Dunkirk

Jeff

Anyone been to see this yet?

Went earlier on today and have to say I really enjoyed it. First film I've seen at the cinema in a long time where I felt totally on edge the whole way through and the whole hour and 40 odd minutes flew by.

Highly recommend it. Take your daughters for the Tom Hardy and Harry Styles show

. Went today, sorry yesterday, really enjoyed it. Didn't realise it was Tom Hardy. Did Harry Styles tho..

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Space Mackerel

Read a few reviews of this, sounds like it's on a par with the multiple Oscar Winner "Pearl Harbour."

Made for money and funny how it's produced at this time, of all times.

Read a few reviews of this, sounds like it's on a par with the multiple Oscar Winner "Pearl Harbour."

Guess what? Most films are produced for money. That's why it's called show business.

And are you trying to imply it's linked with brexit or some such?

Only seen positive reviews and it's nothing like Pearl Harbour no love story for a start.

Seen it in the IMAX.

It's the most incredible film I have ever seen from a technical point of view.  Visually incredible. The sound is so realistic and harrowing they should warn anyone with PTSD not to watch this film.  The roar of German Dive-bombers approaching overhead is terrifying.

There's a couple of things that everyone should know before going to see it however;

It's unconventional.  Don't go in expecting to see a character-driven movie with a typical story-arc.  It's essentially just a 110-minute battle scene and rescue mission.  It's also non-liner in it's timeline, try and keep up with the jumps back & forth in time, you see the same event happen twice in some occasions, from the air then from land.

It's also worth having some knowledge of history before seeing it, the film only gives the bare minimum of historical context.  It's set in 1940, when British & French troops were overpowered by the Germans, and forced back to the Dunkirk beach. 400,000 men.  Things further complicated when the Belgians surrendered, making the troops vulnerable from the east.

Yes, I'm quite sure Nolan and or the producers managed to pitch the idea to financial backers, get the go ahead, write the script, cast, film, do post production all in time to almost coincide with the anniversary of the vote to leave the EU.

They must be gutted they didn't get it out in the week before the vote.

Space Mackerel

Yes, I'm quite sure Nolan and or the producers managed to pitch the idea to financial backers, get the go ahead, write the script, cast, film, do post production all in time to almost coincide with the anniversary of the vote to leave the EU.

They must be gutted they didn't get it out in the week before the vote.

If only life was that simple through your keekers. We wouldn't have to worry about anything to do with any part of any MSM these days eh? :lol:

Is this the film where Ruth Davidson (32 Signals, TA) was saved?

If only life was that simple through your keekers. We wouldn't have to worry about anything to do with any part of any MSM these days eh? :lol:

Is this the film where Ruth Davidson (32 Signals, TA) was saved?

Didn't understand one word.

Though I do admire your consistently standing shoulder to shoulder with your doppelganger.

Space Mackerel

Didn't understand one word.

Though I do admire your consistently standing shoulder to shoulder with your doppelganger.

Damn, the 0.303 cannons from the ME 109's missed her [emoji52]

Governor Tarkin

Stop being a prick, Mackerel.

Back in the UK in a week or so and hope to catch this at the IMAX.

King Canute tried the same trick.

Space Mackerel

I believe you get a medal like the Duke of Edinburgh gets for watching this. 1816876cf1901f0069a2091ff499d1bf.jpg

Just out from Imax evening. Quality film, albeit with some iffy moments. Ably depicted pretty much every human experience in a defining event.

Soundtrack and the percussive audio added to the film greatly also.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Alex Kintner

Saw it last night at the Dominion. Really enjoyed it but found the audio on the dialogue almost indiscernable at times which was a wee bit frustrating. Also took a wee while to figure out the three timelines converging. Apart from that though really enjoyed it, especially the lack of filler used as every moment was pure drama.

Also managed to spot the wee Michael Caine cameo too :thumbsup:

Saw it last night at the Dominion. Really enjoyed it but found the audio on the dialogue almost indiscernable at times which was a wee bit frustrating. Also took a wee while to figure out the three timelines converging. Apart from that though really enjoyed it, especially the lack of filler used as every moment was pure drama.

Also managed to spot the wee Michael Caine cameo too [emoji106]

No problem with dialogue for me last night. Knew about the non linear storyline from earlier posts, but still took a few seconds to adjust between some scenes. Also helped it become clear why the guy REALLY didn't want to go back, would anyone?

Alex Kintner

No problem with dialogue for me last night. Knew about the non linear storyline from earlier posts, but still took a few seconds to adjust between some scenes. Also helped it become clear why the guy REALLY didn't want to go back, would anyone?

Maybe just the particular cinema re. the dialogue then.

Maybe just the particular cinema re. the dialogue then.

I was in an Imax tbf, so you would be able to hear a midge fart I'd expect.

Damn, the 0.303 cannons from the ME 109's missed her [emoji52]

.303 cannons?  The cannons on a ME 109 were 20 millimetre. 

What an awful decision to make. My grandfather was captured and spent five years in a POW camp in Poland before being marched hundreds of miles in the middle of winter at the end of the war by the Nazis. Something I only found out thanks to some digging by a JKB member whose grandfather was in the same boat (excuse the pun). My old man never knew him - and as a result, neither did I - so I really want to see it and I'm going on Tuesday.

Saw it In Tuesday and thought it was excellent. Tone was spot on (none of the schamltz of Saving Private Ryan), good acting, beautifully shot and a great score. I can't imagine going through that in my twenties.

Nookie Bear

Perhaps if Ministers kept their traps shut and didn't cheapen history, then retorts as above wouldn't be made?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/647765/Armed-Forces-minister-Penny-Mordaunt-Dunkirk-spirit-EU-referendum-Brexit-Tory-MP

Private Eye lowered itself to the level of a Tory MP, which it is usually good at avoiding.

Still, it gets attention, so job done!

The film is visually stunning, and best viewed at the Imax.

As others have said it is different, but well done 

Slightly off topic but Governor Tarkin's seamanship would have resulted in nobody getting of the beach

He would have crashed into the Mole within the first few minutes  

He is the Cathro of the sea's

Budgie's Boyfriend

Anywhere in Edinburgh I can see it in it's iMax 70mm format?

Governor Tarkin

Perhaps if Ministers kept their traps shut and didn't cheapen history, then retorts as above wouldn't be made?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/647765/Armed-Forces-minister-Penny-Mordaunt-Dunkirk-spirit-EU-referendum-Brexit-Tory-MP

Hadn't seen that.

What a ridiculous and insulting statement to make.

The Private Eye cover makes more sense now, even if I'm not sure I like it.

Anywhere in Edinburgh I can see it in it's iMax 70mm format?

The Filmhouse - where I saw it - is the only cinema in Scotland showing it in 70mm. Think there's only a few in the uk that have IMAX 15/70mm and they're all down south. The BFI being one.

Budgie's Boyfriend

Just booked tickets for the iMax version at Cineworld Fountain park , ?32 for two !! . Has the Filmhouse got iMax screens Zico?

Saw it In Tuesday and thought it was excellent. Tone was spot on (none of the schamltz of Saving Private Ryan), good acting, beautifully shot and a great score. I can't imagine going through that in my twenties.

Nolans best film bar none. All his others despite often excellent were flawed, overrated, hampered by superhero subject matter or overblown to some extent.

That though is pretty much as good as that kind of filmmaking can get.

And the small break to Elgar at the end coupled with Churchills speech. F me Ol Blighty is pretty special.

Nolans best film bar none. All his others despite often excellent were flawed, overrated, hampered by superhero subject matter or overblown to some extent.

That though is pretty much as good as that kind of filmmaking can get.

And the small break to Elgar at the end coupled with Churchills speech. F me Ol Blighty is pretty special.

Now for me, Churchill and helmets on the beach as a close yes. Could see what he was doing with the Elgar and low sun, but felt a bit twee after what went before imo.

As mentioned before, the "hidden enemy" (save for those god awful Junker dive bombers) made for a hell of an atmosphere throughout.

Geoff the Mince

The film is visually stunning, and best viewed at the Imax.

As others have said it is different, but well done 

Slightly off topic but Governor Tarkin's seamanship would have resulted in nobody getting of the beach

He would have crashed into the Mole within the first few minutes  

He is the Cathro of the sea's

I concur .

Hadn't seen that.

What a ridiculous and insulting statement to make.

The Private Eye cover makes more sense now, even if I'm not sure I like it.

You are captain Cathro

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Space Mackerel

Found this amusing, perhaps should have posted on the Brexit thread...

20292752_1572560459421839_13543869280648

You can't post stuff like this, the usuals will be up in arms about any political satire on here [emoji52]

Alwayssunnyingorgie

Found this amusing, perhaps should have posted on the Brexit thread...

20292752_1572560459421839_13543869280648

:lol:

I seen that the other day, made me look through the magazine which is a pile of shite.

:lol:

I seen that the other day, made me look through the magazine which is a pile of shite.

Hahaha. That made me laugh!

Straight to the point!

John Findlay

I believe you get a medal like the Duke of Edinburgh gets for watching this. 1816876cf1901f0069a2091ff499d1bf.jpg

Hate to pass on yourequest parade. Old Phil partook in action at the battle of Matapan. Take your time when you Google it.

Alwayssunnyingorgie

Hate to pass on yourequest parade. Old Phil partook in action at the battle of Matapan. Take your time when you Google it.

He gets a medal everytime he gets out hospital.

John Findlay

He gets a medal everytime he gets out hospital.

He probably does. But he has actually earned one or two. He saw action in WWII.

Er, anyone well read on WWII would be aware of the bravery of the 51st.

Story is they used the 51st knowing they would lose. Politically better to sacrifice a Scots division than an English one in case public opinion regards the war wavered in middle England. As my English born mother told me once, "There'll always be an England, as long as there's a Scot to defend it.

As my English born mother told me once, "There'll always be an England, as long as there's a Scot to defend it.

Out of interest if there wasn't an England, because it fell to an enemy such as the one faced in the last century, where exactly would it leave us?  This kind of petty division rubs me up the wrong way, this island, in all it's parts, did what it had to do.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Story is they used the 51st knowing they would lose. Politically better to sacrifice a Scots division than an English one in case public opinion regards the war wavered in middle England. As my English born mother told me once, "There'll always be an England, as long as there's a Scot to defend it.

That's grown arms and legs over the years. As the article pointed out, the 51st were on the Maginot line when the German offensive began. If any unit was going to counter-attack, it was them. Whether they should have been ordered to is a different question.

Off topic but the Churchill movie starring Gary Oldman looked fantastic on the trailers before the film started Darkest Hour it was called.

http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/news/a28515/dunkirk-movie-review/

If you can read this and not think we are in fall of the Roman Empire stage then I commend your optimism.

I write this as more identity politics currently gives us BBC leading with a headline of the parents of a drug dealer who died swallowing his stash trying to flee police, urging fellow thugs to show 'restraint' and find it within themselves not to trash and riot for a third night.

We are not Dunkirk. Just done.

Seen it tonight.

Liked it a lot.

The sounds of the dive bombers was frightening.

And the quality of the movie was class.

Spitfires are almost poetic.

Im not so sure the film would be as good if not seen on imax(eyemax lol)

If i was still young id have my arms stretched out playing war planes.

Im not though and it did cross my mind that the horrors of bombs from the sky are still suffered .

And many are dropped in the name of democracy.

Out of interest if there wasn't an England, because it fell to an enemy such as the one faced in the last century, where exactly would it leave us?  This kind of petty division rubs me up the wrong way, this island, in all it's parts, did what it had to do.

I wasn't making a cheap shot, just commenting on the fragility of the U.K. At the time.

Archived