Nicholson leaving - deal with Minnesota close to completion

Romulus

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flew out today. Mega bucks deal.

Great news financially for him but bad news financially for the club. Wish him all the best but disappointed it isn't a parting of the ways that suits both parties.

Let's be absolutely honest, who would have paid the compensation for Nicholson?

No compo is shameful mismanagement.

Player choice

He's made a choice that guarantees we get nothing

Nothing to do with management

kingantti1874

No its not for God sake.. You cant force him to sign..

He's been with the club since he was around 12 years old I think. Losing him for no compo at all is a sore one. [emoji19]

Armageddon

Player choice

Ha ha so he has a choice of ?9k per week at Barnsley and we get compo, or ?16k per week in the States with a free house and car and we get nothing.

What would you advise your son to do?

Gorgie_Rules

What is the ruling as to why we won't get compensation?

As mentioned, going by his performances the past two seasons we wouldn't get anywhere near the required fee but to lose him for hee haw is disappointing.

Half time pie

Only cart horses go to the US for the wrap up of careers. Bad move for a young lad showing potential. ?? in his eyes but may be short lived.

i wish jj was my dad

Player choice

Correct. I don't blame footballers for looking after their future but this after the spitting incident hardly paints the laddie in a good light.

Difficult to blame the club

BlackhallJambo

Average player in chasing money shocker. Well rid

Futurejambo1

MLS getting bigger and more attractive for players. Only time will tell if this is the right move for Sam. Does look like he will be well paid and will be looked after. Hope it all works out for him.

And watch him come back to rangers but the end of the season thus avoiding any compensation!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

How is that "shameful mismanagement"?

Its completely his choice under freedom of contract. Nothing the Club could do about it. 

Forza Cuore

Ha ha so he has a choice of ?9k per week at Barnsley and we get compo, or ?16k per week in the States with a free house and car and we get nothing.

Is this fact or guess work? There is no choice if true...

Really ? The average MLS salary is $316,777.33

Nothing against Sam , good luck to him. Yet another one that wasn't good enough from the Championship season that the club persisted with. 

Disappointing but quite how anyone expects club loyalty these days is beyond me.

True.

Or perhaps it's an indicator of the state of the club's ambitions (and ability to pay). 

It's quite depressing to look back at the Championship season and the mix of kids and class in that team. The kids didn't progress and either walked away or were binned. And rarely for the better of the team. 

But back to Sam ; all the best to him. 

Diadora Van Basten

I feel that a lot of our fans underrated him.

He injects pace into a game and creates holes for other players.

I would have liked to have seen him given more game time this season.

Glad he's going , at least has mair ambition than keatings , 2 lightweights off realizes canny handle the Scottish premi LOL . Says it all .

Glamorgan Jambo

Shocking decision making by Sam. If this move comes off it will be another Webster to Wigan or Velicka to Norway type deal where he'll end up a lot closer to home in the next transfer window. IMO of course.

Armageddon

Really ? The average MLS salary is $316,777.33

Nothing against Sam , good luck to him. Yet another one that wasn't good enough from the Championship season that the club persisted with.

Sorry. Full package is worth that. I've made it sound like that plus a house and motor. It's a great deal for him. Never his long term goal but worth it as you'll never know where it'll lead. Lifestyle would be great for him.

jamboinglasgow

Really ? The average MLS salary is $316,777.33

I would not look too much into MLS averages, quite a few players in each team (usually home grown players) are on very small salaries.

Not ITK but his agent might be using MLS (no development fee) as a bargaining chip to negotiate down the ?400K that we are due from any UK clubs.

Just a thought....

Maybe he would have stayed if what we'd offered him was what he deemed acceptable.

The club are not blameless here.

Having said that he's not the biggest loss.

jamboinglasgow

Not ITK but his agent might be using MLS (no development fee) as a bargaining chip to negotiate down the ?400K that we are due from any UK clubs.

Just a thought....

Pretty sure McGinn did the same thing when moving to Hibs, was about to join a MLS club, suddenly St Mirren agreed a reduced fee for him with Hibs.

SwindonJambo

How is that "shameful mismanagement"?

Its completely his choice under freedom of contract. Nothing the Club could do about it.

Ok - a rash and knee jerk reaction on my part- apologies to you and others. It's just so grating to develop a player and lose him for nothing. Bosman really has messed the game. If he's been offered a huge pay increase then hard to wish him anything other than well.

If we knew he didn't want to stay, then perhaps steps could have been taken to sell him when he still had time left? It sounds like the club didn't bust a gut to keep him so I'm sure we'll manage without him.

CRWJambo1991

I think it's good to see players try their luck elsewhere rather than down south.

Good luck to him

Lucille's Thirsty

I can't stand him supposed to be a Hearts fan never tried a leg for us apart from the championship season were I thought he was going places.

Underwhelming footballer well rid IMO.

Cruyff Turn

Good luck to him.

Certainly not a good career move however. He's never going to challenge himself or improve over there.

Gorgie_Rules

Pretty sure McGinn did the same thing when moving to Hibs, was about to join a MLS club, suddenly St Mirren agreed a reduced fee for him with Hibs.

St Mirren supposedly have a 33% sell on fee as part of that deal according to a mate that supports them, could be talking rubbish

Can't see him being successful in the US. He is too weak. He would need to be more like CP to succeed.

I can't stand him supposed to be a Hearts fan never tried a leg for us apart from the championship season were I thought he was going places.

Underwhelming footballer well rid IMO.

agree .lightweight but decent falkirk player maybe ? .

I would not look too much into MLS averages, quite a few players in each team (usually home grown players) are on very small salaries.

Agreed. That is my point. There is no way he is getting ?16k per week. Given that the average is inflated by players like Lampard getting ?6 million per season. 

Folk lambasting the guy saying it's not a good move?

Good pay, good standard of living. Facilities state of the art. Plus it's the type of league he may well flourish.

Didn't do Andy Driver or Jose Goncalves too bad over there.

Lucille's Thirsty

agree .lightweight but decent falkirk player maybe ? .

I couldn't get my head round why Sam was so lightweight all he did was go to Nando's.

I couldn't get my head round why Sam was so lightweight all he did was go to Nando's.

LOL he will be a Burger King kinda guy very soon . .. imagine taking the blond burd there . Shock shock horror .

He'll be luck to be on $16k every 6 months. The average player doesn't get much in America!

zdrastvway

Nicholson is just a wee laddie whose head has been turned by money rather than ambition. A good player, but certainly not a great one. I reckon he'll be missed more at Nando's than Hearts. With this move, he's not one I'd rush to welcome back to Tynecastle. Good luck to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'll be luck to be on $16k every 6 months. The average player doesn't get much in America!

Wait until they get an eyeful of his bobbing around style and continually losing possession.

Added to his schoolboy physique and someone is getting a real cracker

Waste of space

Archived