff Kilpatrick

McLaughlin - 3 - Verminesque keeping

Smith - 5 - Our only outlet ball first half. Decent effort on goal but not much came off for him.

Grzelak - 5 - Isn't very good

Souttar - 8 - MoM. Really suits playing in a back 3. Only negative was passing up shooting opportunities

Hughes - 6 - Solid but slow

Berra - 7 - Another solid performance

Walker - 6 - Suits the deeper role but nothing really came off for him

Callachan - 7 - Like this kid. Worked his arse off and deserved the goal

Goncalves - 5 - Tried hard but nothing came off

Cowie - 5 - Headless chicken

Randall - 5 - Meh

Subs:

Smith-Brown - 4

Milinkovic - 4

Currie - 1

McLaughlin 2- A complete nightmare and Hamilton should feel very aggrieved if he is not recalled next week. Complete screw up for the goal and Souttar saved his blushes before half time. He made a couple of good saves in the 2nd Half, before almost giving PT the match with one of the worst goal kicks I've ever seen!!.

Smith 4 - Deservedly hooked, far and away his worst display of the season

Grzelak 4 - Rank

Berra 6 - Not at his best

Hughes 7 - one of the few who can hold his head high tonight.

Souttar 7 - Best of a poor bunch. Great headed clearance from McLaughlin's second screw up

Callachan 6 - Worked hard, but missed Djoum. You can't fault his heart and a great run into the box to head the equalizer.

Randall 5 - Disappointingly poor after his excellent display v Aberdeen, good effort on goal was his only significant contribution.

Cowie 5 - we are so much poorer when he plays

Walker 6 - Can't fault his effort, but his decision making was poor and is probably even slower than Cowie.

Goncalves 6 - Nothing came off for him, but was left desperately isolated throughout.

Smith-Brown 5 - Hopefully fitness is to blame for another anemic display

Milinkovic 6 - Great cross for the goal and gives us something a bit different.

Currie n/a - surprised that Stockton wasn't introduced and did little in his short time on the pitch to suggest he was the right change.

Levein 4 - I felt he got the tactics badly wrong today and it will be interesting to see what alterations are made for Dundee.

McLaughlin: 3 -- Goal was horrific and was in poor position for the one Souttar cleared off the line. Made some nice saves but two absolutely unacceptable errors.

Smith: 5 -- Okay but quiet, couldn't find his way forward through the midfield

Hughes: 6 -- Old Faithful. Played well, particularly sliding over to right back at the end. He gives you solid defending but no speed.

Souttar: 8 -- Saved a goal and was the only bright spot for large stretches. Great defending, carried the ball forward well. MOTM.

Berra: 6 -- Perhaps unfair but the first non-great game I've seen him play. Could have gotten a second yellow after HT. Strange one.

Grzelak: 3 -- Oafish performance. Heavy on his challenges and frequently out of position. Worst game yet for him

Cowie: 5 -- Meh. Never quits but we needed some creativity in midfield today and he didn't have it.

Callachan: 7 -- What a find. Sure he's raw and he's never going to be an EPL player but what a great player to have at Hearts. Best starting midfielder today.

Walker: 6 -- Hot and cold all day long. At times he worked hard to get into space, but it never came off for him. Then he'd just shut off for 10 minutes at a time.

Randall: 4 -- Utterly ineffective set up next to Walker as a forward midfielder. Found a bit of the game late on after the subs moved everyone around.

Isma: 6 -- Don't know where Lafferty was but cruel to throw Isma forward alone against a back three of big huddies. Good work coming back for the ball though.

Subs:

Smith-Brown: 5 -- Didn't do anything special but settled the left side after coming in for Grzelak

Milinkovic: 7 -- Quality and hustle on the quick corner and the assist for the goal. We'd been starved for it

Currie: NG -- Didn't notice him in the time he was on.

Lol you don't know football if you think he had a good game hahahaha. Idiot

You don?t know football if you think playing up front on your own is an easy thing to do. It?s the hardest position in football. He didn?t have a good game, but -7, over the top.

You don?t know football if you think playing up front on your own is an easy thing to do. It?s the hardest position in football. He didn?t have a good game, but -7, over the top.

I don't care how hard anything is in football. He can't pass, can't dribble, can't score, can't stay standing, can't control a ball, can't do **** all. We never won today because of him. I mean Christ 3v3 in the last minute and he basically had a shot at walkers chest. Useless.

Isma played well today despite being giving a thankless task. The majority of hearts fans at the game today will have seen that.

Bazzas right boot

I don't care how hard anything is in football. He can't pass, can't dribble, can't score, can't stay standing, can't control a ball, can't do **** all. We never won today because of him. I mean Christ 3v3 in the last minute and he basically had a shot at walkers chest. Useless.

Isma has a 1  goal in 2 ratio.

He can pass, he can dribble and he can shoot- I've seen it. a good few  times as  well.

We are Hearts, we play in the  Scottish top flight. I think you are expecting way to much.

Isma has a 1 goal in 2 ratio.

He can pass, he can dribble and he can shoot- I've seen it. a good few times as well.

We are Hearts, we play in the Scottish top flight. I think you are expecting way to much.

I expect someone that can play football...he can't? Offers nothing

It's much easier to remember the times Isma lost possession today as it was so frequent however he probably performed a difficult role nearly 50% of the time. Success for him today was forcing a tackle from the opposition.

Fly the Saltire

Souttar - 8 - My MOM.

Randall - 3 - Total passenger who looked utterly lost in some bizarre deep role.

Levein - 4 - Poor performance and team setup was frankly awful. We hardly tested their keeper the whole game. Lots of pointless possession. Randall may be a right back, although that still needs proved, however he is utterly lost anywhere else. Callachan was wasted on the left. Grzelak is not fit for purpose. Levein had better start being more "hands on" again, as leaving it to the myriad of coaches we have, didn't seem to work.

I'm not convinced our goal was actually over the line, but who cares. Difficult place to get a point as Partick are not a bad team. Superb support though.

Can't disagree with ratings except for Smith - Brown was better as Grzelak but his crossing let him down.

Our mid field was poor and punting high balls to Isma was pointless.  Thistle attacking players seemed to have more space than we were allowed.  Not Cowie's best but always gives 100%

Can't disagree with ratings except for Smith - Brown was better as Grzelak but his crossing let him down.

Our mid field was poor and punting high balls to Isma was pointless. Thistle attacking players seemed to have more space than we were allowed. Not Cowie's best but always gives 100%

Smith-Brown looks like he has no confidence whatsoever. He needed to bomb down the line everytime he got the ball but seemed quite happy to just pass it back or sideways.

I don't understand why Levein persists with Grzelak or Randall.

The team I would have liked to have seen was:

McLaughlin

Souttar Berra Hughes

Smith Callachan Cowie Smith-Brown

Walker

Lafferty Goncalves

With Lafferty out I would have brought in either Stockton or Milinkovic.

We need to stop chopping and changing needlessly and get some consistency.

I'd say we are considerably weaker without Djoum and Lafferty.

If we play Isma as a lone striker we will struggle to create chances. We need Stockton next to him while Lafferty isn't available to hold the ball up and bring others including Isma into play.

Milinkovic is worth a start next game.

Randall belongs on the right if he is playing.

I think without the 2 mentioned we need to set up like this.

______________McLaughlin

_____Souttar____Berra____Hughes

Smith______________________Smith-Brown

_____Cowie____Callachan____Walker

_________Stockton____Isma

I don't understand why Levein persists with Grzelak or Randall.

The team I would have liked to have seen was:

McLaughlin

Souttar Berra Hughes

Smith Callachan Cowie Smith-Brown

Walker

Lafferty Goncalves

With Lafferty out I would have brought in either Stockton or Milinkovic.

We need to stop chopping and changing needlessly and get some consistency.

I'd drop that pair for next week, with Smith-Brown and either Milinkovic or Lafferty as replacements.

Souttar , Callachan and Walker were our best player good cameo from Milinkovic. Grzelak woeful Randall not much better apart from a good shot in the second half. Keeper had a couple of real howlers and a couple of good saves. Overall poor display until last 20 minutes.

Sent from my LG-K350 using Tapatalk

I enjoyed the game and I thought we deserved to win, just.  We shall require patience with this team and also management.  It's brand new and miracles don't happen very often in Gorgie.  Things are definitely on the up though.

Did I say he had a good game? No.

It doesn't take a genius to see that he was never gonna deal well with the balls shelled up to his head against 3 centre halves though. He's not a lone striker and was completely alienated today, had a poor game but was on a thankless task due to the way we set up.

If we are intent on playing a system that relies on the only 2 wide players on the park delivering crosses into the box then we'd better start playing players who can cross a ball.

Grezlak and Smith's delivery today was atrocious, not that Grezlak was much better in anything else he did. Only once in the whole game was a decent cross delivered, and we scored from it.

Souttar - 8 - My MOM.

:uhoh2: The young lad Currie was on for 10 minutes max considering he was played out of position thought he done fine your comment about a young lad who was hardly on the park is hilarious and sums you up! 

Have to kinda agree with both sides re Isma. Isolated up front and tried HOWEVER.... He doesn't do the simple stuff at all! I've lost count of the times in games we've been in great positions and he's chosen the wrong option, the harder option. Today he had an easy square ball on yet tried to play a through ball that hit the defender. Then late at the end of the game Walker is in a bit of space and all he needs to do is slide a ball for Walker to run towards goal and Isma ****ing smacks it at Jamie's chest! :wtf:

He moaned at Jamie for not being able to control the ****in thing [emoji85]

:rofl:

You're an embarrassment.

I do feel sorry for him. Imagine having to try pretend to be a footballer when you aren't one! Reminds me of Ali Dia the man who conned his way to being a footballer

This is complete and utter nonsense. No idea what you've been watching.

I would say he is much better wing back.

What I don't understand is that if Randall gave us his best so far at right back, surely if he has to play in midfield, he'd do better on the right rather than in the middle.

Midfield today didn't seem to have an obvious shape anyway. I couldn't tell who was playing where really. Cowie seemed furthest right for most of it.

What I don't understand is that if Randall gave us his best so far at right back, surely if he has to play in midfield, he'd do better on the right rather than in the middle.

Midfield today didn't seem to have an obvious shape anyway. I couldn't tell who was playing where really. Cowie seemed furthest right for most of it.

Think we were in the central mid box that we played for a lot of the match against Aberdeen.  Cowie back right, Callachan back left, Randall front right, Walker front left.

As mentioned previously, I suspect we were originally laid out this way to play with Lafferty as the solo striker.

All this negativity toward Ismael is totally rank. Given that 95% of the passes he received were aimless cross field aerials while trying to hold off 3 x PT 6ft+ defenders on his own I think he did a fantastic job. He desperately needed someone alongside him as more often than not he was holding the ball (which he did superbly) for nobody other than himself. Anyone who was at the game and didn't see that way is being utterly disingenuous.

Grazlek - is the new Osh

Milinkovic - I like already, has pace bit of skill and a nice bit of Serbian menace.

Cowie and Randall - offer nothing of note. Compare them to Spittal who we could have bought for f.a.

*Currie - not yet, looks like a boy a bit lost. Would sooner have Zanatta brought on.

Martin - what's the deal? Despite his shortcominggs can an at least spot a pass. Yes he's lightweight and slow but surely have him on bench, who else made any pass of note.....?

Stockton - why is he here if *Currie gets on?

Goalkeepers - apply to Hearts if your partial to a bit of a bomb scare.

These are just a few...

What a great support though.

Souttar - 8 - My MOM.

Thank **** I was at the game. 1 out of 10 for your ratings

McLaughlin - 4 - Really poor at the goal, fine rest of the game but mistake was costly

Hughes - 6 - fairly solid as Partick did not threaten too much

Souttar - 8 - for me MOTM, our most attacking threat for an hour and defended well throughout

Berra - 7 - Mr Reliable

Smith - 6 - not at his best, but still put in a good shift

Cowie - 5 - fairly anonymous

Randall - 6 - always looking for the ball and got involved but need a bit more

Callachan - 7 - a real find. Great header for the goal and one of the better players before th goal, really impressed so far

Griezlak - 5 - poor. Distribution not good enough and did not produce enough

Walker - 6 - absolutely no question about work rate and commitment, just didn't quite come off for him today.

Isma - 6 - worked tirelessly without much service

Smith-Brown - 5 - final ball poor but looked lively

Milinkovic - 6 - very good cameo, deserves a start

Currie - 4- not ready

If we had an avg ratings on here Grzelak would be about a 4/10 for all his games this season. Clearly the weak link and it is a position we need to address again in January if Smith-Browns injuries persist.

If Martin can't get a look in for this midfield especially with djoum injured, he needs to be allowed to leave.

Correct. There's no creativity in there

Imo Randall is a better option in the right wing back role than Smith. I appreciate many will disagree but I'm not so sure Smith is all he's been cracked up to be on here.

Cowie,,,, runs and runs and runs, but he hardly ever touches the baw. Offers nowt

Very true. A player of his experience should be influencing games more. He gets a lot of credit on here for running but he should be doing more. Our midfield is the weakest part of our team.

Ernie Eskilsson

Souttar , Callachan and Walker were our best player good cameo from Milinkovic. Grzelak woeful Randall not much better apart from a good shot in the second half. Keeper had a couple of real howlers and a couple of good saves. Overall poor display until last 20 minutes.

Sent from my LG-K350 using Tapatalk

stirlingshirejambo

I wondered why Grezlak started after a decent game from smith brown last week and I can only presume it was for his height

When keeper kicking he was his out ball with isma useless against 3 big centre halfs

In general with cowie Randall and Walker I think we are a small team middle to forward and in a game like yesterday I think it showed especially our many aimless balls into the box we were outmuscled completely

All this negativity toward Ismael is totally rank. Given that 95% of the passes he received were aimless cross field aerials while trying to hold off 3 x PT 6ft+ defenders on his own I think he did a fantastic job. He desperately needed someone alongside him as more often than not he was holding the ball (which he did superbly) for nobody other than himself. Anyone who was at the game and didn't see that way is being utterly disingenuous.

I'm not disputing any of what you've pointed out bud. The guy puts in a shift. What I've highlighted is his piss poor distribution/decision making when he's got he ball. Specifically when he's got an option to pass. Game after game the same thing with his going for the wrong and often harder option that never comes off for him.

Yesterday on the edge of the box in first half he's got an easy square ball yet he tried to thread a pass through on goal and hits the defender. Right at the end all he needs to do is play a ball either into Walkers feet or thread it through for him to run onto and he hits it with power into Walkers chest. It's no shock this takes Walker by surprise and he can't take the sting off the ball, loses it and also loses his footing. The look on Walkers face said it all yet Isma moaned at him for failing to control it! He seemed to be moaning about a lot of things!

Someone I know said something and I'm starting to think they've got a point. He doesn't seem to have a footballing brain. He's good and putting in a shift or running/chasing lost causes but when it comes to being clever he's not capable.

I don't like criticising our players and I think Levein can actually work with him but he need to be more savvy.

Great attitude to win the point but thought we looked a yard slow all over the park . As for the goal Rafa puts zero effort as spiral walks by him , souttar shows a real lack of experience being too deep and folllowing the run of striker and then of course the keeper has a mare .

All round 6s for me

I think the whole team deserves credit, look at it this way, our away form has been absolute dire, we now seemed to have a more solid look about us now, a couple of months ago we would have lost that game.

I think the whole team deserves credit, look at it this way our away firm has been absolute dire in recent we niw seemed to have a more solid look about us now, a couple of months ago we would have lost that game.

If Cathro had been manager we'd have lost heavily. Partick look a very decent team.

Archived