Paterson at Cardiff ( merged )

kila

1 minute ago, Deek said:

Penned by Sheffield Wednesday fans we should add. But the nickname has stood.

Didn't know that.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Kiwidoug

• kila

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Working on a set of pads for Callum right now .... our artist came up with a little nod to some of his recent goal celebrations lol 

Callum Fortnite.jpg

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/big-interview-callum-paterson-on-wales-winning-and-warnock-1-4710354

Big interview: Callum Paterson on Wales, winning and Warnock

Describing himself as a “punt-and-run kind of guy”, Callum Paterson seems suited to Neil Warnock’s old-school management style.

The Yorkshireman is threatening to drive the Cardiff City juggernaut all the way into England’s Premier League using traditional methods, and Paterson is loving the ride in his first season down south.

He left Hearts last May on freedom of contract despite being months away from fitness. An anterior cruciate ligament injury sidelined him for ten months in total, but he has recovered and reinvented himself in the Welsh capital.

Playing as an attacking midfielder in the No.10 role, the 23-year-old is a key component of Warnock’s athletic and industrious Cardiff team. That will read strangely for Tynecastle regulars used to seeing him at right-back, but then he did have spells at centre-forward and on the wing with Hearts. There was even an emergency appearance at centre-half.

His enthusiasm typifies Warnock’s side as they maintain an unexpected promotion tilt. Sitting second in the English Championship, they are seven points clear of Fulham and Aston Villa in joint third. Paterson’s eight goals, including three in his last three games, have played a part as the holy grail of British football beckons.

Interest from West Ham United hinted at a straight jump for the player from Scotland’s top league in December 2016. Then injury struck, obliterating any chance of a move in the January transfer window. However, he has taken warmly to Wales, Warnock and winning.

“Like you say, he’s old school,” Paterson said of his manager. “All the other teams around us are playing the new-style football with wing-backs and pass-and-move. But the old school seems to be working at the moment so he’s not going to change that any time soon.

“It’s going well for me at the moment but everyone knows the Championship is a funny old league and anything can happen. We’ve got to be positive and look to go up.

“The Championship is a massive league. It is tough to play there week in, week out. I didn’t get much of a sniff at the start. The team was doing well and I was just coming back from injury. I have shoehorned my way into a position that I am doing well in and I want to try and keep hold of that. The team is doing well at the minute. It is good to be part of it.”

His goal celebrations are surely worthy of a grander platform. Cardiff fans have grown fond of Paterson’s antics after hitting the net as he comes up with different quirky ways of celebrating each strike. “They are going down really well, actually,” he smiled. “My mum sent me a text saying : ‘Keep the celebrations going son!’ I play a game on the PS4. That gives me ideas for my celebrations. I am just trying to rattle them off.”

Warnock will also favour the light-hearted approach. The manager has jokingly questioned Paterson’s ability to defend and even his dress sense.

“I had my kilt on and he wasn’t happy! I’m just happy to have a smile on my face. It doesn’t matter what I wear at the end of the day. It’s nice to know that he’s thinking about me and talking about me. I’m not a material guy. I’m delighted just to be there.”

Likewise the Scotland squad. Paterson arrived back in Edinburgh this week hoping for his sixth and seventh full caps in friendlies against Costa Rica tomorrow and Hungary on Tuesday. His last international appearance was against England at Wembley back in November 2016.

“He [Warnock] is obviously happy enough for me to get involved with the national team. It reflects well on him and how Cardiff are doing as a team. He is more than happy to get the boys away and get some time with the national team.”

It is just reward for Paterson’s persistence during that enforced ten-month absence. He was two weeks away from a life-changing transfer when he suffered a devastating ACL injury two days after Christmas. The stress bore heavily on him, his relatives and even family pets.

“Everything happens for a reason,” said the player. “I have said that in the past. Things can go well at other parts of the season. I am doing really well at the moment. I am happy to be part of Cardiff and happy to be back in the national fold and back playing. It keeps my mind positive and everything else positive.

“It shows that I’m strong-minded and am always positive. Even when I was injured I was always positive. I had a smile on my face and I just got on with it. You play the hand you’ve been dealt. I am happy to back playing and back doing well.

“Right away when I did the injury, that was a low point. Everyone knows a cruciate is nine months to a year. I only had six months left on my contract. It wasn’t a good situation for me, my girlfriend, my family. Even my cat was stressed! I’m kidding. My cat is a good guy. Like I said, you’ve got to be positive. Everything happens for a reason. It wasn’t meant to be.”

It is only natural to wonder how exactly a cat would demonstrate stress. “He tells me. He talks to me,” smirked Paterson. “I am a dog person. My missus likes cats. She tells me it’s stressed.”

Perhaps the tension made the Scot forget which big English clubs were circling Tynecastle at the time. Or perhaps he deliberatley blanked the information out. “I’m not sure. I think it was West Ham. There was a bit of paper stuff, but nothing was set in stone. Thankfully, Neil took a chance on me and I have repaid him for that.”

The next, arguably final, phase of Paterson’s rehabilitation is to repay Alex McLeish for naming him in his first Scotland squad. If that happens to involve a return to right-back, so be it.

Left-back Kieran Tierney has filled in there for Scotland but Paterson is the obvious choice to play the position long-term. McLeish stated he intends to use the Celtic defender on the left.

“Kieran did well there. Obviously it’s not his natural position. If he’s not playing in that position it leaves an opportunity for me. Some of the young boys who have come in are playing in the English Premier League and it’s great to have them as a country. That’s a positive for us. We’ve just got to get off on the right foot.”

Paterson should be able to help on that front given his instant impact with Cardiff.

22 hours ago, Jamos said:

Working on a set of pads for Callum right now .... our artist came up with a little nod to some of his recent goal celebrations lol 

Callum Fortnite.jpg

Is that PUBG on the right hand side?

Boooo!! Hiss!!! :lol: 

PhoenixHearts
1 hour ago, kila said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/big-interview-callum-paterson-on-wales-winning-and-warnock-1-4710354

Left-back Kieran Tierney has filled in there for Scotland but Paterson is the obvious choice to play the position long-term. McLeish stated he intends to use the Celtic defender on the left.

Excuse me? Andy Robertson?

Only one of Tierney and Robertson is starting and playing consistently at the highest level. No Celtic player should ever be starting over a Liverpool player. Not these days.

As good as Tierney may be, no current Celtic player has tested themselves at this level. We're led to believe that because they play in the Champions league, they're at a high level and their players are elite? They piss a diddy league year in year out. It's the same as saying Maribor is the top level of football. They may be winners in their domestic top-flight, but there's a gulf between that and a top 10 Premier League side. 

In keeping with that, Scott Brown, having stayed at Celtic, he has never played at the highest level (nor should he have. He's never been good enough). Perhaps why Scotland have been so bad. Filled with average players on average teams.

This is dead cynical and a bit shit for the Scottish game, and I hate to admit it, but our league just isn't up to scratch. That includes Celtic. Filling the national team with SPFL players would be a great idea in another world were we had a competitive league, but we don't.

Unfortunate maybe, but we'll only be relevant on the international stage once more if we can have a Scotland starting 11 with at least 5 or 6 players from Premier League teams, mid table upwards (West Brom caliber obviously doesn't count).

Can we augment that squad with great standout players in our league, either hardy experienced veterans like Berra or promising young players with future beyond SPFL like Tierney? Absolutely.... But the core of the squad needs to be coming from top teams in top leagues.

Robertson and McTominay, with the likes of Livepool and Man U is a start. Then he only problem we face is players going from coaches like Klopp down to McLeish, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Hopefully when Cardiff go up, Paterson can keep doing his thing and a bigger club will take interest. And if that's from central midfield, well, that'll keep big-arse banjo far out the way on the periphery of the Scotland team. Happy days.

(Move this to a more appropriate thread if it's more suitable. Maybe a Scotland Squad discussion)

Perth to Paisley

As long as we get 15% (his wish) of a mega transfer ..... that's my principal issue.

Lad has worked hard to get where he is without having bucket loads of natural ability; in the purest sense.

Good luck to him and his! 

sairyinthat
2 hours ago, kila said:

Big interview: Callum Paterson on Wales, winning and Warnock

Describing himself as a “punt-and-run kind of guy”, Callum Paterson seems suited to Neil Warnock’s old-school management style.

The Yorkshireman is threatening to drive the Cardiff City juggernaut all the way into England’s Premier League using traditional methods, and Paterson is loving the ride in his first season down south.

He left Hearts last May on freedom of contract despite being months away from fitness. An anterior cruciate ligament injury sidelined him for ten months in total, but he has recovered and reinvented himself in the Welsh capital.

Playing as an attacking midfielder in the No.10 role, the 23-year-old is a key component of Warnock’s athletic and industrious Cardiff team. That will read strangely for Tynecastle regulars used to seeing him at right-back, but then he did have spells at centre-forward and on the wing with Hearts. There was even an emergency appearance at centre-half.

His enthusiasm typifies Warnock’s side as they maintain an unexpected promotion tilt. Sitting second in the English Championship, they are seven points clear of Fulham and Aston Villa in joint third. Paterson’s eight goals, including three in his last three games, have played a part as the holy grail of British football beckons.

Interest from West Ham United hinted at a straight jump for the player from Scotland’s top league in December 2016. Then injury struck, obliterating any chance of a move in the January transfer window. However, he has taken warmly to Wales, Warnock and winning.

“Like you say, he’s old school,” Paterson said of his manager. “All the other teams around us are playing the new-style football with wing-backs and pass-and-move. But the old school seems to be working at the moment so he’s not going to change that any time soon.

“It’s going well for me at the moment but everyone knows the Championship is a funny old league and anything can happen. We’ve got to be positive and look to go up.

“The Championship is a massive league. It is tough to play there week in, week out. I didn’t get much of a sniff at the start. The team was doing well and I was just coming back from injury. I have shoehorned my way into a position that I am doing well in and I want to try and keep hold of that. The team is doing well at the minute. It is good to be part of it.”

His goal celebrations are surely worthy of a grander platform. Cardiff fans have grown fond of Paterson’s antics after hitting the net as he comes up with different quirky ways of celebrating each strike. “They are going down really well, actually,” he smiled. “My mum sent me a text saying : ‘Keep the celebrations going son!’ I play a game on the PS4. That gives me ideas for my celebrations. I am just trying to rattle them off.”

Warnock will also favour the light-hearted approach. The manager has jokingly questioned Paterson’s ability to defend and even his dress sense.

“I had my kilt on and he wasn’t happy! I’m just happy to have a smile on my face. It doesn’t matter what I wear at the end of the day. It’s nice to know that he’s thinking about me and talking about me. I’m not a material guy. I’m delighted just to be there.”

Likewise the Scotland squad. Paterson arrived back in Edinburgh this week hoping for his sixth and seventh full caps in friendlies against Costa Rica tomorrow and Hungary on Tuesday. His last international appearance was against England at Wembley back in November 2016.

“He [Warnock] is obviously happy enough for me to get involved with the national team. It reflects well on him and how Cardiff are doing as a team. He is more than happy to get the boys away and get some time with the national team.”

It is just reward for Paterson’s persistence during that enforced ten-month absence. He was two weeks away from a life-changing transfer when he suffered a devastating ACL injury two days after Christmas. The stress bore heavily on him, his relatives and even family pets.

“Everything happens for a reason,” said the player. “I have said that in the past. Things can go well at other parts of the season. I am doing really well at the moment. I am happy to be part of Cardiff and happy to be back in the national fold and back playing. It keeps my mind positive and everything else positive.

“It shows that I’m strong-minded and am always positive. Even when I was injured I was always positive. I had a smile on my face and I just got on with it. You play the hand you’ve been dealt. I am happy to back playing and back doing well.

“Right away when I did the injury, that was a low point. Everyone knows a cruciate is nine months to a year. I only had six months left on my contract. It wasn’t a good situation for me, my girlfriend, my family. Even my cat was stressed! I’m kidding. My cat is a good guy. Like I said, you’ve got to be positive. Everything happens for a reason. It wasn’t meant to be.”

It is only natural to wonder how exactly a cat would demonstrate stress. “He tells me. He talks to me,” smirked Paterson. “I am a dog person. My missus likes cats. She tells me it’s stressed.”

Perhaps the tension made the Scot forget which big English clubs were circling Tynecastle at the time. Or perhaps he deliberatley blanked the information out. “I’m not sure. I think it was West Ham. There was a bit of paper stuff, but nothing was set in stone. Thankfully, Neil took a chance on me and I have repaid him for that.”

The next, arguably final, phase of Paterson’s rehabilitation is to repay Alex McLeish for naming him in his first Scotland squad. If that happens to involve a return to right-back, so be it.

“Kieran did well there. Obviously it’s not his natural position. If he’s not playing in that position it leaves an opportunity for me. Some of the young boys who have come in are playing in the English Premier League and it’s great to have them as a country. That’s a positive for us. We’ve just got to get off on the right foot.”

Paterson should be able to help on that front given his instant impact with Cardiff.

West Ham missed the boat big time,they would most likely have a few more points than they have and a few less defeats.Shows how a lack of courage can impact on you.

On 3/19/2018 at 17:59, Mikey1874 said:

At training with Scotland today at Oriam

IMG_20180319_175143.jpg

Nasty leg injury, looks like gangrene is setting in.

• 2 weeks later...

He has the potential to go right to the top. Unbelievable how unappreciated he was by some of our fans during his time here.

Fozzyonthefence

Should make double figures in well under a full season but shouldn’t be a surprise really. That one looked offside though?

Tommy Brown

It's going to be a fantastic watch seeing how CPs career goes from here.

The guy is not an accomplished player, but he has the x-factor.

He knows where to be when your team attacks on goal.

Do I want him to RB for Scotland, no!, I don't think he is good enough at that position. He will never be top dollar teams, but direct systems will want him.

On 02/12/2017 at 10:41, DETTY29 said:

2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Should make double figures in well under a full season but shouldn’t be a surprise really. That one looked offside though?

I thought it looked offside as well but I checked it and he was definitely onside. Good luck to him, hopefully his goals contribution will see him move to a relegation threatened EPL club next January with a nice 15% for us.  

sairyinthat
30 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

I thought it looked offside as well but I checked it and he was definitely onside. Good luck to him, hopefully his goals contribution will see him move to a relegation threatened EPL club next January with a nice 15% for us.  

Don't know about next season,but is a proven asset who will definitely be sought after,and when he is I hope it is a bun fight involving the big guns he is earning that.

John mcCartney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMCXJxw8pUk

love the first one on there, he done just the other week
hes a  great character ,no doubt about it.......hes goin somewhere after a great stint at the bluebirds,
might kick on from there or not.even if he eventually drifts back towards the championship i reckon he`l serve out a solid career
sorting hmfc out for a bit of dough as well,top lad

niblick1874

Good spot Canadianjambo

Truth be told, I am not surprised he turned out the way he did, mischievous, not so little, tyke (in a good way). Had to take my beer to the pisser with me. :laugh:

On a side note.

Us Canadians sneaked off to the pub for a couple in between games and when we got back the parents found out where we had been. They were pissed off at us for not telling them and taking them with us so we had to take them to a pub for a beer. Turned out to be quite the excursion. :laugh: Good laugh, Good times.

Bazzas right boot

Kind of player arsenal could do with from the bench.

Big, strong, determined, fizzicul, direct, versatile. 

Something different when their plan A goes to shit.

Gordon_1874

Really believe that he has the potential to go to the top, terrific athlete and looks really motivated, the perfect role model for the likes of Cochrane,McDonald etc

Gavsy Van Gaverson
36 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Kind of player arsenal could do with from the bench.

Big, strong, determined, fizzicul, direct, versatile. 

Something different when their plan A goes to shit.

As great as that would be he’ll end up nowhere near as good a team as Arsenal. 

Could easily fit in to any bottom half EPL team though.

LarrysRightFoot
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Best solution for us if Cardiff miss out on promotion and a bottom-half EPL club buy him for £10m in the summer. 

Would it not be better if they went up, he scored 15 PL goals then got sold to a top 6 or 8 side for £25m?

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Would it not be better if they went up, he scored 15 PL goals then got sold to a top 6 or 8 side for £25m?

Yes, but no danger he’ll score 15 PL goals for Cardiff - they’ll be lucky if they get that as a whole team!

LarrysRightFoot
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yes, but no danger he’ll score 15 PL goals for Cardiff - they’ll be lucky if they get that as a whole team!

That’s true but your scenario was hardly best case

8 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

That’s true but your scenario was hardly best case

To be honest he’s probably the most likely to score goals in their team no the prem . They have a direct type of football and he’s always in the mix. Their better players will struggle at the next level as their skills won’t be stand outs but his physicality(and willpower) will still at least match up and that’s how he scores goals. I didn’t catch all the Cardiff man city game but the 70% I saw he didn’t lose a header- including 2 or 3 against kompany. Didn’t he nearly score a header or something too?

sairyinthat
3 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

A freescoring midfielder built like a brick shithouse with a great attitude young/ athletic/first season in English football,great attitude for the game.If Cardiff stay in that league should they gain promotion they will resist selling him.But if they do keep clear or you will get trampled in the rush.

5 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

If Cardiff go up they are unlikely to score 15 league goals in the entire season. He will be playing in a team that loses most weeks. 

LarrysRightFoot
21 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

If Cardiff go up they are unlikely to score 15 league goals in the entire season. He will be playing in a team that loses most weeks. 

You havent read my follow up 

Giant week coming up.  Sheffield United away and Wolves at home.  Two wins and promotion in the bag.

Do the business again Callum.  Cheer me up.

It's hard work being a Jambo these days.  Our only consolation is we're not cabbages or o. f.

alwaysthereinspirit
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:33, soonbe110 said:

Has any team promoted to the Premier league not scored at least 15 goals. I don't know the answer so I'm asking. Seems hard to believe.

Was in Cardiff at the weekend for the boxing and spoke to a few guys about him, most reckon he won’t be there for long! One of their best players already! 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Has any team promoted to the Premier league not scored at least 15 goals. I don't know the answer so I'm asking. Seems hard to believe.

Last seasons lowest scorers were boro with 27, villa scored the same the year before

alwaysthereinspirit
12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Last seasons lowest scorers were boro with 27, villa scored the same the year before

I figured 15 was a little low. No matter how poor a team might be. They'll improve their squad by buying a couple of big names. They all do. Its impossible not to. Fans expect it. Especially when the season ticket prices come in. I hope they go up and he does great. He's worked his @$$ off this calendar year.

1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

the lowest scorers are derby in 07-08 with 20 goals

alwaysthereinspirit
21 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the lowest scorers are derby in 07-08 with 20 goals

Thanks. And we think we've had a long $#itty season.

Fozzyonthefence

I’ve seen Cardiff quite a few times this seasons and can’t believe they’re 2nd top in that league. Look a really poor side and love hoofball. 

1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Records are made to be broken. Has any team as bad as Cardiff, with Neil W in charge, ever been promoted to the EPL. I doubt it. 

Fozzyonthefence

Wow, totally undeserved Cardiff equaliser. And typical Cardiff goal after a spell of head tennis.