Celtic in the Champions League

Sten Guns

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is not good for Scottish football.

But the media keep telling us it is.

Why?

Ah it is great for Scottish football if you ignore the financial benefits :whistling:

The Internet

Should the media be saying that having a Scottish team in Europe's elite is a bad thing? Should Celtic stop qualifying for this tournament? What do people expect here?

Why?

They only see Scottish football as two clubs and as one is in the CL then we should all be eternally grateful.

Everyone on here wants Scottish clubs to crash and burn in Europe. I for one am happy they made it. I want Scottish clubs competing in Europe. The more points Celtic pick up helps the Co efficiency which every other Scottish team (ourselves included) manage to destroy by going out in early rounds.

Yes Celtic gets obscene amounts of money but I have expected them or rangers to win the league every year anyway (born in mid 80s so used to it)

Just my opinion and I am a Jambo through and through but I will watch them in Europe and want them to win especially against the English teams.

Everyone on here wants Scottish clubs to crash and burn in Europe. I for one am happy they made it. I want Scottish clubs competing in Europe. The more points Celtic pick up helps the Co efficiency which every other Scottish team (ourselves included) manage to destroy by going out in early rounds.

Yes Celtic gets obscene amounts of money but I have expected them or rangers to win the league every year anyway (born in mid 80s so used to it)

Just my opinion and I am a Jambo through and through but I will watch them in Europe and want them to win especially against the English teams.

Feck the coefficient!

UEFA are changing the rules on that from next season:

"A new system for the club coefficients: clubs will be judged on their own records (deletion of the country share for individual club coefficient unless that coefficient is lower than 20% of the association's coefficient)."

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2398899.html

Should the media be saying that having a Scottish team in Europe's elite is a bad thing? Should Celtic stop qualifying for this tournament? What do people expect here?

That's another discussion. All decent questions.

This is about the damage the financial disparity does to the league though.

Celtic are earning another ?20 million whilst nobody can beat them. Further increasing the gulf.

Is this good for the Scottish game. Yes or no?

Feck the coefficient!

"A new system for the club coefficients: clubs will be judged on their own records (deletion of the country share for individual club coefficient unless that coefficient is lower than 20% of the association's coefficient)."

that is just for seeding of clubs. We still need our clubs getting wins in Europe to try and get more clubs in

Feck the coefficient!

do you think we have contributed over 20% to the Co efficiency?

gorgie rd eh11

They could say it's good for celtic but bad for everyone else, the truth.

manaliveits105

Our media is based and controlled in the provincial city of Glasgow for some strange reason - even small things like reporting weather or children in need go round the capitals of the country London Belfast Cardiff and ............. the Weeg ? . Until this changes they will keep fawning over the uglies.

The reality is that one teams success, could have a long term benefit for Scottish football as a whole, should the co-efficient rise thus granting more berths to our league.

However, it's the short term effects which are creating a huge gulf in our domestic game, which could spiral into a long term monopoly, perhaps even making the aforementioned long term benefits somewhat pointless.

I've been saying it for a long time and I still agree, the worst thing UEFA did was scrap the UEFA Cup and form the Europa League. While the format of the Europa isn't bad, the amount of teams means that the economical benefits for clubs is fractional to the CL.

UEFA need to rethink the whole structure completely. However, they've dug themselves into a massive hole as the powerful clubs in European football will never allow UEFA to consider taking away their millions even if it is for the good of the game.

It's a broken system.

every time i hear someone say this it just sounds like jealousy to me, 

"but celtic get more money" ... yea, guess what. they are a bigger club than anyone else in the league, it happens, 

"but the gap keeps increasing" ... its up to the other teams to close it then, not celtic. 

"how is it good for Scottish football"  tell me how having weaker teams and therefore a weaker league overall is better for Scottish football? by that logic is the welsh league is better than the Scottish premier league?

if hearts qualified for the Europa league group stages and secured ?2 million would you be crying about how unfair it is on ross county? 

whats better for Scottish football is all teams try to improve, and yes that means Celtic as well

Money is ruining this great game; be it in Scotland or Europe. The fact that the top four teams, in the top four leagues, go straight into the Champions League Group Stage, tells you that.

That wasn't the question asked however.

There is no simple answer to the hooped demon money train. They will make buckets of cash in the next three months and will, no doubt, become even stronger.

What can we hope for ? Personally, I feel if other Scottish teams are to progress to group stage of a tournament, the authorities need to have a serious look at our season start/finish.

It ain't working right now as, season after season, all teams bar the demons are out by the start of August.

If we really want to improve our country's standing in Europe, the powers that be have to make radical changes. If all clubs then improve, it will be for the benefit of all...not just Celtic.

Ibrahim Tall

It is 'good' for Scottish football to be honest. I used to be in the 'I hope they get ****ed' camp but the current race to the bottom is helping no one. The overall standard of Scottish football is getting worse year on year and in general every club is in a bad state financially. I'd even still include us in that, that we're holding out for a ?1m for our best player like it's a huge sum of money is ridiculous. There's mediocre mid table sides in Eastern Europe getting 2 or 3x that for players. We've went from being virtually a 2nd tier league 15 years ago to at best a 5th or 6th and it's our fault by being ridiculously bad in European competition.

William H. Bonney

Several Scottish teams doing well in Europe would be great for Scottish football.

One team doing well means **** all.

every time i hear someone say this it just sounds like jealousy to me, 

"but celtic get more money" ... yea, guess what. they are a bigger club than anyone else in the league, it happens, 

"but the gap keeps increasing" ... its up to the other teams to close it then, not celtic. 

"how is it good for Scottish football"  tell me how having weaker teams and therefore a weaker league overall is better for Scottish football? by that logic is the welsh league is better than the Scottish premier league?

if hearts qualified for the Europa league group stages and secured ?2 million would you be crying about how unfair it is on ross county? 

whats better for Scottish football is all teams try to improve, and yes that means Celtic as well

What having lots of money allows Celtic to do is acquire a large squad of fairly quality players, so if a key man gets injured or suspended, doesn't matter. How many teams in the SPFL have that luxury?

The league is not competitive because Celtic have all the resources needed to walk it. There's absolutely nothing any other team can do about it. Money lets you not only buy good players but also retain your best players.

The financial gap between Chelsea and Leicester a couple of season ago is nothing compared to the financial gap of Celtic and the rest of us. And the gap is only getting worse, where as at least in the EPL most clubs have ridiculous amounts of money to spend so it is competitive.

Ron Burgundy

Celtic and Hibs are the only two teams that benefit.

Celtic can afford better players meaning the vermin can rummage around in the bin for more scraps.

AlphonseCapone

Game, set and match.

Wonder if we'd be saying how bad it is for the rest if it were us in it?

Of course not, and I don't expect celtic are complaining too much either.

That's not the point, though,

Tokyo Drifter

Why?

It's good for Scottish Football: The Brand but bad for Scottish Football: The Domestic Product, i.e. it promotes the fact that we have at least one team which can compete at the highest level, but in terms of resources it vastly increases the gulf between that team and the rest. 

That's what the hacks mean. I guess.

Celtic and Hibs are the only two teams that benefit.

Celtic can afford better players meaning the vermin can rummage around in the bin for more scraps.

Aye, i'm sure Ann's going to give back the ?365,000 we're getting for the hooped demons qualifying for the group stage !

Of course not, and I don't expect celtic are complaining too much either.

That's not the point, though,

No but it's the way the thread is going.

If Celtic didn't qualify for the CL they'd still walk the league.

Just to answer the question in the OP - Having a Scottish team in the champions league is good for Scottish football, that's probably why the media are saying it.

oh ah grantona

Leicester spent a fraction of what big clubs in England done that 1 season yes maybe a freak but I'm sure if Hearts could do it just once we would all bite the hands off the offer.

So how did they do it, yes a decent squad and a bit of desire and belief in themselves.

The problem with Scotland as every teams goes to Celtic park with far to much respect a point is a good result. Everyone stands of and allows them to play if you give good players time they will hurt you simple as that. This is also the case at Ibrox maybe not as much now.

Also the league set up playing each other 3/4 times kills the league if it was just Home & away the most points you can lose to big clubs is 6 instead of 9 or 12. With big clubs visiting smaller clubs only once might make it tougher on said bigger clubs.

Yes money is a massive massive advantage but over a course of a season with every team being less negative and a bigger league I believe that a league title leaving Glasgow could be a thing.

The whole game in Scotland is negative and it's a horrible horrible road that nobody seems interested in trying to change.

National side once again Strachan snubs some decent players for people he has been able to trust over years despite qualifying for nothing. Form players overlooked for pals

McGinn in before McGregor perfect example

Snodgrass surplus to requirements at club level in squad ahead of players playing well in SPL

I don't think of the two Glasgow teams as "Scottish", look at the fans that follow those two bastions of sectarianism and bigotry. I would class them as teams based in Scotland. My distaste for them is absolute.

A commitment to making the national game have more of a level playing field would be nice. 

If Celtic had things their way, they wouldn't be playing in the Scottish system, they'd be playing in the English Premier League.

Same goes for the rangers intl. football club 2012 sevco (or whatever they are called) but that's another boring 'Scottish' story.

The idea that the rest of Scotland should in any way be grateful to, or in support of, Celtic in their selfish pursuit of Champions League riches, should IMO, in the context of their stated desire to leave Scottish football behind, make any rational supporter of any other team BOAK.

If Celtic had things their way, they wouldn't be playing in the Scottish system, they'd be playing in the English Premier League.

Same goes for the rangers intl. football club 2012 sevco (or whatever they are called) but that's another boring 'Scottish' story.

The idea that the rest of Scotland should in any way be grateful to, or in support of, Celtic in their selfish pursuit of Champions League riches, should IMO, in the context of their stated desire to leave Scottish football behind, make any rational supporter of any other team BOAK.

Sorry, that's a load of nonsense.

Selfish pursuit of Champions League riches ?

WTF do you want them to do ? Not try and win matches ?

If you feel this strongly about it, e-mail Ann Budge and tell her to refuse the ?365K we're getting.

I'm more than happy to take it and would be more than happy for other Scottish clubs to benefit if we were successful in Europe.

Leicester spent a fraction of what big clubs in England done that 1 season yes maybe a freak but I'm sure if Hearts could do it just once we would all bite the hands off the offer.

So how did they do it, yes a decent squad and a bit of desire and belief in themselves.

The problem with Scotland as every teams goes to Celtic park with far to much respect a point is a good result. Everyone stands of and allows them to play if you give good players time they will hurt you simple as that. This is also the case at Ibrox maybe not as much now.

Also the league set up playing each other 3/4 times kills the league if it was just Home & away the most points you can lose to big clubs is 6 instead of 9 or 12. With big clubs visiting smaller clubs only once might make it tougher on said bigger clubs.

Yes money is a massive massive advantage but over a course of a season with every team being less negative and a bigger league I believe that a league title leaving Glasgow could be a thing.

The whole game in Scotland is negative and it's a horrible horrible road that nobody seems interested in trying to change.

National side once again Strachan snubs some decent players for people he has been able to trust over years despite qualifying for nothing. Form players overlooked for pals

McGinn in before McGregor perfect example

Snodgrass surplus to requirements at club level in squad ahead of players playing well in SPL

Leicester's success was a great story but they are a lot closer to the Top 4 in terms of finances than we are to celtic. They could afford to hold onto Vardy when he was subject to a transfer bid halfway through that season, and they gave him a better contract, and they continue to resist attempts to sell Mahrez for over ?30m. Plus they had the finance to employ a top level manager.

Of course we go to celtic park with trepidation. The gulf between the two clubs on the pitch is massive and they could easily tear us apart and it takes a huge defensive effort just to keep in the game.

I don't think of the two Glasgow teams as "Scottish", look at the fans that follow those two bastions of sectarianism and bigotry. I would class them as teams based in Scotland. My distaste for them is absolute.

This....OFGTF !

Maybe when Celtic are humping teams 8 and nine nothing on a weekly basis will they say it's not good. Before long that's what will be happening. The gulf is ridiculous. It's like us playing in the league 2. Or the old 3rd division as it was called. We'd be destroying teams and getting stronger every year but stay in a he same league . Teams in England can at least compete on a one off game

Celtic and their fans are utter scum. I want them to lose every match they play in. I couldn't give a **** about the ?250k we're getting. I wanted St johnstone and Aberdeen to do well as they're decent clubs with decent fans, but Celtic are the scum of the earth.

It wont change until the other clubs decide to only play everyone twice a season.

This would close the gap more than helping other clubs financially.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Im delighted they made it and hope they get through the group, honestly dont get the negative stuff against other scottish teams in Europe. I suppose theres lots of scottish football fans who would rather they drop down 5 or 6 levels rather than the rest aspire to step up the way.

Celtic getting another ?30 million pound is good for Celtic and only Celtic  I am at a loss how anyone can argue it is good for Scottish football.

kingantti1874

Im delighted they made it and hope they get through the group, honestly dont get the negative stuff against other scottish teams in Europe. I suppose theres lots of scottish football fans who would rather they drop down 5 or 6 levels rather than the rest aspire to step up the way.

Because we don't want to see their horrendous fans or club fans continue to dominate using the income to oppress the rest of Scottish football

Because we don't want to see their horrendous fans or club fans continue to dominate using the income to oppress the rest of Scottish football

What's the alternative then ?

MacDonald Jardine

Celtic getting another ?30 million pound is good for Celtic and only Celtic I am at a loss how anyone can argue it is good for Scottish football.

Looked at objectively it is good for Scottish football as a whole because a representative of the league is competing in the Champions League group stages as opposed to having failed to get there.

It's a bit like Hibs winning the league would be seen as good for Edinburgh football.

We may not like it but it's hard to argue against.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Celtic getting another ?30 million pound is good for Celtic and only Celtic I am at a loss how anyone can argue it is good for Scottish football.

Absolutely this. I was thinking at the weekend that these riches enable Celtic to have a reserve side that's stronger than most top sides in The Premiership. In years gone by the youngsters they had playing at the weekend would be spread throughout the other 11 teams getting proper game time and development. In the long term we'll suffer as a nation due to Celtic's being able to keep anyone who might cause them bother by paying them ?10K to sit on the bench.

Anyone recall Chris Burke article where he says, "I'm no going to play for anyone else in Scotland when I can get ?10K a week getting splinters at Ibrox?" Or words to that effect.

Celtic just doing the same to the game now as Rangers did then, albeit legally.

The further ahead Celtic get to the rest of the teams means the harder it is for anyone in this country to stay interested.  Kids literally have to be almost forced nowadays to watch a game growing up as their ipads and phones are more entertaining for them.  We are losing the battle in a big way.  Weather it looks good to see a small Saltire Icon beside a team in the vile ?Champions? League does next to nothing to keep youngsters and future generations ?in the game?.  I repeat Celtic getting another r?30 million and having another season in view of the entire world does **** all for anyone outside them.  I am sure Maribor starting to feature prominently every season is doing great thigs for Slovenian football right enough.

Well said. Like it or not Rangers and Celtic are part of Scottish football and i will support any Scottish team in Europe.

It's maybe good for teams like Killie or Hamilton, where the 350k or what ever it is, is worth like another 5 home games to them.

For teams looking to be challenging for titles and cups it just puts another 30million quid between them and the rest of us.

It's not good for competition but then again, when have the media or the powers that be ever sought fair competition?

Celtic getting another ?30 million pound is good for Celtic and only Celtic  I am at a loss how anyone can argue it is good for Scottish football.

Completely agree.

It IS good, however, for the likes of Chick Young and other SMSM OF sycophants to get a jolly in foreign lands a few times a season. It does **** all for me, though.

Archived