Come on Ann get Cathro sacked ( merged )

mitch41

We need a Levein type manager and pronto.

Not so sure about that as it is his influence on Cathro that has resulted in our performances.

We need someone who is their own man and can get the players up for games. Unfortunately so long as Levein is at Hearts we are not going to get that as very few tried and tested coaches would work with him.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reasons to not sack him

Errrrr Ummmm shite day out there today eh

Reasons to sack him

Makes John Mcglynn, Csaba, Mclean, Korobotchjob and Frail all look good

Worst home defeat in 44 years

Lost to a 4th tier Scottish league team

Since he took over we would be relegated

We are getting worse with every game

No strength on the bench or on the pitch (he has had 2 transfer windows)

His post-match ramblings

The Hibs game

The players VERY CLEARLY do not, have not and are not responding to him

He has never played the game

Completely inexperienced

??.and bum fluff ******* annoys me

Yes previous owners should hang their heads in shame with some of the dross they have employed as manager. Ann needs to act quickly and employ a manager that knows what he is doing.

Taxi for Cathro.

I've seen enough of this imposter let's get a real manager in. Why not ask the fans who they'd like to manage Hearts rather than Levein.

For me a new manager won't make a sod of a difference - we are set up that we bring in new young coaches who can be influenced in one style of play and who operate with a passing type possession style of play

Until this is ripped up we won't improve mark my words - I don't think the problem is Neilson or Cathro or whoever comes in next - I think we have got the academy coaching right for the younger teams but I think the style of play is too rigid and the coaches don't have enough power/influence to change the tactics we are using on the field

I like levein but my worry is that his ego gets in the way of actually seeing that this may be the root cause IMO

Until last night I saw progress from last season and last night was the first set back. The games I have been to Newcastle and East Fife were encouraging. We are creating more clear cut chances and generally the players we have brought in are better than the ones replaced. Our defense looks much better. We are all aware that we have a problem with the goal keeper and we need another couple of midfield players. The club have told us the hope to sign players in these positions. If we get the same quality in as we have with the other new recruits I reckon we have the basis of a very good team. Am not pressing the panic button. We still have the rest of the window to complete business. I haven't completely given up on Cathro.... he could still make it work.... but I can see the fans turning on him if we don't win on Saturday.

What was the worst home defeat in 44 years?

I thought it was when Celtic did us 7-0 in the cup when Locke was in charge.

Assuming its the 5-0 loss to Celtic?

Captain America

What was the worst home defeat in 44 years?

I thought it was when Celtic did us 7-0 in the cup when Locke was in charge.

Assuming its the 5-0 loss to Celtic?

Think I8 is referring to worst home league defeat and it is the 5-0 you mentioned. 

For me a new manager won't make a sod of a difference - we are set up that we bring in new young coaches who can be influenced in one style of play and who operate with a passing type possession style of play

Until this is ripped up we won't improve mark my words - I don't think the problem is Neilson or Cathro or whoever comes in next - I think we have got the academy coaching right for the younger teams but I think the style of play is too rigid and the coaches don't have enough power/influence to change the tactics we are using on the field

I like levein but my worry is that his ego gets in the way of actually seeing that this may be the root cause IMO

Levein has to go with Cathro. New Manager with new Director of Football but Manager only answers to the full board as the Director of Football is only there to support the Manager and his coach's , scouts ect.

Until last night I saw progress from last season and last night was the first set back. The games I have been to Newcastle and East Fife were encouraging. We are creating more clear cut chances and generally the players we have brought in are better than the ones replaced. Our defense looks much better. We are all aware that we have a problem with the goal keeper and we need another couple of midfield players. The club have told us the hope to sign players in these positions. If we get the same quality in as we have with the other new recruits I reckon we have the basis of a very good team. Am not pressing the panic button. We still have the rest of the window to complete business. I haven't completely given up on Cathro.... he could still make it work.... but I can see the fans turning on him if we don't win on Saturday.

Exactly where I am. Someone said earlier on that they'd seen "no evidence at all of any progress" (or words to that effect) and I just can't agree on that. There are some signs, so I'm hoping this is just a blip and we'll pick up where we left off this weekend. If not, the mood could quickly change again. Our sequence of opening fixtures isn't great and it's entirely possible that we have a grim few weeks ahead. Hopefully not though, of course. I have concerns, but nowhere near panic or protest. 

davemclaren

I won't be there but, if i wss, I would get behind the team rather than protest. If we don't win on Saturday then even I would find it hard to back Cathro any more.

Having watched the Newcastle game and highlights of the East Fife game, I think there are signs of

progress. Do we need a new keeper and a new creative/attacking, centre mid absolutely. I think Martin might still be that player. However, what I have seen in these two games was much more akin to the first 60 mins at Dundee last season when we were brilliant than the end of season dross.

In saying that, by all accounts last night was much more end of season dross!

Think I8 is referring to worst home league defeat and it is the 5-0 you mentioned. 

Yeah cheers I did.

Seriously it is borderline funny reading most of the negative posts on here

Regardless of what people are saying, this is still very much pre season, I know these games are competitive but you can't judge the new team in July, we would be a laughing stock if the club made a change in July!!

Let's see where we are by the time aberdeen come to tynecastle and pass judgement then, by that point we should also have the new GK and attacking midfielder the club are hoping to bring in, theres no doubt our midfield lacks attacking quality and our GK isn't up to standard but I'm still optimistic for next season if both of these are addressed

Personally I like the possession style of football, sadly I think we need to speed it up and turn into positive attacks quicker, but I genuinely think that will happen, we saw it V Newcastle

And let's all be honest....Peterhead away at anytime of the season would have been a potential banana skin

So let's all put our calm pants back on and just see where we are come the aberdeen game

Bungalow Bill

Levein has to go with Cathro. New Manager with new Director of Football but Manager only answers to the full board as the Director of Football is only there to support the Manager and his coach's , scouts ect.

So every time we sack a manager/head coach we also sack the DoF?

OmiyaHearts

Anyone else think that our January signings weren't actually the problem last season?

Plenty. Including me.

There's no reason to keep this guy on as coach. I suspect pro-Cathro posters know themselves the game is up for him. He doesn't have the ability to turn our fortunes around.

Unfortunately I think our board will leave it late and give him enough time to ruin this season before sacking him.

August Landmesser

Regardless of what people are saying, this is still very much pre season, I know these games are competitive but you can't judge the new team in July, we would be a laughing stock if the club made a change in July!!

Let's see where we are by the time aberdeen come to tynecastle and pass judgement then, by that point we should also have the new GK and attacking midfielder the club are hoping to bring in, theres no doubt our midfield lacks attacking quality and our GK isn't up to standard but I'm still optimistic for next season if both of these are addressed

Personally I like the possession style of football, sadly I think we need to speed it up and turn into positive attacks quicker, but I genuinely think that will happen, we saw it V Newcastle

And let's all be honest....Peterhead away at anytime of the season would have been a potential banana skin

So let's all put our calm pants back on and just see where we are come the aberdeen game

This.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

So Cathro said yesterday "Make no mistake the season has started" but you know better?

Levein and Cathro came out and said that the League Cup was a priority this season - that result last night means we could be emptied out before the knock out even starts.

As for a FOURTH division part time side being a "banana skin" you just have to be joking surely.

"calm pants"??  Aye right!

tolcross lad

The modern way. Manager/coach is always to blame. Players get off Scot free. Ah but the manager sets them up he decides the tactics blah blah ******* blah.

Can football players not think for themselves nowadays? Ian Cathro didn't give the penalty away. Arnaud Djoum did.

Ian Cathro didn't hit the bar when it may have been easier to score, Jamie Walker did. Christophe Berra is a great leader. Where was that leadership last night?

I may not have played professional football. I know one thing when I had a poor game on the pitch it wasn't the managers fault I played poorly it was my own. Like all facets of modern society personal responsibility appears to be a no no. Time for the players to man up and show they care playing for Hearts and us Hearts supporters.

I think that you are being unrealistic.Of course there is a responsibility on individual players but that can only go so far.Management is the key to the performance of a team in terms of leadership, motivation of individuals and team,man management,team cohesion,style of play,role of players, team set up etc.Its why the appointment of manager/head coach is seen as key.Good managers get the best out of players and a team.

Plenty. Including me.

There's no reason to keep this guy on as coach. I suspect pro-Cathro posters know themselves the game is up for him. He doesn't have the ability to turn our fortunes around.

Unfortunately I think our board will leave it late and give him enough time to ruin this season before sacking him.

Is anyone going to be able to turn it around under our current structure or have the handcuffs removed to play the football philosophy they actually believe in? Will they be allowed

People saying if cathro doesn't work out go for Houston/Hartley/Pressley etc - the reality is that it will be more like Daly or another young coach who "fits the system"

We won't go for Managers with experience - it isn't the philosophy now, not my words but Craig Leveins

Exactly where I am. Someone said earlier on that they'd seen "no evidence at all of any progress" (or words to that effect) and I just can't agree on that. There are some signs, so I'm hoping this is just a blip and we'll pick up where we left off this weekend. If not, the mood could quickly change again. Our sequence of opening fixtures isn't great and it's entirely possible that we have a grim few weeks ahead. Hopefully not though, of course. I have concerns, but nowhere near panic or protest.

My worry is the signs of improvement aren't in line with the quality of player we have signed. Naturally things will improve with better players. We have lafferty scoring goals and a far more competent defence. The reality is that football throws up the odd shock but what Cathro really didn't need was a shock on the proportions of last night. It raises far too many questions about his ability to manage this group of players. I honestly think we're a defeat on Saturday from this really turning into a really nasty stand off between the fans and the management/board.

A 2nd defeat in front of the home support will really lose him any good will that's left. Given the 4 away games coming up even the best of hearts teams would be up against it to get a decent points haul from that, unfortunately that'll be ignored by many and Cathro would be as well resigning for his own sake.

Jam Tarts 1874

Man has no integrity whatsoever, otherwise he'd have handed in his resignation by now.

No - we bump this D of F crap and appoint an experienced manager with a proven track record.   The Levein fantasy project is failing for all to see.

Man has no integrity whatsoever, otherwise he'd have handed in his resignation by now.

No chance. One thing we have learned is that Cathro is an arrogant wee tosser.   One upstairs is bad enough, but one on the touchline is a recipe for disaster.

Your acting like a child of course we don't what i propose is a different set-up.

Is anyone going to be able to turn it around under our current structure or have the handcuffs removed to play the football philosophy they actually believe in? Will they be allowed

People saying if cathro doesn't work out go for Houston/Hartley/Pressley etc - the reality is that it will be more like Daly or another young coach who "fits the system"

We won't go for Managers with experience - it isn't the philosophy now, not my words but Craig Leveins

We also had a ridged recruitment policy, it failed so Ann stepped in and changed it. So the current philosophy on managerial appoints must also be open to change.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with bringing in coaches and promoting them but let them learn their trade first under an experienced guy...That's a progressive model and one which served the likes of Liverpool so well in the past.

CL can claim to be advising and the likes but unless he's down there on the touchline and in the dressing room he's just hanging Cathro out to dry. We have the players and Cathro has the football brain but we lack a number of other attributes like in game management and motivation. At no stage in his career have we looked like a team hungry to win games, that comes from instilling belief in the players and making the right changes at the right time to win games.

It's the same old backers of Cathro (getting less though) who won't accept Cathro is out of his depth and doesn't have the tools to be Manager of Hearts. These Cathro lovers will stand up for their hero even if we get relagated and knocked out of the cups early doors.

ford donald

So Cathro said yesterday "Make no mistake the season has started" but you know better?

Levein and Cathro came out and said that the League Cup was a priority this season - that result last night means we could be emptied out before the knock out even starts.

As for a FOURTH division part time side being a "banana skin" you just have to be joking surely.

"calm pants"??  Aye right!

Cathro is full of it,work in progress,novice manager,recipe for wasting time and money if you ask me.Levein  must take full responsibilty for appointing him.

Sydney Devine

This is like a long goodbye. Ian Cathro will continue to bumble along until our second defeat to Hibs which is not until the end of December (I think). Mrs Budge will then make the decision she should have made six months earlier. I am sure we will get the odd good result here and there, but there is no evidence to suggest it's going to be any different to what we have seen since December 16.

We just need to wait till we get to the end point and then hope we have a change in philosophy.

Mrs Budge, Levein and Ian Cathro should not misinterpret the fact we continue to follow and back the team as support and understanding of a very poor set of results.

williamgerrard

Same old overreacting threads yet again after a defeat. We lost by a late penalty we didn't get pumped last night. Honestly some of our fans are embarrassing where u at the game last night i was and sorry its not a over reaction 3games against weaker teams yet we still struggle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bungalow Bill

Your acting like a child of course we don't what i propose is a different set-up.

Oh the irony.

"calm pants"?? Aye right!

You are exactly the kind of fan that my post is aimed towards !!

The stark reality is that ANY game in July is a banana skin (Maltese minnows spring to mind)

There has been enough in other games preseason to show there has been some progress....most were pretty hopeful on here after the Newcastle game, but it would seem there are quite a few "fans" on here that are just waiting to pounce on any bad result/negativity

Yes the second half of last season was brutal, but you don't let a manager build a new team and then punt him after that new team has one had result

I think giving him until the aberdeen game is fair and if a change was needed it wouldn't be to late on

Can't agree with this at all. When things aren't easy and you're under pressure it takes a lot more to stick with it and continue to work through difficulties than it does to chuck the towel in and run away. He might not have the skills we need in the end (hope he does but we haven't seen huge evidence of that yet) but I think it's highly unfair to question his integrity or moral fibre.

This stuff really bugs me. Why can't some people accept a run of bad results without resorting to spurious personal attacks? 

We also had a ridged recruitment policy, it failed so Ann stepped in and changed it. So the current philosophy on managerial appoints must also be open to change.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with bringing in coaches and promoting them but let them learn their trade first under an experienced guy...That's a progressive model and one which served the likes of Liverpool so well in the past.

CL can claim to be advising and the likes but unless he's down there on the touchline and in the dressing room he's just hanging Cathro out to dry. We have the players and Cathro has the football brain but we lack a number of other attributes like in game management and motivation. At no stage in his career have we looked like a team hungry to win games, that comes from instilling belief in the players and making the right changes at the right time to win games.

Agree with the hanging cathro out to dry part - in any business it isn't just the direct line Manager who is accountable, his boss is also accountable - you can sack a coach and then sack the next one but that doesn't preclude why the business isn't getting the desired results

As fans that's what we are trying to understand the real reasons why ... sacking coaches who may not be the real issue isn't a great model for success - we don't need a self preservation attitude therefore potentially creating a poisoned chalice at our club - as u said a nursery system of coaches learning from an experienced man at the helm is great but we are chucking them straight into the lions den

Gigolo-Aunt

Not sure if its true but apparently he offered his resignation last year.

For what its worth, even though I am very sceptical he will get things right, I would prefer him to fight for this and not jump ship.

Results driven business and we're losing money because of him. I thought a goalie was a priority but getting rid of him is much more important.

Jam Tarts 1874

Can't agree with this at all. When things aren't easy and you're under pressure it takes a lot more to stick with it and continue to work through difficulties than it does to chuck the towel in and run away. He might not have the skills we need in the end (hope he does but we haven't seen huge evidence of that yet) but I think it's highly unfair to question his integrity or moral fibre.

This stuff really bugs me. Why can't some people accept a run of bad results without resorting to spurious personal attacks? 

He knows he is in way over his head, he is just blagging it and bringing the team down.  He doesn't have the guts to admit he can't do the job.

What do you class as a "run of bad results"?  He has had 7 months, two transfer windows and a pre-season.  He inherited a team that was 2nd in the league and destroyed it.  I think it is "highly unfair" for him to continue to take Hearts' fan's money.

The sooner he is gone the better for everyone concerned.

Cruyff Turn

It's the same old backers of Cathro (getting less though) who won't accept Cathro is out of his depth and doesn't have the tools to be Manager of Hearts. These Cathro lovers will stand up for their hero even if we get relagated and knocked out of the cups early doors.

Have some sense of perspective. No Hearts supporter is going to sit idly by and do or say nothing if we are knocked out of the League Cup or do not meet expectations early doors this season.

IC has had his honeymoon period. There is no more excuses. He is on probation now and if things don't improve early doors HE WILL BE SACKED.

Terrible result yes, yes it was, probably the worst in my time anyway. Fortunately it wasn't a Knockout game and hopefully it will act as a wake up call and we trounce the Pars on Saturday.

This is though a complete overreaction to a defeat.

Happened to Celtic around this time last year, beaten by Lincoln Red Imps, then they went unbeaten domestically for an entire season. I'm not saying IC is comparable with Rodgers or that we will miraculously go on a 40 game unbeaten run. All I'm saying is these results happen and it isn't a fair measure of a team and how they will react.

Far to soon to be frothing out the mouth and calling for his head now. If we are beaten on Saturday, fair enough but we have a chance to remedy last night's result. We can still have a good season, you don't have a crystal ball, nor do I, so relax, it's no the end of the world.

The stark reality is that ANY game in July is a banana skin (Maltese minnows spring to mind)

There has been enough in other games preseason to show there has been some progress....most were pretty hopeful on here after the Newcastle game, but it would seem there are quite a few "fans" on here that are just waiting to pounce on any bad result/negativity

Yes the second half of last season was brutal, but you don't let a manager build a new team and then punt him after that new team has one had result

I think giving him until the aberdeen game is fair and if a change was needed it wouldn't be to late on

Last night wasnt just any bad result though was it. It was one of the most embarrassing in our history.

Regardless of what point in the season it is, we should be beating a League 2 part time side with ease with our full strength team on the park.

J.T.F.Robertson

Is Cathro still our Coach? Expected to log on at lunchtime and see he'd been emptied.

I have to admit I didn't "expect" it but did hope like hell for it. The whole thing has turned into a complete disaster.

Why post this when you know it's nonsense ?

No one will back Cathro if we lose our next six or seven games...no one !

I'm quite confident of that. Those of us who have purchased Season books will have faith that the club will do the right thing if the worst happens...and they will.

If they don't, you will, no doubt, have plenty of recruits for any propsed action you'll be planning.

A bold experiment that's failed. Time for those in charge to take stock and move on. We need someone in charge who can motivate the players and win games.

Is that right Scotty

Firstly you said it was a banana skin "at any time of the season" not July as you have now said!

The first half of the Newcastle friendly showed signs of encouragement, however we regressed in the second half.

In competitive games the win at Elgin was less than convincing, as were parts of the game against East Fife although the weather played a part - last night losing to a part time FOURTH division team tells me something is far wrong.

Last season was a disgrace under Cathro and many of us were prepared to wipe the slate. Failure to beat Dunfermline, and an exit from a cup that was seeming one of our priorities this season is just beyond acceptable.

samcdonald22

a wee reminder ....Hearts have won only five of the 17 games since 30-year-old Cathro took charge.

At that stage, they were three points ahead of Saturday's opponents Aberdeen. Now they're 17 behind.

A five-point advantage over St Johnstone has now become a two-point deficit, with the Perth team taking over fourth place.

Lucille's Thirsty

Even if we do win he has to go.

I am dreading the derbies this season

You can bet every hibs fan will be counting down the days to the first Derby. I actually think Cathro might break another record in that game for all the wrong reasons.

It's actually a terrible state of affairs mate.

Lennon and Hibs fans are licking their lips with anticipation,that pretty much says it all.

He won't cut it here.

I have to admit I didn't "expect" it but did hope like hell for it. The whole thing has turned into a complete disaster.

On the playing side we are staggering from one disaster to another. Levein should be well aware that he is complicit in this. If those at top allow this shambles to continue surely others must follow Cathro down the road. Last night was completely unacceptable.

Last night wasnt just any bad result though was it. It was one of the most embarrassing in our history.

Regardless of what point in the season it is, we should be beating a League 2 part time side with ease with our full strength team on the park.

I disagree about this being one of the worst results in our history, and I'm sorry but the time of the season definitely is a factor, also is the fact that this is a new team playing together and also a new formation for many

Holyrood_Hearts

Same old overreacting threads yet again after a defeat. We lost by a late penalty we didn't get pumped last night. Honestly some of our fans are embarrassing where u at the game last night i was and sorry its not a over reaction 3games against weaker teams yet we still struggle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did we struggle against Elgin or East Fife exactly? We were never in any danger at any point in either game.

Archived