Tommy Mclean

Notts1874

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a better record than Cathro.

Feck, I've got a better record than Cathro.

Horrendous manager and still better than Cathro by a country mile.

His football was torture as well as Cathros

Was keen to swap Gary Locke for Rab Shannon I recall, where would our principal ambassador be now if that had came to fruition?

Steered us to a memorable Scottish Cup tie triumph over a very decent Rangers team in front of a half built Tynecastle.

He made some horrendous signings. Swapping Mo Johnston for Colin Cramb, ?250,000 for Bryan Hamilton, Craig Nelson and didn't give any of the young players who ultimately came through as first team players under JJ, the likes of Ritchie, McManus and Johnston much of a chance.

That said there's no way a team with Levein and McPherson at the back should have been anywhere near relegation and we didn't ensure survival until the last day.

My mate's mum was the tea lady at Hearts and she really liked Tommy and Jim McLean when they were at Motherwell and Dundee United as they would each give her a fiver thanks for looking after them.

Did he sign Craig Nelson? Possibly the worst keeper in living memory!

John Brough?

Kenny Garland?

Horrible. Would rather give Cathro a 10 year contract than have him back for 10 days. He is the main reason why I think calls for Tommy Wright to join us is a case of "be careful what you wish for". McLean did a similarly good job at Motherwell including a cup win. Joe Jordan was the same. Came in with a great reputation and did OK in spells but ultimately never lived up to the hype. 

John Brough?

Kenny Garland?

John Brough was my hero. Mainly because of a badge from Topsport.

Captain Canada

I hated his time with us - he was miserable and his style of football was dreadful to watch.

...a bit disco

John Brough was my dad's apprentice spark before going full time with Hearts.

Hero indeed.

Hero indeed.

Ok guys, just Kenny Garland then.

:phface:

Hero indeed.

I was just a boy but John Brough and Willie Gibson were my first Hearts heroes.

It was slim pickings at the time but they still have a part in my upbringing.

Terrible manager, but he never had a squad full of internationalists, ex internationalists and youth internaionalists. Sad but true.

He had limited resources. Done very well at Motherwell and it was reasonable to conclude he'd be a good appointment. Didn't work out unfortunately

Jim Bett was a class act though

Terrible manager, but he never had a squad full of internationalists, ex internationalists and youth internaionalists. Sad but true.

He had a team full of current or former internationals, including three of our all time greatest players, not to mention a couple of our best ever youngsters. And David Hagen.

132goals1958

Remember Robbo saying the players gave him the nickname "Thrush " Apparently he was an irritable little *****.

Deerparkjambo

The season was full of ups and downs, 3 wins on the bounce then 3 defeats on the bounce, highlight was the Rangers cup game, too many lows Airdrie SF & losing to Aberdeen when we could have relegated them!

He had a team full of current or former internationals, including three of our all time greatest players, not to mention a couple of our best ever youngsters. And David Hagen.

Yes he did. He was also mostly welcomed by the support on his appointment.

Bungalow Bill

Was it Kilmarnock away when he played Walter Kidd who was a coach at the time?

Yes he did. He was also mostly welcomed by the support on his appointment.

He was totally welcomed. I mind my auntie was on his flight back from Majorca when he was appointed. She was sitting behind him and all the press were there at the airport when he landed.

He was shit though but the oldco cup win was a definite highlight

This thread raises a good point. Where does Valdas rank in the scheme of things. His employer was mad and the players were in revolt yet he achieved brilliantly.

Wouldn't mind seeing him back now.

The season was full of ups and downs, 3 wins on the bounce then 3 defeats on the bounce, highlight was the Rangers cup game, too many lows Airdrie SF & losing to Aberdeen when we could have relegated them!

Talking of bad results compared to Peterhead. That Airdrie semi-final was way worse in the grand scheme of things. Not as embarrassing maybe but worse.

He was totally welcomed. I mind my auntie was on his flight back from Majorca when he was appointed. She was sitting behind him and all the press were there at the airport when he landed.

He was shit though but the oldco cup win was a definite highlight

I'm blaming your Auntie who apart from this is I'm positive wonderful woman.

She could have stopped it.

Deerparkjambo

Talking of bad results compared to Peterhead. That Airdrie semi-final was way worse in the grand scheme of things. Not as embarrassing maybe but worse.

I still have nightmares about the 92 & 95 defeats to Airdrie

Much much worse.

Yes. Paul Ritchie not trusted

Deerparkjambo

Yes still remember turning up at Rugby Park and thinking I was hallucinating

Airdrie was scandalous. But nothing comes close to what Gary Locke presided over at Easter Road against ICT.

I've never seen anything so clueless in my time following Hearts. Shameful

Airdrie was scandalous. But nothing comes close to what Gary Locke presided over at Easter Road against ICT.

That was mental although it was a team of raw teenagers. Airdrie was a team of hardened pros and Hearts legends.

This is a thread about Tommy McLean and perspective

Kevin Thomas snapped his cruciate in that semi final and was never quite the same player ever again. He looked a really top prospect in the 4th round Scottish cup tie against Rangers in particular.

The Future's Maroon

Not deid then?

wow?

Gerbil Jaws

My first thought was gerbil too!

Bazzas right boot

Won the sc with Motherwell.

Quite an achievement tbh.

Archived