Best city for a birthday getaway

Jeff

Alright guys, looking for some suggestions.

My birthday is approaching and I'm bored of celebrating it around here and fancied getting away somewhere. Was thinking of Berlin but currently window shopping. Anyone know any places worth visiting which are fairly low budget (e.g not USA)?

Cheers

Vienna, Munich, Amsterdam, Madrid, Valencia, Sevilla, Copenhagen, Prague, Rome, and Lisbon - to name just a few - are all great and interesting cities which are very much worth visiting too. It does sort of depend on where your interests lie and what you would want to do and see though.

Try Wroclaw in Poland. A magnificent square and very reasonably priced. Direct flights from Edinburgh. (Ryanair - if they have enough pilots).

Belfast is a quite superb place to visit: very friendly, loads of great bars/restaurants/clubs and lots of things to do.

See above. Looking more for a sight seeing, quiet one :) getting old haha

What sort of weekend?

With the lads? Or a couples trip to wine and dine?

Also what time of year?

Prague, Krakow are amongst my faves, cheap and lots to do

Going to Copenhagen with Mrs for my birthday. Gdansk also looks good.

Sorry just caught up on the other comments

Stand by my recommendations.

Kracow or Prague sound like they'd be ideal for you. Any questions give me a shout

Stewie Griffin

Barcelona is good plenty to see and do . One of my favourite places I've been though was Oslo thought it was a really nice city if a little expensive

Belfast is a quite superb place to visit: very friendly, loads of great bars/restaurants/clubs and lots of things to do.

Belfast surprises a lot of people. I'm there every 2-3 years as a good mate lives there. Having not visited Spain in 34 years, I'm spending a week there from Saturday, splitting my time between Barcelona and Madrid and getting a coach between the 2. Looking forward to it.

Belfast surprises a lot of people. I'm there every 2-3 years as a good mate lives there. Having not visited Spain in 34 years, I'm spending a week there from Saturday, splitting my time between Barcelona and Madrid and getting a coach between the 2. Looking forward to it.

It does as it is so welcoming and superb!

Enjoy Spain! Madrid is amazing, hope you enjoy Barcelona.

Bergen or Reykjavik.

Edit - whoops...just noticed the 'fairly low budget' qualifier!

Although both can be done at a reasonable price. 

Brugge is a lovely place for a weekend/short break.

Ghent as well.

Even Brussels.

I find Belgium easy to travel through.Good train service for all the major towns and cities.

Doctor FinnBarr

Brussels is good, plenty to do and see. We're going at the end of November and taking in a Molenbeek game whilst we're there.

Brugge is a lovely place for a weekend/short break.

Aye as short a break as possible and get out of there!

Haha. All I'm saying is no wonder the Belgian have strong lager!

I'm being a bit harsh of course. It's nice and quaint but for some reason lacked any real atmosphere. Can't quite describe it but Belgium is just very "flat". Both literally and metaphorically. Imo

Wouldn't be fussed to go back to Belgium.

Paris is one of the few cities I've ever been to that actually lives up to the hype. And as someone posted earlier on doesn't have to be expensive. In terms of accommodation and day to day costs cheaper than London for example.

Paris is one of the few cities I've ever been to that actually lives up to the hype. And as someone posted earlier on doesn't have to be expensive. In terms of accommodation and day to day costs cheaper than London for example.

Agree with all this - don't drink beer , but if you do, stay away from irish bars. 

I thought Berlin was good (and one of the cheapest places I've been) and Rome was incredible - but not sure how this fits the demographic of your group. Rome doesn't rock at night. 

If you go to Berlin , book  breakfast at the top of the Reichstag (you don't need to book a  normal visit in advance but you do for breakfast) - missus did it for me and it made for a  good day. 

Ultra cheap - Bratislava  (on Ryanair - LOL)  - you can do the place in one day , two max , they've spent a LOT of money restoring the city centre , it's on the Danube too then take a train to Vienna (1 hr). Vienna is the classiest city I've been to.

Fly to Brussels, train to Ghent. Great place for drinking and eating , town square is cool with lots happening, the mediaeval part is a Unesco site and just the "normal" arhitecture is stunning.  . Well worth a visit. Put it on yer bucketlist, at least.  I've been to Bruges/Antwerp/Amsterdam  but this place is way better IMO. 

My mrs will love it

Half of it anyway! Make sure you're sick for a day while she goes out so you can check out the other half in peace. You don't want her knowing you're going to the rijksmuseum and the van Gogh museum behind her back

Half of it anyway! Make sure you're sick for a day while she goes out so you can check out the other half in peace. You don't want her knowing you're going to the rijksmuseum and the van Gogh museum behind her back

Problem is that she always wants me to chum her when shes window shopping

Amsterdam has it all, from sights and culture to drugs and hookers.

I didnt particularly like Amsterdam when I went as we were continually offered heroin in the streets by (very) pushy dealers. Not been back since then.

The red light district was amazing, though!!

Decided on Berlin. Anyone been before and recomend anywhere in particular to visit?

Visited Berlin in April...I'll post a few things later

However avoid the TV tower..long Q's and even longer q's inside which you don't see..and all for a view.....you can get a view from the Park Hotel for free

Do visit the Olympic stadium even if there is no match on...well worth the trip.

Find the river and you'll get some decent night life as you walk along its banks to the various pubs

Museum Island is decent if you like that sort of thing

Visited Berlin in April...I'll post a few things later

However avoid the TV tower..long Q's and even longer q's inside which you don't see..and all for a view.....you can get a view from the Park Hotel for free

Do visit the Olympic stadium even if there is no match on...well worth the trip.

Find the river and you'll get some decent night life as you walk along its banks to the various pubs

Museum Island is decent if you like that sort of thing

Im going in a few weeks with the misses so very keen to get some ideas for a 3 day visit.

Im going in a few weeks with the misses so very keen to get some ideas for a d3 day visit.

What are you interested in.

Loads of musuems to visit.

TripAdvisor a good place to start.

Im going in a few weeks with the misses so very keen to get some ideas for a 3 day visit.

Charlottenburg Palace is good (you'd think it was miles away from Berlin the way it's portrayed) and easy to get to.

The Reichstag is well worth a visit - do the  breakfast (I posted earlier ) it's a bit different and you'll get good views of the city.

Brandenburg Gate is iconic and worth a look - take a walk down from there to the coffee shops and central Berlin. Always something going on. 

Near Brandenburg Gate is  a tower in the middle of a roundabout in the tiergarten  (seriously Google it) , 3Euros (I think) , me and the missus walked up it. If you can't be bothered with the Reichstag this is  a good place to see a panorama of the city. The tiergarten is good for a long stroll if the weather is nice. 

Some more ideas - https://imgur.com/gallery/Vakjd

Neilson's Shank

Try Wroclaw in Poland. A magnificent square and very reasonably priced. Direct flights from Edinburgh. (Ryanair - if they have enough pilots).

Seconded, great wee city. Zoo is great value.

What are you interested in.

Loads of musuems to visit.

TripAdvisor a good place to start.

Yeh Ive done a fair bit of research so Ive a fair idea. A mix of cultural stuff during the day and a tour of some of the more unusual boozers at night is how it will pan out.

Its always good to hear from folk who have actually 'been there and seen things'

Archived