Hearts Ladies v Glasgow City - SSE Scottish Women's Cup

Shaggy2

Today at Kings Park in Dalkeith, 2pm ko. ?3 to get in or free if you're a Hearts ST holder.

A right tough tie for the ladies today but if you're at a loose end this afternoon, why not come along?

Here is a prematch interview with captain Megan Paterson and striker Ashley Carse, published on Thursday by JamboFanTV. Hopefully get some footage of the match up later tonight.,.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xvxTRp1acgk&feature=youtu.be

3fingersreid

Hoping my daughter gets her first start today although it's one off,if not the hardest games they'll play

Good luck to the Hearts women

Hearts 0-7 Glasgow City

A long 90 minutes for Hearts Ladies as expected although the girls deserve great credit for their efforts. It was my first time watching the ladies side and the first thing I noticed was how small our team were in comparison to our Weegie counterparts.

Glasgow went one up with the simplest of headed goals from a corner after about ten minutes. For the next 30 minutes the ball rarely left Hearts half but Glasgow were restricted to very few chances although one of their strikers shot over from a position similar to Don Cowie's at Killie last week.

About 5 minutes from the break Glasgow were awarded a free kick which seemed to surprise everyone, Glasgow players included. However, up stepped their skipper to fire a fine shot high into the net at the postage stamp. This seemed to unsettle the Hearts girls and within 90 seconds it was 0-3 as the Glasgow captain got to the bye line and cut the ball back to her striker for a simple finish.

The second half started much the same way as the first ended although there was some controversy over goal number 4 as a fine strike smashed the bar and bounced down and out. The assistant referee immediately signalled a goal much to the consternation of Hearts defenders and although I must confess it looked the correct call from my position, given the spin of the ball, others closer to it believe the ball had not crossed the line.

Goals 5 & 6 were a good move by Glasgow and a fine individual goal respectively finished with similar shots across Hearts keeper.

The scoring was completed with a penalty in the final minute.

I have to say I really enjoyed my first experience of ladies football and although it's nowhere near the pace we're used to watching on a Saturday it's technically very good. Glasgow were miles ahead of Hearts but there isn't one Hearts player who left anything out there. My star performer was Hearts number 2, who looks like she'd be taken out by a decent gust of wind but she stuck doggedly to her task in a very tough 90 minutes.

3fingersreid

Got to say your bang on the assessment of the game ,Glasgow city were a joy to watch , the passing and movement was excellent and it's easy to see how they've won the league 10 years in a row ,I'm glad you enjoyed it . I hope the Hearts women aren't too down as they must've learned from it today .

However you've just gave me a dilemma, the number 2 is my daughter and after reading that I'm very proud that you rated her like that but I'm now having to use Jimmy Bones comment to Robbo on her

A pat on the back is only 12 inches from a kick up the arse

Best of wishes to the girls but I reckon it'll be a 5-0 defeat.

Wasn't that far off. Still, I'll console myself with the knowledge I've seen the Glasgow players greeting their eyes out after taking a 17-0 aggregate defeat in the Champions League a few years ago.

Got to say your bang on the assessment of the game ,Glasgow city were a joy to watch , the passing and movement was excellent and it's easy to see how they've won the league 10 years in a row ,I'm glad you enjoyed it . I hope the Hearts women aren't too down as they must've learned from it today .

However you've just gave me a dilemma, the number 2 is my daughter and after reading that I'm very proud that you rated her like that but I'm now having to use Jimmy Bones comment to Robbo on her

A pat on the back is only 12 inches from a kick up the arse

So true. She's got a fan in me but remember I'm a fickle football fan! :D

The only time I can recall her getting done was for the third goal and the team had totally lost their shape after the confusion of the 2nd goal. Best of luck going forward and I'll definitely be back...

So true. She's got a fan in me but remember I'm a fickle football fan! :D

The only time I can recall her getting done was for the third goal and the team had totally lost their shape after the confusion of the 2nd goal. Best of luck going forward and I'll definitely be back...

From the opposite side of the pitch I thought our wee number 2 had played the whole match. Seems she only came on in 2nd half but I got the chance to watch her close up and she remains my choice as top performer due mainly to her never say die spirit. Didn't let a very experienced opposite number get the better of her once. My bad for not really paying too much attention to individual performances first half. I've also read our sub goalie was 14. Exceptional prospect there in a position that I believe even the best female teams struggle.

Better(?) reporters than me get things wrong!!! Apologies. :)

3fingersreid

Are Glasgow's players paid? Or if not, why is there a gulf between them and everyone else?

They have 1 arsenal lady on loan ,2 Irish internationals 1 Brazilian woman and 5 Scotland internationals

They don't get paid but they are helped in finding jobs /sponsorship . They have been around a lot longer than Hearts and are very experienced .

I was actually at this game. I actually thought, despite the scoreline, Hearts for the most part defended well. The goalkeeper didn't actually have much to do but unfortunately she struggled to deal with the shots on target they did have.

Someone asked if the City players get paid. Some of them get some payment (generally the ones they bring in from abroad) but most of them I think still do it for the love of the game.

A lot of men's clubs, notably Celtic and Hibs, are starting to take things more seriously and it'll be interesting to see how a self funded club like Glasgow City compete in future if big clubs start paying players.

I was actually at this game. I actually thought, despite the scoreline, Hearts for the most part defended well. The goalkeeper didn't actually have much to do but unfortunately she struggled to deal with the shots on target they did have.

Someone asked if the City players get paid. Some of them get some payment (generally the ones they bring in from abroad) but most of them I think still do it for the love of the game.

A lot of men's clubs, notably Celtic and Hibs, are starting to take things more seriously and it'll be interesting to see how a self funded club like Glasgow City compete in future if big clubs start paying players.

Something similar happened in Germany. Turbine Potsdam were one of the best clubs, competing and winning the Champions League. Now the big men's clubs have started funding a female equivalent and Turbine have found it much harder to compete.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IIQZhOsYrU4

Enjoyed the game. Lots to look forward to for Hearts ladies. Great players in development. With a bit more backing ??? they would do even better. We will be going to more games. Hope more jambos turn up for games. Hearts is Hearts does not matter if it's a male or female wearing the colours they represent The Hearts.

Here is our review ( it's towards the end )

Archived