Hearts v Tottenham

rudi must stay

3fingersreid

Still raging at that.. Same folk who probably think Cathro should get as much time as he likes

I applauded , certainly wouldn't applaud a Scottish opposition team but that performance was different class

No I don't think IC should get as much time as he likes

How does that work ;)

I think I remember watching that game and thinking what a tank Aaron Lennon was.

He's tiny in the EPL but against us he looked like a body builder.

Every player an absolute athlete with the skill and ability to match.

Even now Scottish players looked plucked from the local pub by comparison.

Even tiny guys like Shakiri are solid.

Zal is a big lad and Defoe, who can have a career playing dwarves when he's packed in football, bounced him all over the pitch. Really opened my eyes to the difference in physicality between the two leagues, never mind the ability.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Understandingly the best team I've seen at Tynecastle. 

Same here and that isn't easy to say as I have a liking for the Gunners. It was a masterclass in ball retention and then pace in attack that we couldn't handle. My memory from the night was the Spurs fans singing" we want 5" and section G replying " we want 1".

Edit it might have been 6 or it was before the 5th went in.

Francis Albert

Not the case Francis. We would all like to be in Europe but said match in Peterhead probably proves the point we are not capable of handling it

i'd rather be shown not to be capable of handling spurs than being unable to cope with peterhead.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

i'd rather be shown not to be capable of handling spurs than being unable to cope with peterhead.

I dread to think of the damage we would suffer right now :(

Fxxx the SPFL

Away at spurs and liverpool two of the best nights in 50 odd years. Yet many hearts fans seemed to not want us to qualify for europe this season so we could warm up against peterhead.

spurs were awesome but also got a lucky break of the ball to help them on their way

totally agree two of the best away trips in my lifetime of watching the Jambos. Bordeaux was a great atmosphere too I think we drank the Connemara dry. In the seventies Texaco cup away days at Everton, Oldham, Wolves great memories.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I dread to think of the damage we would suffer right now :(

Spurs have improved and we have gone backwards since so the outcome could have be the worst in our history. Eek

It was just unlucky for us that Spurs had to cancel their previous league game due to the riots so they put out the first team as opposed to the European team so they could warm up before a trip to Old Trafford.

We should have played guys like Eggert Johnsen, Ryan McGowan, and Rudi in the home game. We were outclassed on the night, but didn't help ourselves by being absolutely dominated physically. The team in the away game was much more athletic and physical and would have at least put up a fight at home had they played.

Placid Casual

It was just unlucky for us that Spurs had to cancel their previous league game due to the riots so they put out the first team as opposed to the European team so they could warm up before a trip to Old Trafford.

Spurs lost 3-0 to Man United if I remember correctly.

What I do remember is the United fans singing to the Spurs fans, "Are you Hearts in disguise?". FFS!

Bazzas right boot

The 0-0 in the return leg meant we were the only team not to concede a goal in all competitive games at WHL that season.

Unbeaten at whl and anfield over the two seasons....

Was absolutely raging after that first goal went in. Was adamant it was a hand ball from Van Der Vaart.

Bazzas right boot

Was absolutely raging after that first goal went in. Was adamant it was a hand ball from Van Der Vaart.

Changed the game, not for that we'd have won 3-0.

Stephen Muddie

Not the case Francis. We would all like to be in Europe but said match in Peterhead probably proves the point we are not capable of handling it

Agreed  

Good point - not qualifying for Europe was apparently going to spare us embarrassment!

Agreed  

The vegetarian option: An all-butter pastry filled with nothing but air. :laugh:

Changed the game, not for that we'd have won 3-0.

It was so early in the game. Spurs would still have won, but I doubt it would have been a 5-0 pumping.

hmfc_liam06

An absolute lesson is passing and moving.

Some say it can't be done on the Tynecastle pitch.

I remember three guys next to us in the Gorgie leaving when Spurs scored their third... shouting abuse and saying we were a disgrace as if it was St Mirren or Motherwell we were playing. We were just up against a phenomenal attacking team. We had no answer to their speed of movement and quick passing and looking back now it was a privilege to be there to see them play.

That said I loved the second leg when both teams played understrength teams - not just Spurs - and we played really well. Did Dale Carrick hit the bar or am I imagining that?

I remember three guys next to us in the Gorgie leaving when Spurs scored their third... shouting abuse and saying we were a disgrace as if it was St Mirren or Motherwell we were playing. We were just up against a phenomenal attacking team. We had no answer to their speed of movement and quick passing and looking back now it was a privilege to be there to see them play.

That said I loved the second leg when both teams played understrength teams - not just Spurs - and we played really well. Did Dale Carrick hit the bar or am I imagining that?

Smith hit the bar I think

GlasgoJambo

They're a difficult team to dislike are Spurs. I missed this game but mind the friendly back in the early 90s. Think Darren Anderton made his debut but much to everyone's chagrin it was ex Hibbie Durie who sealed the game for them and I think he only played about 20 minutes in the second half.

Amazing to think how small the gulf was between the teams back then compared to now.

stevie.nolan.5

Same here and that isn't easy to say as I have a liking for the Gunners. It was a masterclass in ball retention and then pace in attack that we couldn't handle. My memory from the night was the Spurs fans singing" we want 5" and section G replying " we want 1".

Edit it might have been 6 or it was before the 5th went in.

I was sure we sang "we're gonna win 6-5 "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was sure we sang "we're gonna win 6-5 "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a popular ditty throughout the 2nd leg.

Spurs are my favourite English team because I got Dave MacKay's autograph as a kid with "Hearts Forever" written beside his name. Didn't stop me leaving at 4-0, absolutely gutted at what they were doing to my real team!!!

I think the home leg was probably one of the defining moments in changing my opinion / feelings for football as a whole.

Watching our own fans fawning over their players and going as far as to cheer their goals and applaud them for systematically taking our team to pieces is the thing which sticks with me more than anything else from that game.

I dare say the seeds may already have been planted, but I reckon my love for the game started to tail off a bit after that.

Салатные палочки

Watching John Sutton blowing out his arse after ten minutes was embarrassing. As mentioned before their first team players were athletes compared to us.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

6-0 we're gonnae win 6-0!

:yas:

We never mind. :lol:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

McGlynn made a better fist of things the next year.

He was at Peterhead in the company of Gary Locke and Scott Gardiner but then toddled off

When we get tagged with the 'big, physical' team label, I laugh and think back to that game.

They were a big, physical team, and showed us it is not a bad thing, despite our labelling suggesting it is.

hmfc_liam06

I think the home leg was probably one of the defining moments in changing my opinion / feelings for football as a whole.

Watching our own fans fawning over their players and going as far as to cheer their goals and applaud them for systematically taking our team to pieces is the thing which sticks with me more than anything else from that game.

I dare say the seeds may already have been planted, but I reckon my love for the game started to tail off a bit after that.

Jesus :lol:

Watching John Sutton blowing out his arse after ten minutes was embarrassing. As mentioned before their first team players were athletes compared to us.

Indeed. And John Sutton, the former Tottenham player, no less!

Whl away was brilliant, Hamilton hall pub was bouncing both inside and out, some guy throwing salt and pepper every where like it was confetti, and if I remember right, did a guy not walk in wearing a hibs top?

Stephen Muddie

Whl away was brilliant, Hamilton hall pub was bouncing both inside and out, some guy throwing salt and pepper every where like it was confetti, and if I remember right, did a guy not walk in wearing a hibs top?

What an avatar :jjyay:

Was heaving. I couldnt be bothered, went and got a carry out

A few of us went into Dirty Dicks across the rosd as it was murder getting anywhere near the bar in HH.

The clue is in the name but when you need a good few pints, you take a good deep breath and get on with it !

That and Liverpool were two good trips.

Betty Ford Clinic for a week after each of them.

well worth watching. Is this the best performance by an away team ever at Tynecastle? I haven't seen a better performance in my life

The pace and power

Something to aim at especially youngsters

hmfc_liam06

Was that not Liverpool? Guy walked through Concert Sq with a half Liverpool half Hibs top on IIRC.

It didn't end well.

andyscott82

That "attempt" from him just before they scored their 2nd summed up the game for me. Luckily I was working nightshift that night so I got to switch off the telly after the 3rd went in and went to work - only to be told it was 5 when I got there! [emoji2]

The 0-0 in the return leg meant we were the only team not to concede a goal in all competitive games at WHL that season.

...apart from Tottenham... :whistling: 

Archived