Uber license revoked in London

Rab87

A victory for the robbing *******s that are black cab drivers.

Would be asbolutely fuming at this if I lived in London, they've been a lifesaver on a few occasions when I've been down there.

Can people stop blaming black cab drivers. They don't set the tariffs that is the council.

And no I do not drive taxis before anyone suggests it.

Will be driverless in 10 years time anyways.

It's interesting that a similar gig economy employer, Ryanair, is being unanimously condemned on here but Uber lauded.

Perhaps those commenting might want to read the reasons for the non-renewal of the licence?

As Sadiq Khan said: "Providing an innovative service must not be at the expense of Londoners safety."

jamboinglasgow

It's interesting that a similar gig economy employer, Ryanair, is being unanimously condemned on here but Uber lauded.

Perhaps those commenting might want to read the reasons for the non-renewal of the licence?

As Sadiq Khan said: "Providing an innovative service must not be at the expense of Londoners safety."

Yup. The concept of Uber is a good idea of opening the market up and making it easier to operate for drivers and customers.

But the company itself is very shady. It gets so much money but wants no responsibility for anything, bullys cities and countries into giving it an easy ride.

Can people stop blaming black cab drivers. They don't set the tariffs that is the council.

And no I do not drive taxis before anyone suggests it.

Will be driverless in 10 years time anyways.

So who is going to give us their ill-informed opinion on current news stories ????

Interesting discussion earlier on 5Live -

Khan had stepped in due to the number of rapes/sex attacks on passengers and the fact Uber are allegedly not even reporting such serious crimes.

Uber had a dispute with the mayor of Paris , Mayor imposed fines for non compliance (can't recall for what) , Uber said they would pay the fines so the Mayor instructed the police the start arresting the drivers instead.

Uber walked way from Austin TX and refused to submit their drivers to background checks. They are not coming out of this looking good at all.  

The reason they are revoking the licence is because of the number on uninsured, convicted violent and sex offender drivers that were found to be working for them. TFL also found that 50% of drivers they tried to check just melted. Make of that what you want. As far as I'm concerned **** them.

Got an Uber from Clapham Junction to Deptford for under ?20 after midnight - seemed like a great deal for me at the time considering it was London. Id have to pay more than that to travel 4 miles in Worcester on a Saturday night.

luckyBatistuta

Interesting discussion earlier on 5Live -

Khan had stepped in due to the number of rapes/sex attacks on passengers and the fact Uber are allegedly not even reporting such serious crimes.

So basically the same as Edinburgh then

1975, Wembley week end,I was seeing Led Zeppelin,tube strike, couldn't do both. Friday night, taxi back to brothers in Clapham after night out, drivers says,ok ?2, gets there, on the metre 60p, reading that back,seems unreal now !

Spent a lot of time in London,black cab drivers, deserve their comeuppance

Seymour M Hersh

So basically the same as Edinburgh then

Are you suggesting Uber drivers here have been raping and sexually assaulting women? Has their been coverage of this? Don't they have to a a council licence like any other taxi driver? Don't know how it works in London though. 

Are you suggesting Uber drivers here have been raping and sexually assaulting women? Has their been coverage of this? Don't they have to a a council licence like any other taxi driver? Don't know how it works in London though.

In London, each uber car has a TEL licence sticker. I don't know much about cases of rape or assault but have heard stories of drivers not being the ones who appear on the app, suggesting that the cars are passed around drivers which raises the possibility that unlicensed drivers are picking up passengers.

I use uber a little in London and have had some really good drivers who tell all sorts of stories. I've also had my share of idiots who don't speak a word of English.

The trouble is that a black can fare is typically twice the amount. I would split the difference if I knew I could be assured of a safe and comfortable journey.

The Real Maroonblood

Are capital cars in Edinburgh any good?

They look alright.

The usual stuff four wheels, a roof and all the other bits.

Ultimately just a cab firm with a decent app and great marketing. Clearly not as focused on other parts of this business (eg control over who is doing the driving), but that?s part of their business model. If that means a local council doesn?t think they should get a licence to operate, then so be it.

I?d always use a black cab in Edinburgh, because I?m happy to pay that bit more, not least to support those companies that provide a good service. In different cities, the advent of Uber has filled a gap in transport options that didn?t really exist here anyway.

Psychedelicropcircle

My younger sister uses / used them to deliver MC Donald's to the house it would cost ?1.50 plus wot ever she ordered. Personally I have & would never use them, too much money going to few people.

luckyBatistuta

Yes, the girl who was raped at meadowbank being one of them. They have a licence to cover their bookings on their app, but they are picking people up off the street illegally. People who are getting in them off the street like this are taking a real chance, as they have know idea who the person is driving these cars and if they are involved in an accident, the drivers insurance does not cover them either. Uber in London are linked to one sex attack a week...a week!!!

Seymour M Hersh

Yes, the girl who was raped at meadowbank being one of them. They have a licence to cover their bookings on their app, but they are picking people up off the street illegally. People who are getting in them off the street like this are taking a real chance, as they have know idea who the person is driving these cars and if they are involved in an accident, the drivers insurance does not cover them either. Uber in London are linked to one sex attack a week...a week!!!

The reports I read said they had no idea if he was a taxi driver or not (assuming it's the same incident). Surely they have the individual licences drivers wear around their necks? As for taking a chance getting in cars like that I agree but remember there was a guy in London that raped several women while driving around in a black taxi that was fake. Not sure what you mean about the insurance tbh don't they Uber cars have to have insurance along the lines of private hire cars? Or are you inferring they're driving Uber cars with just regular insurance? You say Uber in London are "linked to" one sex attack a week but have you any evidence of this (links to convictions/arrests)? To be honest the way you put it sounds like the usual hackney driver chinese whispers about competition.

Black cab drivers need to face up to the fact that their model of operating is becoming increasingly outdated. They need to get aboard the technology bandwagon or eventually they will be left behind.

Why should taxi operators have to buy and pay for a licence play and take a ridiculously hard test when to pick up off the street when GPS and SatNavs pretty much do all work these days?

Black cab drivers need to face up to the fact that their model of operating is becoming increasingly outdated. They need to get aboard the technology bandwagon or eventually they will be left behind.

Why should taxi operators have to buy and pay for a licence play and take a ridiculously hard test when to pick up off the street when GPS and SatNavs pretty much do all work these days?

I am reassured if they know where they are going without SatNav.

I believe in choice though, so you can go with an expensive black cab (and yes, I know the council sets the rates), or you can pay less for an inferior service.

I am reassured if they know where they are going without SatNav.

I believe in choice though, so you can go with an expensive black cab (and yes, I know the council sets the rates), or you can pay less for an inferior service.

It won't be an argument in the future anyways as I said before automated cars will be the norm in 10-20 years time.

Does a sat nav help you with the many street closures that are going on in Edinburgh at the minute ? Easter rd/ London rd and leith street being just two

Black cabs are now using Gett an app for booking cabs and central and city also have their own apps , maybe you aren?t aware of this ? The black cab trade is changing , a bit too slowly for my liking tho

As to Seymour?s question about insurance , if you?re involved in an accident whilst in a private hire CAR that is in a designated and operational greenway the insurance provider will NOT accept any claim for injury to you as that PH CAR shouldn?t be in said greenway

A person arrives in Edinburgh , downloads an app buys a plate from the council and starts driving with absolutely no knowledge of the city , is that a good thing for citizens and tourists , is it safe as there are no background checks ?

I have no problem with phc and Uber as long as the safety is paramount and clearly for London it isn?t at the minute .

luckyBatistuta

The reports I read said they had no idea if he was a taxi driver or not (assuming it's the same incident). Surely they have the individual licences drivers wear around their necks? As for taking a chance getting in cars like that I agree but remember there was a guy in London that raped several women while driving around in a black taxi that was fake. Not sure what you mean about the insurance tbh don't they Uber cars have to have insurance along the lines of private hire cars? Or are you inferring they're driving Uber cars with just regular insurance? You say Uber in London are "linked to" one sex attack a week but have you any evidence of this (links to convictions/arrests)? To be honest the way you put it sounds like the usual hackney driver chinese whispers about competition.

Told this by a mate who is in the force (usual hackney driver chinese whisper)

So it wasn't a black hackney then...fake???

There insurance isn't valid if they're illegally picking up off the street

Police figures show...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4741030/Figures-Uber-drivers-linked-one-sex-attack-week.html

The shortest or fastest route isn't always the best, depends on traffic, time of day etc. Shortest will take you through side streets when there is no need and fastest can end up costing you a lot more. Black cabs are trying to move with the times, we now have almost identical apps where you can track your taxi and no need for cash, comes directly out your account. Everyone keeps making out that hackney drivers are ripping people off price wise. We don't set the meter prices that's the council. Doubling and trebling the price of fares during busy periods is rippping people off imo.

luckyBatistuta

It won't be an argument in the future anyways as I said before automated cars will be the norm in 10-20 years time.

Agree with you on this Alim, but don't know if I'd fancy sitting in the back of one doing 70mph with nobody in the front.

Agree with you on this Alim, but don't know if I'd fancy sitting in the back of one doing 70mph with nobody in the front.

Not that I agree with it BTW. Robots putting people out of jobs does not sit well with me.

luckyBatistuta

Not that I agree with it BTW. Robots putting people out of jobs does not sit well with me.

A few weeks ago, I was taking some passengers down the A1 to Muirfield. I was in the outside lane doing 70mph and my rear tyre exploded (it was only fitted brand new 6 days before). There was a car on my inside too, was quite scary, wouldn't fancy something like that happening with no driver in the front.

The stats on sex attacks are probably about the same for Black Cab drivers as well to be fair.

luckyBatistuta

The stats on sex attacks are probably about the same for Black Cab drivers as well to be fair.

No chance, can you show me a link that suggests figures for that being even remotely close to that link.

jamboinglasgow

If I was Lyft, I would use this to show that Lyft is a trustworthy company and complys with regulators then attract all the Uber drivers in London worried of losing business. Uber being pig headed in refusing to change could backfire if their competitors are clever in reacting to this decision.

No chance, can you show me a link that suggests figures for that being even remotely close to that link.

Linked to one sex attack a week in London per week presumably means in the region of lets say 60  over a year. In 2015 the number of taxi drivers in London that were actually charged (not just linked to which would presumably be far higher) with violent or sexual offences was 126.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1198856/more-than-1000-cabbies-have-been-charged-with-violent-and-sex-attacks-in-just-five-years-across-uk-sun-probe-finds-2/

Linked to one sex attack a week in London per week presumably means in the region of lets say 60 over a year. In 2015 the number of taxi drivers in London that were actually charged (not just linked to which would presumably be far higher) with violent or sexual offences was 126.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1198856/more-than-1000-cabbies-have-been-charged-with-violent-and-sex-attacks-in-just-five-years-across-uk-sun-probe-finds-2/

Those stats include private hire and mini-cabs. Black cab licences make up about 17% of the total number of private hire and black cab drivers. Using that percentage, that works our at about 21 black cab drivers being found guilty of said crimes. Not to mention the figure given includes more than just sexual offences.

Those stats include private hire and mini-cabs. Black cab licences make up about 17% of the total number of private hire and black cab drivers. Using that percentage, that works our at about 21 black cab drivers being found guilty of said crimes.

Don't see the difference. They are all licensed in the same manner. The fact is they show the figures between licensed taxi drivers and Uber drivers are similar or if anything lower for Uber.

Don't see the difference. They are all licensed in the same manner. The fact is they show the figures between licensed taxi drivers and Uber drivers are similar or if anything lower for Uber.

Fair enough. It's just you initially said Black Cab drivers. You also have to factor in that Uber have 40,000 drivers to the 140,000 drivers of black cabs and private hires. So statistically, your still looking at a higher percentage of Uber drivers being guilty of a sexual offence.

That's completely ignoring the fact that the figure of 126 included a lot more than sexual offences.

In terms of the operating model, in Edinburgh, City Cabs have a great app, and can also pick up fares off the street. Seems to be a better operating model than Uber.

Fair enough. It's just you initially said Black Cab drivers. You also have to factor in that Uber have 40,000 drivers to the 140,000 drivers of black cabs and private hires. So statistically, your still looking at a higher percentage of Uber drivers being guilty of a sexual offence.

That's completely ignoring the fact that the figure of 126 included a lot more than sexual offences.

No your not.  None of the statistics mentioned relate to a person being found guilty of an offence. One relates to a person being charged with a criminal offence i.e reported to the police, it actually being a criminal offence and there actually being evidence of a criminal offence. It doesn't include reported or unreported crimes which haven't led to a person being charged and therefore you would expect to be significantly lower than if they were simply "linked" to a sex offence.  The linked ones could include all manner of things. Crimes reported to the police and a person not charged. Offences not reported to the police etc. etc.

The point remains the statistics for both are very similar.

No your not. None of the statistics mentioned relate to a person being found guilty of an offence. One relates to a person being charged with a criminal offence i.e reported to the police, it actually being a criminal offence and there actually being evidence of a criminal offence. It doesn't include reported or unreported crimes which haven't led to a person being charged and therefore you would expect to be significantly lower than if they were simply "linked" to a sex offence. The linked ones could include all manner of things. Crimes reported to the police and a person not charged. Offences not reported to the police etc. etc.

The point remains the statistics for both are very similar.

I refuse to read anything from that paper/website so can I ask , when it says ? cabbies? does it clearly differentiate between taxi drivers and phc drivers or does it , like a large part of the media do , wrongly call phc drivers cabbies ?

I refuse to read anything from that paper/website so can I ask , when it says ? cabbies? does it clearly differentiate between taxi drivers and phc drivers or does it , like a large part of the media do , wrongly call phc drivers cabbies ?

Makes no differentiation.

Well there in lies a problem with the stats if that?s the case

What point are you trying to make?

Of course there's problems with the stats. But there's problems with the other stats they are being used for the previous comparison on Uber drivers. But both these stats if they are the best we have to go on show that they are pretty similar as opposed to being not remotely close.

What point are you trying to make?

Of course there's problems with the stats. But there's problems with the other stats they are being used for the previous comparison on Uber drivers. But both these stats if they are the best we have to go on show that they are pretty similar as opposed to being not remotely close.

The problem is calling phc drivers cabbies.

It would be like calling a cabbie a bus driver , similar jobs but some subtle differences .

Basically to get the figures correct on any accusations made it has to be done correctly to make it fair( no pun intended ;) ) for everyone and that works both ways , if a cabbie has committed a crime why should that be put in the figures for phc drivers or vice versa

More important to me is why Cab fares in Edinburgh are much higher than Glasgow. About a third in my experience.

Fare table for 2 mile journey obviously this projects the longer the journey

20th East Lothian ?6.80

118th Shetland ?6.05

119th Aberdeenshire ?6.00

129th Fife ?6.00

162nd glasgow ?5.80

165th Highlands ?5.80

179th Scottish Borders ?5.75

181st East Kilbride ?5.70

198th Edinburgh ?5.60

209th Renfrewshire ?5.60

215th West Lothian ?5.60

Edinburgh isnt even most expensive in Lothians. What bumps up the fare in Edinburgh is congestion.

East Lothian has been this price since 2014 while Edinburgh has been this price since 2016.Glasgow since 2015.

This was from September 2017

http://www.phtm.co.uk/taxi-fares-league-tables/2017-09

Archived