Come on Ann get Cathro sacked ( merged )

mitch41

Geoff Kilpatrick

While the Peterhead result is the most embarrassing of my Hearts supporting lifetime, I will remember both of the Hibs cup defeats for a long, long time. The one last season was the most depressing game I've attended.

Fair enough. Thankfully, recalling defeats by the vermin in my lifetime is a rare thing. I can still recall the 3-1 defeat down there back in early 2000 where JJ tried to man mark their front three, with hilarious consequences. Leclerq man marking Latapy. Shudder!

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kingantti1874

While the Peterhead result is the most embarrassing of my Hearts supporting lifetime, I will remember both of the Hibs cup defeats for a long, long time. The one last season was the most depressing game I've attended.

Agreed.. We lost before but that was different.. Battered

A writer like John Fairgrieve suggested Tynecastle be turned into a car park after we lost to Forfar in 1982. Other horrendous results have been picked out such as Montrose in 1987. In a few years, that vermin defeat from last year won't be recalled at all. This defeat will be. That's the difference.

I was around for those games and had forgotten them. They don't even come close to cup final and semi final disappointments or 85/86 or bad derby defeats. Peterhead away in a LC group game - not even close. Those results against lower league opposition are remembered for their shock value more than anything else. They are not indicators of any particular malaise at the club and usually people don't panic like this after them.

It's understandable I suppose given Cathro's record so far, but we did win 2 other games which seems to have been forgotten. Allowing Peterhead to ruin our season by dwelling on it would be a bad idea IMO. Some people did that with the Euro results last season and it didn't help matters at all. Confident teams brush off these bad results (including derbies). Our fans need to develop some backbone and arrogance again instead of crying after every defeat.

No point in debating with him. Only when we start to lose league games after another underwhelming and disorganised close season will he wake up and accept the inevitable.

How anyone still has a shred of faith in the man is beyond me. if I could actually see small steps of progress I'd happily give him time. I've seen nothing. Stagnation. Pedestrian football. He's has over 30 games in charge now and we are honking.

Just utterly, utterly gutless. It was then that I realised Cathro just wasn't going to cut it. I have been hoping, and still do hope, that he will show something to change my mind. Right now, I see no prospect of that happening.

Lucille's Thirsty

It's a depressing trait we are developing in the derbies, it like a sort of nothingness of a performance.

It's like 11 empty Hearts top just floating about.

kingantti1874

It's a depressing trait we are developing in the derbies, it like a sort of nothingness of a performance.

It's like 11 empty Hearts top just floating about.

It's a bit hibs esque isn't it.. Not only that our fans are going on about finances, nice stadiums, training pitches and trying to play nice football.

The worst role reversal ever

It's a bit hibs esque isn't it.. Not only that our fans are going on about finances, nice stadiums, training pitches and trying to play nice football.

:)

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

TBH it's that game which infuriates the most and is the reason why it was absolutely essential that Cathro start this season with ultimate positivity. What has happened? It has started with the worst competitive result in more than 30 years. Hibs currently have a manager who has champions league managing experience. Why are we tolerating this?

We all wanted it to work. When cathro was getting a pasting from the Scottish dinosaurs we all rallied around him and were desperate for him to succeed. There has been no improvement,nothing has changed. Why should we allow him to ruin two seasons instead of just one?

Also lets not forget Levein. The whole idea of his role is that we have continuity when we change managers, well that has been a complete and utter disaster. The January transfer window was a total joke and goes against everything that we are supposed to be building for.

We are into year 4 now and we are going backwards.

This.

He's the worst manager in our history, breaking all sorts of records and is a shambles in front of a camera which is in itself making us a laughing stock.

I don't know one single Hearts fan personally who has any faith whatsoever in him.

Time will tell of course but with the talent at his disposal since he came on board he has sensationally underperformed.

The ridiculous result midweek has heaped unnecessary pressure on him unfortunately of which he could of well done without

If the Peterhead defeat was a shock it wouldn't matter nearly as much. Losing 1-7 to Dundee in 1964 was a real shock and we didn't go into meltdown as a consequence

Given our Birkirkara debacle last season I wouldn't regard a defeat from Forfar reserves as a shock under this administration.

Lucille's Thirsty

It is.

But they still haven't won at Tynie in Budge era something Cathro will see to.

kingantti1874

It is.

But they still haven't won at Tynie in Budge era something Cathro will see to.

I hope to god he is not in charge come the first Derby in front of the new stand

I have supported Hearts for nearly 50 years and have witnessed heartbreak (Dens 1986, numerous cup final defeats, 0-7), elation (3 cup wins, 5-1 twice, beating Bayern), great entertainment (Slavia Prague, & the Burley performances), boring, disjointed performances (under Seith, Frail, McLean), cracking players (Ford, Jardine, Levein, Robbo, Colquhoun, Hartley Pressley, McCann, Rudi and the great Takis) , journeymen (almost all of the time), imposters (Pinilla, Kingston) two episodes where the club was close to demise and some outstanding managers (Macdonald, Jefferies). In other words the most mixed of bags.

That mixture, for me, has been part and parcel of the joy of following our club. The all too frequent lows always make the occasional highs feel so much stronger.

So, here is one supporter who feels that a horrendous defeat to a fourth tier club is not the end of the world - I have seen bad results many times before. I still feel , as I did when he was appointed, that Cathro would be good for the club, perhaps even terrific, in time.

But Levein should be manager, taking Cathro under his wing for a season or so, to determine whether he has what it takes to be more than a clever coach. The experiment with Cathro is well worth pursuing IMO, but it was the wrong experiment at the wrong time. He had no opportunity to learn to be a Hearts manager and, like Gary Locke, is being destroyed because of it.

I have supported Hearts for nearly 50 years and have witnessed heartbreak (Dens 1986, numerous cup final defeats, 0-7), elation (3 cup wins, 5-1 twice, beating Bayern), great entertainment (Slavia Prague, & the Burley performances), boring, disjointed performances (under Seith, Frail, McLean), cracking players (Ford, Jardine, Levein, Robbo, Colquhoun, Hartley Pressley, McCann, Rudi and the great Takis) , journeymen (almost all of the time), imposters (Pinilla, Kingston) two episodes where the club was close to demise and some outstanding managers (Macdonald, Jefferies). In other words the most mixed of bags.

That mixture, for me, has been part and parcel of the joy of following our club. The all too frequent lows always make the occasional highs feel so much stronger.

So, here is one supporter who feels that a horrendous defeat to a fourth tier club is not the end of the world - I have seen bad results many times before. I still feel , as I did when he was appointed, that Cathro would be good for the club, perhaps even terrific, in time.

But Levein should be manager, taking Cathro under his wing for a season or so, to determine whether he has what it takes to be more than a clever coach. The experiment with Cathro is well worth pursuing IMO, but it was the wrong experiment at the wrong time. He had no opportunity to learn to be a Hearts manager and, like Gary Locke, is being destroyed because of it.

Well said.

Lucille's Thirsty

I hope to god he is not in charge come the first Derby in front of the new stand

I don't want him in charge of games at all now.

He's not going to last but nothing is being done.

We do our bit of backing the club with 13,500 season tickets and 8500 donations to the FOH.

It's time the people in charge to do their bit.

I don't want him in charge of games at all now.

He's not going to last but nothing is being done.

We do our bit of backing the club with 13,500 season tickets and 8500 donations to the FOH.

It's time the people in charge to do their bit.

If they thought he wasn't up to the job in summer they would have sacked him then. They're not going to sack him after the Peterhead result no matter how much you want them to. Good, because that means they are adults who take a long-term view and make considered decisions based on a whole variety of factors.

kingantti1874

If they thought he wasn't up to the job in summer they would have sacked him then. They're not going to sack him after the Peterhead result no matter how much you want them to. Good, because that means they are adults who take a long-term view and make considered decisions based on a whole variety of factors.

They were wrong then, they are wrong now.. Like asking a bus driver to fly a plane.. Even you think they are wrong according to your earlier posts

the big show

The problem is though when you look at all the other factors it falls heavely against him and it is hard to make case for to be positive or confident and honestly say that he will be a success, it is more hope than genuine feeling he will be a success . The fans made there feelings known last year in there droves and results like the other night do not help his cause any , The fans have backed the club in there droves again but there comes a time something has got to give , That time might be closer than a few think ...

Fair enough. Thankfully, recalling defeats by the vermin in my lifetime is a rare thing. I can still recall the 3-1 defeat down there back in early 2000 where JJ tried to man mark their front three, with hilarious consequences. Leclerq man marking Latapy. Shudder!

Was that the game David Hagen put us 1 up before Kevin Harper tore us to shreds? Think the away end was knocked down at the time and we only had a small support in a section of the main stand. As bad a Derby performance as last season's debacle, if not worse.

They were wrong then, they are wrong now.. Like asking a bus driver to fly a plane.. Even you think they are wrong according to your earlier posts

I'm pretty sure they understand he didn't take over at the best time in January and mistakes were made with recruitment, and they want to give him a chance with a full pre-season behind him and a better squad. Seems reasonable. Levein's been in the game long enough to know players and managers can turn things around. By the way it also works in reverse. A manager can look great in his first season and then bomb in the next.

davemclaren

As mentioned before a win on Saturday gets us back on track competition wise. A convincing win would help lift morale in the stands even higher. Here's hoping...

Alma Matters

As mentioned before a win on Saturday gets us back on track competition wise. A convincing win would help lift morale in the stands even higher. Here's hoping...

A defeat though is unthinkable.  I don't think Cathro will be sacked, but if by some chance he was, we could be heading to Parkhead with Jon Daly in charge..

Levein would surely have to take control of the team if that eventuality occurs.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Was that the game David Hagen put us 1 up before Kevin Harper tore us to shreds? Think the away end was knocked down at the time and we only had a small support in a section of the main stand. As bad a Derby performance as last season's debacle, if not worse.

No. Darren Jackson scored a screamer for us.

The Old Tolbooth

We have a manager who's failing badly at being a DoF, we have a coach who's failing badly at being a manager, and we have an owner who hasn't woken up to smell the coffee and is unlikely to, what's it going to take before action is taken? Relegation threatened? Actually going down? Lord only knows how we've shifted over 14k season tickets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a manager who's failing badly at being a DoF, we have a coach who's failing badly at being a manager, and we have an owner who hasn't woken up to smell the coffee and is unlikely to, what's it going to take before action is taken? Relegation threatened? Actually going down? Lord only knows how we've shifted over 14k season tickets!

I really think you need to have a wee sniff of coffee or maybe something stronger.

Our DOF is not failing and Ann Budge has rebuilt the club! The head coach part you can have!

Captain America

Should Burley have been sacked after the Livingston league cup defeat? That was a much, much worse result than the Peterhead one. We also only just beat Auchinlech Talbot with a much stronger team than this one. We have a long history of being beaten by teams like this in the cup, as do the other teams. Celtic and Clyde for example?

The league is different, that's the time to judge this new team under Cathro. The pant wetters can do one. Even if he fails it won't be the end of the world. Managers will come and go over the next 20, 30, 40 years but each manager needs to be given a decent amount of time to achieve his vision. As I say, if he fails, we just move on. The idea that we are somehow missing out on trophies etc is ridiculous. How many trophies have we won in our over 140 year history? We're likely to win a cup under Cathro as any other manager.

Losing to another premier league team in the cup is no way worse than losing to a L2 side. 

Cathro has managed us in 7 games against lower league sides and only won 2 of those games in 90mins. 

the big show

I really think you need to have a wee sniff of coffee or maybe something stronger.

Our DOF is not failing and Ann Budge has rebuilt the club! The head coach part you can have!

So what has Sammon , Johnson , Martins , done to merit the contracts and wages they are on , i could go on as there are plenty more but if you are going to completety ignore our transfer dealing over the last couple years then i'm afraid your needing somerthing stronger . Granted there has been 2 or 3 decent signings but lets not kid ourselfs that the money that has been wasted 1st and last on signings that are virtually giving nothing back to the club for the wages they are on is nothing short of shocking , Remember our Dof is in charge of all matters football that includes tranfers, contracts etc etrc .. And also don't forget he gave Cathro his position ..

So what has Sammon , Johnson , Martins , done to merit the contracts and wages they are on , i could go on as there are plenty more but if you are going to completety ignore our transfer dealing over the last couple years then i'm afraid your needing somerthing stronger . Granted there has been 2 or 3 decent signings but lets not kid ourselfs that the money that has been wasted 1st and last on signings that are virtually giving nothing back to the club for the wages they are on is nothing short of shocking , Remember our Dof is in charge of all matters football that includes tranfers, contracts etc etrc .. And also don't forget he gave Cathro his position ..

Sorry man but you are like many others who cannot see or do not understand the DoF role. He's not all about the first team. He came into the club when we were a shell. He's set the vision out and a major part of that was the youth academy and establishing us back in the top league. Under his stewardship we have won the championship, qualified for Europe and finished 5th and that's only a part of his role. Have you seen what is coming through the academy....if not you should go take a look! Yes I grant you some of the signings are dross but come on we sold one of these 'decent' signings for over a million quid. Walker is still here despite sustained pressure from Rangers and for all the shit signings look at the squad now. Cathro is of course a problem but it won't go on if it's clearly not working he may be stubborn but he's not stupid.

You need to get the blinkers off and look at the big picture. The future is very bright, the current issue will be sorted it's just a question of how and when.

the big show

Sorry man but you are like many others who cannot see or do not understand the DoF role. He's not all about the first team. He came into the club when we were a shell. He's set the vision out and a major part of that was the youth academy and establishing us back in the top league. Under his stewardship we have won the championship, qualified for Europe and finished 5th and that's only a part of his role. Have you seen what is coming through the academy....if not you should go take a look! Yes I grant you some of the signings are dross but come on we sold one of these 'decent' signings for over a million quid. Walker is still here despite sustained pressure from Rangers and for all the shit signings look at the squad now. Cathro is of course a problem but it won't go on if it's clearly not working he may be stubborn but he's not stupid.

You need to get the blinkers off and look at the big picture. The future is very bright, the current issue will be sorted it's just a question of how and when.

i could tell you plenty about the Academy m8 however not all of it would be to your or a few others liking so we will leave it at that . Now i know who needs to take the blinkers of because the fact of the matter is ignorance is one thing but how long does it take before it comes back to bite you . The man is so ego driven it is untrue and will not take the blame for nothing is it coincidence he sat back and let Neilson take all the flak as well  , You may have genuine hope we can be successful under this current regime however a don't think you can ignore that there is a very large % of the Hearts support that has serious concerns and in my opinion rightly so given what has happened since they took over , Personally it would be ignorance not to . Off the pitch new stand etc fantastic However on the pitch were it matters it has been a nightmare .. I Hope they have success although i feel i'm clutching at straws like plenty others ..

Stephen Muddie

Kickback is a pretty toxic environment when things aren't going good.

I can't wait until a happier train rolls into town again.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

You say that mate but a lot of the long-standing criticisms of the club - recruitment and Levein's approach to picking coaches - are being shown to be spot on. People who work in football like everyone else to think that it's this massively complex science that only folk on the inside can actually understand but actually, if you open your eyes and look past the emperors new clothes, you can see that our approach isn't working and hasn't been working for some time. The fact that Levein has more coaching badges than me doesn't mean I can't understand what a **** up these 18 months have been.

ford donald

Our DOF is not failing?Two novice managers appointed,to satisfy his ego,your having a laugh!

Doesn't matter what we think.

Well it should because any good business should listen to their customers and that's what we fans are as well as a lot of donators.

You are referencing young or younger to Cathro. And without doubt it was the nadir of JJ's tenure. However, as sickening as that result was, that vermin team was flying near the top of the league and deservedly ripped us a new one that night. Peterhead, by contrast, are part timers playing in the bottom tier of Scottish football.

I'll draw a contrast to ye olde Rangers. In Martin O'Neill's first derby, Septic took them apart 6-2. What lives more in ignominy for them? That game or the Berwick Rangers cup defeat in 1967?

I know plenty sevconians. I'll put that last question to them but I already have a good idea that the 6-2 game will " win ".

I'm maybe being harsh calling him stubborn. He knows this is a huge opportunity to make a career for himself in his chosen industry. He's not just going to walk away from this because he's had a poor first 9 months. He'll want to turn things around because he'll know he may never get this chance again.

You have just hit the nail on the head with this post as it's all about Cathro not Hearts just like his DOF.

I know a lot of people can't take defeat by Hibs at any time but I think the reactions to the last two seasons have been way overboard.  Christ imagine losing a cup final 5-1 to them?  Mass suicide on KB.

I know a lot of people can't take defeat by Hibs at any time but I think the reactions to the last two seasons have been way overboard. Christ imagine losing a cup final 5-1 to them? Mass suicide on KB.

I can't imagine, thankfully. Watching us get horses 3-1 on a ****ing freezing midweek night in February in that shithole, with one of the most insipid, gutless displays I've ever seen was bad enough.

Faycal Rherras recently retweeted the sun article about Jim McInally branding Cathro as 'disrespectful'. Would love to know the full Rherras story.

Our DOF is not failing?Two novice managers appointed,to satisfy his ego,your having a laugh!

:spoton:

i could tell you plenty about the Academy m8 however not all of it would be to your or a few others liking so we will leave it at that . Now i know who needs to take the blinkers of because the fact of the matter is ignorance is one thing but how long does it take before it comes back to bite you . The man is so ego driven it is untrue and will not take the blame for nothing is it coincidence he sat back and let Neilson take all the flak as well , You may have genuine hope we can be successful under this current regime however a don't think you can ignore that there is a very large % of the Hearts support that has serious concerns and in my opinion rightly so given what has happened since they took over , Personally it would be ignorance not to . Off the pitch new stand etc fantastic However on the pitch were it matters it has been a nightmare .. I Hope they have success although i feel i'm clutching at straws like plenty others ..

Listen man, things aren't perfect, far from it and a quick scan at my posts will show you exactly my thoughts on it. I go to most games and in all honesty the last 5 games of last season was the first time in 30 years I've felt like going to games is a chore and if not for the social aspect I may not have bothered.

But I do think the current Cathro situation is clouding judgement. Despite the Hibs game and some of the football you cannot say Neilson was a failure he simply wasn't and the right replacement would have seen us move to the next level. Now yes CL brought in Cathro but on paper it looked an exciting appointment.

Very few academies produce a constant stream of talent so if we can get 5 first team players in the next two years then that is a success...That's CLs remit and he has to be praised for that.

He is bringing in good players and has learnt from past mistakes so again credit where it's due.

You have to remember Budge and Levien are only short term custodians until the fans take the reigns so if we have a solid infrastructure, a new stadium and a great academy when that happens they have done their job.

Cathro is not a permanent fixture we fans and the club are so lets try and look forward and trust them to do the right thing for a couple more years.

Faycal Rherras

:facepalm:

Holy shit, if ever there was a player that just instantly puts a dark cloud over me it is this oxygen thief. 

You don't have to read it.

The Old Tolbooth

The DoF isn't failing? Really?

He's taken us from a seriously promising position to relegation material in less than a year with his experimental nonsense, the buck stops with him as it's him who hires these complete duds, and he's way out of his depth as he doesn't even recognise the fact that we're utterly rancid to watch.

We're getting do much right off the pitch, and so much wrong where it counts, and he has to be accountable for that, no excuses!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived