Tommy Mclean

Notts1874

Sandy Clark

Terrible manager, but he never had a squad full of internationalists, ex internationalists and youth internaionalists. Sad but true.

He had a pretty decent team and made a mess of it. Plenty other threads for the rest of your gripes.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Future's Maroon

I still have nightmares about the 92 & 95 defeats to Airdrie

Had the misfortune of being at both and hated that club due to it.

Sandy Clark

Won the sc with Motherwell.

Quite an achievement tbh.

Yes of course. But look what he did with YOUR club, tbf.

Kevin Thomas snapped his cruciate in that semi final and was never quite the same player ever again. He looked a really top prospect in the 4th round Scottish cup tie against Rangers in particular.

Bit of an unlucky time that. Levein, Locke and McLaren were all around then and had their careers ruined by very serious injuries later on.

Bazzas right boot

Yes of course. But look what he did with YOUR club, tbf.

Aye, he wisnae very good.

Sandy Clark

Sticking up for Tommy McLean. Is this what it comes down to?

Really.....that's your answer to this thread?

Bazzas right boot

Sticking up for Tommy McLean. Is this what it comes down to?

Aw right, so he never won the sc with Motherwell, and a even if he did it wasn't "quite an achievement".

When I saw his name, it as the first thing that came to mind, sorry if it didn't fit your agenda.

Pesky facts!

Bazzas right boot

Really.....that's your answer to this thread?

Is it not true?

Is it not true?

He could have won the Nobel prize before he came to Tynecastle and I still wouldn't have cared.

Sandy Clark

Aw right, so he never won the sc with Motherwell, and a even if he did it wasn't "quite an achievement".

When I saw his name, it as the first thing that came to mind, sorry if it didn't fit your agenda.

Pesky facts!

I agree winning the cup with Motherwell was an achievement.

As a Hearts fan that is NOT the first thing that comes to mind when that name crops up. You should know that that.

I have no agenda, I have a life. Look at your post count and previous postings being happy for our rivals to win their holy grail. Perhaps that is agenda driven?

Anyway, Tommy won the cup with Motherwell. Fab :)

Was it Kilmarnock away when he played Walter Kidd who was a coach at the time?

I forgot about that. Why did he play him ? I'm positive we didn't have to but what was his reason ? Probably pig headed reasons

Bazzas right boot

He could have won the Nobel prize before he came to Tynecastle and I still wouldn't have cared.

Cool story.

Anyway the point of the thread was to show we have had shite managers before........

Bazzas right boot

Anyway the point of the thread was to show we have had shite managers before........

Aye, but he was a good manager before us.

Big dissapiontment for us

Sandy Clark

Wow that's really quite hurtful. I'll report this to the mods.

I still don't share your viewpoint on Tommy McLean though.

Sandy Clark

He managed Motherwell for ten years.us for less than a season, a completely forgetable season.

When I think of him, I think Motherwell, maybe rangers and Being in the team ( think he scored) to win Killie the league v us.

Sorry that offended you?

What have hibs and the sc got to do with this thread ya ******* welt?

I hated watching us when he was in charge. Worse than now but I was younger and dafter then. Same age watching us last year I'd have chucked it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utter shite at Hearts although somehow was one of the first Scottish managers to fully take advantage of bosman for Dundee Utd.

Did well after us.

Bazzas right boot

You agree he was ******* useless at Hearts.

Aye. Tripe.

gashauskis9

Terrible manager, but he never had a squad full of internationalists, ex internationalists and youth internaionalists. Sad but true.

You're wrong chief. Levein, McPherson, Bett, Colquhoun, Mackay, Robertson as well as three of the most promising youngsters in Scotland at the time (Johnston, Thomas and Hagen). True, we also had a pile of shite, but on paper this squad should have finished top half.

Possibly my most depressing season supporting Hearts in my 38 years.

You're wrong chief. Levein, McPherson, Bett, Colquhoun, Mackay, Robertson as well as three of the most promising youngsters in Scotland at the time (Johnston, Thomas and Hagen). True, we also had a pile of shite, but on paper this squad should have finished top half.

Possibly my most depressing season supporting Hearts in my 38 years.

Hagen! I suppose he was promising at one time. Don't forget Alan McLaren as well at the start of the season. We got a big wad of cash from his sale, of which McLean decided to splurge 200 grand or so on Brian Hamilton!

We also had John Miller and Stephen Frail at that time. Frail was one of my favourite Hearts players, another who got injured but at the time we signed him he was one of the best RBs in the country.

This threat is great for remembering when things are bad they could be much worse.

The whole point of the thread is that we've had awful times before and will do again....

Just saw McLean as as good example of the shit.

I think we're all fully aware of that. Our recent memories mean we're unable to forget McGlynn and Locke

The difference between McLean and Cathro is that McLean had a track record and had won a major trophy in Scotland as Tosh pointed out above

millerjames398

John Brough?

Kenny Garland?

Ray dunlop?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Placid Casual

Yes he did. He was also mostly welcomed by the support on his appointment.

You're right, it was a popular appointment. The obvious one. Soon went south though. Shit sandwich :(

millerjames398

Kevin Thomas snapped his cruciate in that semi final and was never quite the same player ever again. He looked a really top prospect in the 4th round Scottish cup tie against Rangers in particular.

I think Thomas done his cruciate v Dundee utd in the qtr final,but your right Thomas was looking like a real talent before his injury.

The whole point of the thread is that we've had awful times before and will do again....

Just saw McLean as as good example of the shit.

I see it as also more proof of the whole manager merry ground being a bit of a lottery. There we have a guy with a great reputation in Scotland at that time and lots of experience taking over a very good Hearts squad (with some money to spend as well) and he was a dismal failure. So all the bright sparks saying all we need to do is get an experienced man in might not be as bright as they think.

Bazzas right boot

You're right, it was a popular appointment. The obvious one. Soon went south though. Shit sandwich :(

Shit sandwich!

I'll remember that.

Incredible that he had a team capable of wins against Celtic, Rangers and Hibs yet almost got us into the relegation playoff. Just shows that a bad manager will affect a good squad.

3fingersreid

Hagen! I suppose he was promising at one time. Don't forget Alan McLaren as well at the start of the season. We got a big wad of cash from his sale, of which McLean decided to splurge 200 grand or so on Brian Hamilton!

We also had John Miller and Stephen Frail at that time. Frail was one of my favourite Hearts players, another who got injured but at the time we signed him he was one of the best RBs in the country.

This threat is great for remembering when things are bad they could be much worse.

I might be wrong but did the bid for mclaren come in just before TMc got the job , an offer that pieman was going to take but TMc actually got us more money in the end ?

Frail was a great player up to his injuries ,scoring a cracker at Tynecastle

TMc , too many teeth for his mouth if you ask me

i wish jj was my dad

Horrible wee prick. The players hated him and if I remember rightly basically ignored his instructions for the win against motherwell that kept us up.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

I might be wrong but did the bid for mclaren come in just before TMc got the job , an offer that pieman was going to take but TMc actually got us more money in the end ?

Frail was a great player up to his injuries ,scoring a cracker at Tynecastle

TMc , too many teeth for his mouth if you ask me

The pieman and the hamster, what a dream team that was. It felt like the pieman took the first offer on any player at anytime. He was desperate for cash.

Geoff the Mince

I do remember playing the Gers at Tynecastle midweek and Jim Bett having a brilliant game .

A fantastic performance from someone who was supposedly passed it .

gashauskis9

I do remember playing the Gers at Tynecastle midweek and Jim Bett having a brilliant game .

A fantastic performance from someone who was supposedly passed it .

I shudder to think how we would have ended up without Bett that year, he was class.

I also recall Mackay being the boo boy around that time, couldn't do anything right.

Lasting memory is the 4-2 defeat at home to St J in the league cup. Horrible, just horrible. Jim "pig in knickers" Weir playing on the wing in the 2nd half :facepalm:

Harry Potter

Thankfully not.

That was my worry at the thread title, looked like a hamster, cant mind much about the record,

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Did he sign Craig Nelson? Possibly the worst keeper in living memory!

We've got this keeper called Hamilton.

Bazzas right boot

I thought he might have croaked it .......... but sadly not.

No need, it's Football

Harry Potter

I think Thomas done his cruciate v Dundee utd in the qtr final,but your right Thomas was looking like a real talent before his injury.

Thomas thats a blast from the past, mind talking to him in the Barnton Hotel only exciting event in there, except

from the night i got chatting to a female airline pilot, less said the better.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Classic Tynie night and my worst Hampden experience. Quite a few wins against the Gruesomes but nearly got us relegated.

Archived