Uber license revoked in London

Rab87

The problem is calling phc drivers cabbies.

It would be like calling a cabbie a bus driver , similar jobs but some subtle differences .

Basically to get the figures correct on any accusations made it has to be done correctly to make it fair( no pun intended ;) ) for everyone and that works both ways , if a cabbie has committed a crime why should that be put in the figures for phc drivers or vice versa

It's comparing licensed taxi drivers with unlicensed drivers. Because police only record the fact that the allegation was against a taxi driver and not the car they are driving it doesn't mean that they aren't the best statistics to use for a comparison.

The Uber are statistics are hardly fair either when they include people reported for a crime where there isn't evidence enough to even charge them.

It's comparing licensed taxi drivers with unlicensed drivers. Because police only record the fact that the allegation was against a taxi driver and not the car they are driving it doesn't mean that they aren't the best statistics to use for a comparison.

The Uber are statistics are hardly fair either when they include people reported for a crime where there isn't evidence enough to even charge them.

If you say to someone a taxi driver was involved in an incident on Gorgie road what kind of vehicle would most people presume it to be? Most probably a Hackney cab (maybe even a Merc or a Peugeot) , problem would be is if it was in fact a private hire car not a cab that was involved in the incident .

If the police appeal for witnesses to an incident involving a taxi, again what vehicle do you think people will immediately think of ?

What I'm trying to get across and probably poorly is THERE IS A DIFFERENCE , it's different on the plates on the vehicles ,one says

Licensed TAXI the other says Private Hire CAR

Tatars used are unfair to the taxi and Phc trades

If you say to someone a taxi driver was involved in an incident on Gorgie road what kind of vehicle would most people presume it to be? Most probably a Hackney cab (maybe even a Merc or a Peugeot) , problem would be is if it was in fact a private hire car not a cab that was involved in the incident .

If the police appeal for witnesses to an incident involving a taxi, again what vehicle do you think people will immediately think of ?

What I'm trying to get across and probably poorly is THERE IS A DIFFERENCE , it's different on the plates on the vehicles ,one says

Tatars used are unfair to the taxi and Phc trades[/quote

Come on everybody!!! If you are getting sexually assaulted by a taxi driver ask then what they are driving. Is it black cab or private hire? THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!?

Seemingly thousands of people in London are seethin that this has happened, maybe money comes before safety.

Yeah, but thousands aren't. Addison Lee will be rubbing their hands though.

Tatars used are unfair to the taxi and Phc trades[/quote

Come on everybody!!! If you are getting sexually assaulted by a taxi driver ask then what they are driving. Is it black cab or private hire? THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!?

No difference in the assault ,correct

When giving a statement to the police would it help them catch the offender if you could give a more detailed description of the vehicle they were driving ?

Car or taxi ? There's your difference ,but just you carry on ignoring that simple fact

Not sure what Tatars are in my previous post should've been Stats ffs

What's the public perception of Addison Lee down there mate, I believe they tried to get into Edinburgh airport recently ?

Seymour M Hersh

What's the public perception of Addison Lee down there mate, I believe they tried to get into Edinburgh airport recently ?

That bloody one road in blocked again?

I am reassured if they know where they are going without SatNav.

I believe in choice though, so you can go with an expensive black cab (and yes, I know the council sets the rates), or you can pay less for an inferior service.

Or pay less for a better service.

Uber is less consistent for sure but when you get a good driver the service is streets ahead of a black cab. Book the taxi on your phone, get shown the price in advance and can track your progress towards you drop off point whilst in the taxi.

ame="Rocco_Jambo" post="6272052" timestamp="1506232077"]

No difference in the assault ,correct

When giving a statement to the police would it help them catch the offender if you could give a more detailed description of the vehicle they were driving ?

Car or taxi ? There's your difference ,but just you carry on ignoring that simple fact

Not sure what Tatars are in my previous post should've been Stats ffs

What if it is both a car and a taxi?

Black Cabs don't have sole status as a taxi.

What if it is both a car and a taxi?

Black Cabs don't have sole status as a taxi.

They do in Edinburgh

They do in Edinburgh

Surely any vehicle that can be hired by a private customer to take them somewhere requested for a fare is a taxi. The Hackney carriage is just one version of that.

Addy Lee's a different business model, isn't it? More corporate deals than callout pickups?

Feeling down here is quite rampant that there's some kind of stitch up going on. Lots of folk have a lot of loyalty to Uber; reckon there's no extra reassurance with a black cab or (particularly) a mini-cab than you've got with Uber. There seem to be a few petitions going round.

I reckon it will play out that Uber continue. They'll have paid a higher fee for the license and there may be some new conditions or commitment given to new conditions.

Surely any vehicle that can be hired by a private customer to take them somewhere requested for a fare is a taxi. The Hackney carriage is just one version of that.

Trying to word this carefully , is it possible that the difference is privately hiring a car is different to being able to hail a cab on the street ? I genuinely don?t know and could be way off.

What I do know is the COE council and police recognise that there is a difference, the plates show this .

Trying to word this carefully , is it possible that the difference is privately hiring a car is different to being able to hail a cab on the street ? I genuinely don?t know and could be way off.

What I do know is the COE council and police recognise that there is a difference, the plates show this .

They don't in the stats.

Addy Lee's a different business model, isn't it? More corporate deals than callout pickups?

Feeling down here is quite rampant that there's some kind of stitch up going on. Lots of folk have a lot of loyalty to Uber; reckon there's no extra reassurance with a black cab or (particularly) a mini-cab than you've got with Uber. There seem to be a few petitions going round.

I reckon it will play out that Uber continue. They'll have paid a higher fee for the license and there may be some new conditions or commitment given to new conditions.

Of course they should continue , its there so the public can choose what service they prefer, however surely no-one can argue that disclosing the background of drivers isn?t a good thing ?

Mind tho uber were one of the biggest donators to trumps presidential campaign ,

Which is why I said the stats are unfair ffs

Which means the police and the council don't recognise the difference.

Oh, ffs.

Which means the police and the council don't recognise the difference.

Oh, ffs.

You do realise I?m saying the stats are unfair both ways or are you just trying to keep an argument going ?

You do realise I?m saying the stats are unfair both ways or are you just trying to keep an argument going ?

No.  I'm just explaining to you again that in terms of the actual topic (criminal offences or sexual offences)  the Council and the Police do not recognise there is a difference regardless of the fact they have different coloured license plates.

Archived