Nicholson leaving - deal with Minnesota close to completion

Romulus

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vegas-voss

He ain't that good.If he can get himself a great deal at a MLS club then fair play to him.Shit for Hearts but to say it's shit for his career is wrong he might make a success of it over there love the life and stay there his whole career that's got to be better than hanging about Scotland or the lower regions of the English leagues.

Harry Potter

I blame that linesman for telling tales on him spitting, wish him well , seems a good deal for him.

As for compo, surely something in writing.

I can't stand him supposed to be a Hearts fan never tried a leg for us apart from the championship season were I thought he was going places.

Underwhelming footballer well rid IMO.

Agreed.

Standard must be really low in that league.

On another thread there are people calling a Hearts legend who got us a ?9 million transfer fee a snake.

If Craig Gordon is a snake what does that make Nicholson ?

Where's that poster with snake giffs ?

siegementality

If Nicholson was the standard of player that was a regular starter for us next season I would be disappointed. We need better than him to be anywhere near a challenge.

As for missing out on any compo, theres a reason for that, nobody thinks he's worth the 400k development fee.

The biggest sign of immaturity is not in Sam but in the majority of comments on the thread. For Sam playing football is a job and he will go to the club that seems the most attractive to him. As for the clowns who deride Jaimie, they clearly know nothing about football skill, their comments are likely to drive the last real talent we have away. Like the support, Jaimies moral is rock bottom after a disgraceful end to the season- blame the guys who got us in that position instead of the players.

But no we still get the apologists for IC because he's young, full of modern ideas and can work a keyboard. So can any 10 year old!

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Agreed.

On another thread there are people calling a Hearts legend who got us a ?9 million transfer fee a snake.

I imagine it's because celtic aren't involved.

Good move for him and I hope he does well out there. Good servant to Hearts who more than contributed over the years.

Gutting we won't get compo for him but can't deny the lad this opportunity.

That said, he is entirely replaceable and we can do better than him.

siegementality

The biggest sign of immaturity is not in Sam but in the majority of comments on the thread. For Sam playing football is a job and he will go to the club that seems the most attractive to him. As for the clowns who deride Jaimie, they clearly know nothing about football skill, their comments are likely to drive the last real talent we have away. Like the support, Jaimies moral is rock bottom after a disgraceful end to the season- blame the guys who got us in that position instead of the players.

But no we still get the apologists for IC because he's young, full of modern ideas and can work a keyboard. So can any 10 year old!

A bit immature to deride the Head Coach with silly comments. Practice what you preach is always a good bet.

bauld willie

Been with us a long time so just don't get the hate here.

Good luck to him.

What bothers me is the compensation thing. What is the point of us bringing through any youngsters if there is a path through it without anyone paying.

He's only going there so rangers don't pay us anything, he's hardly doing something different more like he's having 6 months holiday and coming back to the same old.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That may well transpire to be the case. I wouldn't be overly concerned by it though. It's patently clear he isn't good enough. His attitude is rancid.

Hopefully the move would allow him to mature as a person. He certainly needs to mature

jambos are go!

No time for transfer or development fees outwith contracted obligations. Exploitation of Labour that should be outlawed.

Hard to see why he'd show any loyalty to fans who talk about him the way this place does our who boo him on to the park.

I liked him, he's still got a lot of things to learn and he's not string enough yet but he's got excellent ability and was an exciting player. Was having a good season up till his injury but was not great after it.

Shame we'll get nothing but that's football sometimes. He has to make a decision for his own career

I imagine it's because celtic aren't involved.

Agreed!

That thread certainly outed the diet Hun element in our support.

Back on topic we would never have got the development fee for Olive Oil anyway and there is no way we could or wanted to match the offer he has from USA.

If Nicholson was the standard of player that was a regular starter for us next season I would be disappointed. We need better than him to be anywhere near a challenge.

As for missing out on any compo, theres a reason for that, nobody thinks he's worth the 400k development fee.

Complete agreement

Said for a while now that his options were extremely narrow due to a development fee exceeding his true worth

A_A wehatethehibs

He obviously knows he isn't going to reach the top. The MLS is a good option for him, if he can perform there is good money up for grabs. A shame he doesn't give a toss about Hearts but that's modern football for you - sad.

I think its a great move for him. Good chance for a young-ish lad to live in a new country and make some money. 

I like Nicholson, but he's not all that. I also would be surprised if he found himself at bigger club then Hearts. 

3fingersreid

On his game one of the few players that could get you out of your seat with anticipation of what he was doing , sadly being a winger there was always inconsistency .

Always find it a bit sad when one of " our own" leave especially with a few less than complimentary comments thrown his way but that's part and parcel of football.

Good luck wherever you go Sam ( except Glasgow ) and thanks for helping us back up .

For anyone saying not getting a fee is bad management. Does anyone think his performances since the championship season have merited an improved deal? Would you be happy for the club to pay ?400k to sign a player of his standard to come to us?

Livvyjambo

For anyone saying not getting a fee is bad management. Does anyone think his performances since the championship season have merited an improved deal? Would you be happy for the club to pay ?400k to sign a player of his standard to come to us?

Why we asking for that kind of money then?

Nookie Bear

Genuine question - can you write a summary of what you would have done after the Championship season?

Why should I?

I could write down the league table, the squad list, the form since Cathro took over to prove we have made a series of very poor decisions.

But I can see you are intent on stoking the hatred towards Nicholson, a talented footballer who probably needs a new challenge and has taken the opportunity ply his trade in the States. Good luck to him.

ford donald

Agreed.

:spoton:

LogicalEric

The highest paid player at Minnesota is on $550,000 a year. I doubt very much Sam Nicholson will be seen as anywhere near that bracket.

Barnsley 9k a week? You're at it! Sam Winnall went to Sheff Wed to treble his wages to ?18k a week and he was their highest earner. There is no danger that Nicholson would get offered anywhere near that.

Agreed.

Why do either have to be anything?

Bizarre!

We'll cope without a development fee. It's swings and roundabouts. We all thought we'd get big money for the likes of Paterson, McGhee etc. But we also sign players for peanuts too.

Agree it's an unsatisfactory system. In the end Nicholson didn't quite deliver.

I don't get all the derogitory comments against players, the vast majority of whom all try their best for the club. How would you lilke it if you recieved such public comments, which are only opinions, about you doing your job and you developing your career.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1072275/sam-nicholson-hearts-minnesota-united/

If this does come off for Sam Nicholson, I wish him all the best in the USA and thank him for his contributions to our club.

Strachsuit

Meh. Not a great miss, shame we aren't getting compo but the ?400k fee would put off vast majority of UK clubs anyway and we would've ended up negotiating downwards. 

Elias Henry Furst

Good luck to the boy.

Unfortunately he hasn't kicked on as everyone thought he would.

That's football.

Good luck to the boy.

Unfortunately he hasn't kicked on as everyone thought he would.

That's football.

There is a chance getting away from Hearts will be good for him and his career.

Wonder if there can be a 'comfort zone' at your childhood club.

Livvyjambo

Meh. Not a great miss, shame we aren't getting compo but the ?400k fee would put off vast majority of UK clubs anyway and we would've ended up negotiating downwards.

Why did we not do it ?

I suspect we will now and take an offer more realistic from down south

Sam is going over to the states to hear what's on offer. Won't be making any decisions before that.

He will be back at Rangers in 6 months , guaranteed. Hearts should never deal with his agent again . Anyone who thinks this is a career move and not a scam to avoid a development fee us naive .

He's only going there so rangers don't pay us anything, he's hardly doing something different more like he's having 6 months holiday and coming back to the same old.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If he does that then he IS a wee shite!!!

Strachsuit

Why did we not do it ?

I suspect we will now and take an offer more realistic from down south

Not do what? We aren't due dev fee if he chooses to go to US, there's nothing we can do about that. It's up to Sam where he goes, not the club. 

In time we'll look back and remember the wee laddie that we developed into a slightly bigger wee laddie. Did he ever give us value for money?

If we had the courage of our convictions we would probably have binned both him and Jamie ages ago but no-one wanted to admit that our "youth development policy" was a failure. Exactly who, over the years, was charged with it's success? There is a name somewhere in the back of my mind but it's probably too mean to point fingers.

our youth policy is a failure now can't believe some fans have let levein pull the wool over their eyes with 8 academy players from the same age level never seen that happening before an absolute smokescreen to cover the shit job levein has done

Livvyjambo

Not do what? We aren't due dev fee if he chooses to go to US, there's nothing we can do about that. It's up to Sam where he goes, not the club.

Why not negotiate , why have the price so high ? Surely 200k is better than nothing

our youth policy is a failure now can't believe some fans have let levein pull the wool over their eyes with 8 academy players from the same age level never seen that happening before an absolute smokescreen to cover the shit job levein has done

You're back!!!

Hope you're chilling and enjoying the weather.

Chris Hamilton is a top prospect. 16 in a couple of months. Too early to play as can't play professional at 15. Marc Leonard too. Chris was down looking at clubs in England and we think Celtic were interested. He chose Hearts.

Euan Henderson who is 17 in summer got a chance in last game. Exciting player. Could get a chance next season.

Generally those of us who have seen them think it's another 2 or 3 years before these youngsters will start to push for first team squad. But you never know.

These are real, genuine players developed over several years. Their potential been identified at least 2 years ago. Anthony MacDonald came on a sub in 2016 Youth Cup final aged 14.

No one is pulling a fast one here. It's a genuine positive development several years in the making. People in the know think the next younger age groups could be even better.

And he isn't!

Why not negotiate , why have the price so high ? Surely 200k is better than nothing

i suspect no club has offered us anything for Sam. Who would be willing to pay money for him? Not even a first pick at Hearts. That's why he is heading to Minnesota. Unless as others have said it's all part of a game for Rangers or Aberdeen to avoid the Dev fee.

Livvyjambo

i suspect no club has offered us anything for Sam. Who would be willing to pay money for him? Not even a first pick at Hearts. That's why he is heading to Minnesota. Unless as others have said it's all part of a game for Rangers or Aberdeen to avoid the Dev fee.

I suspect we have had offers but the asking price is too high so this option comes up . Therefore we end up with nothing .

Hope he's doing a 'mcginn' and we accept a lower offer from down south

Bluesy1874

Having spoke to someone quite close to Sam. We offered him an extension on his contract. It was'nt the amount of money per week he was expecting to be offered. I Never asked about the figures. He wasn't overly happy about the January signings being offered more in wages

He turned it down due to this and also due to having better options available to him. It's not set in stone that he will go to America, It depends on whether his girlfriend wants to go.

However in my opinion over the last season I am not sure his performances have actually merited a new contract he is quite one dimentional in the way he always cuts inside and teams know how to defend against him

siegementality

Yes he is particularly financially with the stand and squad rebuild just now .

No, the compensation is a big loss, Nicholson is not.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I think it's safe to dub him Nicholhibs now. Hope Minneapolis has a George Street equivalent.

There is a chance getting away from Hearts will be good for him and his career.

Wonder if there can be a 'comfort zone' at your childhood club.

You just need to look at Soapy.

Good luck Sam, thanks for the derby goals in particular.

AlphonseCapone

The fact most folk are more upset about no compo than actually losing him as a player sums it up.

Archived