World Cup qualifiers.....

Hendricks

6 consecutive days of matches with most countries playing twice. This month and next see the end of the group stages for the European qualifying. 

France v Holland is todays big game and the French with an obscenely strong squad are in front 1-0. Holland are in real danger of missing out on a 2nd consecutive Championships.

Span v Italy on Saturday should be a good match too and in the South American qualifying Uruguay v Argentina later today is a really big game.

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poorest Dutch team in my life time. Seems like players leaving Holland early is impacting their development perhaps?

Belgium are pounding Gibraltar 4-0 and not even near half time yet. There really needs to be a qualifying tournament for the small teams. 

Who knows we might even win it if we get forced to join in. 

Belgium are pounding Gibraltar 4-0 and not even near half time yet. There really needs to be a qualifying tournament for the small teams.

A eurovision style set up

You may be interested in this cluster **** coming in around a years time.........   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Nations_League

...a bit disco

Faroes just scored v Portugal.

2-1 now

Jesus! How is that even a thing?

Its seriously flown under the radar right!!  I'm sure Europe's elite clubs are going to be thrilled with all these extra additional competitive matches. I've read up on it a fair bit and I actually think (fingers crossed) it might actually be beneficial to countries of Scotland's level.

Belgium go 5 up and get a man sent off. How does that even happen?

It's annoyed them so much they've popped in a 6th.

6 consecutive days of matches with most countries playing twice. This month and next see the end of the group stages for the European qualifying.

France v Holland is todays big game and the French with an obscenely strong squad are in front 1-0. Holland are in real danger of missing out on a 2nd consecutive Championships.

Span v Italy on Saturday should be a good match too and in the South American qualifying Uruguay v Argentina later today is a really big game.

Cheers

Maybe Holland and Scotland could play a tournament next summer

Sweden getting better is a big risk for Holland missing out again

Tzoilis captaining Greece tonight...

Staggering that we had a player of that level and he showed so little. 

Belgium go 5 up and get a man sent off. How does that even happen?

Witsel is quite possibly the dirtiest ******* in Europe

...a bit disco

Tzoilis captaining Greece tonight...

That'll explain the ***** letting me down on my acca.

...a bit disco

Nope. Our guy had the initial B

Branimir.

...a bit disco

Looks like Luxembourg have just bust my 4 fold

Luxembourg and Greece let down my 7.

France are a very tidy wee team to watch.

Holland are abysmal. Always loved watching the Dutch so it's quite sad to see their demise over the last few years.

The curse of modern football striking again? The Dutch league, like Scotland, doesn't have the financial clout of many of Europe's leagues meaning players can be tapped up young and cheap before their development hits the right point.

I hope not.

France are a very tidy wee team to watch.

Holland are abysmal. Always loved watching the Dutch so it's quite sad to see their demise over the last few years.

The curse of modern football striking again? The Dutch league, like Scotland, doesn't have the financial clout of many of Europe's leagues meaning players can be tapped up young and cheap before their development hits the right point.

I hope not.

Interesting point regarding the Dutch, I thought it was more due to a lack of talent but when has that ever been the case with the Dutch. The Ajax team have a number of exciting young players as do the Feyenoord team so will be interesting if there is a new cycle coming through or if as you say their development is not hitting the full potential.

Interesting point regarding the Dutch, I thought it was more due to a lack of talent but when has that ever been the case with the Dutch. The Ajax team have a number of exciting young players as do the Feyenoord team so will be interesting if there is a new cycle coming through or if as you say their development is not hitting the full potential.

I've noticed Ajax signing a few young South Americans recently. Don't know if there's a slight shortage in exciting homegrown players or what. Just seems like it's been a few years since the last exciting Dutch youngster to come on the scene.

Depay was a bit of a flop although he's still young and doing well at Lyon. Ajax' biggest talent just now seems like Dolberg and he's Danish.

I've noticed Ajax signing a few young South Americans recently. Don't know if there's a slight shortage in exciting homegrown players or what. Just seems like it's been a few years since the last exciting Dutch youngster to come on the scene.

Depay was a bit of a flop although he's still young and doing well at Lyon. Ajax' biggest talent just now seems like Dolberg and he's Danish.

Be interesting to see how Klaasen does as well. France were light years ahead of them though, it is frightening the potential in that team.

Be interesting to see how Klaasen does as well. France were light years ahead of them though, it is frightening the potential in that team.

Didn't realise that was Mbappe's first goal tonight for France. Think that's what the commentator said.

Quite scary that Dembele and Mbappe are just laddies. :lol:

Bowmans_Boot

in the South American qualifying Uruguay v Argentina later today is a really big game.

4-0 Argentina. Get your money on it.

4-0 Argentina. Get your money on it.

A lot together a game than that, 0-0 with 15 mins left.

Shock result of the day so far:   Chile 0 Paraguay 3

A lot of todays papers have Gordon strachan stating that tonights game is NOT a "must win"!!!

Seriously what planet is he on??

Of course its a must win,if we want to qualify then every game is a "must win"

20 yrs is far too long for a country like ours to go without qualifying for a major tournament! Guy doesnt have a bloody clue!!

I was in the Stade de France last night, and much as I've praised France over the past two years, that performance was top notch. That's France beaten the Dutch 4 times on the spin, two at home and two away, scoring 10 goals.

Les Bleus will go far in Russia next year.

It's not anymore games. All they have done is shuffle the games about removing the majority of friendlies.

My head hurt trying to figure that out. It seems a rather complicated process.

If we win our last 4 games, we have a chance of qualifying.

4 wins puts Scotland on 20 points, both Slovakia and Slovenia still have to play England away and play each other. If they draw their game against each other, if we win our 4 games, we will definitely finish above both of them.

If one of them wins, we would need 4 wins plus England taking at least a point of the one that wins, realistically it would have to be England because I can't see Slovakia or Slovenia dropping points at home to Malta or Lithuania.

We can draw 1 game and still qualify if England beats both Slovakia/Slovenia and either they draw with each other, meaning we can draw with either of them or if Slovenia beat Slovakia, we can draw with Slovakia and still qualify on 18 points.

The 8 best 2nd place finishers will enter a Play Off. This table excludes results against the lowest ranked team in each group, so either 4 wins or 3 wins and a draw in our last 4 games would see Scotland finish on 12/14 points in the best 2nd placed table, in previous years, Croatia qualified for the Play Off on 11 points and Ireland qualified on 12 points the previous WC.

If we win our last 4 games, we have a chance of qualifying.

4 wins puts Scotland on 20 points, both Slovakia and Slovenia still have to play England away and play each other. If they draw their game against each other, if we win our 4 games, we will definitely finish above both of them.

If one of them wins, we would need 4 wins plus England taking at least a point of the one that wins, realistically it would have to be England because I can't see Slovakia or Slovenia dropping points at home to Malta or Lithuania.

We can draw 1 game and still qualify if England beats both Slovakia/Slovenia and either they draw with each other, meaning we can draw with either of them or if Slovenia beat Slovakia, we can draw with Slovakia and still qualify on 18 points.

The 8 best 2nd place finishers will enter a Play Off. This table excludes results against the lowest ranked team in each group, so either 4 wins or 3 wins and a draw in our last 4 games would see Scotland finish on 12/14 points in the best 2nd placed table, in previous years, Croatia qualified for the Play Off on 11 points and Ireland qualified on 12 points the previous WC.

Is it head to head or GD if we finish on the same points as a rival? Just trying to get my head round an earlier poster saying that Strachan reckons tonight is NOT a must win game.

With Slovakia 4 points ahead of us, if they won and we drew tonight we'd be 6 points behind them, meaning we'd have to rely (in the case of GD) on England turning them over by some margin (they're +6 without the Malta game they've played and we are -5 without our Malta game) and then give them a hiding ourselves. If it's head to head we still have to better a 0-3 reverse at Hampden. I've not read that Strachan doesn't think this is must win but if he has said that, he's off his feckin head.

Obviously it's just a possible scenario but he should be presuming Slovakia will win and send Scotland out there to ensure it doesn't come down to goals even if we can pull this off. Another scenario: If we draw tonight and Slovakia win, would they and England play out a nice wee 0-0 at Wembley, leaving England as all but certain group winners and Slovakia just having to beat Malta at home to guarantee second in the group?

Four wins is absolutely required and it would take a shock result (Slovakia win) at Wembley for us not to finish second.

It's not anymore games. All they have done is shuffle the games about removing the majority of friendlies.

It's definitely more games. This is in addition to Euro Qualifying not in place of it!

Jam Tarts 1874

If my luck doesn't change this international break extravaganza is going to leave me penniless.  So many unexpected results yesterday.

Is it head to head or GD if we finish on the same points as a rival? Just trying to get my head round an earlier poster saying that Strachan reckons tonight is NOT a must win game.

With Slovakia 4 points ahead of us, if they won and we drew tonight we'd be 6 points behind them, meaning we'd have to rely (in the case of GD) on England turning them over by some margin (they're +6 without the Malta game they've played and we are -5 without our Malta game) and then give them a hiding ourselves. If it's head to head we still have to better a 0-3 reverse at Hampden. I've not read that Strachan doesn't think this is must win but if he has said that, he's off his feckin head.

Obviously it's just a possible scenario but he should be presuming Slovakia will win and send Scotland out there to ensure it doesn't come down to goals even if we can pull this off. Another scenario: If we draw tonight and Slovakia win, would they and England play out a nice wee 0-0 at Wembley, leaving England as all but certain group winners and Slovakia just having to beat Malta at home to guarantee second in the group?

Four wins is absolutely required and it would take a shock result (Slovakia win) at Wembley for us not to finish second.

Goal difference and then goals scored if teams finish level on points.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Nigeria 2 Cameroon 0 at ht.

Djoum getting splinters in his arse. Return match on Monday

International football weekend is good for one thing - getting to do shite like walk over the new bridge on Sunday without missing decent games. Scotland will win tonight and against Malta. Lose to Slovenia when we all have hopes up again, it's what generally happens. Even under Levein we went into the last match against the Dutch with a chance and they beat us with a reserve squad after Miller missed a sitter.

International football weekend is good for one thing - getting to do shite like walk over the new bridge on Sunday without missing decent games. Scotland will win tonight and against Malta. Lose to Slovenia when we all have hopes up again, it's what generally happens. Even under Levein we went into the last match against the Dutch with a chance and they beat us with a reserve squad after Miller missed a sitter.

That was Burley but you're right, Holland could not have cared less that night and when Miller hit the goalie lying on the line when he had the whole goal to pick from, you just knew. David Weir ****** up gifted Robben the winner.

We were absolutely robbed under Levein by a terrible refereeing decision against Cz Rep. There was an even worse call stopped us going 2 up in Wales during the next campaign. The latter didn't excuse drawing at home with Macedonia and Levein was punted. Ironically, Strachan's first game was IMHO our worst result. 1-0 up on Wales and they had to take Bale off at h-t, we still lost 2-1.

A lot of todays papers have Gordon strachan stating that tonights game is NOT a "must win"!!!

Seriously what planet is he on??

Of course its a must win,if we want to qualify then every game is a "must win"

20 yrs is far too long for a country like ours to go without qualifying for a major tournament! Guy doesnt have a bloody clue!!

I had no grey hairs last century, when Scotland qualified. :(

Shanks said no

Hughes and Lafferty both start for Northern Ireland.

Free on Sky / Virgin, don't need to be subscribed to SS

Archived