Scientology is also a problem

peter_hmfc

Watching Leah Remini's documentary with Mike Rinder (Louis Theroux's is also very good), frightening what some people will believe. To think there is people who will actively throw money at this is laughable.

I still can't believe it was given religious official status, it really is becoming open season for these sorts of things :lol: .

If you want a superb documentary on this, watch Alex Gibney's 'Going Clear'.

Absolute top drawer, as all his stuff is.

Watching Leah Remini's documentary with Mike Rinder (Louis Theroux's is also very good), frightening what some people will believe. To think there is people who will actively throw money at this is laughable.

I still can't believe it was given religious official status, it really is becoming open season for these sorts of things :lol: .

In the UK, that's still up for debate I think. As I understand it, Scientology Centres are legally recognised places of worship but as a religion itself, it's still not officially recognised.

At least I think that's how it works.

I read their secret booklet once. Including the latter chapters that you have to be high on the church to see. It's all crazy bonkers.

Hungry hippo

It is absolutely bonkers but then so are are all religions if you think about it so where do you draw the line? For example, George W Bush said God told him to invade Iraq. No-one even bats an eyelid that an imaginary friend apparently told the most powerful person in the world to kill people and he just went with it.

It's all nuts although Scientology is definitely the most creepy, exploitative and weird attempt at a religion.

Harry Potter

Got dragged off the street aged 19 up from the bridges, sat a test, left got shit from them for years.

bunch o knobs. 

Got dragged off the street aged 19 up from the bridges, sat a test, left got shit from them for years.

bunch o knobs. 

In a caravan?

Went in one night when I was reeking. Apparently I am deeply depressed and need their help.

Got a phone call few months later from them asking for me to play the bagpipes at one of their events. I got paid, then some how left the place having booked courses and 30 pound less than what I went in with.

When I got home I was like :wtf:

Still get letters from them to my parents house. They recognise me anytime I walk last their building as well.

L. Ron Hubbard was a successful sci-fi writer, but recognised that the easiest way to make a lot of money was to invent a religion, so he did.  Now the organisation is worth billions.

Scientology is a problem, especially to those who join it, or to those who criticise it.  They lost their tax-exempt status in the USA, but thousands of scientologists then filed lawsuits against the US government, grinding the Department of Justice to a halt.  The government surrendered, and tax-exempt status was returned.

All the money that members pay the "church" in auditing fees and training expenses are tax deductible, so other tax-payers in the USA are subsidising them.

Scientology is arguably the biggest scam of the 20th century. 

Archived