Best War Films to watch with kids

Sydney

Over the last week, me and my boys (ages 8 and 10) have settled down and watched The Great Escape, Bridge on River Kwai and the Battle of Britain.  All three of them are great war movies to watch with the boys as there is no gore, not too much death, very little swearing and very little sex/nudity.

What other WW2 films would you recommend?  

Would Dunkirk be ok for boys of that age?

Also, I have been searching high and low for Escape to Victory but can't find it on Netflix or iTunes.  The YouTube versions are cack.  Any suggestions where I can get it?

Dunkirk isn't really a War film as such. They would probably be bored as there's not much dialogue too.

It's a decent film having said that.

Dam Busters is epic for boys of all ages, one of my favorite films. But you'll need to be ready for the casual racism chat of course

Over the last week, me and my boys (ages 8 and 10) have settled down and watched The Great Escape, Bridge on River Kwai and the Battle of Britain. All three of them are great war movies to watch with the boys as there is no gore, not too much death, very little swearing and very little sex/nudity.

Also, I have been searching high and low for Escape to Victory but can't find it on Netflix or iTunes. The YouTube versions are cack. Any suggestions where I can get it?

I use Kodi, but the addon I use is basically just accessing this site, you should find it there

Primewire.ag

Sink the Bismark 

The Longest Day

The Big Red One

The Sands of Iowa Jima

Lawrence of Arabia

Tobruk

I think Kwai is one of the best films ever made, let alone one of the best war films. It's practically a psychological thriller as well as a great adventure narrative which kids can follow.

On top of what's been mentioned The Eagle Has Landed would likely suffice.

Over the last week, me and my boys (ages 8 and 10) have settled down and watched The Great Escape, Bridge on River Kwai and the Battle of Britain.  All three of them are great war movies to watch with the boys as there is no gore, not too much death, very little swearing and very little sex/nudity.

Also, I have been searching high and low for Escape to Victory but can't find it on Netflix or iTunes.  The YouTube versions are cack.  Any suggestions where I can get it?

HMV sell it on DVD.

Ice Cold in Alex, Von Ryans express, The eagle has landed, Memphis Belle,

Ice Cold In Alex is a great shout. Where Eagles Dare is a great film but the plot might be a bit tricky / convoluted for an eight-year-old?

Ice Cold In Alex is a great shout. Where Eagles Dare is a great film but the plot might be a bit tricky / convoluted for an eight-year-old?

Perhaps, but when it all kicks off it's awesome!!!!

The original All Quiet on the Western Front ,

All John Wayne war movies , given the kids ages next to no blood and guts but all the films named are excellent

Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes might fit the bill.

My son used to love Kelly's Heroes - so much so that he would watch it over and over again, repeating all the dialogue and singing the songs. Used to drive the rest of us round the bend. He wanted to be a soldier even before he went to primary school.

zoltan socrates

Dam Busters is epic for boys of all ages, one of my favorite films. But you'll need to be ready for the casual racism chat of course

there are no calls for discriminating or harming of different races based on colour in that movie, the dogs name isnt racist, there is no hateful intent in the dogs name, stop perpetuating the problem that isnt there, its a great movie and barnes wallace was a clever chap

You may notice a bias here:-0)

Cruel Sea.

Sink the Bismarck.

Battle of the River Plate.

U571.

We Dive At Dawn.

Torpedo run.

All good for watching with your boys.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Over the last week, me and my boys (ages 8 and 10) have settled down and watched The Great Escape, Bridge on River Kwai and the Battle of Britain. All three of them are great war movies to watch with the boys as there is no gore, not too much death, very little swearing and very little sex/nudity.

Also, I have been searching high and low for Escape to Victory but can't find it on Netflix or iTunes. The YouTube versions are cack. Any suggestions where I can get it?

Try searching for victory, that's the US name.

rudi must stay

I'd leave Dunkirk for a few years to be honest. It's a different sort of war film and could go totally over their heads

Probably not the best for yoiur boys, but if you get the chance "Went the Day Well" is an excellent film.

British 1942 propaganda piece, story quite similar to Eagle has Landed.

B & W but an absolute belter of a film.

I don't know if it's stretching the definition of "war film" but Ender's Game is a good science fiction one for the kids. If they like that, then Starship Troopers is fun.

Mac_fae_Gillie

been 49,,born 1968

best war movies as a young kid

Kelly Heores

ZULU

The Horse Soldiers(John Wayne,US civil war)

as you get bit older you get the historical epics

Longest Day

Tora Tora Tora

Bridge too far

great movies but slow to start which is why been too young they fail a bit.

Stephane Grappelli

There's also a 1958 film called "Dunkirk" which is really good.  I remember it being on TV one Sunday afternoon years ago when I was still at Primary so will definitely be suitable for watching with wee ones. 

Hope And Glory is a great child friendly war film.

Its got some very amusing moments in it set against the dark of London during the Blitz.

there are no calls for discriminating or harming of different races based on colour in that movie, the dogs name isnt racist, there is no hateful intent in the dogs name, stop perpetuating the problem that isnt there, its a great movie and barnes wallace was a clever chap

Wind your neck in, if you watch that film with your kids, the dog's name is going to come up and it's a good idea to be ready for it. That's not perpetuating a problem ffs, its acknowledging something that exists and will be noted.

Wind your neck in, if you watch that film with your kids, the dog's name is going to come up and it's a good idea to be ready for it. That's not perpetuating a problem ffs, its acknowledging something that exists and will be noted.

Indeed, and a simple reply of "the dog's name isn't racist" to the kids' questions isn't perhaps the best one.

Indeed, and a simple reply of "the dog's name isn't racist" to the kids' questions isn't perhaps the best one.

"Tsk you're just perpetuating the problem, stop that"

Barnes Wallace was a genius though. As I say, one of my favourite films

Barnes Wallace was a genius though. As I say, one of my favourite films

It's 'Wallis', btw, and he certainly was a genius.

Not only did he invent the bouncing bomb used against the Ruhr dams, but he designed the Wellington bomber.  He also designed the "Tallboy" bomb, and the monster "Grand Slam" bomb, which were used with great effect in precision raids against well-protected targets.

rudi must stay

You may notice a bias here:-0)

Cruel Sea.

Sink the Bismarck.

Battle of the River Plate.

U571.

We Dive At Dawn.

Torpedo run.

All good for watching with your boys.

Have you seen Das Boot? Really good film

Craig Gordons Gloves

A Bridge Too Far.

This and This and This.  Watched it when i was around 8 and I must have watched it around 30 times since.  I sat down and watched the last hour or so the other night when i should have gone to bed but it's worth it. 

Archived