• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Kiwidoug

• kila

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People didn't realise how good Callum Paterson was until now.

Compare him to that shower of shi*e today shows he is a top top player.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Callum on 

Hope he tears the pitch up. Miss the big man immensely.

1 minute ago, King prawn said:

Livescore is one of the more unreliable sources when it comes to formations but is he playing left back? 

He has replaced their left back

The City twitter feed certainly mentions him as much as anyone else -- sounds like he came in and took the game by the horns.

4 minutes ago, KineticBeat said:

It's really all properly gone to shit since he blew his knee apart. 

We wouldn't have lost our last two games with CP in the team. Think i can say that with 99% confidence.

Not a go at Neilson but Paterson single handedly turned so many losses to draws and draws to wins for that team, it almost gave us a false position, if you know what i mean.

Have we ever missed a single player more after he left?

Contenders i guess are Robbo, Weir, Naysmith, McCann, Cameron, Gordon, Hartley, Pressley that i can think of.

All players we missed and who left gaps but did any of them carry the team as much CP did this one? Most of them left decentish teams.

Despite admittedly being a bit raw defensively, people who regularly called him shite on here is one of the most staggering things I had to read on a football forum. Easily the best RB we've had since the last century. 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Papers are saying he will be in the Scotland squad announced today for the Holland game. 

I hope for his sake he's not. He's only just back from a career-threatening injury so he needs handled with care until he's back up to 100% fitness. He'll be a regular in the team/squad for years to come so why ask him to play in a meaningless friendly.

1 minute ago, Musemic said:

I hope for his sake he's not. He's only just back from a career-threatening injury so he needs handled with care until he's back up to 100% fitness. He'll be a regular in the team/squad for years to come so why ask him to play in a meaningless friendly.

Probably just getting him back in squad

Acknowledging that it was only injury kept him out 

40 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Very good player and a big loss for us. None of our other kids have come close

Its funny too, even from afar I try to keep up with who's doing what at younger age groups but I don't remember being aware of him before McGlynn put him in the team, it seemed like he just came out of nowhere

Probably something I've already posted on this thread, but I am definitely one of the guilt ones who underestimated Callum's worth to the team. 

He wasn't great defensively, and that's what I based my opinion on, but when I look at what we have replaced him with there's no doubting the guy actually was a good defender as well as being an unbelievable attacking full back.

Huge miss to the team, but I wish him nothing but the best at Cardiff.

3 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Probably something I've already posted on this thread, but I am definitely one of the guilt ones who underestimated Callum's worth to the team. 

He wasn't great defensively, and that's what I based my opinion on, but when I look at what we have replaced him with there's no doubting the guy actually was a good defender as well as being an unbelievable attacking full back.

Huge miss to the team, but I wish him nothing but the best at Cardiff.

Me also, so much so that he takes the championship by storm, with Cardiff getting promoted and he exceeds the 10 million transfer fee that Andy Robertson generated .A 15% spin off to us would be nice.

I hope he gets that £80m transfer that Dick...Van Dyke thought he was getting to Liverpool

I reckon we might be able to start sorting out our mess with the proceeds!

Cardiff fans seem to rate him highly already.

Noticed one of them calling for him to be played as a winger or striker.  Nothing we haven't already tried before lads :lol:

3 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Cardiff fans seem to rate him highly already.

Noticed one of them calling for him to be played as a winger or striker.  Nothing we haven't already tried before lads :lol:

Cardiff fans are looking at areas in the team they think are weak

Ironically right back is seen as already strong

Pleasing to see him finally playing in a 3-4-3.  My biggest complaint with Neilson's tactics is that he never tried that when we had CP in the team. A back line of Rossi, Souttar, and Ozturk with Rherras and CP as wingbacks with Kitchen and Djoum in the middle would have been a great base. (We still would haven needed new strikers, but imagine we had that backline and midfield now with Lafferty and Isma in the team?)

N Lincs Jambo
3 hours ago, Musemic said:

Possibly being a bit over-cynical here but if Malky Mackay is picking the squad, let's just say he has history with Cardiff....

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Cardiff fans are looking at areas in the team they think are weak

Ironically right back is seen as already strong

They're lucky, because he has the ability to drop in anywhere, and also has the right attitude - I don't ever remember him complaining about being put up top, he just got on with it!

If we had 11 players with the same drive as Callum, we'd be unbeatable!

I'd have zero qualms about starting Paterson up front if we still had him. He could play in goals for all I care.

Said it numerous times on here before, i miss this guy a lot. 

He actually cares when he plays. Hope he has a hugely successful career. 

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
2 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Pleasing to see him finally playing in a 3-4-3.  My biggest complaint with Neilson's tactics is that he never tried that when we had CP in the team. A back line of Rossi, Souttar, and Ozturk with Rherras and CP as wingbacks with Kitchen and Djoum in the middle would have been a great base. (We still would haven needed new strikers, but imagine we had that backline and midfield now with Lafferty and Isma in the team?)

Ask the numpties in charge why this isn’t the case. I’d seriously like to get a cost analysis of just how much money we’ve wasted on absolute tripe when we could have retained these players. When it is spelled out clearly to Budge hopefully she realises how much of a scandal it is and that an apology or at least an explanation is in order for the poor scouting system.

Guest Paul Allen

Apologies, not adding anything knew to the thread, just wanted to post that I've seen Cardiff a couple of times this season and they look like an impressive side who'll definitely be pushing for automatic promotion. I think they play 3-5-2 and I figured Paterson would have a big job dislodging the athletic-looking Peltier from the right wing-back position, but their left back Bennett went off injured against Millwall at the weekend so Peltier moved over to the left and Calum came on to play on his natural right back position. He floated in an inch perfect cross to Hoilett at the back post in the first half, went close with a trademark towering header in the second half, and went close with a left-foot snapshot near the end. The only other thing I noticed was his hair is going quite grey (unless my eyes were deceiving me) for a guy his age haha! Still an HMFC hero and great to see him back in action. ?

letsalldothebeattie

Great to see Callum back in first team football. Was very surprised to hear he came on so early at the weekend but not surprised to see him have such a good game as well. Delighted he’s back in the Scotland squad and hopefully Mackay will end the stupidity of playing a left back at right back and stick Paterson back in 

12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Callum's first Cardiff start tonight

Home to Ipswich

Any links? Looks like it's not online due to Champions League games.

15 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Wonder if Callum every thought he'd be in the same team as Sol Bamba!

Paterson would have been in primary school when Bamba made his debut 

On 30/10/2017 at 17:25, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Ask the numpties in charge why this isn’t the case. I’d seriously like to get a cost analysis of just how much money we’ve wasted on absolute tripe when we could have retained these players. When it is spelled out clearly to Budge hopefully she realises how much of a scandal it is and that an apology or at least an explanation is in order for the poor scouting system.

Fair point, we’ve wasted a lot of money that would have been better spent retaining the likes of Paterson and Nicholson.

22 minutes ago, dav1e said:

Am I right in thinking he wasn't a product of our youth academy.?

He signed for Hearts U17's from Tynecastle Colts (un-related) in 2010. So was at Hearts for 7 years, working up from U17's to first team. 

So I'd say he was a product of the academy. 

5 hours ago, Pilmuir said:

Fair point, we’ve wasted a lot of money that would have been better spent retaining the likes of Paterson and Nicholson.

It's not a fair point at all.  I don't think money was the obstacle in either case.  CP made it crystal clear that he wanted to move to England and would not be signing on again.  I'm reasonably sure the situation was similar with Nicholson.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

It's not a fair point at all.  I don't think money was the obstacle in either case.  CP made it crystal clear that he wanted to move to England and would not be signing on again.  I'm reasonably sure the situation was similar with Nicholson.

IIRC CP also negotiated a sell-on clause for us, despite him having no obligation to do so.

So if he gets a big money move we get a nice payday, basically entirely due to his sense of loyalty and gratitude to HMFC.

PHM in the extreme.

With the silly money in England, if he makes a real go of it in Cardiff he could become a £15m player and we would score a decent chunk of that.

Not saying it will happen but you never know.