Getting promoted from the Championship at the first attempt....

Martin_T

Is this something we should celebrate more than we do? After all it took Rangers two attempts, Hibs three and Dundee United have just failed at the first attempt.

2014/5 was an enjoyable season for many reasons, but in the context of what's happened to other clubs since, it's perhaps been a greater achievement than we've given it credit for.

Clark Griswold

Rangers also 3 attempts. I celebrated at the time, but it's the championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clerry Jambo

It was a good achievement considering the title was wrapped up weeks from the finish. But the disappointment for me has been the decline since, in terms of results in the big matches

Rangers also 3 attempts. I celebrated at the time, but it's the championship.

Two attempts it was for Rangers, stayed down in 2014/5, won the league in 2015/6.

Clark Griswold

Two attempts it was for Rangers, stayed down in 2014/5, won the league in 2015/6.

You're right, my bad, I was thinking how they failed in the playoff v Motherwell as a separate season.

Point still stands tho IMO.

Bull's-eye

Thankful would be a better feeling than celebrate.

Thankful we have Mrs Budge and Mr Levein at the helm rapidly making us a club to be respected once more.

Different context from us, Hibs and Utd, though...

To your original point, we did fantastically well that year. Got lots of plaudits for it, and rightly so - it was billed as being a tough, close league but we pissed all over the competition.

You're right, my bad, I was thinking how they failed in the playoff v Motherwell as a separate season.

Point still stands tho IMO.

Would agree that it's obviously a lower league, but taking everything in context, it was still a very decent achievement.

It was a good achievement at the time, what followed has slightly diluted the success.

Hearts twitter still highlights winning the championship in its header. Would rather it didn't....2 years later

Jambothump

It instilled a feel good factor that is rapidly being lost, even with the new stand being built.

Christophe Berra signing is a massive boost, Ann Budge needs to recognise the is is  a football club, not a kindergarten where sweary words are frowned upon

Jambothump

We have our DOF to thank for that.

Some want him lynched instead.  :uhoh2:

Would that be the same DOF who banjoed one of his team mates in a pre season friendly, due to his lack of application, by the then club captain.

Aye right, that'll be the soft touch then ?

Maroon Sailor

We have our DOF to thank for that.

Some want him lynched instead.  :uhoh2:

He's been dining out on it ever since

socrates82

Is this something we should celebrate more than we do? After all it took Rangers two attempts, Hibs three and Dundee United have just failed at the first attempt.

2014/5 was an enjoyable season for many reasons, but in the context of what's happened to other clubs since, it's perhaps been a greater achievement than we've given it credit for.

Yes, the habit some have of downplaying it because they don't like Neilson or Levein is weird and being shown up for the weirdness it is every time someone like Hibs, D Utd or Rangers fail to do what we did at the first time of asking (or even as convincingly when they actually manage it).

We have such little - in terms of tangible competition wins - to celebrate as Hearts fans, I never did understand some folk's attitude to the Championship title. Looking back the history books will show it as a pivotal moment in our history.

socrates82

Aye, he just sat back to take the acclaim and didn't immediately start trying to build a better squad capable of finishing 3rd in the Premiership. Oh...

Au contraire, the rapid progress continued again the following season, and we were doing so yet again this season up until we unexpectedly lost our head coach.

MacDonald Jardine

Yes, the habit some have of downplaying it because they don't like Neilson or Levein is weird and being shown up for the weirdness it is every time someone like Hibs, D Utd or Rangers fail to do what we did at the first time of asking (or even as convincingly when they actually manage it).

We have such little - in terms of tangible competition wins - to celebrate as Hearts fans, I never did understand some folk's attitude to the Championship title. Looking back the history books will show it as a pivotal moment in our history.

I don't know anyone who downplays it.

What we can't do is continually use it as a comfort blanket.

Particularly when one of the teams we beat to the title that year finished above us this season and another has won a major trophy and will be joining us.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's not a league anyone can take lightly.

You don't get out of that league just by being better at football. It requires 100% commitment to fight for every point.

It was a brilliant achievement from us to do it the way we did.

I'll always be proud of the hard work the lads put into that season.

socrates82

I don't know anyone who downplays it.

What we can't do is continually use it as a comfort blanket.

Particularly when one of the teams we beat to the title that year finished above us this season and another has won a major trophy and will be joining us.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It was seriously downplayed by the Neilson and Levein Oot lot, almost before that season had ended in some cases.

It's a good achievement but you move on.

Premier League is a higher standard. We had a momentum in winning first 5 games 15/16. After that it was more in line with form of other teams. These early wins got us third place. Form after was 6th place.

I'm aware our 2017 form was 12th place albeit split makes that a bit false.

Hibs took 3 years. See how they get on. See if we can have 4th season in row above them. Which will be 18 in 21 years I think.

It was a terrific achievement. Back from the brink for us and Rangers and Hibs to contend with. To have effectively won it when we beat Rangers in November is extraordinary.

Winning the Chumpionship was expected. I celebrated winning by a record points total but it was more relief rather than joy that we returned at the first attempt.

Maroon Sailor

Au contraire, the rapid progress continued again the following season, and we were doing so yet again this season up until we unexpectedly lost our head coach.

Sounds more like the efforts of our ex head coach rather than the director of note passing.

Gorgie_Rules

Not enough credit was given to Levein and Neilson at the time. I remember turning up to games thinking how many will we score rather than will we win the match. We also played football that was good to watch especially the first half of the season.

Bowmans_Boot

The fact that we are still talking about it speaks volumes: there has been very little to shout about since then.

It was a great achievement but I didnt celebrate it much at all as I dont think winning a lower league is worthy of great celebration.

Winning the Chumpionship was expected. I celebrated winning by a record points total but it was more relief rather than joy that we returned at the first attempt.

That's how I felt. Relief that were back up and we weren't subjected to the playoffs etc.

We got what we deserved that season. Took our punishment and got on with the task in hand instead of moaning about it like the other two.

:)

It was seriously downplayed by the Neilson and Levein Oot lot, almost before that season had ended in some cases.

Hardly surprising your taking this line, but certainly not true

chester copperpot

Are hibs the only team from the top league to be relegated by a championship team in a play off?

Are hibs the only team from the top league to be relegated by a championship team in a play off?

They are. It makes them special.

chester copperpot

They are. It makes them special.

Another first for those wank puffins.

Celebrated it at the time and moved on.

We should not be going on and on about winning a lower league, great at the time and that's it for me.

Another first for those wank puffins.

Genuinely lolled at 'wank puffins'. Just glad I wasn't drinking a cup of coffee.

It was a great achievement in what was probably the hardest ever championship.   One man doesn't make a team but I thought Osman Sow gave us the edge that season.  In fact you could almost point to his departure as coinciding with our current stagnation.  We have tried and failed miserably to find a replacement.  

A_A wehatethehibs

Financially it was massive for the club. The new stand would not be happening on the current timescale had we not got promoted in 2015.

You are right OP, it was definitely bigger and more significant than a lot of people give credit for now.

But the bottom line is, Hearts should never have been there. We will judge levein's tenure based on the team which rolls out next season in year 4 of the 5 year plan, not on getting promoted quickly.

oh ah grantona

If we had gone the full season unbeaten then yes.

What i would like to add is we were in affect an SPL club down in championship. From admin season take away the 15 points deduction and we may have survived (partick finished 15 points clear 1 goal better on difference and Hibs were 12 points clear)

we never really lost a squad from that year ( we did lose experience but did replace it) almost all relegated clubs lose better players we didnt

Rangers had a full time squad playing against part time players ( their players were in an easy mode and were shocked with jump up especially with a Hearts & Hibs in league)

It was a great season but as has been said it was achampionship at end of day only be classed as a good season because it had 2 bigger teams init with us

Sounds more like the efforts of our ex head coach rather than the director of note passing.

Those notes he was passing down must have been spot on for two and half seasons.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Not celebrated but remembered. In reality we should have been the team taking 3 years to get out, so in that respect, no matter what happened last season, we are still ahead of the game. Important we get further ahead of the game now.

Maroon Sailor

Those notes he was passing down must have been spot on for two and half seasons.

Didn't see many get passed to Robbie

Archived