Food you just don't get

EH11_2NL

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a kid my mum regularly gave me beef olives for tea. I've not had them since I've been an adult and just the thought of them makes me want to boke.

Was it well-done?

Haven't a clue. Wouldn't know the difference between well done, half done, medium or whatever. Just know that whenever I have tasted steak it's been shite.

scott herbertson

Gazpacho soup

Soup should be hot and it should taste nice, not like liquidised vegetables in tomato sauce

Haven't a clue. Wouldn't know the difference between well done, half done, medium or whatever. Just know that whenever I have tasted steak it's been shite.

It was probably well-done. A well-done steak is a ruined steak with all the flavour and juices cooked out of it.

A nice cut of steak cooked medium rare is a thing of beauty.

Samuel Camazzola

You would know the difference between a well-done steak and a cut of fillet that's been done medium-rare.

I don't like sweetcorn.

But I love corn on the cob.

Get your brain round that one :lol:

I'm the other way round. Can eat sweetcorn off a plate but there's something about eating corn on the cob which gives me the heebie jeebies.

WoolfordsHearts

It was probably well-done. A well-done steak is a ruined steak with all the flavour and juices cooked out of it.

i knew the steak police would appear at some point.

lol.

Bullshit.

Ray is quite correct however. :)

Correct.

And anyone who disagrees should be forced to eat feckin spam for the rest of their puff.

It's the stone cold truth.

:spoton:

Probably not the thread for me as I'm lucky enough to be able to eat anything (and do).

Only thing I've ever eaten which I thought WTF to, was tofu.

I'm similar, not a lot I don't like, and willing to try almost anything (including insects).  However, one thing I have tried which I could not stomach was andouilette sausage.

I was on a work night out, someone's leaving do, and we went to a French restaurant.  The girl sitting beside me admitted she wasn't really into foreign food that much, and opted for this sausage.  Meanwhile, I was giving it all the 'I'll eat anything' patter and ordered snails for my starter.

Anyway, she took one bite of her French sausage and had to spit it out (cue Kenneth Williams!!).  Smart arse me decided to have a taste, and it was frankly the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten.  The filling wasn't meat, as such, but chopped up pieces of a pig's small intestine, which probably explained why it tasted of shit (not that I've eaten shit, you understand, but 80% of our taste comes through smell, so it tasted like the smell of shit).

zoltan socrates

Eyes, sheeps

I know its obviously 'done' in the middle east, never had it, wouldnt contemplate it, a food i dont get right there

Chickens feet, what is there to eat?

Dagger Is Back

Chinese food. Used to live e it but there's so much MSG in it I don't enjoy it anymore.

Spot on. Would rather make my own these days.

Add to the list

Mushrooms - bloody fungus

Celery - WTAF

Sushi - see Celery

Tripe - one of these foods which lives up to its name

luckyBatistuta

Steak, just don't get it at all. Been out for meals countless times with friends who have salivated over this piece of dead cow, had a taste and seriously wondered what all the fuss was about. Tasteless.

You need to frequent better restaurants.  

Another correct for you Ray :thumb:

Abalone...I've got friends who go wild for it and it's not cheap either, but for me, it's a bit tasteless.

It's supposed to be a healthier alternative to beef mince.  Turkey mince is leaner.  My mum uses turkey mince in her bolognese, took a bit of getting used to but I like it now.  

That said, if I am making it myself I'll use beef mince.  

Has no place in bolognese, but is good for various types of turkey burgers.

luckyBatistuta

It's supposed to be a healthier alternative to beef mince.  Turkey mince is leaner.  My mum uses turkey mince in her bolognese, took a bit of getting used to but I like it now.  

That said, if I am making it myself I'll use beef mince.

Has no place in bolognese, but is good for various types of turkey burgers.

Turkey mince in bolognese :boak:

Lamb mince in bolognese is superb.

Not many foods I don't love and some of those listed in this thread leave me baffled but each to their own! For me though the following are horrendous:

Cherries. Especially those glazed ****ers. Literally give me the dry boak.

Anchovies. Just wrong.

Battenberg cake. Wtf. Anything marzipan is repulsive.

Cranberries. Vile to eat and drink. Don't get the fad. The band were shite too.

luckyBatistuta

Not many foods I don't love and some of those listed in this thread leave me baffled but each to their own! For me though the following are horrendous:

Cherries. Especially those glazed ****ers. Literally give me the dry boak.

Anchovies. Just wrong.

Battenberg cake. Wtf. Anything marzipan is repulsive.

Cranberries. Vile to eat and drink. Don't get the fad. The band were shite too.

Anchovies in a Pizza Calzone...mmm, mmm

Marzipan on anything, on its own...mmm,mmm

Cranberry juice...mmm,mmm

I'll give you the cherries though

I'm similar, not a lot I don't like, and willing to try almost anything (including insects).  However, one thing I have tried which I could not stomach was andouilette sausage.

I was on a work night out, someone's leaving do, and we went to a French restaurant.  The girl sitting beside me admitted she wasn't really into foreign food that much, and opted for this sausage.  Meanwhile, I was giving it all the 'I'll eat anything' patter and ordered snails for my starter.

Anyway, she took one bite of her French sausage and had to spit it out (cue Kenneth Williams!!).  Smart arse me decided to have a taste, and it was frankly the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten.  The filling wasn't meat, as such, but chopped up pieces of a pig's small intestine, which probably explained why it tasted of shit (not that I've eaten shit, you understand, but 80% of our taste comes through smell, so it tasted like the smell of shit).

I had it as part of a set menu in France once.  Restaurant just brought the food they had made along with a massive amount of bread and some jugs of wine.   I cut into the sausage and a bit of spongy intestine sort of sprung out.  I immediately thought....oh ******* hell.  My wife couldn't stomach it.  I ate it though, chopped it into small pieces and ate it with a lot of bread and a lot of wine,  One of my least favourite meals in France ever.

You need to frequent better restaurants.

Another correct for you Ray :thumb:

Abalone...I've got friends who go wild for it and it's not cheap either, but for me, it's a bit tasteless.

One thing I loved about being in Argentina was that their default for steak is well done. They know their stuff, having the best steaks on the planet.

Used to go to a local restaurant when staying at my wee cottage in France they had Tet a Veaue on the menu one day and I thought why not, turns out it is cows cheeks, it's the first time my meal arrived and it needed a shave, revolting.

Oh I love marzipan..so there I've said it!!.

One thing I loved about being in Argentina was that their default for steak is well done. They know their stuff, having the best steaks on the planet.

Argentine meat is one of the worst in the world in terms of bovine growth hormones and antibiotics. It's really not the best in the world by any means.

Liver and kidney. Do not get it. They taste & feel exactly as you'd expect them to, which is half the problem. Like biting into organs. Ick.

Saying that, I had sweetbreads recently, survived them okay and didn't vomit all down myself so maybe it's time to try them again.

Snails are also a problem for me. They taste okay but my brain just cannot process the idea of eating them. It silently screams "ARGH SNAAAAAAAIL! That thing in the GARDEN. The SLIMY thing! WTF is wrong with you? It's IN BITS IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN BETWEEN YOUR TEETH AND ON YOUR TONGUE GET IT OUT GET IT OUT GET IT OUT" the whole time and it's not really a chilled out or enjoyable experience at all. 

Marzipan is a no no as well. Horrible stuff. 

Argentine meat is one of the worst in the world in terms of bovine growth hormones and antibiotics. It's really not the best in the world by any means.

Probably why well done is the default option.

Chinese food. Used to live e it but there's so much MSG in it I don't enjoy it anymore.

MSG is glorious.

Seems a bit of a sweeping generalisation to say Chinese food as a whole has so much in it. 

scottish_chicP

I could happily sit and eat a jar of green olives. Love them.

A fillet of steak cooked properly is amazing as well :2thumbsup:

When I was a kid my mum regularly gave me beef olives for tea. I've not had them since I've been an adult and just the thought of them makes me want to boke.

What was that about? My mother did the same-never heard of them since.

Only thing i have refused to eat was a boiled egg that had a chick inside it. Chinese place in Korea was mad for this stuff.

******* disgusting to just watch one being eaten. 

:thumb:

We eat various types of olives every evening.

A good rib-eye steak or an entrec?te is lovely too cooked medium rare.

I could name loads.

But I'll just use one.

Quark

On it's own it's a bit meh, but blended with some chocolate whey or mixed berries is a different story. Lot of BBers use quark as a less boak alternative to cottage cheese

scottish_chicP

Chocolate ice cream is a waste of good chocolate and a waste of good ice cream.

Agreed! I love chocolate but hate chocolate ice cream or chocolate milk.

Sushi - don't think it tastes horrible but any time I've had it I thought it was kinda bland. Maybe I need to have it at a proper sushi resteraunt. I'll keep an open mind

Same. I discovered these a few years back in Tesco. Wee tins stop me trying to eat a whole jar. I don't even like jalape?o much but they're really lovely.

0786c74ae7708f6e7faea23b0d5387fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Not the food itself but how it's prepared...I don't get folk who eat steaks well done.

Yup agree, also when you order fish and they present you with the whole thing, I am not gonny eat the heid so why is it on my plate..grrr

Archived