Favourite Beer

jimmyjambo

Temptation, Russian Stout (10%) - Durham Brewery, Bowburn, Co. Durham

As you can see it's black with a decent long lasting head, strong at 10%, tbh I've had better, maybe I expected more flavours from it.

image.jpeg.d1a356ea7e65a9b922b4678f8f885b96.jpeg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• jimmyjambo

• Dawnrazor

• heartsfc_fan

Now this is much more like it, compared to the beer I had last night (Russian Stout)

Wilderen Cuvee Clarisse (9.2%) - Wilderen Brewery, Wilderen, Belgium

A lovely strong ruby ale, lots of lovely dried fruit flavours, very nice.

£3.19 for 330ml bottle from Beers of Europe.

image.jpeg.4795d9e69e725d0d2b8637c872bd68e2.jpeg

• 1 month later...

My new favourite beer is from Cold Town Beer in Edinburgh - slight Hearts connection ?.

Beer is called Ya Jammy Bas'  and has an ABV of 5.1%

You can get them from ALDI as part of their latest Scottish Beer Festival.

ColdTownYaJammyBas.jpg

Edited by ginga
Got it wrong

14 hours ago, ginga said:

My new favourite beer is from Cold Town Beer in Edinburgh - slight Hearts connection ?.

Beer is called Ya Jammy Bas'  and has an ABV of 5.1%

You can get them from ALDI as part of their latest Scottish Beer Festival.

ColdTownYaJammyBas.jpg

i've had the prowd and helles and their standard lager. both were decent

I had 4 or 5 pints of this the other night we me and the wife were out for a meal, it's absolutely gorgeous on draft, I've not had it in a bottle but will definitely be looking for it, Bowland Brewery have some lovley beers.

Screenshot_20221016-170732_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Dawnrazor

We were in Berlin during September and I had two exceptional beers there - plenty other decent ones, but these were both outstanding:

image.jpeg.9e91d3a16465ea6a3059dd087b5869f9.jpeg

image.jpeg.79ecd0ec2e1c274f9bc38b41ad589efe.jpeg

Both were unfiltered and light on the hops (just how I like it!) and very tasty. The Potsdamer Stange had a fair amount of wheat malt in it, from what I remember, but didn't describe itself as a wheat-beer. I don't suppose there'll be much chance of finding that one in Britain, but maybe the Grevensteiner will be possible to track down given that it's brewed by Veltins.

• 6 months later...

I'm in a Vocation Brewery fad, some lovely strong IPA's and some of the best Stouts I've ever tasted, also, Buxton Brewery is worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...
jimmyjambo
On 20/04/2023 at 19:46, Dawnrazor said:

I'm in a Vocation Brewery fad, some lovely strong IPA's and some of the best Stouts I've ever tasted, also, Buxton Brewery is worth a try.

Agree, their stouts and ipa’s are superb.

currently drinking this, lovely

80C48ECE-CBD6-4846-98E5-C154F97C90F1.jpeg

Found myself in Fitzgeralds of Sandycove last night, one of the finest pubs in South Dublin.  I had myself one of their pizzas and a couple of pints of Kinnegar Scraggy Bay.  Not somewhere yiz are likely to be passing any time soon, but I thought I'd mention it.

Fitzgeralds-Albert-House-for-sale-Bar-Ar

img-prodotto_I8465_S457.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&i

John Gentleman
4 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Found myself in Fitzgeralds of Sandycove last night, one of the finest pubs in South Dublin.  I had myself one of their pizzas and a couple of pints of Kinnegar Scraggy Bay.  Not somewhere yiz are likely to be passing any time soon, but I thought I'd mention it.

Fitzgeralds-Albert-House-for-sale-Bar-Ar

img-prodotto_I8465_S457.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&i

Looks grand.

I don't like beer any more. Strange that, 'cos I feckin loved it only last night. 

jambos are go!

The beer drinkers of Scotland vote with their pint purchases each and every day. Have done for decades.

It is a fact not an opinion that Tennant's Lager is this great beer drinking nations choice and delight.

Dawnrazor
4 minutes ago, jimmyjambo said:

Already got my order in 😀.

Some really nice ipa’s in that deal.

The Life & Death is one to be watched, 6.5% and just goes down too easy!

stevie1874
3 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

The beer drinkers of Scotland vote with their pint purchases each and every day. Have done for decades.

It is a fact not an opinion that Tennant's Lager is this great beer drinking nations choice and delight.

West coast favourite I’d imagine 

As an enthusiastic Guinness drinker here’s nothing worse than ending up in some trendy craft beer place that doesn’t sell it when you ask for a pint… 

Actually the worse thing is when seconds later they recommend some stout they sell and either say it is just like Guinness, or better than Guinness. It isn’t. 
No pints today but I have just poured an entire bottle of it into a cast iron casserole dish for a nice steak and mushroom stew that will be ready in time for my dinner. 

10 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

It's the beer drinkers choice because its cheap. Not quality. It tastes like cat piss but it'll get the drinkers drunk without costing a lot.

Echo falls, Blossom Hill etc are all shite red wines but they're very popular because they'll only cost about £5 a bottle. 

Dawnrazor
Just now, Bauld said:

It's the beer drinkers choice because its cheap. Not quality. It tastes like cat piss but it'll get the drinkers drunk without costing a lot.

Echo falls, Blossom Hill etc are all shite red wines but they're very popular because they'll only cost about £5 a bottle. 

👍

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

👍

Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that. I won't touch shit lager.

But I am partial to a cheap red wine for an evening drink to send me staggering to bed :biggrin2:

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

:rofl:

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

jambos are go!
12 hours ago, Bauld said:

You are posting an opinion on why Scots drink Tennant's Lager. I posted a fact that it is Scotland's choice.

jimmyjambo
5 hours ago, ...a bit disco said:

Like a Vocation now and again.

Having this just now, this is from their Love & Hate range, absolutely lovely, but at 8.5 % it’ll only be the 1. 
Im getting into the IPA’s more and more, it was always the stouts/porters were my go to beers.

98FDC525-ADE2-4B18-8256-FB3C81C64A47.jpeg

Edited by jimmyjambo

...a bit disco
12 minutes ago, jimmyjambo said:

Having this just now, this is from their Love & Hate range, absolutely lovely, but at 8.5 % it’ll only be the 1. 
Im getting into the IPA’s more and more, it was always the stouts/porters were my go to beers.

98FDC525-ADE2-4B18-8256-FB3C81C64A47.jpeg

Nice one.

Love some of the Tiny Rebel beers and IPAs as well.

On 06/05/2023 at 15:42, Tazio said:

As an enthusiastic Guinness drinker here’s nothing worse than ending up in some trendy craft beer place that doesn’t sell it when you ask for a pint… 

Actually the worse thing is when seconds later they recommend some stout they sell and either say it is just like Guinness, or better than Guinness. It isn’t. 
No pints today but I have just poured an entire bottle of it into a cast iron casserole dish for a nice steak and mushroom stew that will be ready in time for my dinner. 

I've known many people from this island who've had the misfortune to drink Guinness outside of this island.  None of them - not a single one I've ever met - would ever care to repeat the experience.  That said, I'd imagine GB Guinness would be alright in a casserole.  :whistling: 

It's an almost universal truth that Irish Guinness drinkers switch to lager when off the island (or sometimes to ales when in GB).  It's something I find odd because I rarely tend to drink Guinness.  I mostly drink pale ales and IPAs, so I look forward to trying local versions wherever I go, while my Guinness-drinking pals sit around grumbling into glasses of something vaguely brown or vaguely yellow and fizzy. :laugh: 

13 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I've known many people from this island who've had the misfortune to drink Guinness outside of this island.  None of them - not a single one I've ever met - would ever care to repeat the experience.  That said, I'd imagine GB Guinness would be alright in a casserole.  :whistling: 

It's an almost universal truth that Irish Guinness drinkers switch to lager when off the island (or sometimes to ales when in GB).  It's something I find odd because I rarely tend to drink Guinness.  I mostly drink pale ales and IPAs, so I look forward to trying local versions wherever I go, while my Guinness-drinking pals sit around grumbling into glasses of something vaguely brown or vaguely yellow and fizzy. :laugh: 

Uk Guinness isn’t a thing anymore and the London Guinness brewery no longer exists. All Guinness sold is now from Dublin and the further afield markets use a base brewed in Dublin. To be honest the Guinness I’ve drunk in Ireland isn’t the mythical perfect pint and varies in quality as much as it does anywhere else. I’ve had as many average pints of it in Ireland as I’ve had great pints. But it sure as hell helps the sales for naive tourists. 

Doctor FinnBarr
16 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

You are posting an opinion on why Scots drink Tennant's Lager. I posted a fact that it is Scotland's choice.

Fair enough but it's chemical based shit though.

12 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Oddly enough I bumped into an Irish Guinness drinker in an Edinburgh pub (Guildford maybe, it wasn't yesterday) who claimed the pint was better than what he could get in Ireland.

21 hours ago, Tazio said:

Uk Guinness isn’t a thing anymore and the London Guinness brewery no longer exists. All Guinness sold is now from Dublin and the further afield markets use a base brewed in Dublin. To be honest the Guinness I’ve drunk in Ireland isn’t the mythical perfect pint and varies in quality as much as it does anywhere else. I’ve had as many average pints of it in Ireland as I’ve had great pints. But it sure as hell helps the sales for naive tourists. 

UK Guinness isn't a thing.  Guinness that has to travel across water is.  That's why it's different here and in NI, because it travels by rail and road.  I'm pretty sure there's an explanation of why somewhere on the web, but it's related to transport logistics and costs.  I don't know if the same explanation would apply to other beers that are only brewed in one place, though logically it might.

Guinness is variable on this island for a variety of technical reasons.  Diageo are pretty good at maintaining consistency, but the effort often falls down in the pubs themselves. Those of my mates who drink Guinness will avoid certain pubs and only drink in others for that reason.  But they generally won't touch it at all when they're abroad.

21 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Oddly enough I bumped into an Irish Guinness drinker in an Edinburgh pub (Guildford maybe, it wasn't yesterday) who claimed the pint was better than what he could get in Ireland.

I'd be fascinated to meet him, because it would be a genuine first in my lifetime.

On the other hand, I could introduce you to a couple of dozen people who have been persuaded by the "it's all the same now" line in the last few years, and left almost full pints behind for their troubles.  Most of those experiences were in London, though some were in the north-west of England and one or two in Scotland. 

Not, I should say, that I'd really know, as it's not often I'd drink the stuff.  I usually drink pale ales and IPAs from small Irish breweries.  It can be fun sometimes trying to organise a few pints with any Guinness-drinking buddies, because the pubs that sell the most respectable pints of Guinness are usually not known for their craft beers, and vice versa.

• 1 month later...

A bit thinner than the King Slayer but you could drink more of these I'd say, fragrant and Hoppy but not too much.

Screenshot_20230617-201504~2.png

Bloody HELL be careful with this one!

Very lightly fruity, drinks like a standard IPA, no hint of it's strength, a dangerous wreck the hoos joos this!

Screenshot_20230617-205157~2.png

Only 7.2% this one!

Not as nice as the Aoraki I'd say, different hops I'd say, still a nice beer, cloudy with a citrusy fruity tang.

Some breweries have really perfected the art of hiding strong beers, too many wolf in sheeps clothing!

*Edit*

I had to edit this 3 times, nothing to do with the strength of the beer tonight!

Screenshot_20230617-211743~2.png

Edited by Dawnrazor

5 hours ago, Irufushi said:

I’m at the stage now where as long as it’s wet I’ll drink it. Cheers 🥴

Pretty much the stage I'm at with women as well.

• 8 months later...
Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, escobri said:

Couple of these tonight whilst watching the golf. Very good very nice.

MAT_1359398_PCE_LT_1200x630.jpg

Yes they are good, if you get the chance try their Amber Beer which is also worth a try, as is their Utenos Dark.

escobri
41 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes they are good, if you get the chance try their Amber Beer which is also worth a try, as is their Utenos Dark.

That's me on a mission to find them and try them,cheers 🍻 

Jim_Duncan

Fish and chips tonight. Haven't had a beer for ages. What beer would the JKB connoisseurs recommend to accompany the battered fish?

6 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Fish and chips tonight. Haven't had a beer for ages. What beer would the JKB connoisseurs recommend to accompany the battered fish?

Too late now but a nice crisp lager would be just the job. 

Jim_Duncan
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Too late now but a nice crisp lager would be just the job. 

Wife brought some Innis&Gunn green tins. Could have been worse. 

Canscot
On 25/08/2017 at 15:25, Jambomb said:

Innis & Gunn original or rum finish, Leffe blonde/Bruin in the house.

Like Innis and Gunn larger for easy drinking in the pub.

And special mention for Blue Moon, the oranges just send you loopy !!

But TBH most lager and beer is fine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You sound like someone I could get along with!  I love Leffe Blonde, Innis and Gunn and Blue Moon. In fact I have all 3 in my beer fridge at the moment!