Connor Randall signs for Hearts

Chaps

Maybe the reason they are looking at this guy is because Hughes is having problems and are looking for a replacement if needed - just a thought!

However, I really don't know why we are not looking specifically at the GK and midfield problem. These are issues we have known about for months and months - the first game of the season is just over a week away.

Cathro/McPhee/Levein if you are reading this - will you please sort your s**t out - open your eyes and put a bit of thought into things FFS. 

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see their point if I'm honest. The coaching staff and the DOF have known since.....lets be generous and say March 2017 that we had clear problems in midfield. Problems with width pace and creativity. Thats 4 months ago we knew and yet here we are, in the League cup against minor opposition (being generous again), 1 week from our first league match in what is a difficult start to the league season and we're struggling due to lack of width, pace and creativity in the middle of the park and we've lost pretty badly to a side that shouldn't have been able to live with us.

This should have been sorted long before our first competitive match. I can see how it would irk people when there isn't a sniff of a midfield signing and here we are rumoured to be interested in a position we have at least 3 player cover for already.

I imagine even if we do fix it now, good folks like yourself will be excusing poor performances for the next 6 weeks as the new guys 'haven't settled yet' or 'didnae dae a full pre-season'

We have improved things up front and in defence. But its like having 3 holes in your roof and only fixing 2 of them. 

Well said.

I can see their point if I'm honest. The coaching staff and the DOF have known since.....lets be generous and say March 2017 that we had clear problems in midfield. Problems with width pace and creativity. Thats 4 months ago we knew and yet here we are, in the League cup against minor opposition (being generous again), 1 week from our first league match in what is a difficult start to the league season and we're struggling due to lack of width, pace and creativity in the middle of the park and we've lost pretty badly to a side that shouldn't have been able to live with us.

This should have been sorted long before our first competitive match. I can see how it would irk people when there isn't a sniff of a midfield signing and here we are rumoured to be interested in a position we have at least 3 player cover for already.

I imagine even if we do fix it now, good folks like yourself will be excusing poor performances for the next 6 weeks as the new guys 'haven't settled yet' or 'didnae dae a full pre-season'

We have improved things up front and in defence. But its like having 3 holes in your roof and only fixing 2 of them.

Excellent post. Have had months and months to put things in place. Incredible that they have not dealt with these issues.

Who says we are not looking at GK or midfield. We all want it to happen instantly, but they know what they need in this window, but we have to wait until the end of the window to see how it pans out.

We will get a GK and a playmaker, but things change if Rangers pay a ?1m for Walker or a French team comes in for Djoum. We just have to be patient, which most of us aren't prepared to do.

The Future's Maroon

or a French team comes in for Djoum. We just have to be patient, which most of us aren't prepared to do.

not Hull, Sunderland or who ever the barman suggested?!

Who says we are not looking at GK or midfield. We all want it to happen instantly, but they know what they need in this window, but we have to wait until the end of the window to see how it pans out.

We will get a GK and a playmaker, but things change if Rangers pay a ?1m for Walker or a French team comes in for Djoum. We just have to be patient, which most of us aren't prepared to do.

That's all well and good but if we are sitting bottom or clos to it after 5 or 6 games which is certainly possible given the fixtures the horse will have bolted and regardless of a signing or two they will need to make changes. This bollocks about waiting till the end of the transfer window is fine if the team is in a good place and has a confidence about it but we don't have that luxury. They have had months to get things in place and have failed miserably to sort it out and go into the season with some continuity and a sense that key areas had been dealt with. That there have been plenty players available can be evidenced by looking at signings the likes of Aberdeen or dare I say Hibs have made. The huge frustrating comes from wanting them to do well but knowing not nearly enough has been done to make that likely which therefore is going to mean upheaval and another wasted season within a couple of months.

Attached to Liverpool and hes poor, dont get it.

Well you'll just have to take my word for it then. Liverpool have had plenty poor players over the years

Captain Canada

I hope this isn't true as I don't think we need anyone else in that position right now.

If we had a midfield like Aberdeen's I'd be optimistic about the season ahead. As it stands, it's probably going to be a struggle.

I think we have the makings of a good team right now but still have too many passengers in the squad. Yes, we need squad players, but the right kind.

Escobar PHM

If we lose Walker and Djoum before the end of this window we are fecked. Well and truly fecked, because there is no danger we're replacing those 2 with 2 of similar standard and even if we did we're still weak and short in midfield. Keeping them both now and hoping they can both be arsed appears essential to me.

I hope this isn't true as I don't think we need anyone else in that position right now.

If we had a midfield like Aberdeen's I'd be optimistic about the season ahead. As it stands, it's probably going to be a struggle.

I think we have the makings of a good team right now but still have too many passengers in the squad. Yes, we need squad players, but the right kind.

We don't need squad players, we need players better than the ones we have then your Cowies, Buabens, Martin etc become squad players, which they are at best. If we go into this new season with Buaben and Cowie in centre mid and Hamilton in nets it's going to be a ****ing disaster.

We don't need squad players, we need players better than the ones we have then your Cowies, Buabens, Martin etc become squad players, which they are at best. If we go into this new season with Buaben and Cowie in centre mid and Hamilton in nets it's going to be a ******* disaster.

100% correct. We don't need bodies we need quality starters. We have enough average players to fill in for injuries and suspensions. We don't need loanees from U21 teams or more squad fillers we need guys ready to go straight into our first 11 and we need them now. God help us if we sign back ups for the likes of Bauben, Cowie, Martin etc. They aren't good enough as is and it's them who should be our subs and squad players.

Captain Canada

We don't need squad players, we need players better than the ones we have then your Cowies, Buabens, Martin etc become squad players, which they are at best. If we go into this new season with Buaben and Cowie in centre mid and Hamilton in nets it's going to be a ******* disaster.

That was actually my point although probably not made very well. I would empty most of our midfield options right now and replace them with better ones.

We can't sell all our squad players and not replace them was what I was trying to say. For me we should be having a clear out and the squad players should be the hungry young guys who signed professional contracts recently rather than pedestrian players who can't get fired up for any game.

colinmaroon

Just asked some friends who are Liverpool fans. It appears that it's not a great player.

Not good technically. Plays at Right Back. I don't know why we pick him. We got Liam Smith but he's keen to go out on loan. I don't understand this choice. 

Funnily enough, my friends in Liverpool think he's got the makings.

I suppose it all depends on the kind of friends a Hearts supporter has in Liverpool, compared to the kind of aquaintances a Hibs supporter has in jail in Liverpool.

merseyjambo

Looking at the GK situation, this is like Groundhog Day from 12 months ago. We put all our eggs in Matt Giles basket and when he went west along M8, we had no back up and went with Hamilton.

There appears to have been no forward planning for contingencies in event we don't get our target. Cadden was clearly outpr number 1 midfield target but it's going to take a lot more cash than we've got to get him now.

If I'm honest, I'm not sure at this stage further signings would make a difference. If Cathro persists in his slow build up play, we could sign Messi and we'd still get beat. Unless he changes them, it's not gonna make a whole load of difference who he brings in

Looking at the GK situation, this is like Groundhog Day from 12 months ago. We put all our eggs in Matt Giles basket and when he went west along M8, we had no back up and went with Hamilton.

There appears to have been no forward planning for contingencies in event we don't get our target. Cadden was clearly outpr number 1 midfield target but it's going to take a lot more cash than we've got to get him now.

If I'm honest, I'm not sure at this stage further signings would make a difference. If Cathro persists in his slow build up play, we could sign Messi and we'd still get beat. Unless he changes them, it's not gonna make a whole load of difference who he brings in

Wasn't Niall McGinn our No. 1 midfield target? Window's open for another month. We could panic sign two Lithuanians sight unseen but I'm 100% sure we're trying to tie up a goalie and midfielder. Whether we get them or not is obviously not just down to us. By far the best transfer news though will be if Walker signs a new contract.

Wasn't Niall McGinn our No. 1 midfield target? Window's open for another month. We could panic sign two Lithuanians sight unseen but I'm 100% sure we're trying to tie up a goalie and midfielder. Whether we get them or not is obviously not just down to us. By far the best transfer news though will be if Walker signs a new contract.

We should not be panic signing anyone you are correct but not for the reasons (excuses!) you give. We should have been organized for the start of the window and had specific targets ready to sign. We had nothing to play for for months and it was evident a huge number of players would depart. You keep saying the window is open another month, in a months time Cathro will be under so much pressure it will be too late and another season will be down the shitter!

As for your point about Walker there is very little chance of that, he will simply try to run his contract down. I'm definitely of the opinion that we should be cashing in and using the funds to bring in 2 or 3 players who want to play for Hearts. Walker flatters to deceive in any case as witnessed once again on Tuesday night. The bigger the game or cup match the quicker he disappears. The last thing we need is a disinterested, selfish player ensuring he doesn't get injured for half the season. Nah, get him sold (Djoum to for that matter) and use the money on much needed players.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

He looks dreadful in this video

https://youtu.be/y2AKYm6-Js0

Loves a backwards return pass to his CB.

Hopefully the lad's agent doesn't use that vid as a showreel for his client.

Loves a backwards return pass to his CB.

Hopefully the lad's agent doesn't use that vid as a showreel for his client.

He'll fit in nicely with Cathro's plans then. Even when we win the ball high up the park there seems to be a plan for Walker/Isma/Djoum to beat a couple of players and play it back to the defence to keep possession.

millerjames398

That has to be one of the most underwhelming YouTube clips I've seen yet...dreadful stuff[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

millerjames398

That has to be one of the most underwhelming YouTube clips I've seen yet...dreadful stuff[emoji23]

rudi must stay

Underwhelming, but he says on another YouTube clip that he enjoys attacking. Maybe more to this one than meets the eye

merseyjambo

The only talks of McGinn in close season came from fans.

I'd say we were well aware of his intentions to leave Scotland long before last season ended. Even our regular poster from Aberdeen alluded to that.

As I've said, I don't think new signings will make much difference if Cathro still makes us easy to play against with our slow build up play

Harry Potter

Sure they played the same clip over and over, can pass backwards.

jamboinglasgow

The sun now reporting it as a deal has been done.

It's a strange one. Does not appear good enough. I would want to know what they see in him.

Nookie Bear

Excellent post. Have had months and months to put things in place. Incredible that they have not dealt with these issues.

It's like when we knew for months that Lee Wallace was going to leave and we didn't bother planning for it all, ending up playing Palazuelos at left back!

Meanwhile, Dundee Utd went out and bought Andrew Robertson...

I've got zero clue what goes through these clowns heads, honestly. They look at that team and think a young Liverpool reserves defender/midfielder who looks absolute gash is what we need :lol:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Hung before he kicks a ball. I wasn't ecstatic about Stockton but he is shaping well.

Perhaps already a concern on Smith-Brown health

Ibrahim Tall

Hung before he kicks a ball. I wasn't ecstatic about Stockton but he is shaping well.

Perhaps already a concern on Smith-Brown health

It's not a case of 'hung' at all, it's no dig at Randall it's just the signing is utterly bizarre.

We already have two young RB's at the club in Brandon and Liam Smith and we've already signed Michael Smith for first choice.

So we're either loaning a random to get first team experience to the detriment of our own young players or we're signing a defender to play a midfield role where we're already over stocked.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

He looks dreadful in this video

https://youtu.be/y2AKYm6-Js0

No he doesn't. He takes up good position and keeps possession. Maybe not what we need right now.

Video game was a 6 1 win at St Mary's

A player good enough to make 8 appearances for Liverpool's first team recently is not good enough for Hearts?

No he doesn't. He takes up good position and keeps possession. Maybe not what we need right now.

Video game was a 6 1 win at St Mary's

My point was that video doesn't exactly sell him well. Lots of back passes that any player could do, and fails to beat a man. Hardly fitting the e-fit of a fast attacking full back that would fit our system. If he's to play midfield then again it's square pegs for round holes. My mate who knows his stuff about Liverpool Academy players says he's one of their worst.

Thoughts of a mate who goes home and away to Liverpool games - 'Struggled for us to be honest mate, even against lower opposition in the cups'.  Doesn't mean he couldn't cut it in Scotland though.  Just think it would be an odd signing if it does happen, if it does though, got to give the lad a chance.

My mate was saying Harry Wilson from Liverpool would sound a better shout. He scored 28 goals from the wing and is a Welsh international.

A player good enough to make 8 appearances for Liverpool's first team recently is not good enough for Hearts?

Do you think right back is an area we should be concerned about strengthening as a priority over central midfield and goalkeeper?

We have Michael Smith, Ashley Brown Smith can play RB, Liam Smith and Jamie Brandon. Even Jordan McGhee as cover. It's pretty much the one position we don't need to sign anyone for.

Do you think right back is an area we should be concerned about strengthening as a priority over central midfield and goalkeeper?

We have Michael Smith, Ashley Brown Smith can play RB, Liam Smith and Jamie Brandon. Even Jordan McGhee as cover. It's pretty much the one position we don't need to sign anyone for.

read the article it says he can play in midfield 

Special Agent Dale Cooper

It's unbelievable isn't it.

The number of absolute pricks that condemn the lad before he has even kicked a ball.

It will please a number of people but I am leaving the JKB Terrace for a while as I am sick of it to be frank. No reasoned debate. Just twats bumping their gums.

Infiltrators and welts are all over this place like a rash.

Thank you and goodbye.

Fairwell sweet prince.

He's not going to be awful if he's made it all the way through Liverpool's academy.

michael ngoo

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

And there ends that argument with those two words....

:rofl:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

My mate was saying Harry Wilson from Liverpool would sound a better shout. He scored 28 goals from the wing and is a Welsh international.

What does your mate do for a crust? Is he able to negotiate which Liverpool players we can have access to?

read the article it says he can play in midfield

'can' but his natural position is right back.

Why on earth would we sign a player to play out of his natural position? Why not just sign a midfielder? We need creativity not a right back shunted into midfield.

Barry Anderson Retweeted Liam Highton

Connor Randall - set to agree a season-long loan at Hearts - is a versatile midfielder or right-back.

Barry Anderson added,

Liam Highton @LiamHighton

Replying to @AnfieldHQ

Hearts be getting a good player in Connor Randall. Versatile cm or rb. Good move for him and hearts, he'll do well up there #lfc #hearts

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Direct message

What does your mate do for a crust? Is he able to negotiate which Liverpool players we can have access to?

It was just an example of the type of player we should be looking at rather than this guy. My mate doesn't work in football but what he doesn't know about Liverpool isn't worth knowing. It's his life. He was raving about Owen before he even played for the 1st team. If we could get a gem for a season it's worth doing a loan deal but no point in trying to develop a bang average player for another team.

Futurejambo1

Can't really see the point in this one, if Liam Smith is going on loan Brandon and McGhee are there to cover as is Smith-Brown, So we stop Brandon's opportunities this season. If it's for midfield we have sufficient cover players. A first choice midfielder is what's required. Don't think this sends out the right message to our fringe players and seems a waste of money if we are contributing towards his wages.

Archived