Scotland U16s v Qatar

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

The game at the Oriam kicks off at 1pm. It's being streamed live by the SFA.

Hearts have three players in the squad. Connor Smith is captain and starts, while Cammy Logan and Josh Grigor are on the bench.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Great finish from Dembele, great turn of pace and agressive running at the full back. 

Footballfirst

Unusually for Scotland they were physically stronger and quicker than their opponents, and the score reflected the gulf between the sides.

The Hearts youngsters did OK.  Smith was a bit quieter than  he normally is but put in some great crosses from set pieces.  Grigor was quite impressive at centre back and very vocal, while Logan did well getting forward.

As others have noted, Dembele made quite an impact with three assists and a goal from his 35 mins on the park.  He is only playing one year up from his age group this year so wasn't as disadvantaged physically. His close control, dribbling and finishing were excellent.

You can see the goals on the SFA's twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/ScottishFA

Next game is against England at Forthbank on Thursday.

I was under the impression Dembele had chosen to represent England from now on. What happened there?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I was under the impression Dembele had chosen to represent England from now on. What happened there?

He's a smart boy!

I take it you can play for whoever you like, whenever you like before being a senior player?

Heartsofgold

I take it you can play for whoever you like, whenever you like before being a senior player?

I think at that age group, a lot comes down to where your actually schooled.

Stephen Muddie

I'm not sure but think so. Not 100% but think you have to have played a competitive match (friendlies don't count) for a country before you're barred from others.

Then again, rules could've changed but this was the case I'm pretty sure when Scotland were trying to get McCarthy

Edit: provided you have grandparental lineage most distant

I thought he was selected in both a Scotland and an England squad, but retains the option to represent either.

Stephen Muddie

I thought he was selected in both a Scotland and an England squad, but retains the option to represent either.

Until he plays a competitive senior match for either nation?? I want an answer. I'm sick of researching for ungrateful, hateful kickbackers

Edit: This isn't aimed at you Doc, you're awesome. It's aimed at the tiresome.

Footballfirst

All three Hearts lads start this evening's game against England. KO at 5:30pm

Will again be streamed live on the SFA Youtube channel

Just tuned in to see 2nd goal

Nicely worked and finished

Good celebration shows they want it

Footballfirst

Final game against Uruguay at the Oriam on Saturday at 1pm.  Uruguay beat Qatar 4-0 today

Thought Grigor and Smith were both excellent also the boy Dylan Forrest from Celtic. Smith exactly the type of player we're missing at first team level atm.

Great entertainment! Well done the Hearts lads.

Any of them stand out? Great to have three at this level. Well done boys.

Was loving the Number 14 getting stuck in and celebrating at the end - glad to find out he was one of the Hearts' boys!

The Scotland team showed a spirit and application that deserved the win.

They always had more energy (cramps aside) and forced mistakes several in England's 18 yard area. I liked how they committed fouls first half to disrupt England while not annoying the ref too much. They were forced to defend deep but did that comfortably. While England had good skill and a lot of pressure they seemed to lack the killer instinct and creating no clear cut chances the penalty aside which was a great save.

Malky McKay talked of the younger age groups having more application and work rate. That showed.

Another thought - this is the home intenatiomal Victory Shield age group. The tournament England dropped out of because they want better opponents. Well the English boys will have learnt a lot today.

They always had more energy (cramps aside) and forced mistakes several in England's 18 yard area. I liked how they committed fouls first half to disrupt England while not annoying the ref too much. They were forced to defend deep but did that comfortably. While England had good skill and a lot of pressure they seemed to lack the killer instinct and creating no clear cut chances the penalty aside which was a great save.

Malky McKay talked of the younger age groups having more application and work rate. That showed.

Another thought - this is the home intenatiomal Victory Shield age group. The tournament England dropped out of because they want better opponents. Well the English boys will have learnt a lot today.

Great summary. Love the last para!

What i like is a bit of identity. Yeah we need to be with the times and produce technically sound players but i feel Scotland and our teams (Hearts!) have tried to play too much possession type football and frankly its usually laboured and slow. A bit of good old Scottish up n at em taught early can only be a good thing imo.

Great news this. Between a miserable cold and the first team, this is the first bit of good news all week.

CornhillHearts

Any of them stand out? Great to have three at this level. Well done boys.

Agree with above.

Was impressed with both centre halves especially Josh Grigor of Hearts (I may be biased), very vocal and a determined display, Cameron Logan also had a great game where he was full of running.

The other stand out for me was Forrest of Celtic

All the Hearts lads showed up really well.

My son made another match day vlog with highlights below, (warning may contain high pitched screams from wee ones)

Footballfirst

Scotland 1-0 up on Uruguay 15 mins into the second half. Connor Smith with the goal.

Footballfirst

None of the Hearts lads started today's game.  The first half was pretty even with Scotland starting the better, but with Uruguay coming into the game as the half progressed.    The quality of the game wasn't as good as the previous two.

Connor Smith and Josh Grigor were brought on at half time, and the Scots performance improved thereafter.  Smith's opening goal was well worked with the Hearts midfielder involved in the build up and then made a run into the box to get on the end of a neat chipped passed to take the ball round the keeper  and slot the ball into the net.

Dembele's goal came from the spot as he drove the ball down the middle.  Apart from a couple of excellent touches he was fairly quiet throughout.

Josh Grigor was involved in an off the ball incident with a Uruguayan striker, which saw the Uruguayan red carded.  I didn't see the incident so I don't know what he did.

Cammy Logan came on as a late sub for Spurs' Kane Patterson who I thought was MOTM at right back.

England beat Qatar 8-0 in today's other game.

All three of the Hearts players did themselves proud throughout the duration of the tournament and it should be enough to ensure their selection for the Victory Shield in the Autumn.

There's a video clip of Smith's goal here.

https://twitter.com/ScottishFA/status/891287788565540864

Footballfirst

You can see the full move leading up to Connor Smith's goal from 50:00 on the game clock. He is involved four times in the move from winning the ball to putting it in the net.

Not much to add though Dembele did well first half involved a lot playing on right wing. He played the full game, was delighted to score, enjoyed the celebrations at full time and something others might have missed he sang the national anthem Scotland the Brave along with the other players at start.

It was pretty scrappy but Scotland were confident, strong, tried to keep passing and showed a determination and desire that is encouraging. There were a couple of nasty moments in the game but they stood up to the Uruguayans. Maybe they know their history. They really celebrated all their goals too.

And they won the tournament.

Let's hope the 3 Hearts boys can find decent clubs to play for.

Sorry. Just the way I'm feeling right now.

Archived